PDA

View Full Version : New Chatroom

AndyP
1st January 2005, 02:23 PM
I think the chatroom needs to be changed or updated.

I understand that the positive is that it links well with the forum, but I think the negatives outweigh this.

The use of the chatroom has really dropped off (that may be because we are sick of each other), but I believe it is because of the usability of the chatroom. Some of us choose to chat via our messenger systems or in another forum chatroom instead.

1. The chatroom logs you out after two minutes, so unless you continously type in a character to stay logged in, noone will know that you are available for a chat.

2. It has a really annoying refresh rate, which downloads a little less than a MB per minute, which is quite a bit for those of us that have low broadband limits.

3. It doesn't keep much history, and you can only view the posts of the discussion for the last two minutes. This is particularly annoying when you get distracted with something else for a couple of minutes, and am unable to catch up on the conversation.

Cheers
Anonymous #-o

goughy
1st January 2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks andy. I understood that the chatroom was a bit annoying, but thanks for giving us some of the reasons. When robyn upgrades the site she was going to see if there was another updated version of the chatroom to go with it.

We'll see if we can find something better.

Golfgirl
1st January 2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah - I must agree....

I hardly ever chat anymore as I find the current chatroom set up pretty annoying. (I'm on dial-up.... :oops: none of this new-fangled broadband stuff for moi.... :oops: :lol: :roll: )

AndyP
1st January 2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the effort, that yourself and Robyn put in, goughy. Don't think that it isn't appreciated. =D>

One small thing that is not worth having a thread of it's own:
Could you please, please, please fix the whistling emoticon.

goughy
1st January 2005, 04:04 PM
I'll ask the boss :wink:

Jarro
1st January 2005, 05:57 PM
thanks Goughy 8)

AndyP
14th April 2005, 04:02 PM
http://clikchic.com/ozgolfchat/phpMyChat.php3

Give this a try lads. :D
It may look familiar.

After some discussions today, clikchic has added a chatroom that we can use on her website's server.

I am going to try and integrate it with the forum over the next few days.
The plan is to get a link in the header like there was before, and try to get something on the forum page that shows who is in chat.

In the meantime, I suggest you add it to your favourites, or keep coming back to this page.

Just click on the link, a new page will open. Enter your username, or whatever name takes your fancy and click on Chat. No need for a password yet.

Onewood
14th April 2005, 06:34 PM
Theres no one home :D

goughy
14th April 2005, 06:57 PM
Maybe there will be a way to link it to the forum so you can see why is in the chatroom from the forum main page. Then again, it did take months to get the chatroom back. I wouldn't hold your breath :P

AndyP
14th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Link to Chatroom added to header menu.

edit: Opens in new window now too.

Jarro
15th April 2005, 04:59 AM
AdminAndy ....

.. is that the same chat feature we used to have in here :?: or is it an upgraded version :?:

i seem to recall we had a few problems with the last one :roll:

goughy
15th April 2005, 06:58 AM
I think access problems would have been related to the server issues we had once rather than the program. I can't recall any other problems.

AndyP
15th April 2005, 09:01 AM
.. is that the same chat feature we used to have in here :?: or is it an upgraded version :?:
It's exactly the same as the original chatroom we had mid last year. At this time, there are no upgrades available for it.

i seem to recall we had a few problems with the last one :roll:
If you mean by "last one", the one we had most recently, then this is not it. I can't remember too many problems with the one we have now.

If you can think of anything, or come across any problems, let me know.

Jarro
15th April 2005, 05:28 PM
If you can think of anything, or come across any problems, let me know.

the clock's out :roll:

Ducky
15th April 2005, 06:22 PM
The old chat room was terrible. Look into an alternative such as a Java IRC chat room.

AndyP
15th April 2005, 07:05 PM
the clock's out :roll:
That's because it takes the time from clikchic's server which is probably in the US. Not sure if it can be fixed.
Problem noted for the third time. ;)

The old chat room was terrible. Look into an alternative such as a Java IRC chat room.
Have you had a look at this one, Ducky? It's better than the previous room.
I have come across some IRC chat rooms. Not sure if we are able to do that or not. If we have major problems with this one, then I might look into it further.

AndyP
17th April 2005, 08:54 AM
Just a warning to let you know that you may see some weird things pop up on the index page (I think someone already did this morning). Don't worry, it's not aliens, it's just me (although I have been called an alien before) playing around with the integration of the chatroom with the forum. 8)

Grunt
17th August 2005, 08:11 PM
Has the chatroom Died? Very little action lately!

Keza_G
18th August 2005, 08:16 PM
I just went to the chatroom (18/08/05 - 8.16pm) and it says "page cannot be displayed" ?????? :shock: :? :? :?

Cheers

Keza

Grunt
19th August 2005, 06:35 AM
Still working here Keza but just no-one is using it.

Jarro
19th August 2005, 01:35 PM
i think most folks are using MSN chat nowadays :roll:

3oneday
19th August 2005, 01:58 PM
i think most folks are using MSN chat nowadays  :roll:true, cause you can always use the "block" in that, hey Fishy !!!!

:lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
19th August 2005, 03:08 PM
i think most folks are using MSN chat nowadays  :roll:true, cause you can always use the "block" in that, hey Fishy !!!!

:lol:  :lol:

Someone say something :?: :?: