PDA

View Full Version : Project X Shaft accuracy of stated flexes

zigwah
15th May 2009, 08:11 PM
Ok so i got these set of naks and am actually hitting them fairly well, the person got them off was told they were at least 6.5's and the club fitter told me they were closer to 7's.

So i obtained a project x 6.0 3 iron shaft and got the club fitter to pull off the grip of my pitching wedge and put it onto the new shaft so i could soft step the set my self.

So i go to bunnings and buy a propane gun for the job, figuring it will pay for itself straight away, sweet.

Anyways just had a look at the pitching wedge shaft i got the grip taken off and the serial number on the shaft says its 5.5!! Hitting them i didn't think they felt as stiff as stated by the club fitter.

Is his equipment dodgy or are the specs of the x's off or is the club fitter dodge?

knowing what i know now do i still soft step or do i just keep them as they are?

Thoughts

Johnny Canuck
15th May 2009, 09:36 PM
His equipment sound pretty dodgy. I have had a couple sets of 6.0's that say 6.0 on the grip.

I find they play similar in stiffness to my Rifle 6.5's.

virge666
15th May 2009, 09:51 PM
Find a clubfittter with a Frequency analyser...

zigwah
15th May 2009, 09:54 PM
he had one, put the five iron in the vice and told me they were closer to 7.0 but surely they casnt be out that far.

Is there any reason the shaft flex is under the grip and not on the sticker like the one i just got?

Johnny Canuck
15th May 2009, 09:56 PM
Stickers can be interchanged, they mean f-all. I've got some s300 stickers sitting in my cupboard right now that I could throw on any shaft and tell you it is an s300.

zigwah
15th May 2009, 10:00 PM
i just thought there may be a reason for it being serial number and flex under grip and no flex on sticker but flex on sticker of 3 iron shaft i just got.

zigwah
15th May 2009, 10:02 PM
is a frequency analyser where they put the shaft in a vice and then get it to go back and forward over a little black box?

Johnny Canuck
15th May 2009, 10:04 PM
yes to the frequency question.

goonie
15th May 2009, 10:40 PM
my old satin PX 5.0s had no flex on the labels, only under the grip, when i got the clubs they told me they were 5.5s. older PX labels don't have the flex on them.

zigwah
15th May 2009, 10:45 PM
my old satin PX 5.0s had no flex on the labels, only under the grip, when i got the clubs they told me they were 5.5s. older PX labels don't have the flex on them.

I thought it may be something like that.

I think i'm just going to regrip and keep the shafts as is.

goonie
15th May 2009, 10:53 PM
Virge might be able to help with this, but don't the PX shafts have a stiffer butt section that can cause them to read higher than other shafts?

zigwah
15th May 2009, 10:54 PM
I have no idea, this is the question i would like answered.