PDA

View Full Version : Flamed finish on irons

Scottt
8th May 2009, 09:51 PM
Has anyone ever had a set with a flamed finish?

A bloke off GolfWRX has offered me a set of Titty 735.CMs in stainless with a flamed finish. I'm told the flamed finish will wear, but not rust, just reveal the stainless underneath.

I'm trying to wok out how fast that will occur and when it does wear, if I can just strip the finish and have regular stainless irons.

I think it looks pretty f**king cool!
Suggestions?

razaar
8th May 2009, 10:00 PM
It will wear off the face and sole very quickly with use. This finish is suitable only for putters.

goonie
8th May 2009, 10:15 PM
Doesn't look that good, and will look crap when it wears.

Scottt
8th May 2009, 10:24 PM
will look crap when it wears.

I'm inclined to agree.

squishy
8th May 2009, 11:07 PM

x2

virge666
8th May 2009, 11:14 PM

x3

Bet you have Mizuno's by before the end of the tax year.

Scottt
8th May 2009, 11:16 PM
I am considering a MP60/32 combo set! :lol:

virge666
8th May 2009, 11:18 PM
I am considering a MP60/32 combo set! :lol:

Dumb - spend the cash

Get some 52's or AP2 or S57 or Cobra CB

Scottt
8th May 2009, 11:19 PM
The bee is in my bonnet, Virge. I want blade short irons. I don't know why, I just do...

PeteyD
9th May 2009, 08:07 AM
Get Cobra CB / MB in the short irons.

henno
9th May 2009, 08:59 AM
Cobra pro CB/MB would be a yummy combo.

razaar
9th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Cobra are crap.

squishy
9th May 2009, 04:20 PM
The bee is in my bonnet, Virge. I want blade short irons. I don't know why, I just do...

titleist zb

Tomson
9th May 2009, 04:47 PM
Cobra are crap.

Thats a bit harsh.

I have the 4iron cb and the rest mb.. soft as mizuno's and I have had a few sets of mizunos and miura.

razaar
9th May 2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry Craig, all the Cobra models I demoed last year were inferior to the Titleist models IMO. At the time I was thinking - surely Ogilvy and Vilgeas aren't playing these.....:-s Big Scotty will have my dibs for saying this.:)

goonie
9th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Sorry Craig, all the Cobra models I demoed last year were inferior to the Titleist models IMO. At the time I was thinking - surely Ogilvy and Vilgeas aren't playing these.....:-s Big Scotty will have my dibs for saying this.:)

I went to a Titleist/Cobra Demo late last year and the Cobra Pro CB were far better than any of the Titleist irons by a long way. I was trying the AP2's and the rep says to try this (Cobra Pro CB) it shits all over the Titleist gear, and he was spot on. Cobra have far better better players irons than Titleist ATM and some of the new woods look like they may give the 909 range a run too. (I also read a rumour that Titleist went to Cobra for help with the 909 range because they got the 907s so wrong)

razaar
9th May 2009, 11:10 PM
Haven't seen the Pro CB ...doesn't look to be anything special, a cavity players club with a low CG. At least it is a step up for Cobra. Love the marketing pitch "Tour-caliber technology" FFS.

Tomson
10th May 2009, 04:22 AM
Haven't seen the Pro CB ...doesn't look to be anything special, a cavity players club with a low CG. At least it is a step up for Cobra. Love the marketing pitch "Tour-caliber technology" FFS.

Each to there own I suppose, I've hit the Titleist & Cobra range, I think they are both excellent.

goonie
10th May 2009, 08:15 AM

Pro CB has a smaller head higher CG and less offset than AP2's and the Pro MB's make the Titleist blades (with all there offset) look chunky. Not to mention how ugly the Z range look. And the the AP2 shovels could just about match any Cobra GI clubs for size and offset.

goonie
10th May 2009, 08:29 AM
I think some people forget that cobra use to produce a lot of better players clubs until, from memory, they were taken under the acushet brand and switched to GI clubs, now that they are probably selling more golf clubs than Titleist, and they seem to be getting back into making clubs for better players again and getting back on tour, and maybe even out doing Titleist. And I really don't think Ogilvy is complaining about his clubs somehow.

razaar
10th May 2009, 08:35 AM
Nor is Poulter this week...Cobra seems to be about the only brand that hasn't made it into your bag as yet, Lee; is this next?:)

goonie
10th May 2009, 10:35 AM
Had some of the older gear, but it got stolen, but as I said they are only just starting to make gear I am interested in again. But a bit expensive ATM for the pro cb. I am also happy with most of my gear ATM. I have to say the S9-1 Pro driver and woods look good.

virge666
10th May 2009, 11:59 AM
Anyone else like the sound of the Cobra drivers... i find them quite ...nice...

More of a "tunk" sound.

henno
11th May 2009, 09:16 AM
The newer models sound much better.

PeteyD
13th May 2009, 06:18 PM
Pro CBs are great. The old Carbon CBs were as well.