PDA

View Full Version : GPS Navigation System

razaar
12th May 2009, 07:58 AM
Heading off on a road trip next month and have decided to get one of these. Any recommendations?:neutral:

kev
12th May 2009, 08:08 AM
PCAuthority review (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/128050,gift-guide---gps.aspx) done in Nov last year, but it could help. I personally have a Navman, and am happy with it. It gets me from A to B.

henno
12th May 2009, 08:14 AM
I have the TomTom One. Don't bother paying for the One XL - I actually prefer the smaller screen of the cheaper TomTom One anyway. (Who the heck wants such devices to get bigger? It's not a plasma TV.)

People bitch about the lack of features (no bluetooth) but the latest generation does the "computer-generated voice" thing - so it says "Turn left into Smith Street" rather than simply "Turn left".

If you buy online, just make sure you get the latest version. Otherwise, it really can't be touched as far as bang-for-your buck budget GPS systems go.

PeteyD
12th May 2009, 08:21 AM
My wife has the Tom Tom one and she uses it for work (community nurse). She loves it. Spends moretime with 'Sean' than me!

Tex
12th May 2009, 08:38 AM
Tom Tom One as well Version 3, I think, no street names in the voice prompt like Henno says , I turn the voice off most of the time anyway does the job very nicely. Free updates online. It also allows you to navigate to a Coordinate: Lat/Long, UTM etc which comes in very handy if you are off the beaten track and short of the names of dirt roads but can see them on the map.

razaar
12th May 2009, 08:43 AM
Thanx lads, looks like the TOMTOM One v4 is the go.:)

Minor_Threat
12th May 2009, 10:19 AM
TomTom Navigator v6 on my mobile combined with a bluetooth GPS adapter. Simple and cheap as!

Its great..

goughy
12th May 2009, 04:23 PM
I have tomtom nav on my phone and the only issue I have with it is having to put the cities name in first before the street name. 99.99% of the time it's no issue. But sometimes I'm going to a hick place up here and I'll be buggered if the street doesn't exist for that town. But when I go into the browse map function I can scroll around and then I find the street.

Just sometimes I'd like to have the option of entering the street name first then narrowing it down by city. That way when it's 'technically' not in the township I think it is I can still find it.

Dazza
12th May 2009, 06:22 PM
Just to be different, I've got a Navman S30. Great unit, has served me well for the past 8 or so months. Searching is very easy, both for addresses & POI.
Only feature thats missing.... it won't tell you which street name to take when giving directions. I believe the later models have this feature.

jaybam
12th May 2009, 07:58 PM
wife has the navman s50 and she used to have trouble finding her way out of the driveway. Now she ventures over the other side of town and through the city. Things she never used to do so must be ok.

kev
12th May 2009, 11:06 PM
wife has the navman s50 and she used to have trouble finding her way out of the driveway. Now she ventures over the other side of town and through the city. Things she never used to do so must be ok.

Only problem with the GPS though is they now find their way back... ;)

I'm thinking of changing the "home" address in mine, just to see what the result would be!

I am soooo going to hell if the gf reads this!

Bruce
16th May 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm using a Garmin Nuvi over here and it is pretty good.

Have had a couple of issues dealing with 'new' exits on freeways where it doesn't quite match up with the map and so have been caught in the wrong lane and had to shove my way out of trouble. I probably just look like a local when I do though.

I can't imagine how much harder it would be to drive around here without one - would end up anywhere trying to do with just paper maps.

zigwah
18th May 2009, 10:14 AM
Tom Tom, took one to tassie, the first time i've ever used one and never had a problem, never got lost, it was fantastic. Made the trip way more enjoyable than looking at a map trying to work out whivh way we should have turned.

adlo
7th June 2009, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to find free GPS maps for another country?

Heading to USA later this month and can rent a GPS when over there, but would be much easier if I could just load maps onto my own GPS.

Minor_Threat
7th June 2009, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to find free GPS maps for another country?

Heading to USA later this month and can rent a GPS when over there, but would be much easier if I could just load maps onto my own GPS.Torrents are your friend..

henno
7th June 2009, 06:42 PM
Or buy them for 20 bucks you cheap bum!

Cheaper than a sleave of your precious Z-Stars ;-)

henno
7th June 2009, 06:45 PM

Jeebus. They actually seem to be $54.95 GBP :shock:

Screw that... TO THE PIRATEBAY! :mrgreen:

razaar
7th June 2009, 06:55 PM
By the way, the Tomtom One V4 is doing a great job. Thanks for the tip.

henno
7th June 2009, 06:56 PM
By the way, the Tomtom One V4 is doing a great job. Thanks for the tip.

:smt023

Yossarian
7th June 2009, 07:52 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/r1mob5.jpg

adlo
7th June 2009, 08:38 PM
Torrents are your friend..
Ta

If they were $20 I would just buy them, but I thought they cost a heap. Turns out I was right. :mrgreen:

Jeebus. They actually seem to be $54.95 GBP :shock:

Screw that... TO THE PIRATEBAY! :mrgreen:

Of we go.....

Courty
9th June 2009, 04:58 PM
Just get an iPhone (http://www.applesource.com.au/software/soa/TomTom-brings-turn-by-turn-to-iPhone/0,2000070819,339296835,00.htm). 8)

3oneday
9th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Why all the fuss ? I used my Nokia Navigator to find my way around Cessnock on the weekend. Did the trick :confused:

adlo
9th June 2009, 08:59 PM
Just get an iPhone (http://www.applesource.com.au/software/soa/TomTom-brings-turn-by-turn-to-iPhone/0,2000070819,339296835,00.htm). 8)
Mate, I'd love an iPhone, but I just don't use my phone enough to justify one of the plans you need to sign up for.

Courty
9th June 2009, 09:40 PM
Mate, I'd love an iPhone, but I just don't use my phone enough to justify one of the plans you need to sign up for.

Pffft, I'm paying $20 a month on mine. If you get one outright, you can sign up on any plan.

adlo
9th June 2009, 09:47 PM
How much outright?

Courty
9th June 2009, 09:48 PM
How much outright?

Depends where you look. Apple have announced some new models overnight, so there may be some old ones going cheap.

adlo
9th June 2009, 09:49 PM
I saw that, might be an option!

AlexMc
9th June 2009, 09:50 PM
That TomTom app is going to cost a bomb. They ain't gonna sell a $20 app when they could sell a $200 GPS unit...

Dazza
18th October 2009, 09:24 PM
Just to be different, I've got a Navman S30. Great unit, has served me well for the past 8 or so months. Searching is very easy, both for addresses & POI.
Only feature thats missing.... it won't tell you which street name to take when giving directions. I believe the later models have this feature.

I think my S30 may be on it's last legs.
Battery life is down to about 15 minutes, and of late it's been continually dropping the satellites for no reason at all.

Would also like to go to a "Spoken street names" version. Makes it easier for me, as sometimes I'll take the wrong turn. :smt013

Let the research begin!

henno
9th March 2010, 11:41 AM
I have the TomTom One... it really can't be touched as far as bang-for-your buck budget GPS systems go.

Recently, my TomTom touchscreen has been out of whack; if you hit a letter on the keyboard it chooses the button above it. It has gotten so bad that any buttons on the bottom were unable to be activated (which makes the device useless as you can't select anything).

Long story short, after not much help from TomTom (as it is out of warranty) and not wanting to fork out for a repair that would likely cost twice as much as a replacement device, I have fixed it. I won't bother explaining how other than saying it is some boring nerd shit that none of you want to hear about. The only reason I'm even posting this here is in case someone else gets the same issue they too can fix it. So if that's you, send me a PM and I'll show you how to get things working again.

Your friendly neighbourhood nerd,
henno.

Baudwalker
9th March 2010, 12:08 PM

Just talk to iPhone owners that will TELL ALL

Get an iPhone, download and PURCHASE the app, then pay internet charges to get the courses and if you are silly enough to use the 'features' offered be prepared to pay in excess of $20 a round for the (internet and other) charges associated with doing so. Your plan will have a large bearing on these charges also.

You can of course get much cheaper versions of different apps but for the unwary it can be an expensive exercise...BEWARE!

AndyP
20th July 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm on the hunt for a Car GPS. I found the following in relation to a 2010 Choice review:

The recommended unit was the TomTom One, followed by the Garmin
Streetpilot C320. The non-recommended units were the Navman ICN520,
Mio 268 and Road Angel Navigator. I'll probably get a cheaper model of some sort, as it's more for the missus to use occasionally, since she has no navigation skills and I do most of the driving.

Any more feedback on the various models?

Moe Norman
20th July 2010, 10:35 AM
just wait for the next deal to come up on catchoftheday

goughy
20th July 2010, 10:36 AM
I noticed in a WOW catalogue that the tomtom one I think was under 200. Sounds good to me. I use tomtom on my phone and it works fine. The only issues I've come up with are the way you enter searches. I've had the odd problem up here because you have to start a search with suburb first (though in brissie I think you can just enter brisbane and get all the options). In my area for instance I could be looking for a street that could happen to be in either Top Camp, Hodgsonvale, Preston or Ramsey. If I search in Top Camp and it's in Ramsey the street won't pop up. And not with the current maps, but with my previous map I have searched for a street that I know is on the map, and I know which region it is in on the map yet the search wouldn't find it.

AndyP
20th July 2010, 10:37 AM
I'll have a look through their archive of deals to get some idea.

AndyP
21st July 2010, 04:17 PM
The CNet recommended lower-end models are
TomTom ONE 140-S
Garmin Nuvi 255 - $168 (JB HiFi)

A search back through Catch of the Day deals found the following:
Navman MY50T - $159 ($230 JB)
Tomtom XL340 - $189

I've also noted the following so far.
Tomtom ONE Refurb - $129 (www.oo.com.au)
Tomtom Start - $188 (JB)

Bruce
21st July 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the Garmin Nuvi 255 is the one I have.
It has the micro SD slot which was handy for getting US maps during our last holiday and we've loaned it to other travellers on that basis.

I'm super happy with it.

AndyP
21st July 2010, 05:50 PM
There's a Nuvi 255 and a discontinued 255W. I don't know the diff yet, besides the W being wider.

LarryLong
21st July 2010, 06:18 PM
Another option is the Mio brand.

If you're at all thinking about doing nerdy stuff with them, there's a hack around called miopocket that allows you to strip it back to the underlying windows mobile OS and run all manner of other software on it. I think MioPocket also runs on some navman units and a host of others with the appropriate level of hacking.

I used to run FreeCaddie (GPS rangefinder) on my Mio C720t gps navigator and it worked really well, but they crippled the unit with a map upgrade and spoiled my party. I'm about to send it back to them to have it un-crippled.

AndyP
21st July 2010, 07:02 PM
Windows OS is not a great selling point to a Mac user. ;) I recall reading somewhere that Navman is owned by Mio, which would explain why MioPocket worked on it.

As I said, it's not really for me, so the nerd stuff might be wasted (although the golf GPS side of it is interesting). I still use a UBD from the 90s.

LarryLong
21st July 2010, 07:11 PM
I was thinking that as a Mac user you would be comfortable with the idea of a software update crippling your device. :p

I think that's true with the ownership (although maybe the other way around) - the 'map update' that mio gave me installed the same software as the Navman units use. To be honest I still wonder if it is better than just having an up to date melways/UBD. Dunno if the 90s version would do the job now though - or is it still the 90's in Queensland? I forget how far behind you lot are sometimes. :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
21st July 2010, 09:22 PM
I'll probably get a cheaper model of some sort, as it's more for the missus to use occasionally, since she has no navigation skills and I do most of the driving.

Get her a phone that does it, plenty of cheap ones around now

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 06:38 AM
The phones might be cheap, but the plans aren't.

Bruce
22nd July 2010, 08:04 AM
There's a Nuvi 255 and a discontinued 255W. I don't know the diff yet, besides the W being wider.

In using mine I've never thought - "I wish the screen were wider."

henno
22nd July 2010, 08:07 AM
In using mine I've never thought - "I wish the screen were wider."

I am the same with my "regular" TomTom One. The extra cash for a bit more screen just makes no sense; in fact I prefer it smaller.

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 09:25 AM
They cost the same at JB's anyway.

goughy
22nd July 2010, 10:05 AM
I use tomtom on my phone, which is smaller than an iphone and I've never needed it bigger. I've seen a compact car with one of those big wide screen 4"+ things mounted on the windscreen and I don't know how they saw the left hand side of the road. It was downright dangerous.

Moe Norman
22nd July 2010, 10:45 AM
Mine stays in the glovebox, I only ever get it out if I'm going somewhere new.

I've never understood why people keep them mounted on the dash, very strange to use the GPS to drive home from work every day...

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 11:16 AM
I've never understood why people keep them mounted on the dash, very strange to use the GPS to drive home from work every day...Or when it's lighting up their car driving 100km on a highway. That said, they lock you out unless you stop.

Bruce
22nd July 2010, 11:32 AM
I think the speedo on them is more accurate than the one on the dash. At least in my car.

100kmh on the GPS = 108kmh on the speedo.

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 11:38 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all, Bruce. The reason the GPS watch is a little inaccurate for running is because of the relative slow speed.

markTHEblake
22nd July 2010, 08:21 PM
The phones might be cheap, but the plans aren't.

$29 pm contract not cheap?

anyhow, http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=5429

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 09:27 PM
$29 pm contract not cheap?Not compared to my current mobile phone bill.

anyhow, http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=5429Thanks, but I haven't heard the best things about the Navig8ters, which is why I am sticking to the lower end of the better brands. Unless you know something about this particular model?

PeteyD
22nd July 2010, 09:40 PM
We got a garmin cheap. Nice bit of gear. LArger screen than the Tom Tom one that died, and a lot easier to see and use. This surprised me.

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 09:52 PM
Petey, can you create a map on the Garmin if it's out of GPS range, that is, enter the leaving point instead of the device detecting it? What model do you have?

markTHEblake
22nd July 2010, 10:14 PM
Not compared to my current mobile phone bill.

Well somewhere along the line you gotta buy a phone and a GPS, makes sense to save money and combine both, and you can use it for golf as well.

FWIW, I downloaded Google Maps for my Nokia E63 today, which doesnt have any GPS/AGPS capabilities, yet it still can identify exactly where I was on the Map (at work). Mind you the data traffic was enormous, 300-400kb just to find my position. At least its there for an emergencies. And also, when i searched for my house, it knew i lived there, damn google knows everything

Unless you know something about this particular model? not a thing.

AndyP
22nd July 2010, 10:23 PM
I've got a phone. It's cost me less than $7 in the last two months, mostly on text messages. People spend too much time on their phones.

AndyP
26th July 2010, 07:47 AM
How can I not get a TomTom when they provide Star Wars voices. Too cool.

Listen to the samples.
http://starwars.tomtom.com/voices/index-starwars.php?Lid=8&voice=yoda

Catch of the Day currently have a TomTom Start for $118, but it's a refurb, although it has 12 month warranty.

goughy
26th July 2010, 10:05 AM
I actually prefer Jane AP! I've got a lot of the voices. If you're not concerned about getting to your destination go R2D2...

AndyP
26th July 2010, 01:15 PM
I saw a Garmin Nuvi 255 at the local JB for $148 and grabbed it. I didn't grab the wide version for an extra $20, an extended warranty for $35, then $30 or a case, despite the salesman's upselling efforts. The clincher for the Garmin was the unit having both Oz and NZ maps.

Bruce
26th July 2010, 02:46 PM
I might have some spare accessories at home for that model Andy. They gave me some extras on a rebate when I bought mine.

Ned
26th July 2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/best-gps-enabled-mobile-phones-339283391.htm

Rusty
27th July 2010, 10:43 PM
AP i got the Aldi GoCruise gps shortly after that Choice article came out, though at the time Aldi only had the 3.5" version, but it was only $90! remembered a while back that henno said 3.5" was fine. i'm very happy with it. so happy that i got one for my mum and PILs.

AndyP
28th July 2010, 02:42 PM
For anyone else looking for one, $149 is a good price for the Navman MY50T:
http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=6019

They are selling refurbed TomTom 140s for $128 too:
http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=4894

Today only.