PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used or formatted a "Bart Disk" ?

Ned
5th May 2009, 09:47 PM
God I cant to see what henno is going to do with this thread!!!!!!!!!! (Dope)

---------------------------------------------

Have a Raid set up with twin 80 gig drives.

However one of the drives has failed.

One suggestion has been to format a Bart Disk and try to recover data from the remaining mirrored drive.

Comments ?

markTHEblake
5th May 2009, 09:55 PM
isnt a bart disk, something that you can download from the usual P2P networks, that has like 100 disk utilities on it

Ned
5th May 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

LarryLong
5th May 2009, 10:06 PM
BartPE is like a bootable windows environment, isn't it?

I had a similar problem and used something called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (or UBCD4Win). It worked well for me, got me up and running to an OS and I could recover my system. That's a bit different to data loss or a HDD going down though.

That said, if you've got two mirrored drives, isn't the whole idea that you can basically chuck one of them away and still keep all your data? If not, I know there are data recovery programs around that will look at drives that have deleted data and all sorts of things like that and recover stuff. There's probably something free around that you could use.

Ned
5th May 2009, 10:14 PM

I had a similar problem and used something called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (or UBCD4Win). It worked well for me, got me up and running to an OS and I could recover my system. That's a bit different to data loss or a HDD going down though.

That said, if you've got two mirrored drives, isn't the whole idea that you can basically chuck one of them away and still keep all your data? If not, I know there are data recovery programs around that will look at drives that have deleted data and all sorts of things like that and recover stuff. There's probably something free around that you could use.

Whilst its mirrored, it needs to HDD's to make the RAID set up work.

And trying to get a hold of a SATA 80 gig HDD is near impossible. (Most common HDD these days is a 160 gig IDE set up.)

markTHEblake
5th May 2009, 10:17 PM

yep thats what i was thinking of.

I had a similar problem and used something called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (or UBCD4Win).i think that one might be all Free software, there is another thing called Roadstarter or something like that which all pirated software.

And trying to get a hold of a SATA 80 gig HDD is near impossible. (Most common HDD these days is a 160 gig IDE set up.)

there for sale everywhere! just maybe not in the sticks i guess.

henno
5th May 2009, 10:25 PM
This is all dependant on the type of RAID array. (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6)?

For only two disks it is obviously striped or mirrored, and I'll assume the latter otherwise all is lost anyway. (RAID 0 provides absolutely no redundancy.)

Also, if you plan on trying to recover data, I would stress that the HDD should be mounted in read-only mode.

I have absolutely no experience with a "Bart Disc" so I can't help you there. I'd boot a linux OS, mount the NTFS partition ro and have your data copied to another drive within the hour. :-)

henno
5th May 2009, 10:26 PM
Also, there is nothing stopping someone from adding a larger HDD to a raid array. The only drawback is that the size of the RAID 1 array is only as large as the smallest disc.

kev
6th May 2009, 06:38 AM
never mind. ignore me.

Courty
6th May 2009, 05:31 PM
Just chuck it out & re-download all the pr0n again. ;)

Ned
6th May 2009, 05:51 PM
Just chuck it out & re-download all the pr0n again. ;)

3 drives (1 is OS, 2 are the RAID - 80 GIG X 2)

Its one of the RAIDS thats died which is the data side.:(

henno
6th May 2009, 05:56 PM
Ned, does the RAID have a total capacity of 80G or 160G?

schwartzy
7th May 2009, 09:25 AM
If it is mirrored (raid 1) put in another disk (must be larger or equal to capacity of the first drive) an the system will rebuild itself. If it is striped (raid 0) you are out of luck.

henno
7th May 2009, 03:32 PM
If it is mirrored (raid 1) put in another disk (must be larger or equal to capacity of the first drive) an the system will rebuild itself. If it is striped (raid 0) you are out of luck.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

For only two disks it is obviously striped or mirrored, and I'll assume the latter otherwise all is lost anyway. (RAID 0 provides absolutely no redundancy.)

there is nothing stopping someone from adding a larger HDD to a raid array. The only drawback is that the size of the RAID 1 array is only as large as the smallest disc.

Ned
7th May 2009, 07:16 PM
Ned, does the RAID have a total capacity of 80G or 160G?

Its set up with TWO 80 gig drives.

Minor_Threat
7th May 2009, 07:35 PM
Its set up with TWO 80 gig drives.Yes but are they Striped (RAID 0) 160G Total or Mirrored (RAID 1) 80G Total????

Ned
7th May 2009, 08:11 PM
Yes but are they Striped (RAID 0) 160G Total or Mirrored (RAID 1) 80G Total????

Oh yeah, sorry mirrired raid 1

henno
7th May 2009, 08:18 PM
Just buy another HDD and throw it in there. The array will rebuild, although you'll still only have 80G available no matter what size HDD you buy (bigger than 80G of course).

Ned
7th May 2009, 08:20 PM
Just buy another HDD and throw it in there. The array will rebuild, although you'll still only have 80G available no matter what size HDD you buy (bigger than 80G of course).

One on its way!:mrgreen:

henno
7th May 2009, 08:23 PM
Problem solved!

markTHEblake
7th May 2009, 09:26 PM
shoudnt mirrored raid continue working fine when one drive fails.
i thought that was bloody idea of mirroring them.