PDA

View Full Version : New Set

WATiger
14th May 2009, 04:39 PM
Ok everyone so this is the gear I am ordering soon, I may have got a bit carried away but when you have been waiting for as long as I have to play on grass I reckon I deserve it.. Please let me know your thoughts;

Taylormade Drivers:

Driver-graphite shaft (Burner)
3 Wood-graphite shaft (Burner)
5 Wood-graphite shaft (Burner)
#3 Hybrid Graphite Shaft (Burner)
Taylormade Irons:

4-9 Burner Plus steel shaft
PW, SW & LW (60 degrees)
Putter:

Suzuka #1 or Daytona (not sure yet)
Accessories:

Taylormade Marenello cart bag
Smoothy Calssic buggy
Footjoy Contour shoes
Taylormade Burner umbrella
Taylormade towels x 2
Taylormade TP Red LPD balls
Taylormade Burner glove
Taylormade Burner hat
Clothing will be purchased when I pick up the gear.

So there you go, I will be a walking talking advertisment for Taylormade......:wink:
Hope I have made some good calls and again please let me know what you think and make any recommendations you feel would be of benifit.

Cheers

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:43 PM
Please tell me you're not paying retail?!

just
14th May 2009, 04:48 PM
Something tells me WATigers not short of a buck and not as averse to paying retail as some of us!

PeteyD
14th May 2009, 04:51 PM
Get the new burner irons rather than the burner plus.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:56 PM
Northern WA = mining money. Say no more.

Hux
14th May 2009, 05:04 PM
Wow that is a a serious TM affendicio.

Nothing against the brand but if you aren't being sponsored you could get other brands as well.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 05:07 PM

Northern WA Mining Also = big debt and ok guys what are we talking about "dont tell me you are paying retail" How else do you do it for the uneducated in this area?

Why the Burner Irons instead of the Burner Plus please??

WATiger
14th May 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow that is a a serious TM affendicio.

Nothing against the brand but if you aren't being sponsored you could get other brands as well.

What would you recommend please?

Hux
14th May 2009, 05:20 PM
Mate really depends on what you have tried. If you are ordering off the catalogue its a tough gig (and easy for us city folk to pick on I guess).
What is your golf ability? It almost sounds like you are starting out? (Apologies if you aren't).

I personally have a TM driver (Tour Burner TP) and like it. I thought the straight burner had a light shaft which may not be suitable if you are a hard hitter with a fast swing. You may want to consider this.
Same with the woods. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Irons - way too personal there are too many brands. Do the Burner plus suit your swing, are the shafts what you need?

Putter - way too personal a thing. If you haven't tried it don't buy it as you will chop and change before you find what you want.

Can you hit long irons...should you not get more hybrids. Personally I think there are better hybrids than TM. The new Cobra Baffler TWS for starters as the older 2008 DWS model was great so the TWS can only be better.

Wedges...well TM Z Cutters are okay but have you thought about the industry standard Titliest Vokey's, Cleveland CG12 or 14's or the Callaway X Forged wedges. All are worthy but some more suited to a better quality player (although it hasn't stopped me) :-)

Are you good enough to hit TP RED LDP's? great ball and I use them myself but if you are not hitting the ball hard you would be better with other balls. Don't get focussed. There is a thread here about 8million pages (slight exaggeration) long discussing balls.

Some folks here might slag you if you turn up looking like a one brand brochure :-) Sorry they WILL slag you.

Lucasto23
14th May 2009, 05:29 PM
[quote=Hux;316520]

Wedges...well TM Z Cutters are okay but have you thought about the industry standard Titliest Vokey's, Cleveland CG12 or 14's or the Callaway X Forged wedges. All are worthy but some more suited to a better quality player (although it hasn't stopped me) :-)

Hux Tm wedges kick the sh*t out of any thing cleveland have spit out in a while, and if the guy is starting out probably will be the best wedges for him as the are very consistant no matter where you hit them out of the face with in reason.

But the rest of what hux siad is spot on:smt038

WATiger
14th May 2009, 05:31 PM
Mate really depends on what you have tried. If you are ordering off the catalogue its a tough gig (and easy for us city folk to pick on I guess).
What is your golf ability? It almost sounds like you are starting out? (Apologies if you aren't).

I personally have a TM driver (Tour Burner TP) and like it. I thought the straight burner had a light shaft which may not be suitable if you are a hard hitter with a fast swing. You may want to consider this.
Same with the woods. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Irons - way too personal there are too many brands. Do the Burner plus suit your swing, are the shafts what you need?

Putter - way too personal a thing. If you haven't tried it don't buy it as you will chop and change before you find what you want.

Can you hit long irons...should you not get more hybrids. Personally I think there are better hybrids than TM. The new Cobra Baffler TWS for starters as the older 2008 DWS model was great so the TWS can only be better.

Are you good enough to hit TP RED LDP's? great ball and I use them myself but if you are not hitting the ball hard you would be better with other balls. Don't get focussed. There is a thread here about 8million pages (slight exaggeration) long discussing balls.

Some folks here might slag you if you turn up looking like a one brand brochure :-) Sorry they WILL slag you.

Cheers Hux great feedback and just what I was after, I am not just starting out, but I have not played on grass for many many years and I was sort of treating myself or so I thought.

I will do a bit more research from the posts around this site regarding clubs and balls before I go ahead with the deal or any deal for that matter.

Thanks again for the feedback and I might PM you if you don't mind if I have any questions.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Please tell me you're not paying retail?!

Sorry Scott but what other option is there?? Unfortunately after 25 years of working in the bush that is all we know.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 05:39 PM
Get the new burner irons rather than the burner plus.

Why is that please PeteyD, thanks mate,

Yossarian
14th May 2009, 05:51 PM
Mate TM makes nice stuff, but the question as hux has posed is it nice stuff for you and your swing?
Try and have a hit of some other gear, maybe talk to a clubfitter if you can and find out swing speed and such, but at the end of the day if you like the clubs then thats good.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 06:03 PM
Mate TM makes nice stuff, but the question as hux has posed is it nice stuff for you and your swing?
Try and have a hit of some other gear, maybe talk to a clubfitter if you can and find out swing speed and such, but at the end of the day if you like the clubs then thats good.

Thanks Yoss, that is a problem for me, actually being able to go and try different clubs, I have been talking with a few people and have got a bit of feedback but like you and Hux said will they suit me.

I wonder if the place where I am buying them could send me up a demo club just to have a few swings with, just a thought.

Yossarian
14th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Is it too late to put the purchase on hold?
If you could you could maybe come into perth at some stage and go through a few stores??
From everything i've been told about golf and clubs its the shafts that are the most important aspect and you can always get those changed but its extra coin you might not want to spend....

adlo
14th May 2009, 06:14 PM
WATiger, as Yossarian said if you get down to Perth you could try out heaps of gear.

You will be amazed what bargains you can source through golf forums or some good quality US sellers, or through Tomson :) . We have a few gear ho's around these parts, all happy to help you save some $$

WATiger
14th May 2009, 06:14 PM
Is it too late to put the purchase on hold?
If you could you could maybe come into perth at some stage and go through a few stores??
From everything i've been told about golf and clubs its the shafts that are the most important aspect and you can always get those changed but its extra coin you might not want to spend....

Yeah I can put the purchase on hold but I dont know when I will be in Perth again, I didn't want to wait until we move down..... one of the reasons in all honesty though is the dael they are offering stops at the end of June. It is a pretty good deal to the tune of about $400+, but what do you do... I know what you are saying, it may cost me more in the long run.:?

razaar
14th May 2009, 06:15 PM
Why is that please PeteyD, thanks mate,
Petey has gone silent. The burner is a new concept in iron design, with progressive topline (thickness) in the longer irons, progressive size through the set, progressive sole width and progressive offset. These features will appeal to the club-ho, whether it works for you is another matter. Try before you buy is the way to go.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 06:16 PM
WATiger, as Yossarian said if you get down to Perth you could try out heaps of gear.

You will be amazed what bargains you can source through golf forums or some good quality US sellers, or through Tomson :) . We have a few gear ho's around these parts, all happy to help you save some $$

Yeah I might have to start looking around a bit more, who is Tomson..... you?? Thanks for the feedback too.

adlo
14th May 2009, 06:23 PM
Tomson is a member on these boards. He has a fair bit of spare gear.

Anyway, don't be scared to ask for help on these forums. People are very willing to help and like I said, can quite often help you source gear at decent prices.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 06:24 PM
Tomson is a member on these boards. He has a fair bit of spare gear.

Anyway, don't be scared to ask for help on these forums. People are very willing to help and like I said, can quite often help you source gear at decent prices.

No worries Adlo, thanks mate.

zigwah
14th May 2009, 06:42 PM
I have been back in the game for about 4 months now and bought all my gear here mate, all good value. Try not to go retail you will always get better for less here imo.

as an example i got my wedges here, looked almost brand new and got 3 for the price of 1 brand spanker retail thanx Mike, i still love them.

So have a look around in the pro shop and you WILL get bargains and it sounds like you have the time to cherry pick, you won't be disappointed.

good luck

WATiger
14th May 2009, 06:57 PM
I have been back in the game for about 4 months now and bought all my gear here mate, all good value. Try not to go retail you will always get better for less here imo.

as an example i got my wedges here, looked almost brand new and got 3 for the price of 1 brand spanker retail thanx Mike, i still love them.

So have a look around in the pro shop and you WILL get bargains and it sounds like you have the time to cherry pick, you won't be disappointed.

good luck

Cheers Zig I will go have a look now!!

Scottt
14th May 2009, 07:19 PM
Also doesn't hurt to trawl the WITB threads of the people with lots of excess gear like Haysey, Braddles (even DJHgolf if you like purrdy things and have some coin to spend!) and just PM offers on gear to them. I have picked up a few things that way on stuff that wasn't technically for sale.

WATiger
14th May 2009, 07:35 PM
Also doesn't hurt to trawl the WITB threads of the people with lots of excess gear like Haysey, Braddles (even DJHgolf if you like purrdy things and have some coin to spend!) and just PM offers on gear to them. I have picked up a few things that way on stuff that wasn't technically for sale.

Thanks Scott, will do mate.

TheTrueReview
14th May 2009, 07:35 PM
... I have picked up a few things that way on stuff that wasn't technically for sale.

As the late great Kerry Packer said, "Everything's for sale".

Scottt
14th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Exactly right.
"We've established what I am, mate, it's just the price we're haggling over!"

markTHEblake
14th May 2009, 08:58 PM
but when you have been waiting for as long as I have to play on grass I reckon I deserve it.

Koolin Island? Hard Rock fairways :-)

Please let me know your thoughts;

Buying clubs off the shelf gets you clubs that dont work.getting advice and custom fitted from qualified clubmaker gets you clubs that are perfect.

dc68
14th May 2009, 09:12 PM

Not me.... never been off at either just been called a ho.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 09:15 PM
I actually got sledged by a guy at Bardwell Valley one day because I had TM irons and a Nike driver in a Titty bag.

Johnny Canuck
14th May 2009, 09:42 PM
I actually got sledged by a guy at Bardwell Valley one day because I had TM irons and a Nike driver in a Titty bag.

Did he sledge you the next week when it was Ping irons with a Taylor driver in a Mizzy bag?

Scottt
14th May 2009, 09:45 PM
:mrgreen: :smt038

You're on fire today JC.

Mayhem
14th May 2009, 10:57 PM

Very True!!!! Retail with a tip to the sales assistant!!

WATiger
15th May 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, I will take it on board and have a very good look around before I make my decision.

On another note; Northen WA = mining money. say no more, is a bit of a well, funny comment. It's not how you percieve it I can tell you that, yes the money is good but we have 1 shop here and about 2,000 people. We do a hell of a lot of hours and when we head to Perth we drive for about 17 hours. Look I could go on for ever but it's not as good as it looks from the outside.

razaar
15th May 2009, 01:30 PM
What about the fishing?

WATiger
15th May 2009, 03:04 PM
What about the fishing?

6 Hours from the coast and I work Monday to Friday so I wouldn'd know.

Scottt
15th May 2009, 04:43 PM
I never suggested it was a sweet, easy life, just a profitable one, which it would need to be to get blokes to go through the lifestyle. Are the hookers any good at least?

WATiger
15th May 2009, 05:03 PM
I never suggested it was a sweet, easy life, just a profitable one, which it would need to be to get blokes to go through the lifestyle. Are the hookers any good at least?

None here Scottt, Married now and my life with hookers is well and truely over......:lol: and mate the more you earn the more you owe.

simmsy
16th May 2009, 05:18 PM
yeah try and be patient on the purchasing WAT. if you can get to Perth and try out as much gear as you can. And definately get a club fitter to make sure the clubs fit you.
Buying them without trying them will very rarely work out good for you.
Good for us on the forum - as you will be flogging them off to us at half price in 6 months.

As the tosser Mick Malthouse once was heard to say -

"the ox is slow but the earth is patient" or some crap like that.

Have fun shopping.

simmsy..

WATiger
16th May 2009, 05:34 PM
yeah try and be patient on the purchasing WAT. if you can get to Perth and try out as much gear as you can. And definately get a club fitter to make sure the clubs fit you.
Buying them without trying them will very rarely work out good for you.
Good for us on the forum - as you will be flogging them off to us at half price in 6 months.

As the tosser Mick Malthouse once was heard to say -

"the ox is slow but the earth is patient" or some crap like that.

Have fun shopping.

simmsy..

Thanks Simmsy and I will be arranging to go down and get fitted soon, I have been speaking with a few people and reading the posts on here and it looks like the smart thing to do.

So sorry no cheap clubs for you!!

Golfnut
16th May 2009, 06:49 PM
If you are coming down mate....i've only heard very good things from a couple of friends who've recently used the club fitter at Royal Fremantle GC....think they mainly do Titty and Cobra though but you could do worse picking either of these brands me thinks.

WATiger
16th May 2009, 07:06 PM
If you are coming down mate....i've only heard very good things from a couple of friends who've recently used the club fitter at Royal Fremantle GC....think they mainly do Titty and Cobra though but you could do worse picking either of these brands me thinks.

Thanks GN, I will have a look at it, may have to go down South to get it done, I will only have one day, Mums down there so I wil have to kill two birds with one stone. They have been really good with us in the past so I will see what happens Our house is also down there too.

Thanks again mate;)

WATiger
20th May 2009, 10:57 PM
Righto, I have booked my flights and I will be travelling down South next month with my Son as we are both going to get fitted out with clubs. I am still keen on keeping all my gear the same, sorry, but thats me. If they dont fit and I have to mix and match then so be it, whatever the pro's recommend. Can't wait and it would be great to get a round in as well but I will see what happens.

I have read many posts on this forum since I joined and a few things have enlightened me, so thanks to everyone. I do know that Titleist seem very popular. I have also changed my mind somewhat on the putter and really like the look of the Odyssey putters but again I will leave it up the pro's.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:17 PM
WAT, if you're getting fitted, it's hard to go too far wrong. Some fitters are better than others, but you are still going to end up with a good set of clubs. Should be a great trip for you and your son. Hope you enjoy the fitting and the shiny new clubs!

Yossarian
20th May 2009, 11:17 PM
Depending on what shop you go into you might get a guy thats trying to sell you the right clubs for him, not you. Don't get pressured into anything and don't believe the lauch monitor too much.
But have fun mate, i love buying golf clubs:)

Oh and try as many putters as you possibly can!

WATiger
20th May 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys and I the shop where I am getting fitted is actually listed on here as one of the places to buy so I should be ok. I have dealt with these blokes before and they are genuine down to earth blokes.

I plan on spending most the day there so I will be going putter mad....:D

Yossarian
20th May 2009, 11:29 PM
:D

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:32 PM
Tourfit?

WATiger
20th May 2009, 11:36 PM
Tourfit?

No, further South, they are retailers.... geezus I hear you saying. But look I dont even have a handicap so I will be happy to get something I can hit the faiway with, it's too cold in the shade down there where I would normally spend most of my time.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:42 PM
No mate, no Jesus from me. I had a set fitted at a retailer once. Probably not as involved as a proper fitter, but the specs I got were very good nonetheless.

WATiger
20th May 2009, 11:44 PM
No mate, no Jesus from me. I had a set fitted at a retailer once. Probably not as involved as a proper fitter, but the specs I got were very good nonetheless.

Well thats good to hear, this blokes a pro and a course instructor and he has always looked after us, so I will go back.

Scottt
20th May 2009, 11:48 PM
Good service counts, IMO. It'll be a great experience for your son in any case, getting fit for a set of clubs with his dad.

Golfnut
21st May 2009, 12:24 AM
Good luck with the fitting WAT.....where are you actually going to get fitted up?

WATiger
21st May 2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah thanks Scottt and its a surprise for the boy, he doesn't know yet which makes it better.

Can I say on the forum where I am going GN??

Scottt
21st May 2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, of course you can.

WATiger
21st May 2009, 08:06 PM
Well ok then...... The Golf Box Bunbury with Derek & Paul, for those of you who know these guys I am sure you will agree that they are very good at what they do.;)

WATiger
25th June 2009, 09:56 PM
Ok so I went down South last weekend and was fitted with my clubs, had to get an inch added to the length, changed the grips and hored right out..:)

Got the kids both fitted as well and we are joining the Bunbury golf Club next month when we move down. Look out trees..

Tongueboy
25th June 2009, 10:14 PM
what ya getting?

WATiger
25th June 2009, 10:35 PM
what ya getting?

Well......

Taylormade Burners 4-PW & 60 Degree LW
Taylormade Burner Driver (free with Irons)
Taylormade Hybrid - 3 - 19 degrees
3&5 Fairway woods Taylormade Burners
Itsy Bitsy Spider Putter (tried a few really liked this one)

TMX Tour bag (sorry had to have it, looked at the others and I liked this one)

Storm buggy
Gut Bster umbrella

Clothes (couple of polo's & a pair of slacks), Footjoy contour shoes, Glove, tees, e7+ balls, just oredred the Footjoy fully waterproof jacket, towels x 2 and and a few other odds and ends...:oops:

Sorry guys but I have brought this gear for life..... yes I have. So I have done it right the first time and I will leave it at that.

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2009, 10:55 PM
the sales rep you got would have loved you!

good luck with the clubs. you are joining a great club.

Golfnut
25th June 2009, 11:56 PM
You TM ho!!!! :)
Nah decent gear there mate.....Any reason why you went all TM? just curious...

5wd probably not really needed in that setup as you'll find the 3 hybrid is pretty strong and slots in well between 3w and 4i....might be worth handing back the 5wd and getting some "fill-in" wedges between PW which is probably 48* and your 60*LW....remember these will be your scoring clubs so would pay to have more options.

simmsy
26th June 2009, 12:03 AM
ditto what golfnut just said.

hell with what you just bought from this guy tell him to throw in a wedge or two!!

Golfnut
26th June 2009, 12:07 AM
^^^I'll say.....did you get much change from $2.5k WATiger?

Johnny Canuck
26th June 2009, 12:42 AM
don't throw away a 5wood for a wedge. some people hit woods better than hybrids and vice versa.

i carry both as there is enough of a gap and they are very different clubs in terms of the shots they produce.

Golfnut
26th June 2009, 01:22 AM
Not doubting a 5wd could be useful but the Burner Hybrids are so easy to hit moreso than any of their woods.....still think he needs something between PW and LW though.

WATiger
26th June 2009, 01:01 PM
You TM ho!!!! :)
Nah decent gear there mate.....Any reason why you went all TM? just curious...

5wd probably not really needed in that setup as you'll find the 3 hybrid is pretty strong and slots in well between 3w and 4i....might be worth handing back the 5wd and getting some "fill-in" wedges between PW which is probably 48* and your 60*LW....remember these will be your scoring clubs so would pay to have more options.

Thanks GN, good idea I will have a talk with them, I did question that but I will do it again.

WATiger
26th June 2009, 01:03 PM
^^^I'll say.....did you get much change from $2.5k WATiger?

No not much, I went with Taylormade because a mate of mine swore by them years ago and I like the look of them too.

I might add another wedge anyway and if I find I don't use the wood I can get rid of it later I suppose.

Grunt
26th June 2009, 01:27 PM
Nice Irons, I did a test for Golf Australia mag on these only a few weeks ago. Think it will be in this months issue.
The loft on the PW is very strong though, might even be as strong as 45*.

henno
26th June 2009, 05:08 PM
Nice Irons, I did a test for Golf Australia mag on these only a few weeks ago. Think it will be in this months issue.

That's a weak PW in TM non-TP terms. I think the CGB irons are 44*.

WATiger
27th June 2009, 10:11 AM

Great thanks Grunt I will make sure I get it again this month, looking forward to it.