6th May 2009, 02:26 PM
Here is a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44dySSOXxU

I didn't realise how goofy i look... :shock:
Any comments welcome

Cheers

BBM Rick
6th May 2009, 06:09 PM
Your posture at address looks really awkward. Are you using the correct length clubs for your height? It seems as though you are in a hurry to "stand up" after impact.
I guess the real question is, is it working for you?

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 06:21 PM
Rick thanks for your response the suspense was starting to kill me :)
That was my immediate thought to, having never seen myself before it looks really awkward.
I've never actually been fitted so the clubs are just standard length; I'm going to be remedying the lack of fitting soon.
It works more than it doesn't, but I know it could be better, when you say I'm in a hurry to stand up do you mean my head comes up to soon?

razaar
6th May 2009, 08:06 PM
Worst posture I have ever seen in a golf swing displayed by a lad of your age. Hold a golf shaft against the front of your body so that the butt touches the under side of your chin with the shaft resting against your chest and belly, ending between your legs. Now bend from the hips with slightly flexed legs keeping the hips high. That should provide the feeling of the posture you need for a sound swing. The golden rule is to set the posture before stepping into address.

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks razaar thats the kind of feedback i'm after, I've never had a lesson or coaching so I really appreciate it. Doing that now, cheers

Mayhem
6th May 2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah looks like you are swinging kids clubs a little. One other thing I noticed is your grip looks real strong. What is your common miss??

What range are you at there? I notice you are a Perth boy but don't recognise the range. Where do you usually play?

adlo
6th May 2009, 10:46 PM
Looks like Freo public

Mayhem
6th May 2009, 10:49 PM
Looks like Freo public

Mate.........you're sharp hey. It may well be. I have not played there since my uni days. I am quite sure I would not play that course again unless I was desperate. I have memories of crap greens, poorly designed holes and poor course maintenance. I wonder if anything has changed?

adlo
6th May 2009, 10:53 PM
Worst course in the world. Have played it twice and one of those times was forced upon me by High School. Used the range once. Terrible stuff.

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 10:53 PM
That is freo public, i live just up the road in Melville, my miss with the irons used to be a slice but the last couple of weeks I’ve been drawing it unexpectedly.
I do look really hunched over, the seven iron i was hitting is 37.5 inches which is a bit over standard i think??
Just play the public courses, collier glen iris and whaleback mostly, its funny i've shot in the low eighties at all those courses, i know there not that hard, but looking at how i swing the club i have no idea how...

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 10:55 PM
The course condition has improved a bit, its still a shit layout and the greens have about four kinds of grass growing in them. I only use it because its close:oops:

Mayhem
6th May 2009, 11:00 PM
The course condition has improved a bit, its still a shit layout and the greens have about four kinds of grass growing in them. I only use it because its close:oops:

I used to play it on the way home from uni. Cheap round. Glen iris is fantastic. Collier is also good. Whaleback used to be on the up. Still looks okay.

I used to do the Public course rounds. Based at Wembly now.

Your swing is not that bad. Your swings looked consistent. A little tweeking may see some big improvements.

adlo
6th May 2009, 11:04 PM
Collier has gone downhill of late.

Glen Iris and Wembley would be 2 of the better options around the city these days.

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 11:07 PM
Freo public is probably going to be shut down because they want to widen high road for the trucks into Freo.
I've played wembly a couple of times, nice course really well layed out.
I'll definately incoporate what razzar said about the posture, try and have a hit at the range tmz and see how it goes.

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 11:09 PM
Collier has gone downhill of late.

Glen Iris and Wembley would be 2 of the better options around the city these days.

Your right about collier some of the greens there are really ordinary atm...

adlo
6th May 2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah we got a bit sidetracked.

I agree posture is a good starting point.

Yossarian
6th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Haha, digression is always good; I’ll try to get some vision with better posture.
Cheers guys

virge666
6th May 2009, 11:42 PM
Mate,

That posture is awful. Tits out and back straight.

You cannot play golf like that unless you want to be in pain by the age of 28.

Seriously - sort that out yesterday.

BBM Rick
7th May 2009, 03:31 AM
Haha, digression is always good; I’ll try to get some vision with better posture.
Cheers guys

I think you will not get much benefit from any drills until you have a club that fits you mate. Take the time to get that correct first, then put in the time on getting yourself honed into a repetitive swinging machine!

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcZcnFeUTA

Todays effort, I think it is a bit better but i think i need to push the tits out a bit more to straighten up the upper back?

razaar
7th May 2009, 04:13 PM
Tits..men don't have tits. Better, much better. Keep your head vertical to your shoulders otherwise you bring muscles into play that are not conducive to a good golf swing. If your head is down and forward your balance will also be forward and not centred between the balls of your feet. If you have to look down, then bend at the hips & keepyour head up. Always make sure that your lower back is straight , not arched; women arch their back not men, the reason being that we need and crave power which requires coiling of the lower body and we can't do it with an arched or rounded back.

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry razaar i was quoting virge. I'll work on my head as well that was the bit that felt most unnatural for me. I'll keep hitting at the range for a couple of weeks and then maybe post some more footage.
Thanks for you advice!

BBM Rick
7th May 2009, 06:39 PM
I would like to see you hold your finish position for just a moment longer (promotes good balance) and perhaps aim to finish with your shaft at 90* to your spine, as pictured below. The idea is that this will get you working towards the right plane.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/bbmrick/golf_swing1.jpg

Happy to stand corrected!

Rick.

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds like good advice, looking at the video it does look a really abrupt finish. I'll try to put that into practise as well cheers.

henno
7th May 2009, 07:28 PM
You need to watch virge's video he did for zigwah about a curved spine, and it having to straighten before you can coil/decoil.

It's in ziggy's swing thread somewhere.

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 07:37 PM
I'll fish it out thanks

henno
7th May 2009, 07:41 PM
I'll fish it out thanks

Let me fish it out for you. (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=306949#post306949)

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 07:46 PM
haha i'm still looking, thanks mate :)

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for that henno really helpful!
And thanks for making it virge, makes a lot of sense.
To recap it, I should focus more on keeping my hips quiet during the initial takeaway?
And watch my posture?

BBM Rick
7th May 2009, 09:04 PM
I think I will back out here mate, I think Virge & Raz are far more qualified than me, and I dont want to confuse you. I will follow your progress though. Just remember, there is no substitute for practice. Useful, constructive, concentrated practice (rather than 30min of swiping) so get to it!!

Yossarian
7th May 2009, 09:10 PM
I'll be heading back to the range tomorrow :)

Yossarian
8th May 2009, 01:38 PM
Ok just back from the range, didn't take any video just trying to groove in the posture.
Focussing on keeping the hips quiet initially felt really weird but i think I achieved it.
Also noticed some muscle soreness above the left hip? Is this a good, bad or nothing sign? Or am I just soft?

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 08:11 PM
How far we've come? This edwin stuff seems to work.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks to the svelt tones of aldo.

The first shot was fat. The second was pure.

t_LY2nzHtDc

zacdullard
31st August 2009, 08:15 PM
A huge improvement from your first video.

How the hell can you concerntrate with all that wiggling you do? It's like you got ants in your pants.

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 08:18 PM
Oh and never tell rebjon you are ready for the money shot when he is filming you.

sAn0P5ef99M

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 08:22 PM
A huge improvement from your first video.

How the hell can you concerntrate with all that wiggling you do? It's like you got ants in your pants.

More like ants in my wrists, the lower body is nice and quite I think.

KristianJ
31st August 2009, 08:30 PM

It does look quiet...if anything, the lack of bend in your knees almost makes them look too quiet. My upper body waggles are pretty similar.

I agree that it's a big improvement over vid 1 though :)

zacdullard
31st August 2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe they are attracted to the remains of honey after you dipped your putter.

My coach at the moment has got me doing a set up routine that involves no movement of anything. I stand over the ball, place my club down and as soon as it touches the ground I swing. It is to stop me thinking about the shot.

It confuses me though as many other coaches say that a waggle is used to calm you beforre your shot.

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2009, 08:41 PM
huge improvement in the vids yoss.

the final one looks like an entirely different golfer.

aldo's deep voice also blew my computer speakers.

zacdullard
31st August 2009, 08:43 PM
What shape do you hit most commonly?

henno
31st August 2009, 08:44 PM

I usually hit a triangle, although I occasionally lose one towards hexagon.

zacdullard
31st August 2009, 08:45 PM
I usually hit a triangle, although I occasionally lose one towards hexagon.
You got yourself some serious problems there henno. :mrgreen:

adlo
31st August 2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe they are attracted to the remains of honey after you dipped your putter.

Gold :lol:

huge improvement in the vids yoss.

the final one looks like an entirely different golfer.

aldo's deep voice also blew my computer speakers.

Yossarian, you should have taken the audio off that video, the last thing I need is more phone calls begging me to take a job in talk back radio :roll:

Swing is improving mate.

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2009, 09:21 PM
fatties.

rebjon
31st August 2009, 09:42 PM
So are going to post up my shhhh@nk

rebjon
31st August 2009, 09:45 PM
'That was fat'

'You didn't malt that'

adlo
31st August 2009, 09:47 PM
With a bit of a Tiger accent as well.

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 09:53 PM

:-s You mean like draw fade?

Gold :lol:

Yossarian, you should have taken the audio off that video, the last thing I need is more phone calls begging me to take a job in talk back radio :roll:

Swing is improving mate.

I get the talkbalk thing a bit too. Maybe we could be a duo?:lol:

If you like?

'That was fat'

'You didn't malt that'

:lol:

Golfnut
31st August 2009, 10:20 PM

Me too while your at it honey boy.

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 10:21 PM
Me too while your at it honey boy.

:shock:

None of that ghey shit in my thread.

Golfnut
31st August 2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry couldn't help it after watching that waggle of yours :)

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 08:36 AM
Haha thanks mate.

dhills2
1st September 2009, 11:13 AM
Yoss, just watched your first and last vid... damn there has been some improvement. Keep it up mate.

zacdullard
1st September 2009, 02:08 PM
:-s You mean like draw fade?
That is exactly what I mean. What is your stock shot? It looks like a draw on the video.

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 02:21 PM
Bit of both mate, working on that at the moment. It was a high fade but seems to be becoming a high draw.

And thanks dhills I almost look like a golfer now.

I'd be interested in virge's thoughts though :)

virge666
1st September 2009, 03:12 PM
I'd be interested in virge's thoughts though :)

Classic look for how everyone thinks a right side swing looks. Hook and shank city.

USE YOUR FRIGGIN LEGS.

Your right leg just straightens and never loads. Get your right hip back (WAY BACK) and load your right leg and groin. Keep right leg flexed not straight. Any muscle you straighten out CANNOT be used as a power source.

Right hip back mate - over your right heel. Then load the hands on the downswing. Schimmy Schimmy Schimmy.

Enjoy

rebjon
1st September 2009, 06:48 PM
Classic look for how everyone thinks a right side swing looks. Hook and shank city.

USE YOUR FRIGGIN LEGS.

Your right leg just straightens and never loads. Get your right hip back (WAY BACK) and load your right leg and groin. Keep right leg flexed not straight. Any muscle you straighten out CANNOT be used as a power source.

Right hip back mate - over your right heel. Then load the hands on the downswing. Schimmy Schimmy Schimmy.

Enjoy

Yes he does have the hooks hence the closed stance or a hold off to straighten it out...

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks virge, ever thought of moving to WA?

zigwah
1st September 2009, 08:17 PM
Have you ever been to jail Yoss?

adlo
1st September 2009, 08:20 PM
Virge hates WA Yoss, but he might make a short trip.

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 08:27 PM
Have you ever been to jail Yoss?

Yes several times. Why?

zigwah
1st September 2009, 08:30 PM
was just wondering, cause that waggle looks familiar.

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 08:31 PM
Again there is no waggle there, there is some wrist action if you are interested.

zigwah
1st September 2009, 08:33 PM
i never reach around.

That arse is definately waggling

Yossarian
1st September 2009, 08:48 PM

USE YOUR FRIGGIN LEGS.

Enjoy

I think I get what you are saying virge. Any good links for a visual? Thanks mate.

virge666
2nd September 2009, 08:23 PM
Schimmy mate. Get some schimmey action going.

And I have nothing against our western neighbours. Spent my Honeymoon there.

Yossarian
2nd September 2009, 08:30 PM
I just found the one of the video's you did for zigwah.

This one

http://happybandits.com/virge/Virge/Ziggy3.wmv (http://happybandits.com/virge/Virge/Ziggy3.wmv)

Is that what you are talking about?

Yossarian
6th September 2009, 09:22 PM
Ok been working on this hip thing, mixed results. I think my lower body gets a bit too active and that upsets the apple cart.

Will try to get some more vision soon.

virge666
27th September 2009, 06:09 PM
Come on then - show me what you got.

Zeusgolf
27th September 2009, 06:29 PM
Come on then - show me what you got.

Tuesday, can get the video out ???

virge666
27th September 2009, 11:00 PM
Do it !

Yossarian
28th September 2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah tuesday sounds good zeus. Should be free after one. You keen to adlo?

I am trying to borrow my girlfriends mums camera it has a much better video capability.

adlo
28th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Weather forecast for tomorrow is very grim, so unlikely for me.

Yossarian
28th September 2009, 12:14 PM
Grim hey... Maybe I am oot too then.

adlo
28th September 2009, 12:24 PM
Tuesday Cool, showers. Possible hail. Min 8 Max 16

TheNuclearOne
28th September 2009, 12:26 PM
i never reach around.

That arse is definately waggling

Seriously, you were gawking at his arse?

:smt108

Zeusgolf
28th September 2009, 02:56 PM
Undercover range ????

Yossarian
28th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah we could do whaleback?

Zeusgolf
28th September 2009, 07:22 PM
Sounds good

Yossarian
28th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Ok i'll give you a msg tmz about 1, I should be done at work by then, hopefully i don't get stuck there all day.

Zeusgolf
28th September 2009, 10:04 PM
Ok i'll give you a msg tmz about 1, I should be done at work by then, hopefully i don't get stuck there all day.

NP got the nod from the boss

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 05:51 PM
Aw right we hit the range today here is some video.

3bJaJFyRea0

and

fvDtzWfYoqs

Zigwah does my arse look fat in those pants?

razaar
29th September 2009, 06:29 PM
Damn, I blinked and missed it.

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 06:29 PM

Sorry razz.

henno
29th September 2009, 06:30 PM
Hot damn, your tempo is quicker than mine!

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Real men have a quick transition. ;)

adlo
29th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Needs a quicker transition

henno
29th September 2009, 06:34 PM
Don't ever buy an Aldila DVS, Yoss.

That is all.

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 06:36 PM
Don't ever buy an Aldila DVS, Yoss.

That is all.

Been there, pulled that.

henno
29th September 2009, 06:39 PM
As well all know, my golf swing is worth closing your eyes for... but I don't like your back knee locking out like that.

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah that is something I am still working on, I agree it needs work. Stops the hips rotating fully I think as well.

parlyboy
29th September 2009, 06:51 PM
Not bad Yoss. The swing that is.

Is you backswing quicker than ur downswing?? Or am i seeing things...

razaar
29th September 2009, 06:51 PM

Sorry razz.
I'm sorry my eyes aren't quick enought these days. A couple of things- I realise that this swing was for a video and may not be what you do on the course.
The first tip is to get very relaxed. You have set up with a good body angle and posture but with tight muscles you won't be able to maintain both during the swing. Notice how your right leg has straightened in the backswing. That is because your torso muscles are tense. They need to be fully relaxed (think of cooked spagetti) to get a full coil of the upper body against the lower body. Straighten the right leg and the body angles and posture change with no chance of recovery.

The second thing is your tempo. What is the big hurry. Timing will be a real issue for you with that tempo. Timing is what squares up the club face at impact, its a hip turn /arm thing.

Your swing has come along very well in a short time, well done Yoss.:)

Yossarian
29th September 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry my eyes aren't quick enought these days. A couple of things- I realise that this swing was for a video and may not be what you do on the course.
The first tip is to get very relaxed. You have set up with a good body angle and posture but with tight muscles you won't be able to maintain both during the swing. Notice how your right leg has straightened in the backswing. That is because your torso muscles are tense. They need to be fully relaxed (think of cooked spagetti) to get a full coil of the upper body against the lower body. Straighten the right leg and the body angles and posture change with no chance of recovery.

The second thing is your tempo. What is the big hurry. Timing will be a real issue for you with that tempo. Timing is what squares up the club face at impact, its a hip turn /arm thing.

Your swing has come along very well in a short time, well done Yoss.:)

Thanks razz, appreciate the comments.:)

Both your points I have been thinking about. I was playing the other day with adlo and zeus at maylands and was feeling really loose and relaxed, hit the ball really well. Something to work on for sure, as is the tempo, if anything I think I get quicker on the course, need to focus on that as well... Its been a fun progression so far. Although with cricket season here it might tail off a little bit.

Yossarian
30th September 2009, 03:08 PM
I feel somewhat ignored virge :)

Jarro
30th September 2009, 03:21 PM
Yoss, is that an attempt at a Stack&Tilt swing ?

It sure looks like it :-k

Yossarian
30th September 2009, 03:41 PM
No it is still meant to be gary edwin. I am probably doing lots of stuff wrong though :)

zigwah
30th September 2009, 04:00 PM
Aw right we hit the range today here is some video.

3bJaJFyRea0

and

fvDtzWfYoqs

Zigwah does my arse look fat in those pants?

Not at all Yoss, but i would prefer seeing a chick wear those shorts!!

henno
30th September 2009, 04:52 PM
I don't get it. They look like regular shorts to me.

Yossarian
30th September 2009, 11:10 PM
Ok i've gone through the book again, I gotta get a bit more flex in that right knee.

Also I think I am taking the club away a little inside.

Lucasto23
1st October 2009, 08:51 AM
For whats it's worth the swing looks way better than first vid

TourFit
1st October 2009, 09:24 AM
I think that maybe your clubs are a little short...your body angles look good at address, but you seem to have to reach for the ball which pulls your arms slightly away from your body, adds tension to your arms and upper body (including a slight dipping of your head).

If you want to check, accurately measure your height then measure the distance from your left wrist crease line to the floor (feet together, standing normally and arms hanging by your side). PM me the numbers and I'll tell you the 'suggested' length of your clubs.

razaar
1st October 2009, 10:14 AM
Yoss, you have a similar head action at the top of the backswing swing to my wife's....turning the head to the left to get a better look at the ball. Not sure this is a good thing to make into a habit and what the long term effects will be on your spine. The spine has 24 vertibrae that allows each a small amount of shearing movement which allows the spine to coil about 70+ degrees with the head fixed. The move that is in your swing is forcing the neck (cervical) vertibrae into a compromising position IMO which will also impact on the lower back (lumbar) region because of the curved shape of the middle back. It is much safer to let the head turn slightly right with the shoulder turn and let the shoulders turn it back to the centre in the forward swing. An advantage to this swing wise, is it allows a much better perspective of the inside path to the ball.

Zeusgolf
1st October 2009, 10:17 AM
Ok i've gone through the book again, I gotta get a bit more flex in that right knee.

Also I think I am taking the club away a little inside.

Yep :smt038

This is what I have been working on....

Yossarian
1st October 2009, 03:11 PM
Yoss, you have a similar head action at the top of the backswing swing to my wife's....turning the head to the left to get a better look at the ball. Not sure this is a good thing to make into a habit and what the long term effects will be on your spine. The spine has 24 vertibrae that allows each a small amount of shearing movement which allows the spine to coil about 70+ degrees with the head fixed. The move that is in your swing is forcing the neck (cervical) vertibrae into a compromising position IMO which will also impact on the lower back (lumbar) region because of the curved shape of the middle back. It is much safer to let the head turn slightly right with the shoulder turn and let the shoulders turn it back to the centre in the forward swing. An advantage to this swing wise, is it allows a much better perspective of the inside path to the ball.

Loosen the neck up a bit then? Or make a concious effort to move the head right a little?

Yossarian
1st October 2009, 03:18 PM
I think that maybe your clubs are a little short...your body angles look good at address, but you seem to have to reach for the ball which pulls your arms slightly away from your body, adds tension to your arms and upper body (including a slight dipping of your head).

If you want to check, accurately measure your height then measure the distance from your left wrist crease line to the floor (feet together, standing normally and arms hanging by your side). PM me the numbers and I'll tell you the 'suggested' length of your clubs.

Will do tourfit. You free tmz arvo after 12ish? Might come up.

TourFit
1st October 2009, 03:35 PM
Yessir !!

razaar
1st October 2009, 06:05 PM
Loosen the neck up a bit then? Or make a concious effort to move the head right a little?
I remember watching a a camera segment of Tigers's swing. The camera was mounted on the brime of his cap. It really surprised me how far his head turned to the right (his eyes were obviously still focused on the ball) and how it returned to centre at the start of the downswing and the length of time it stayed at centre. He stayed down an awfully long time when it was slowed down on the tape.

adlo
1st October 2009, 06:57 PM
You have to slow that backswing down Yoss, its crazy fast.

Yossarian
1st October 2009, 08:18 PM
Real men have a quick backswing.

But I agree it needs to slow somewhat.

TheNuclearOne
1st October 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't get it. They look like regular shorts to me.

No surprise he likes chicks to wear mens clothing ;)

Zeusgolf
2nd October 2009, 11:02 AM
Yoss this guy is a GE intructor in Singapore...

http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/how-to-fix-your-swing-plane-path-t1114.htm

Yossarian
25th November 2009, 05:29 PM
Been deveolping a real draw of late, which is good and bad.

Has left me wondering where my fade has gone but it seems to be a consistent shot pattern for me to play to.

Hooks are no fun though :(

adlo
25th November 2009, 05:31 PM
Go to the range, get something to help your alignment, slow your swing down a touch and experiment with ball position.

Your swing is looking the same. I think it is a minor glitch.

Yossarian
25th November 2009, 05:32 PM
:smt023

razaar
25th November 2009, 06:23 PM
Been deveolping a real draw of late, which is good and bad.

Has left me wondering where my fade has gone but it seems to be a consistent shot pattern for me to play to.

Hooks are no fun though :(
The plane of your swing has to match on both sides Yos. The clubhead is to follow on the rim of a big hoola hoop which is on an incline aimed at the target. Fair bet you are swinging off plane with your arms. At address we set up with the left arm under the left shoulder. When we turn into the backswing the relationship between the left arm and the left shoulder has to be maintained (in the simplist of swings) so that the hands can return through their address position on a slight inside to inside path. A good swing thought to have at the top is to swing the arms under the left shoulder from the inside. If your grip is good and you don't sway up, down or to the sides, there won't be much curve to your shots.
The bill is in the mail.:wink:

Yossarian
25th November 2009, 08:09 PM
Cheers razz, you have articulated what I have been thinking. Thanks mate.

Just went to the range and hit the ball pretty much as well as I ever have. Good signs.

Golfnut
25th November 2009, 10:57 PM
Range today after yesterday :shock:?!? Man on a mission....

Yossarian
26th November 2009, 09:36 PM
Go to the range, get something to help your alignment, slow your swing down a touch and experiment with ball position.

Your swing is looking the same. I think it is a minor glitch.

You are a genius sir. Alignment, tempo, soft hands= bombs. Now if only I was allowed to put a shaft down on the course.

adlo
26th November 2009, 10:04 PM
You are a genius sir. Alignment, tempo, soft hands= bombs. Now if only I was allowed to put a shaft down on the course.

We play golf together often enough......

Enjoy.

Yossarian
26th November 2009, 10:10 PM
Random question. Are you allowed to make a practise swing and then move back and use it to check alignment? It kinda seems like it would be cheating. Occured to me today when i was looking at my divots.

adlo
26th November 2009, 10:12 PM
Sure you can. You just hit the ball with an alignment aid in place.

Yossarian
26th November 2009, 10:26 PM
So that would be cheating. But having my caddie call me off isn't...:lol:

Ah well more practise it is, every range session from now on, no exceptions.

grandmasterb
27th November 2009, 06:18 PM
So that would be cheating. But having my caddie call me off isn't...:lol:

Ah well more practise it is, every range session from now on, no exceptions.

The caddy thing is a real sore spot for some people, personally i dont really mind. If i've got a bloke standing behind me telling me i have aimed correctly thats fine, i've still have to hit the freaking ball there which is easy said than done sometimes lol

Yossarian
27th November 2009, 07:27 PM
So why aren't we allowed to carry around a big can of paint and draw lines on the grass so we are correctly alinged?

grandmasterb
28th November 2009, 11:47 AM
So why aren't we allowed to carry around a big can of paint and draw lines on the grass so we are correctly alinged?

The paint/line would be classed as an outside agent which is not allowed.

Yossarian
28th November 2009, 12:17 PM
And a caddy is not an outside agent how?

Daves
28th November 2009, 03:50 PM

Because the rules specifically exclude them as an outside agent.

Yossarian
28th November 2009, 11:52 PM
Hey adlo, if you do caddy for me.... :)

adlo
30th November 2009, 01:07 AM
My caddying services will go the highest bidder, provided I lose on Wednesday.

LarryLong
30th November 2009, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't recommend the caddy option. You're probably going want to belt a bloke who spends all day saying "Youre not lined up properly".

3oneday
30th November 2009, 07:01 AM
And a caddy is not an outside agent how?because he isn't allowed to stand there whilst you hit it.

grandmasterb
30th November 2009, 11:22 AM

because he isn't allowed to stand there whilst you hit it.

I must have 3 caddies nearly every time i play with the old blokes in my groups. They certainly pick some "interesting" spots to stand :roll:

virge666
4th December 2009, 10:36 AM
I agree that the caddy is an outside agent - and that blokes like Greg Charmers are cheating...

You can however - use the aligment aid on your golf ball and put the ball on the tee lined up with a twig or leaf on the ground to give your self the perfect practice station on the golf course.

All you do is . .

1: Pick out a twig or leaf
2: Standing behind the twig or leaf - put the tee in the ground.
3: Use the alignment aid on your ball to point to the twig or leaf.
4: Align the marker on your driver to the aid on your ball pointing to the leaf/twig
5: Then address the ball - keeping that straight line with your hips and feet.

this is the best bit though... only works when the leaf/twig is a foot or so in front of the ball !

6: On the downswing, drive your right shoulder to the leaf/twig. You can't help but have your hands in front, and your body goes in the right direction.

Enjoy

Yossarian
8th December 2009, 12:22 AM
Missed this, cheers virge.

Yossarian
31st May 2010, 08:19 PM
How far we have come.

Quick question. I seem to be hitting this gay fade, block, high right thing with my hybrids. When I push my hands back a bit at setup it seems to go away. Thoughts, discussion, comments.

Yossarian
31st May 2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry meant at setup not impact! :)

Yossarian
28th July 2010, 07:10 PM
Had a massive breakthrough today, I think.

Thankyou whoever posted that elkington video.

Golfnut
28th July 2010, 11:20 PM
Linky plz.....I'm having a shocker at the moment :(

Gone from an 8 over par round and solid mid teen rounds to hacker in a week and a half....HELP!

LarryLong
29th July 2010, 06:58 AM
I think it was in the Martinez thread, wasn't it?

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/17854-Martinez19696/page3?highlight=martinez

TourFit
29th July 2010, 02:54 PM
Linky plz.....I'm having a shocker at the moment :(

Gone from an 8 over par round and solid mid teen rounds to hacker in a week and a half....HELP!

Good to see that my sound advice has had detrimental effects already !!!!

Golfnut
29th July 2010, 03:03 PM
Abso.....****en....lutely. I've totally lost the plot with my swing over the last 2 weeks.

Pieface
29th July 2010, 03:57 PM
Try to keep perspective GN. I'm sure this "loss of form" is still miles in front of where you were 6 months ago :)

I know my expectations have increased over time and a round I'm dark about now was in my target zone 6-12 months ago.

I used to gauge my performance over 9 holes:
55+ Poor
50-55 Average
49- Good

My expectations have probably shifted those marks downward by about 5 shots ie I'm disappointed when I get 50+ now and I'm always hoping to break 90 everytime I go out.

Buck up mate at least you have broken through the 40 strokes for 9 holes barrier!

Golfnut
29th July 2010, 04:07 PM
All true PF.....was trying to convince myself about exactly what you're saying mate......can't seem to buy a GIR at the moment, 2nd shot (Par4's) was where I'd seen the bigest improvement but that's the part that's just gone to the dogs....and with it, my confidence. Not hitting driver well either.

Golf's a C^NT of a game......I mean, you do expect the lows but I feel like I'm in a real slump right now......even thinking of going back to my old Nike Sumo shovels to try get a bit of confidence back.

Pieface
29th July 2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe a round or two where you just have a few cans and try not to worry about the score mate. Expectation can be a bit of a millstone. While not in the same order as your 8 over par I know it took me a while to break 90 again after the first time I did it.

Interesting to see your comments about losing your GiR and feeling down on your driving. I really think the "drive for show, putt for dough" mantra is more applicable to the low markers than the mid-high handicaps. I know my best scores to date come off the back of solid (for me) driving. You stay on the short stuff and play your second shot from a predictable lie, it breeds confidence. You start getting off line and hitting those funky lies, even in the short rough, eg extremely tight or in amongst crab grass clumps. Your next shot doesn't go as expected and you start second guessing yourself, your club and shot selection and it can go pear shaped rapidly.

Yossarian
27th August 2010, 07:18 PM
For future reference when my swing breaks it is due to:

1: FLIPPING!
2: Tempo.
3: Alignment.

razaar
28th August 2010, 06:45 AM
Yoss
Can you articulate (1) a definition of flipping; & (2) what causes flipping.

Yossarian
28th August 2010, 12:12 PM
Bad juju.

A breakdown of the wrist angles?

Laziness in the golfer, chasing extra metres.

razaar
28th August 2010, 01:42 PM
Bad juju.

A breakdown of the wrist angles?

Laziness in the golfer, chasing extra metres.
By bad juju...do you mean witchcraft?

A flip is when the clubhead beats the hands to an imaginary line extending from the ball to the centre of the chest. To achieve this the left forearm has to stop its rotation which causes the left wrist to hinge (palm to back of hand) instead of unco(k (thumb to little finger) as the hands slow down through the centrifugal force of the clubhead in the bottom part of the through-swing. Usually the right hand/arm and/or shoulder overpowers their left counterpart in the downswing.

Yossarian
28th August 2010, 06:44 PM
Yep thats what I meant ;)

bergsey
29th August 2010, 04:39 PM
Yoss, take this with a grain of salt but if i was you i would not be looking to make too many dramatic changes to your swing.

I was in a similar position to you a number of years back and although received plenty of good help, there was just too much info in the mind to process it.

I started playing heaps better and dropped strokes by not 'playing golf swing' and actually playing golf.

I play with plenty of single digit handicappers who have very ugly swings, large slices etc. The key is that they can repeat it and they have a fantastic short game.

If i was you i would forget about dicking around with your long game and spend heaps of time putting and chipping - you will shave half a dozen strokes of your handicap easy.

My 2c

Yossarian
29th August 2010, 07:55 PM
Cheers mate. Haven't really be messing around with anything, but you are right. I almost feel comfortable with the putter atm! :)

Golfnut
4th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Good advice bergsey that we/I should all try remember prior to teeing off.....too often I get stuck in that 'playing golf swing' mode.....focusing on the target helps take the mind off the swing a little.

Yossarian
19th September 2010, 06:03 PM
Something of a breakthrough maybe I dunno.

More knee flex, focus on mantaining said flex, see a circle, a cycle, repeat.

Golfnut
19th September 2010, 07:36 PM
Moar knee flex????

Yossarian
20th September 2010, 02:35 PM
Yes flex of the knee.

razaar
20th September 2010, 03:19 PM
Be carefull with knee flex, Yos. Flex that feels good in the backswing may have an adverse effect in clearing the left leg/hip in the through-swing. It is a good idea to set leg flex with the forward swing in mind.

Yossarian
20th September 2010, 05:14 PM
Cheers raz, it does feel a little like I'm getting stuck on my right foot. I should really just book in for some lessons somewhere and learn to putt.

Yossarian
12th December 2010, 08:19 PM
Picked up a random golf mag in Phuket airport. Had a good article on one and two plane swings. I think I might actually understand my swing now.

One thing I didn't get was for one planers it suggested hitting to 11 o clock through impact? Shouldn't it be 1 o'clock?