PDA

View Full Version : Hitting of synthetic mats

Yossarian
12th May 2009, 02:49 PM
Does is stuff your swing when hitting of actual grass??
Really struggled to hit the ball cleanly today, does anyone else find that after hitting off astro mats they struggle to make good connection?

PeteyD
12th May 2009, 06:08 PM
Astro hides fat hits.

virge666
12th May 2009, 06:32 PM
Astro hides fat hits.

Yep. if cant hit off mats... you are in deep trouble.

Yossarian
12th May 2009, 07:02 PM
I can hit of the mats fine, just out on the course today i caught ALOT of balls fat, which was really frustrating because I hit 7/7 fairways with the driver but couldn't capitalise with the wedges and short irons I was leaving myself...

adlo
12th May 2009, 07:47 PM
Try and get practice on grass for a while.

Astro will not help you fix the fat shots, only hide them as Virge and Petey have pointed out.

Your driver is teed up so you had no problems there.

Yossarian
12th May 2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah i think i'll do that. Just gotta find a range thats on grass still.
Actually can you practise on private courses as a member of the public or is that verboten?

Mayhem
12th May 2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah i think i'll do that. Just gotta find a range thats on grass still.
Actually can you practise on private courses as a member of the public or is that verboten?

Head to Murdoch Pines for some grass. Also there is a range next to Melville glades which is great. They also have supagolf there which may help you to find it. Turn off is off karel ave as you head to roe hwy. 200m of grassed area to hit from. Heaps of targets to hit at. Good lawn. Helps me to flush more shots on the course. Turf makes you feel better, Doesn't help when playing on the course.

Yossarian
12th May 2009, 08:29 PM
Cheers mate, they are both really close to uni, might encourage me to go a little more :)

Mayhem
12th May 2009, 08:33 PM
Cheers mate, they are both really close to uni, might encourage me to go a little more :)

Neither have great practice greens. Melville glades would be better for putting. They have a great putting green. Murdoch is okay and they have a chipping area but I prefer Melville these days. Slighty more money (50c more over 100 balls) and longer drive for me (30 seconds to a minute depending on traffic) but more enjoyable practice.

adlo
12th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Slighty more money (50c more over 100 balls) and longer drive for me (30 seconds to a minute depending on traffic) but more enjoyable practice.

Those are some huge sacrifices you are making.

Yossarian
12th May 2009, 09:06 PM
Massive, mother Teresa type sacrifices :)

adlo
12th May 2009, 09:08 PM
:lol:

vovo
12th May 2009, 10:36 PM
Just a question about ranges (sorry about the jack)

When chipping on the practice green are you supposed to leave your balls there? or can you go and pick them up?

I think Murdoch Pines is the most convenient for me with grass, unless there is one in the western suburbs that is better value?

adlo
12th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Just a question about ranges (sorry about the jack)

When chipping on the practice green are you supposed to leave your balls there? or can you go and pick them up?

I think Murdoch Pines is the most convenient for me with grass, unless there is one in the western suburbs that is better value?
Go pick them up, for sure.

Can't think of anything in the western burbs. Maylands is good too.

Mayhem
12th May 2009, 11:08 PM
Those are some huge sacrifices you are making.

I am glad my point wasn't wasted.

idgolfguy
15th May 2009, 05:53 PM
I think Hamersley, Marangaroo, Caramar have grass practise tees too. I don't like hitting off the grass practise at Marangaroo.

Proper impact of mats is very hard to do and can injure you joints eventually.

Scottt
15th May 2009, 06:23 PM
If you can't get a grass range, find a left-handed bay and hit off the rubber you're meant to stand on. Replicates a tight, linksy lie better than anything other than the real thing.

Yossarian
15th May 2009, 06:34 PM
Does that mess up your clubs?

Scottt
15th May 2009, 06:52 PM
Nah, it's just rubber. A bit cushiony like turf, but no hiding a fat shot.

I like to practice iron play from a fairway bunker. The precision of your contact is not hidden, and it makes you strike a descending blow.

Mayhem
15th May 2009, 10:48 PM
Nah, it's just rubber. A bit cushiony like turf, but no hiding a fat shot.

I like to practice iron play from a fairway bunker. The precision of your contact is not hidden, and it makes you strike a descending blow.

Sounds like some sound advice Scottt. The range near Melville Glades is solid cooch grass (I think) so easy to get it fat. Not like the cushion-like Kukayu (??) I play at Wembley. That is part of the reason I like to practice there. I tend to leave fealing as though I am not hitting that well but don't leave till I am happy with my swing. Makes a difference when I get to WGC.

Hitting off rubber sounds harsh on the clubs, the fairway bunkers would work a treat though.

Must try it.

zigwah
15th May 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm growing my own practice tee this year, 6 bourbon cans and you can hit as many balls as you like :)

Mayhem
15th May 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm growing my own practice tee this year, 6 bourbon cans and you can hit as many balls as you like :)

:smt038

Let me know how it goes

zigwah
15th May 2009, 11:00 PM
word of mouth, could be some fun days

Scottt
15th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Steel v rubber. How is that harsh on the clubs?

zigwah
15th May 2009, 11:28 PM
I can't stand the green shit those mats leave on your clubs. It's a pain in the arse