PDA

View Full Version : Pro's In the bag.

gazgolf1
7th May 2009, 06:05 AM
This is what the big boys had in the bag coming into The Masters

http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/article/0,28242,1889796,00.html?xid=forecast050609_headlin e

BrisVegas
7th May 2009, 08:22 AM
good link gaz. interesting that there are lots of 5 woods and few gap wedges.

henno
7th May 2009, 08:24 AM
The number of hybrids somewhat surprised me.

Minor_Threat
7th May 2009, 08:42 AM
I was surprised at the differences in driver lofts..

Mickelson - 7.5º
Ogilvy - 10.5º

3oneday
7th May 2009, 08:44 AM
Ogilvy was using 6.5° at one stage wasn't he ?

razaar
7th May 2009, 08:45 AM
Hybrids give much better results from the rough than a long iron. I'm betting there will be more in the pro bag under the V grooves rule.

markTHEblake
7th May 2009, 09:22 AM

i suppose that would be because they are good enough to never leave themselves with a gap wedge distance. and they need an extra long club around there

either that or they have proper lofts in their irons so they dont need agap wedge

a pro mate of mine laughed at me for using 'bitch sticks', he probably has some as well as he is getting old. :-)

markTHEblake
7th May 2009, 09:32 AM
SERGIO GARCIA: "I try not to change anything in my bag unless something new comes out, like a driver or something. I've got the R9 now. I want to keep my bag pretty much the same."

So Sergio gets something new twice a month :-)

3oneday
7th May 2009, 09:39 AM
and irons, he's playing the Tour Preferred isn't he ?

And a different putter every second yip week ?

virge666
7th May 2009, 09:43 AM
So Sergio gets something new twice a month :-)

That is a laugh... he changes equipment more than most choppers.

Utter bullshit from Sergio.

Jarro
7th May 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm sure most of them do virge ...

.. Charles Howell changes clubs from round to round so they say :roll:

razaar
7th May 2009, 10:09 AM
I have always been confused about the need for gap wedges. By chocking down the shaft on an ordinary wedge, a player will get the same result as a gap wedge. I have a set of irons made in the 40's which have the 8-iron as the most lofted club @ 50 degrees. The 9-iron is the putter.

I quess as club design developed and lofts got stronger from 2-iron to PW and the standard sand iron was 56 degrees with a 4 degree gap to the lob wedge, club makers realised that there was an 8 degree gap between the PW and sand iron. The introduction of the 54 degree sand iron with low bounce has pretty much taken the gap wedge out of the bag. The pros that play the 56* all seem to have a weak PW (49, 50, 51).

henno
7th May 2009, 03:36 PM
Gap wedge be damned. My 54 covers most bases, and apart from the putter would likely be my most used club in the bag (it's no secret that I miss a lot of greens :-))

Jarro
7th May 2009, 06:41 PM
Gap wedge be damned. My 54 covers most bases, and apart from the putter would likely be my most used club in the bag (it's no secret that I miss a lot of greens :-))

So what do you use in bunkers henno ?

A 56* with high bounce, or do you use you 54 ? And what bounce is on it ?

Or do you use a 58/60, and what bounce is on it ?

I used to use a 58/08 out of bunkers, but have found that since moving to a 56/14 my bunker play has improved markedly.

Scottt
7th May 2009, 06:45 PM
Sergio using those horrid TMTP things. Surprising, I thought he was still on the MBs. Cue spewing emoticon.

Not a lot of old models in there. I wonder if that is exactly what they carry, or if the OEMs have some say in what's in the WITB shots?

Good mix of brands and interesting read, thanks for the link, Gaz.

henno
7th May 2009, 06:58 PM
So what do you use in bunkers henno ?

A 56* with high bounce, or do you use you 54 ? And what bounce is on it ?

Or do you use a 58/60, and what bounce is on it ?

I used to use a 58/08 out of bunkers, but have found that since moving to a 56/14 my bunker play has improved markedly.

The 54 has 8 degrees, as does the 58. I use the 54 in 80% of bunkers, and only pull out the 58 if it is a high face and a small landing area.

As far as bounce, if the bunker is really fluffy, I just open the face of the 54 which gives it more bounce anyway. The only issue I have is when I pick the ball out cleanly in error and send a flyer, but if that happens there is no helping me anyway no matter what club is in my hands.

AlexMc
7th May 2009, 06:58 PM
I hear he has changed putters twice since the Masters - was using a belly putter last week and has changed to something else for this week...

Hux
7th May 2009, 08:05 PM
Ogilvy was using 6.5° at one stage wasn't he ?

Maybe the lower spin on the new S9.1 has improved things enough he can do without running a really low lofted driver with high spin?

FWIW I have read he is a real high spin player.

I would love you have a swing like his. Poetry IMHO - just a lovely tempo with zero fuss to it.

Jarro
7th May 2009, 08:10 PM
Maybe the lower spin on the new S9.1 has improved things enough he can do without running a really low lofted driver with high spin?

FWIW I have read he is a real high spin player.

I would love you have a swing like his. Poetry IMHO - just a lovely tempo with zero fuss to it.

Yet he uses ProV1's :-s

razaar
7th May 2009, 08:20 PM

Hux...I'm confused...what do you mean?

Hux
8th May 2009, 10:20 AM
Hux...I'm confused...what do you mean?

S9.1D is a low spin driver which lowers trajectory. Ogilvy has always fought fairly high trajectory shots - hence I guess the comment of a 6.5* driver.
My point is that perhaps the S9.1D offers a low enough trajectory in a 10.5* to overcome the need to use a low lofted driver. Or I guess it could be simply that he wants accuracy over distance, or the course at Kapalua didn't require a low lofted driver (I reckon he would have a few different lofts available to him).
It would be interesting to talk to a pro about their club selection reasoning and how they get it to fit into their swing.