PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of one scotty.....

jaster
1st January 2005, 10:27 PM
Last year around the middle of Feb I purchased a sweet custom Scotty Cameron Newport Tei3. Some of you may remember the pics on ISG, platinum finish, blue paintfill, Tiger sight dot added. So I used it for a month or so and putted pretty good but not spectacular so I dumped it for a 2ball. The assistant pro at my course is a lefty like me (finished T19th I think in this years Australian Trainee champs) and just happened to be looking for a new putter, so everything worked out great.
Then last month he SMSed me asking if I had any spare putters as the scotty was acting up, in the National Trainee champs he averaged 35 putts for the 4 rounds and yet still finished 19th...14 shots behind first...needless to say he was pissed!!! Anyways I just happened to have a spare PING G2i Piper lying around http://ozgolf.net/forum/images/smiles/eusa_whistle.gif and gave it to him to try.
Went into the Pro shop yesterday for a last game of the year 9 holes jaunt and he tells me that he is loving the Piper and wants to buy it, of course I ask him what he is going to do with the Scotty and he said that he wasn't sure......I ask him if I can take it for a putt as my 2ball belly just isn't getting the job done.
He says yeah sure, I do notice that it is a little more beat up than I remember.....little bit of rust also and no limited edition scotty grip that I sold with it. He tells me that he got rid of it cause it felt funny :roll: So you know what happens next right....par, bogey, birdie (6ft putt), bogey, birdie (4ft), par, birdie (30ft), par, birdie (20ft from fringe). Now -2 on the front 9 isn't anything to write home about as it is an easy and short 9 with only a few tough holes....but I sunk 2 great putts on the last few holes which I haven't been doing with any regularity and all the putts that missed hit the hole or left tap ins.
So now I'm stuffed, there is no way I want to give up the Scotty again, I have it in the bag and he said that he isn't sure if he wants to dump it yet but I told him how I putted with it and being a lefty brother he said that he'll let me use it for awhile. It feels so good to use a normal length putter again and I have always had a soft spot for both Camerons and the Anser style head, I hope that the honeymoon period lasts for a little while 8)
That's my story, thanks for reading :D

Fishman Dan
1st January 2005, 10:33 PM
Did you sell him the putter, or 'permanently loan' it?

I was wondering if you were getting whingy about the state of it on its return - which if it was on loan you should be a little disappointed, but those cosmetic changes wouldn't (and haven't) affected it's usefulness.

jaster
1st January 2005, 10:46 PM
I sold him the scotty, didn't mention that sorry......otherwise I sure would have cracked at the condition :shock: It is not that bad really, just a discolouration here and there and the bit of rust, in the past I probably wouldn't have used it in that condition but in the past few months I have came to realise more and more that it is the indian and not the arrow so could care less what it looks like, as long as it works ;)

Ducky
1st January 2005, 11:22 PM
I am on the lookout for a new putter after my bullseye accidently snapped itself over my leg on monday.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/images/smiles/eusa_whistle.gif

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
2nd January 2005, 05:04 AM
i keep telling you guys that these Scotty's are the real deal ..... but you just don't listen :roll: :lol:

nice story Jasterman

andylo
2nd January 2005, 07:23 AM
I think putters are kind of "feeling club". No matter it's a blade/mallet style, or have insert or not, even traditional/belly/bloomstick.

Maybe even one should have at least 2 putters at home.

If putter A start getting lazy recently then try putter B. It kinda refresh your "inner putting feeling".

Just my thought. :roll:

AndyP
2nd January 2005, 07:48 AM

If putter A start getting lazy recently then try putter B. It kinda refresh your "inner putting feeling".

That is HO talk if I have ever heard it, A-Lo.

I don't see why anyone should have two putters and rotate in between them. If you have confidence in the putter you are using, why create doubt in your mind, by keeping another one at home, just in case.

goughy
2nd January 2005, 12:51 PM
What's your average putts for 18 holes andylo? Any putter available is good enough to get ya under 36 per round. That's more important than what putter.

jaster
2nd January 2005, 02:47 PM
I agree with AndyP totally, I am going to try sticking with a putter for longer than a few months even if it does act up every now and again :roll: It's all about confidence and swapping all the time is good for the never ending honeymoon period but not good for overall feel and confidence.

Andylo - Why is there only 1 handicap round on your golflink? tsk tsk :wink:

McMw
3rd January 2005, 12:58 AM
I think putters are kind of "feeling club". No matter it's a blade/mallet style, or have insert or not, even traditional/belly/bloomstick.

I actually agree with A-Lo here...
at one time last year, I was travelling with 4 putters in my rotation...
in the past couple of months, I've only been using the one, until a new one comes along...

figured that I wasn't putting any better with either new or old, might as well stick with the new... :lol:

but yeah...for me, 2 is a minimum... :wink:

andylo
3rd January 2005, 01:11 AM
Dunno.... :roll:

Maybe Nambour GC lost my score card :(

Suppose to be 2.

And for general.... let me fix the problem MTB mention 1st.... Currently in total bad mood after knowing what's going wrong :( :cry:

Also would like to keep the same amount of comp game as Kee does... so it's more fair.

I agree with AndyP totally, I am going to try sticking with a putter for longer than a few months even if it does act up every now and again :roll: It's all about confidence and swapping all the time is good for the never ending honeymoon period but not good for overall feel and confidence.

Jarro
3rd January 2005, 12:57 PM
Also would like to keep the same amount of comp game as Kee does... so it's more fair.

A-Lo, don't be afraid to get out and play a comp without Kee. He's a good guy, and a good friend for you, but you should be looking to play as many comp rounds now as you can. If Kee can't make it, get out on your own and meet some nice, friendly people 8)

McMw
3rd January 2005, 01:15 PM

A-Lo, don't be afraid to get out and play a comp without Kee. He's a good guy, and a good friend for you, but you should be looking to play as many comp rounds now as you can. If Kee can't make it, get out on your own and meet some nice, friendly people 8)

afterall...it is a race to the 18hcp isn't it???

it's not gonna come to you if you sit on ur bum all week... :lol:

jaster
3rd January 2005, 01:24 PM
What Jarro and Mau said, just get out there and play....if you play with the same people all the time and get comfortable with who you play with then oneday you might be required to play a big comp and be so nervous that you'll make a fool of yourself. Golf is about meeting new people all with the same interest as you 8)
Also, playing ozgolf days that aren't in comps means squat to your handicap...imagine if you went on a tear and shot a 90 off the stick...you wouldn't be able to use it for yor handicap :shock:

markTHEblake
3rd January 2005, 03:04 PM

Andy Ho, thats fairly profound coming from such a inexperienced golfer, and your right!

Many golfers change their putter and not their technique to break out of a bad putting streak. All you need for putting is a confidence boost and a different putter can do that for you. Like anything in golf its all mental, putting even more so as technique is less important.

A couple of putters is fine, its when you see a golfer with 6 in his boot that you know he is in trouble.

AndyP
3rd January 2005, 04:53 PM
Dunno.... :roll:

Maybe Nambour GC lost my score card :(

Suppose to be 2.
Nambour was a 4BBB, that is, a team event, so this does not count towards your handicap.