PDA

View Full Version : My next set of irons should be.......

Fishman Dan
13th May 2009, 09:08 PM
Some recent Pro Shop posts through here have had me thinking. I've watched a set of I10's go away, and Cleveland's at a stupid cheap price. I've been using the I3 Blades for several years now, and it's fair to say that my golf isn't getting;

* Any better, without getting much worse
* More frequent
* Easier to justify a shiny new set of clubs

Quite often I'm getting a good start to a round, only to fade badly towards the end. I put this largely due to stamina, but as I get tired these clubs don't get any easier to hit. I don't practice - I barely have the time to play.

Considering advancements in technology, where should I be looking? There's some cheap'ish TM RAC's on eBay, I've always liked the look of them. I figure a the I3 Blade is more like the modern muscle-back. Mizuno's seem to cater for all types these days?

I'm quite partial to Ping as well, though I'm more partial to price!

No Top Flite Tours need apply!

markTHEblake
13th May 2009, 09:20 PM
You are getting old, so lighter shafts, softer tips, and shovels, you need shovels with a high COG.

X-22s get a good wrap, i'd recommend others, but an iphone user is obviuously a brand whore.

Scottt
13th May 2009, 09:22 PM
Look at the MIzzy MP-52s, MP playability with a bit easier launch and more forgiveness.
i10s also a playable club with easier launch and more forgiveness.
I've hit a mate's TM RAC LTs a few times and they are a nice in-between players/I need some help club.
Maybe some AP1s if cash allows?

dc68
13th May 2009, 09:22 PM
Ones that can hit themselves.

Fishman Dan
13th May 2009, 09:36 PM
You are getting old, so lighter shafts, softer tips, and shovels, you need shovels with a high COG.

X-22s get a good wrap, i'd recommend others, but an iphone user is obviuously a brand whore.

Not in love with the idea of Callaway's, but I can't argue with your logic - I am a brand whore. Are Ping's the Apple of golf clubs? They don't appeal to all, they look different, they essentially do the same job, and the resale is generally better.

3oneday
13th May 2009, 09:38 PM
No Top Flite Tours need apply!
Too much stick for you.

razaar
13th May 2009, 09:51 PM
The Ping G10's seem to be a good all-rounder, particularly if one's grouping on the face is the area of a 20 cent piece +. From left field... Callaway's Great Big Bertha Tungsten Titanium irons (1997) are as good as any for forgiveness. Not sure if they ever improved on this design in the high MOI heads.

markTHEblake
13th May 2009, 09:54 PM
Not in love with the idea of Callaway's, but I can't argue with your logic - I am a brand whore. Are Ping's the Apple of golf clubs? They don't appeal to all, they look different, they essentially do the same job, and the resale is generally better.

I have heard Rapture or i10 is good - just whichever one suits better. I think one of those is specifically for the outright chopper

adlo
13th May 2009, 10:31 PM
Raptures are choppers clubs. G10 or i10 would be better.

G10's if you need the easy launch aspect.

BBM Rick
13th May 2009, 10:39 PM
Perfection was attained with the Ping Eye 2. Look no further.

DracZ
13th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Most people have come to the conclusion that the i10's are more demanding then any other club in the "i" series - your i3 blades included. So if your looking for something more forgiving, the i10's are definitely not a step up. Try the i5's instead.

kwantfm
14th May 2009, 02:46 AM
Mizuno MX-200...

Jarro
14th May 2009, 05:12 AM
R7TP's

Scottt
14th May 2009, 05:19 AM
Jarro, you accidently posted before you typed "suck donkey dick". :lol:

Nah, they are a good option. Or just the standard R7s.

Courty
14th May 2009, 06:16 AM
Raptures are choppers clubs.

Perfect then! :p

3oneday
14th May 2009, 06:48 AM
R7's as well, and as they are TaylorMade, they'll be worth just as much in 5 years time when you need Raptures.

PeteyD
14th May 2009, 06:58 AM
The J Spec raptures are supposed to be good.

Or maybe you should get :

http://www.bang-golf-clubs.com/prodimages/my420iron.jpeg

3oneday
14th May 2009, 07:19 AM
Sounds appropriate ;) maybe a set of Buns instead ???

BrisVegas
14th May 2009, 08:05 AM

what blake said, especially with regard to lighter shafts.

Sydney Hacker
14th May 2009, 08:08 AM
Get the X22 Tours they have in the pro shop Dan, they have 5.0 shafts in them and I am sure they will do you a decent deal.

And when you are sick of them I will have them for a fraction of the price you paid for them !

AndyP
14th May 2009, 08:17 AM
HO!

The worst mistake I made was changing irons just for the sake of it.

Fishman Dan
14th May 2009, 09:06 AM
Get the X22 Tours they have in the pro shop Dan, they have 5.0 shafts in them and I am sure they will do you a decent deal.

And when you are sick of them I will have them for a fraction of the price you paid for them !

Might have to check them out. Was the price tag on them bordering on silly? I've found Pete's prices aren't that bad.

chappy1970
14th May 2009, 10:37 AM
Fishy,
I bought a set or TM RAC LT's from Rick last year, I was playing a mint set of Precept Tour Premium forged irons, which I love, but am not good enough to use consistently.

I have kept them in the hope that I may be able to play them again some day.

I have a very limited golfing schedule at the moment (once a fortnight) and the RAC's have allowed me to consistently maintain a handicap of 9-10 comfortably.

FWIW
Chappy

Fishman Dan
14th May 2009, 11:08 AM
I should have read this earlier - a set of these just went off on eBay for $202.50!

Scottt
14th May 2009, 11:10 AM
I recommended the LTs about 14 hours ago...

Fishman Dan
14th May 2009, 11:13 AM
I was watching them but got busy (ended about 20 minutes ago). They were sitting @ $200 all night. Looks like it took 1 bid! They were .5" shorter than standard which may not have suited.

I've always had a soft spot for the RAC's. Attractive looking club and effective, having seen Trung halve his handicap wielding a set around Carnarvon.

Webster
14th May 2009, 11:21 AM
Those RAC Lt's on ebay were an inch under Dan, and in pretty poor condition - no good for you. They might be the right cloice though if you can find a good set with S300's in them. Another set just went for $320 "buy it now" but only in average condition.

Yossarian
14th May 2009, 12:33 PM
There is a set of LT's on ISG somewhere from memory

Sydney Hacker
14th May 2009, 12:40 PM
Might have to check them out. Was the price tag on them bordering on silly? I've found Pete's prices aren't that bad.

Price on them is a joke, but they are demo clubs which have been there for quite a while. He normally clears them out after a period of time and in the past has sold them for not much more the his cost price.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:05 PM
I was watching them but got busy (ended about 20 minutes ago).

I hate that, you stalk something for days, then get stuck away from a computer or get waylaid and miss the end.

Jarro
14th May 2009, 04:13 PM
I hate that, you stalk something for days, then get stuck away from a computer or get waylaid and miss the end.

You obviously didn't really want them then.

If you really wanted them, you would've made sure you were at the computer when the auction ended.

AndyP
14th May 2009, 04:20 PM
Or used a bid snipe.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:38 PM
what's a bid snipe?

Jarro: I'm talking about getting held up at work without eBay access, getting stuck in traffic/late train etc. Easy to say if you wanted it, you'd make it happen, but sometimes shit happens.

Fishman Dan
14th May 2009, 04:38 PM
I only saw them last night, but as Jack pointed out there was enough in there to give me doubt (shortened). Unlike the Maclaren stroller I missed recently......

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:40 PM
McLaren stroller?

Probably faster than Lewis' current car...

AndyP
14th May 2009, 04:41 PM
what's a bid snipe?You can make a last second bid without being there for the end of the auction.
https://www.bidnip.com/

Fishman Dan
14th May 2009, 04:43 PM
Ideally Scottt you've decided on your upper limit... so there's no excuse for that - you could have put in your bid 4 days ago!

Jarro
14th May 2009, 04:46 PM
Face it Scotttt, you just didn't really want them, otherwise you'd have manged to get the job done.

Scottt
14th May 2009, 04:46 PM
Dan: True, but I reckon the earlier you do that, the more chancesome idiot's going to get emotional and outbid you, or have a go at outbidding you and push the price up.

Jarro: you're obviously right.