PDA

View Full Version : Tour Differences

WATiger
15th May 2009, 04:17 PM
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the Fedex Cup and Tournaments such as the current Texas Open. The reason I am asking is why aren't the players from the Players Championship in the Texas open?? Don't all points from all Tournaments go towards the Fedex Cup??:?

Trung
15th May 2009, 04:30 PM
Top players don't need to play week in week out for their points. They tend to skip smaller tournaments.

WATiger
15th May 2009, 04:44 PM
Top players don't need to play week in week out for their points. They tend to skip smaller tournaments.

And it's that easy, thanks Trung I thought there would be more to it than that. I thought the Tornament points would accumulate throughout the year to add up so there would be a winner of the Fedex cup.

Scottt
15th May 2009, 04:53 PM
Points add up each week and the top 120 or so get in to the Fedex Cup playoffs, when points are more of less reset, so the best players only really need to get enough to be top 30 in the Fedex Cup, then play the playoffs.

Add to that the fact that majors and big events like WGCs and The Players etc attract more Fedex Cup points than other tour stops, which further reduces their need to play.

Fedex Cup playoffs is four events in our spring/their autumn where the bottom 30 players are eliminated each week, leaving 30 men in the Tour Championship field - which is the final event of the season (as far as Fedex Cup isconcerned, there are still tour events afterwards, but they don't count).

WATiger
15th May 2009, 04:56 PM
Points add up each week and the top 120 or so get in to the Fedex Cup playoffs, when points are more of less reset, so the best players only really need to get enough to be top 30 in the Fedex Cup, then play the playoffs.

Add to that the fact that majors and big events like WGCs and The Players etc attract more Fedex Cup points than other tour stops, which further reduces their need to play.

Fedex Cup playoffs is four events in our spring/their autumn where the bottom 30 players are eliminated each week, leaving 30 men in the Tour Championship field - which is the final event of the season (as far as Fedex Cup isconcerned, there are still tour events afterwards, but they don't count).

Thank you Scottt, summed up very nicely!