PDA

View Full Version : Big Barny Pics Added

zigwah
14th May 2009, 11:31 AM
Well I’m back from Tassie, and what a great time we all had. I will try to right a review worthy of the course that is Barnbougle Dunes.

First time we played the course we had a 0850 tee time, out of bed at 0600 and drove to the course, as we stayed just up the road the first night.

Turning into the golf course, you couldn’t see the truly spectacular course we were about to play, a long windy drive way past beef cattle and geese and past the cottages we were to stay in the next 2 nights, we got dropped of at the pro shop and it was still a little dark, we got a couple of buckets of balls and the guy at the pro shop (Parto) showed us where the practice fairway was, which I didn’t even see on the way in, and also the chipping and bunker practice green and the practice putting green.

Walking down to the practice fairway you could just make out the fairway of the 10th hole, and even in the dim light it looked like all was going to be good.

Just before 0700 fog came in off the ocean and blanketed the entire area it was a beautiful sight. We hit half a bucket of balls on the practice fairway which was in great nick and took a bit of getting used to the fescue and bent mix of the turf, very tight lies, but not bad tight hard for me to explain because I have never played on fairways like them. Next it was off to the chipping area and then finally a few practice putts.

Back at the pro shop we had a choice off normal looking buggies or these big wheel things that look a bit odd, Parto told us they were more to hire but much easier to get around with, and believe he was right, if you ever go there defiantly grab one you won’t be sorry.

The first day we lost a lot of balls, my son lost 3 on the first hole alone, that is one of the first thing you notice about this golf course, if you are of the fairway, even just a little you are most likely dead and wont find your ball, although you may find quite a few that aren’t yours, good balls too pro v’s and cally tours were quite common, not sure what I shot on that first round it was ok but not spectacular.

The fairways were amazing quite wide in places, the greens were a little slow to begin with but with some of the slopes that were on them it didn’t matter. The bunkering is something to behold, especially the natural sand blow bunker on the par 4 4th which was the most massive bunker I have ever seen and thankfully I didn’t catch it the three time I played it, got some nice pics standing in it though for show. The scenery was awesome all in all it was fantastic. The course played fairly easy until the last two hole we played there when the wind was picking up and apparently today Thursday it was going to be unplayable with 50 knot winds. I was a bit miffed that I didn’t get to see the weather teeth until those last 2 holes, but in the end it didn’t really matter in the end because it was still an amazing experience, we play 27 holes the first day and as I had only played 18 holes twice since starting back at golf I was truly rooted and didn’t think I would play the course again while we were there, I had a days break in Launceston and by that evening I was contemplating giving it another go the next day. Which I will get to shortly.
The food and service at Barnbougle and all the places we ate in Tassie was exceptional, restaurants and cafes in Victoria should take note. I ate about 4 or 5 dozen oysters in different places and all were outstanding except for the ½ dozen I had on the return trip on the ship which were clearly not Tasmanian oysters but Sydney rock oysters but the waitress insisted they were tassie oysters anyway my partner persuaded me to let it go as we had all had a great time. So if you go on the ship to tassie eat before you get on because the food aint flash and it’s expensive.

In Tassie we ate everything from oysters, steak, duck and even wallaby and it was all great better than anything I have experienced in Victoria in the last 5 years except for number 8 at crown which was in a class of it’s own.

Monday morning came and I was again pumped about the experience, my son only wanted to play 9 hole this time around and Parto let him play for nicks which I thought was a nice gesture.

I wont go through and detail the course hole by hole shot by shot but will try and just give thoughts experiences and highlights. My second round was much better than the first 43 39 82 and I was very happy with that score with 2 doubles on the front nine.

All holes were played from the back tees, which were called Forrester.

1st
506 metre par 5

Nice opening hole blind tee shot if you want to be far enough down to reach the green in 2, reached the green on the first day and 3 putted for a 5 L

2nd

381 metre par 4

straight forward hole but one I doubled on my second round with a fat pitch fluffed chip and 3 putts

3rd
339 metre par4

Suited my fade as there is mounds running right down the center of the fairway splitting it in 2 the right half being higher and the easier place to attack the pin but a blind tee shot to this area

4th 271 metre par 4

Loved this hole, put it on the green the first 2 times I played it and missed the second day to make bogey L this is the hole with the huge bunker.

The walk from the 4th green to the 5 th tee is truly amazing with an ocean view and a view of Bridport and right along the coast.

5th 201 metre par 3

Great hole Fairway sloping left feeding wayward shots to the hole and anything right DEAD! Parred this every day J

6th 381 metre par 4

Long tee shot over dune guarding right side of fairway about a 240 carry and anything right DEAD! Bogeyed this final round from perfect postion and a 3 putt, dead both times first day

7th

112 metre par 3

The signature hole but because of the calm conditions I found it a bit benign and preferred other par 3’s this needs to wind up to really show its teeth par bogey par

8th

446 metre par 4

A monster of a hole, wide landing area first time round Nailed driver off the tee and 4 iron to the right front of the green poor drive bogey second time around. This one would play much shorter with the wind blowing

9th

400 metre par 4

Another longinsh hole but looks easier still managed bogey 3 times

10th 409 metre par 4

Long par 4 Bogey Bogey Bogey

11th 475 metre par 5

wide open hole Bogey

12th 271 metre par 4

Loved this hole landed it on the green first time I played it then same as the 4th second time round but with a 3 putt bogey.

13th 188 metre par 3

Nearly holes out in my last round here missed a six footer for birdie made par nice hole.

14th 508 metre par 5

Second round Hit drive poorly and had 242 to the front of the green hit 3 wood well and just caught left bunker by about 6 inches missed the sand save and made 5 L

15th 321 metre par 4

Don’t remember this one par

16th 153 metre par 3

This one for mine rivaled the 5th for the best par 3 Danger all around safe area for the slicers on the right par par par

17th 400 metre par 4

This is were the wind got up in my rounds, the 2 holes L

The wind changed everything it was coming off the ocean right to left into my face crushed driver off the tee 250 odd metres and then hit a perfectly struck 4 iron from about 118 to the heart of the green 2 putts for par

18th 403 metre par 4

Another hole in to the wind this played futher that the 17th Driver to the top of the hill and nailed 3 wood from 155 to the side of the green pin high shit chip 2 putt 5

What a great course anyone who says it isn’t has no idea, everyone should play here once at least. Defiantly get a yardage book and be brave

Cheers

Zig

BrisVegas
14th May 2009, 11:56 AM
good review Zig. 15,17,18 can be monsters into the prevailing wind when it gets up, that's for the sure. The tradeoff is that you get to play holes like 6,8,9,10,11,14 downwind most of the time!

I'm waiting patiently for my next trip there....

henno
14th May 2009, 12:50 PM
I will try to right a review worthy of the course that is Barnbougle Dunes.

Sorry, you lost me write there.

zigwah
14th May 2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry, you lost me write there.

oh well

Flowergirl
14th May 2009, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear that you loved the course and that you had a good time. We were there in late Feb and it was one of my golfing highligjhts and can't wait to get back there soon.:mrgreen:

3oneday
14th May 2009, 01:14 PM
Was wondering why we hadn't been zigwah'd lately.

sms316
14th May 2009, 01:33 PM
15th 321 metre par 4

Don’t remember this one par

This must have been when the rumbos started to kick in.

razaar
14th May 2009, 01:39 PM
Great stuff, Zig.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 03:12 PM
Good stuff, Zig. Thanks. I loved the bit about your wife having to calm you down about the oysters. Sounds just like me and my missus :lol:

Glad you and your boy enjoyed the course. Did losing so many balls put him off the place, or did he still come away raving about it, too?

Johnny Canuck
14th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Can you imagine if Zig went off at the waitress like he has gone off in here? We'd be seeing him on the news. Ferry hijacked by irate oyster lover.

Good review Zigmund.

Moe Norman
14th May 2009, 04:26 PM
heading back late this year if #2 opens when expected.

Hard to beat for a golf trip when the second one opens, last visit cost me $600 including everything, now you get two courses and probably won't spend an extra $

Hux
14th May 2009, 04:30 PM

:smt038

Hux
14th May 2009, 04:32 PM

Hard to beat for a golf trip when the second one opens, last visit cost me $600 including everything, now you get two courses and probably won't spend an extra $

Absolutely Moe. I was amazed that the place impressed my non golfing wife enough that she would go back.
1st class facilities backed up by Tassie dining excellence.

zigwah
14th May 2009, 05:16 PM
good review Zig. 15,17,18 can be monsters into the prevailing wind when it gets up, that's for the sure. The tradeoff is that you get to play holes like 6,8,9,10,11,14 downwind most of the time!

Yeah the wind really makes you think even harder, i was hoping to see the course in all it's glory, maybe next time :)

Glad to hear that you loved the course and that you had a good time. We were there in late Feb and it was one of my golfing highligjhts and can't wait to get back there soon.:mrgreen:

A highlight for me also, best course i have ever played.

Was wondering why we hadn't been zigwah'd lately.

you didn't read my Tassie thread? oh well i had a feeling there were a few that didn't bother anymore :)

Didn't drink on course the whole time :) would have been a waste.

Good stuff, Zig. Thanks. I loved the bit about your wife having to calm you down about the oysters. Sounds just like me and my missus :lol:
Glad you and your boy enjoyed the course. Did losing so many balls put him off the place, or did he still come away raving about it, too?

I'm very picky about my dining out, which speaks volumes about my other experiences in Tassie gorgeous food and service the whole time, oh except for the overpriced fish and chips in Launceston, can't remember the name of the place but you'll know it when you see it.

Can you imagine if Zig went off at the waitress like he has gone off in here? We'd be seeing him on the news. Ferry hijacked by irate oyster lover.

Good review Zigmund.

Haha, i did try and take the kids to the bridge, but apparently even the CEO can't even go up there when they are at sea :roll:

They have 6 holes completed and all will be ready by spring

Absolutely Moe. I was amazed that the place impressed my non golfing wife enough that she would go back.
1st class facilities backed up by Tassie dining excellence.

My partner was stunned by the views and will go back for sure, i even played golf on mothers day with her blessing :)

BrisVegas
14th May 2009, 06:37 PM
are there plans for a new clubhouse? is the new course down the back of the inlet near 15?

zigwah
14th May 2009, 08:56 PM
are there plans for a new clubhouse? is the new course down the back of the inlet near 15?

I'm not sure, a guy on the ship on the way back told me about the new holes

Moe Norman
14th May 2009, 09:18 PM
my wife won't be joining me, whether she is impressed by the facilities or not!

Scottt
14th May 2009, 09:22 PM
The Aussie or Kiwi from work and a few of the Woodsmen?

zigwah
14th May 2009, 09:27 PM
my wife won't be joining me, whether she is impressed by the facilities or not!

Would love to organise a guys week at Barny it would be great fun, expensive but great fun.

Moe Norman
14th May 2009, 09:56 PM
The Aussie or Kiwi from work and a few of the Woodsmen?
I know its hard, but try not to be a dickhead all the time.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 09:58 PM
It's a joke Moe, apropos of your earlier offering at TGF and the story of the week. Lighten up a bit.

zigwah
14th May 2009, 10:58 PM

Yes the course play very differently everytime you play it, which is a plus for me, can't wait to go back also

BrisVegas
15th May 2009, 08:22 AM
So, if the new course is opening in Spring.... I reckon Feb-Apr 2010 would be a good time to head back again for another long weekend of golf. :-k

zigwah
15th May 2009, 08:27 AM
I reckon so, will be great if the new course is as good as the first

zigwah
17th May 2009, 06:46 PM
Didn't go in this bunker but photo op was good

zigwah
17th May 2009, 06:59 PM
some more pics

zigwah
17th May 2009, 07:08 PM
more pics

just
17th May 2009, 07:12 PM
Some of you could take lessons from Ziggy in the use of thumbnails. Nice shots.

Webster
17th May 2009, 07:17 PM
thumbnails are for pussies.

adlo
17th May 2009, 07:33 PM
Such a great looking course. When the second course opens I will head over for a golf trip for sure.

just
17th May 2009, 07:34 PM
thumbnails are for pussies.

Nothing wrong with pussies Jack.

macjackass
18th May 2009, 11:38 AM
Great pics. Cant beat a links course IMO. Paraparaumu on Thursday, cant wait!!

kobbsno10
18th May 2009, 01:22 PM
[quote=Johnny Canuck;316506]Can you imagine if Zig went off at the waitress like he has gone off in here? We'd be seeing him on the news. Ferry hijacked by irate oyster lover.quote]

LOL! :lol:

Great review Zig, makes me wanna get down there and try the place for myself!

Moe Norman
18th May 2009, 07:52 PM
geez that 10th green complex is a ripper, never seen it from that angle. Good shot.

Scottt
18th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Great pics. Cant beat a links course IMO. Paraparaumu on Thursday, cant wait!!

If you're staying in Wullingtun, allow plenty of time for the drive, some nice scenic areas that you might like to stop and savour, and it's a bit windy (as in curvy) in patches.

Flavzz
26th May 2009, 05:14 PM
nice review mate, considering going to tassie with this course being the main driving force for going...