PDA

View Full Version : Iron suggestions

Scottt
7th May 2009, 08:00 PM
The MP-60s are boxed up and being posted tomorrow, so now I have to find some new clubs!

I've been stalking the Titty 735s and TM RAC combos on eBay. I have a bee in my bonnet about blade short irons.

I also have some flighted rifle 5.0s coming in .355 tip to put in whatever I buy, so heads only is an option, too.

Throw some suggestions at me: either stuff you have to sell or else models you think might fit my MO.

razaar
7th May 2009, 08:06 PM
MP 60's with 5.0 rifle shafts.:mrgreen:

henno
7th May 2009, 08:21 PM
I thought you hated the TM Racs you hit? Or was it just the long irons, hence the combo?

Scottt
7th May 2009, 08:48 PM
Nah, they had telephone poles in them and I was too busy/money tied up in moving OS at the time to go about reshafting them. They were combos, that set

henno
7th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Get a set of those Nickent 3dx pros. Great shafts, same clubhead designer as the RACs, and a bargain.

3oneday
7th May 2009, 08:51 PM
Bridgey Combo, $99AUD or thereabouts new.

henno
7th May 2009, 08:53 PM
Bridgey Combo, $99AUD or thereabouts new.

Wha? I'll take 'em!

Sydney Hacker
7th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Wha? I'll take 'em!

Put me down for a set too !

3oneday
7th May 2009, 08:54 PM
missed a 4, suck that jizz back up boys :lol:

henno
7th May 2009, 08:58 PM
Still a great price if they are J36s :-)

3oneday
7th May 2009, 09:07 PM
You wish. :)

goonie
7th May 2009, 09:13 PM
hogan ftx

u8ergolfer
7th May 2009, 09:19 PM
Hogans': easy to bend, so strong loft em and they're allright.. just curious? why so many sets so cheap on the 'bay? has Cally killed off the brand?

Scottt
7th May 2009, 09:23 PM
FTX looks nice. Might have to have a look tonight when I can access eBay (stupid bloody work computer!!!).

Unless someone wants to look on completed items on UK eBay for me and tell me what ballpark price I'm looking at??

henno
7th May 2009, 09:29 PM
Hogans': easy to bend, so strong loft em and they're allright.. just curious? why so many sets so cheap on the 'bay? has Cally killed off the brand?

Callawaygolfpreowned.com had a huge sale last year where they offloaded hundreds of hogan iron sets for dirt cheap. They were snapped up pretty quick, so perhaps ebay still has the flow-on effects of that?

And in my opinion, callaway have killed off the brand, albeit unofficially.

u8ergolfer
7th May 2009, 09:38 PM
Was thinking so..pity.. I would have killed off the Cally name before Hogan, just a TAD more cred ther for mine..

BBM Rick
7th May 2009, 10:07 PM
Using 735's at the mo and enjoy them, but Im thinking next will be a set of either nike combos or TM combos. Just because. You know how it goes.

Courty
8th May 2009, 08:42 PM
I've been stalking the Titty 735s and TM RAC combos on eBay.

:roll:

Scottt
8th May 2009, 08:47 PM
Don't you start again :lol:

macjackass
8th May 2009, 11:15 PM
No offence but those tittys are shit. Demo the mp 62. I did today and have just bought a set.

virge666
8th May 2009, 11:17 PM
Was thinking so..pity.. I would have killed off the Cally name before Hogan, just a TAD more cred ther for mine..

Yes they did. Hogan as a brand is dead, cally bought Hogan for the Spalding Ball factories.

C*nts.

Scottt
8th May 2009, 11:17 PM
The flamed tittys, Mac, or the 735s in general?

macjackass
8th May 2009, 11:26 PM
In general. If you were talking some 690's that would be a completely different story. The mizzys are butter, the 735's sadly are not.

Scottt
8th May 2009, 11:31 PM
Funny, I asked about 690s and the general concensus here was that they were shat on by the 735s...

virge666
9th May 2009, 01:03 AM
Funny, I asked about 690s and the general concensus here was that they were shat on by the 735s...

Go and look for clubs that lasted more than 6 months on the market.

690 didn't, 735's didn;t

rac tp mb did, s58's did, ap2 are being taken up all the time. no one plays blades anymore - you just don't need to.

Scottt
9th May 2009, 01:14 AM
735s didn't?

You sure?

What say you of a 60/32 combo set?

Ned
9th May 2009, 01:14 AM
I posted whether to reshaft or repurchase a new set.

Consensus was to reshaft existing 735's.

I bought them as an impulse buy about 9 months ago.

GLAD I did, as they have been excellent.

Now tinkering with shafts as they would cost the same to get the same in a decent second hand set from the US. (KBS's going in in a couple of weeks)

If you haven’t already Scott, check out review sites on possibles that you think you my like as well as take a look without the blinkers on.

Scottt
9th May 2009, 01:17 AM
Not bad advice Ned. Have read a thesandtrap.com review of the 735s and they are glowing, to be honest there is so little good golf equip review out there. 735s are a favourite on golfWRX as well.

Dunno...

Ned
9th May 2009, 01:26 AM
You could most probably buy 10 sets of different varieties and still not be happy completely.

I still have a couple of sets of MacGregor VIP MB's at home as well as a set of Titty 981's.

I like blades in the short irons.

Been talking to Tomson as well as some previous tinkering with spinning etc. I think it has merit along with a few other things we have talked about.

Scottt
9th May 2009, 01:49 AM
True. I may never be completely happy. But something tells me I want to see this blade short irons thing out. Mizzy combos with 60s and 32s would be great.

just
9th May 2009, 07:24 AM
Scottt
Why go the two different Mizuno models when many manufacturers make combo sets?

razaar
9th May 2009, 07:40 AM
Scottty, I play Mizuno irons to PW and KZG forged wedges. IMO the KZG heads are just as good if not better than the Mizunos. KZG's line up of forged blades & cavities are ideal for making up a combo set. Phil Mickleson went this way prior to signing a contract with Titleist years ago, he actually bought the KZG clubs.
http://www.kzgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=588&page=31349

PeteyD
9th May 2009, 08:06 AM
Get some cobra Pro CBs. You can get the MBs in the short irons. Most underrated crubs since the Macregor 685s.

Scottt
9th May 2009, 08:06 AM
What does everyone think about the Ping S59s?

PeteyD
9th May 2009, 08:11 AM
Ping rubbish.

gazgolf1
9th May 2009, 08:40 AM
Ping Rapture J Spec.

Dotty
9th May 2009, 09:26 AM
Now I know how Coffs' house got to have so much wallpaper.

Just buy something, go out and play golf. (All this worry for only 1 or 2 shots a round.)

Alternatively, the Wilson have some new gear ....

virge666
9th May 2009, 09:26 AM

59.58,57 all the same.

The i10 are actually my favourite from the ping line. Just one of the best heads out there. (for my game of course)

Cobra cb and mb combo if you want blades in the short shots. Flighted shafts fixed the whole "I want blades" thing.

735's were discounted very heavily 6 months into their life. Titty offered us huge incentives to sell them which could be why there were so many "glowing" reviews.

They are an OK club, but you have to be a high spin player to play them and they are no where near as forgiving as AP2, MP60, S58 and Cobra CB.

Seriously mate - get the ball up as high as you can without balooning it. And you swing does not suit blades. Your hands are not active enough.

Scottt
9th May 2009, 09:31 AM
S59s + 5.0 flighted rifles?

virge666
9th May 2009, 09:48 AM
S59s + 5.0 flighted rifles?

Seeign as you are only going to have them for a while... go for the 58's.

lucky
9th May 2009, 09:50 AM

Just picked up a set from Backintheswing with PX6.0 and have used them for 4 rounds only. These things are sooooo easy to hit - I was playing a combo set of Snake Eyes 600c/600b. The s59's are super long-I have gained 2 clubs on each iron - lofts are a bit stronger but not that much. Once again I find them very easy to hit and I swing and wella - a nice draw with accuracy- must be the right set up for me.

Moe Norman
9th May 2009, 11:18 AM
why is it a good thing to gain length on irons?

So if you are hitting them all 2 clubs further have you added 2 more wedges?

lucky
9th May 2009, 01:03 PM
Did I say it was a good thing - just stating my experience with the S59's that Scott asked for.

markTHEblake
9th May 2009, 08:20 PM
So if you are hitting them all 2 clubs further have you added 2 more wedges?

Wont be long before callaway brings out the longest wedges ever, a 32 degree pitching wedge, coupled with a handful of Hybridss and 7 specialty wedges, 36, 40, 44, 48, etc

Then Irons will be an outdated concept like woods.

virge666
9th May 2009, 10:01 PM
Then Irons will be an outdated concept like woods.

yeah - Guys - bear with me for a tick...

It is a lump of solid metal on the end of a stick. (sometimes hollow with various casting techniques) but anyway . . . it is a;

LUMP of METAL on END of STICK.

By changing said lump of metal on the end of said stick will not and I repeat will not give you an extra 2 clubs of distance. Sorry - it just won't.

It may hit it a touch higher - or maybe a touch lower. say 3-5m either way... but can we PLEEEEAAASEEE get past, these irons are longer than these irons mentality.

You have 2 things - LOFT and SPIN. Thats it... nothing else.

Callaway Pitching wedge is 43 degrees of loft. Mizuno Mp60 Pitching Wedge has 48 degrees of loft.

THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE !!!!

There are some design characteristic that will suit your swing such as bounce, sole, COG location and various other really nerdy stuff, but that is for another thread.

Rant over.... been one of those nights. :)

BrisVegas
9th May 2009, 10:07 PM
Just picked up a set from Backintheswing with PX6.0 and have used them for 4 rounds only. These things are sooooo easy to hit - I was playing a combo set of Snake Eyes 600c/600b.

Say it aint so Phil!?!?!?

simmsy
9th May 2009, 10:12 PM
yeah - Guys - bear with me for a tick...

It is a lump of solid metal on the end of a stick. (sometimes hollow with various casting techniques) but anyway . . . it is a;

LUMP of METAL on END of STICK.

By changing said lump of metal on the end of said stick will not and I repeat will not give you an extra 2 clubs of distance. Sorry - it just won't.

It may hit it a touch higher - or maybe a touch lower. say 3-5m either way... but can we PLEEEEAAASEEE get past, these irons are longer than these irons mentality.

You have 2 things - LOFT and SPIN. Thats it... nothing else.

Callaway Pitching wedge is 43 degrees of loft. Mizuno Mp60 Pitching Wedge has 48 degrees of loft.

THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE !!!!

There are some design characteristic that will suit your swing such as bounce, sole, COG location and various other really nerdy stuff, but that is for another thread.

well said Virge!!!:smt038:smt038

Grunt
10th May 2009, 07:33 AM
I hear you Virge, when I changed to the TM R7 Draws from the Adams A1 Pro I was/am still struggling with iron selection due to the fact they are all stronger loft. I think the PW is 45*. I am hitting 7i where I used to hit 5i. May be good for the ego but makes it hard as well.

virge666
10th May 2009, 09:22 AM
I hear you Virge, when I changed to the TM R7 Draws from the Adams A1 Pro I was/am still struggling with iron selection due to the fact they are all stronger loft. I think the PW is 45*. I am hitting 7i where I used to hit 5i. May be good for the ego but makes it hard as well.

It is a bit of a mixture mate - new balls launch WAY WAY higher. New clubhead designs also launch way higher. This means you can lower the loft 4 or 5 degrees and people think they are more "penetrating" and "longer" Especially when you make the club head lighter so you can add another 1/2 inch to the shaft.

As I said - lump of metal on end of a stick... the only way to make the ball go further is to reduce the loft or lengthen the shaft.

The exact same thing goes for drivers. the .830 COR restriction mean that the old R7 goes exactly the same distance as this years 909 D2. It is impossible to be any difference in ball speed off the face.

lucky
10th May 2009, 09:28 AM
Say it aint so Phil!?!?!?

I know, I know. I wanted to try the PX's and always wanted to try Pings. When the chance came up to try both I thought I would at least try them and I have been pleasantly suprised. But the the old faithful SEyes will be at the ready.:)

lucky
10th May 2009, 09:34 AM

So it is just more than a lump of metal at the end of a stick:lol: - lets not forget the stick makes an important difference as well=P~

virge666
10th May 2009, 09:50 AM
So it is just more than a lump of metal at the end of a stick:lol: - lets not forget the stick makes an important difference as well=P~

The stick is important - but the starting point for any fitting is the head. once you have the right head - you then tune the head with the shaft.

You get your initial launch angle and spin rate from the head - then you can add some spin or launch with the shaft. With the shaft you are looking for stability and a feel than a client likes.

3oneday
10th May 2009, 06:02 PM
Stoopid argument, just buy some toppies.