PDA

View Full Version : US Open first ball struck today

razaar
7th May 2009, 02:02 PM
The first ball struck in pursuit of the 109th U.S. Open Championship takes flight today at La Purisima G.C. in Lompoc, Calif. May 6 marks the start of 18-hole local qualifying, played at 112 sites across the country, through May 25. For complete results, including official scores, visit www.USOPEN.com (https://ionmx.com/apps/redir.aspx?type=1&l=UgjciCF&t=e0e-1132b-1132b-2153-e4b76&U=http%3a%2f%2fwww.usopen.com), where you’ll find other exclusive coverage of the 2009 U.S. Open, returning to Bethpage State Park’s Black Course in Farmingdale, N.Y., June 18-21.

We salute the players who will be participating in the U.S. Open qualifying rounds and all of the golfers competing in our national championships this season.

A New Open Record
We’re excited to share the news that a record 9,086 golfers from around the world have filed applications to compete for the 2009 U.S. Open. Nearly 9,000 of these golfers will compete in local and sectional qualifying events throughout the country and abroad for the chance to join 63 players, including defending champion Tiger Woods, world No. 2 Phil Mickelson and Angel Cabrera, winner of the 2007 U.S. Open and 2009 Masters, who are currently fully exempt into the final field of 156.

Overall, the USGA received entries from golfers in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and 71 foreign countries, including 783 applicants with foreign addresses or preferred foreign addresses. The previous record for entries was 9,048 for the 2005 U.S. Open at Pinehurst No. 2 in the Village of Pinehurst, N.C.

“We’re thrilled to receive such a positive response from the world’s best golfers,” said USGA President Jim Vernon. “It was exciting to see the reactions of players and fans in 2002, when we first brought the U.S. Open to Bethpage and staged what came to be known as the ‘People’s Open.’ It’s clear that the same energy is now building for this year’s championship. We look forward to sharing the week with tens of thousands of spectators who will witness the finest players in the world facing the game’s premier test.”

To read the complete article, CLICK HERE (https://ionmx.com/apps/redir.aspx?type=1&l=UgjdbBJ&t=e0e-1132b-1132b-2153-e4b76&U=http%3a%2f%2fwww.usga.org%2fnews%2f2009%2fmay%2f USOpen_Entries_2009.html).

Tiger Eyes U.S. Open Repeat
“Life has come a long way,” Tiger Woods told reporters via teleconference at the 2009 U.S. Open Media Day on May 4. The defending national champion has undergone many changes in his life since his U.S. Open triumph at Bethpage Black in 2002, but he’s still the world’s No. 1 golfer – and the “double-defender” to beat in June.

Here’s what Tiger had to say about life as a new father: “…having the two kids is just unbelievable, how much fun we are all having, except the sleepless nights…”

About his memories of Bethpage in 2002: “It was exciting not just for the fans but for the players, just an incredible atmosphere…”

And about how he plans to tame the beast that is Bethpage Black: “…Hit the ball well and stay out of those bunkers…”

To read the complete transcript of Tiger’s interview on Monday, CLICK HERE (https://ionmx.com/apps/redir.aspx?type=1&l=UgjddCB&t=e0e-1132b-1132b-2153-e4b76&U=http%3a%2f%2fwww.usopen.com%2fen_US%2fnews%2fart icles%2f2009-05-04%2f200905041241458615724.html).

Mike Davis Sets the Stage
Also on Monday, Mike Davis, the USGA’s senior director of Rules and Competitions, and the man most responsible for the U.S. Open course setup, spoke to reporters about the Black Course, detailing the changes made since 2002 and how it’s expected to play in June.

He also spoke about how the USGA’s course-setup philosophy has evolved in recent years, introducing concepts such as graduated rough and alternate teeing grounds. “We want it to be, in theory, the toughest test of golf the players see all year long,” said Davis.

To read the complete transcript of Mike Davis’ discussion of Bethpage Black, CLICK HERE (https://ionmx.com/apps/redir.aspx?type=1&l=UgjceCB&t=e0e-1132b-1132b-2153-e4b76&U=http%3a%2f%2fwww.usopen.com%2fen_US%2fnews%2fart icles%2f2009-05-04%2f200905041241456105474.html)

3oneday
7th May 2009, 02:08 PM
So even par or worse to win. Good stuff, it's good to see them use all their skill to make par for a change !

oldmannoodles
7th May 2009, 03:05 PM
John Feinstein's book on the US Open at Bethpage in 2002 gave a fantastic insight into the course, its history, and how the US Open got there in '02. May have to give it another look before this year's tournament.

PeteyD
7th May 2009, 03:23 PM
Might have to locate the book. Want to read his one on the masters too.

damoocow
7th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Might have to locate the book. Want to read his one on the masters too.

Pete - I have 2 of his books 'A Good Walk Spoiled' and 'The Majors' - both fantastic reads - more than happy to lend them to you - are you playing the Nudgee Plate ? - can pass them on then

PeteyD
8th May 2009, 06:29 AM
I have a good walk spoiled. Excellent book. Would gladly borrow the Majors one, thanks Damo. I will be a the plate.

virge666
8th May 2009, 10:40 AM
Will be the most boring tornament in the year... like the US Open is EVERY YEAR.

There will be no close shots to the pin, the greens will be brutal and the rough will be unplayable.

Absolutle waste of 4 days of golf.

razaar
8th May 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm of the opposite view; its fun to watch the best players in the game struggle to make par. When I got to see (first hand) the rough they have to deal with around the greens, the pin placements and green speeds, it made me realise how good they are. The winner of the US Open can claim for that week he was the best golfer in the world IMO.

virge666
8th May 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm of the opposite view; its fun to watch the best players in the game struggle to make par. When I got to see (first hand) the rough they have to deal with around the greens, the pin placements and green speeds, it made me realise how good they are. The winner of the US Open can claim for that week he was the best golfer in the world IMO.

Agree to disagree - it becomes an act of attrition and WTF wants to watch that. No one can charge, no one can actually WIN it, they have to not LOSE it. And as a spectacle... boring as bat shit.

It is like reality TV nowadays, instead of the focus being on who is WINNING a particular competition/challenge/pageant, the focus is on who is LOSING said challenge. And watching people lose is not entertaining unless they really explode, and that is something else.

If I want to watch people hang on by the skin of their teeth, chunk shots, and have putts roll off the greens - I will just watch the B graders in my Sunday comp.

Just take a look at the Masters last round... the excitement was with Phil and Tiger going at it. After they finished - it became a comp of who was not going to lose it, and it was crap by comparison. how about Quail hollow - The greens stimped 13 and they had 1.5" rough and it was sensational to watch.

I will be taping it and fast forwarding through most of it. it is neither inspiring or entertaining. i want to see the best player in the world show off their skills in all facets of their game, not just struggle with the latest 260yrd Par 3 or 480yrd Par 4 with fairways 16yrds wide.

It simply is not entertaining.

razaar
8th May 2009, 06:33 PM
So are ye saying that ye won't be watching it?:)

Johnston
9th May 2009, 10:39 AM
What is wrong with 260 yard par 3's or 480 yard par 4's Virge666 for the pro's? There is nothing worse than watching golf that is driver, flick wedge, birdie then driver, flick wedge, birdie again? A 480 yard par 4 is only around 430m and there are many of those around. I would much rather see a golf pro have to hit a long iron into a tough hole from 230 yards out and stiff it than watch a golf pro hit a 100 yard wedge and stiff it. There is nothing wrong with golf courses being set up narrow and with some rough (longish) just as long as they have pin positions that are a chance. Golf is all about playing to a position be it the fairway or to the green. Golf is not fair mate but it does become fair when you play smart.

virge666
9th May 2009, 09:43 PM
So are ye saying that ye won't be watching it?:)

Yeah - i will be there, fast forward at the ready.

What is wrong with 260 yard par 3's or 480 yard par 4's Virge666 for the pro's? There is nothing worse than watching golf that is driver, flick wedge, birdie then driver, flick wedge, birdie again?

What golf are you watching ??? Do you know what won at Quail Hollow ???

No one cares what they club they hit... i want to see action, and lots of it. I want to see someone shoot 65 on the last day to win it. I want to see birdies, I want to see people hit career shots out of the trees. I want to see passion and excitement.

I don't want to see.... 3 woods and hybrids off every tee, shots 2 feet in the rough and hacking it out and +4 winning the US open.

Would you like to see Rugby being played in soft mud, would you prefer to see Tennis played of bigger courts. How about any other sport that just slows everything down to a struggle for the professionals. The game is hard enough.

No one can charge, no one can make 4 birdies on the back nine and get the crowd on their side, no one can actually do anything but hang on by the skin of their teeth. There is no momentum and no involvement, everyone is just hoping that they can hold it together for 4 more holes.

So - yeah - i will be there.... fast forward in hand - waiting for someone to not lose it.

mike
10th May 2009, 12:02 AM
Virge the golf you want to see can be seen every single week on the USPGA tour. I'm starting to find that sort of golf a bore. The US open is fantastic to watch for the very reasons you say you hate it.
Mickelson's and Monty's meltdowns to assist Ogilvy win was truly gripping stuff. Goosen's last win, all those crucial putts he had to make, and Mickelson making a charge, well that's the sort of golf I want to watch.

virge666
10th May 2009, 09:17 AM
that's the sort of golf I want to watch.

Fair enuf mate - I just find it hard to watch, especially with the crowd not being involved. More sighs than cheers.

The FBR Open I went to was just sensational, cheering, laughing, shouting and everyone getting involved. I thought last years Open was sensational because they did not trick up the course.

razaar
21st May 2009, 06:22 AM
http://usga.usopen.com/2009/qualifying/local-results.html?nid=3