PDA

View Full Version : wrist ****

zigwah
29th April 2009, 12:09 PM
Been mucking around with wrist ****. Trying to get a flatter left wrist at the top of my backswing.

I find when the left wrist is in a collapsed position at the top of the back swing, it feels like it is very strong and controlable, but find it nearly impossible to shut the club face at impact.

I find when i try to keep my left wrist flat at the top of the backswing it feels very weak with no control, but very easy to have the clubface square or even shut at impact.

What i'm wondering is if the feeling of weakness will become one of power and control over time?

henno
29th April 2009, 12:20 PM
Funniest word filter ever.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 12:24 PM
geez i'm smutty

sms316
29th April 2009, 12:50 PM
I thought this thread would be about Scott Laycock, given the author.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 01:07 PM
Another question, i have been slicing the ball with the collapsed wrist, what effect am i going to have when the wrist is too straight, pull hooks out to in or snap hook in to out?

Jarro
29th April 2009, 01:12 PM
Stop thinking so much and just go and hit the ****ing thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eag's
29th April 2009, 01:13 PM
----

sms316
29th April 2009, 01:15 PM
Where is that "ignore thread" link? I've lost 10 IQ points reading ziggy's posts today.

Eag's
29th April 2009, 01:15 PM
Another question, i have been slicing the ball with the collapsed wrist, what effect am i going to have when the wrist is too straight, pull hooks out to in or snap hook in to out?

Stop thinking so much and just go and hit the ****ing thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said ^^^^
I can honestly say I have never thought about what my left wrist is doing :smt102 The less I think about technical things the better ;)

virge666
29th April 2009, 01:44 PM
Bend the right wrist, don't flatten the left.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 02:39 PM
What he said ^^^^
I can honestly say I have never thought about what my left wrist is doing :smt102 The less I think about technical things the better ;)

Hey guys, just don't read my posts, seriously, why even click on them?

Sure if i want to just chop around be happy with mostly pars and bogeys and ecstatic with the odd birdie, i wouldn't think about my swing much either.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 02:55 PM
Bend the right wrist, don't flatten the left.

That sounds better, i was finding that i was layed off at the top, which was extreme different to what i had with the collapsed wrist.

PeteyD
29th April 2009, 03:56 PM
imagine you are holding a platter of food with your right hand.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 05:22 PM
imagine you are holding a platter of food with your right hand.

I think this is along the lines of where i have been going all this time, even when i played a lot years ago.

Both my wrists bend using the same action, which i'm starting to realise that sux?

My right wrist cocks like a forward karate chop. wrong yes?

So what your saying pete is, your right wrist is like, say when your shooting a basketball just before you release it right handed of course?

Toolish
29th April 2009, 06:41 PM
**** the left wrist as much as you like, just don't bend it. Like you say, feels powerful but really sucks!

For me working on a flatter left, more bent right at the top meant a lower flight with a draw instead of a high fade.

Good luck with it.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 06:45 PM
**** the left wrist as much as you like, just don't bend it. Like you say, feels powerful but really sucks!

For me working on a flatter left, more bent right at the top meant a lower flight with a draw instead of a high fade.

Good luck with it.

How is everyones right wrist cocking?

Iain
29th April 2009, 06:57 PM
Don't try to **** your wrist's, when you take the club to the top the weight of the club will force it to **** slightly.

henno
29th April 2009, 07:14 PM
When I **** my **** I always feel my **** getting ******* before I even get a chance to **** my ****.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 07:17 PM
they have a nasal spray for that :)

markTHEblake
29th April 2009, 07:22 PM
peteyd's tip is a good one, that is what i am working on.

Zigwah, there are many good golfers with a cupped left wrist and many with a closed (collapsed) left wrist, and probably quite a few that keep it square.

Obviously if you have one of those wrist positions everything else is going to have to be in synch with that. Tom Lehmann is a classic example of what a golfer has to do through the ball when coming into impact closed. If he had a downsing like Tiger Woods he would hook so far he would have to wear a helmet.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 07:28 PM
peteyd's tip is a good one, that is what i am working on.

Zigwah, there are many good golfers with a cupped left wrist and many with a closed (collapsed) left wrist, and probably quite a few that keep it square.

Obviously if you have one of those wrist positions everything else is going to have to be in synch with that. Tom Lehmann is a classic example of what a golfer has to do through the ball when coming into impact closed. If he had a downsing like Tiger Woods he would hook so far he would have to wear a helmet.

Yeah your right about many golfer doing many different things.

I just don't think the i have been getting to the top is going to get me a lot further, i feel strong at the top but i am very inconsistent, and i ****ing hate that, when i'm on song i think i hit a nice golf ball, i'm just looking for the package that will give me some more consistency.

I'm probably being a bit hard on myself, cause i've only been back at it for about 4 or 5 months, but im an impatient prick.

razaar
29th April 2009, 08:13 PM
For your swing Zig ( being tall with low hands at address) a good feeling for the wrist set is to hinge the right wrist back on itself and cocking the wrists upwards, blend the two together smoothly. This will flatten the back of the left hand and set the right wrist in a power position to deliver the clubhead from behind the hands - a late hit.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 08:33 PM
a pro i used to have lessons with tried to get me to do this Razaar, if im understanding you correctly, but i was young and stupid and didn't practice it a lot as it felt awkward.

Since trying it again it doesn't feel so awkward, so with some persistence hopefully it will provide a consistant swing.

Eag's
29th April 2009, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, just don't read my posts, seriously, why even click on them?

Sure if i want to just chop around be happy with mostly pars and bogeys and ecstatic with the odd birdie, i wouldn't think about my swing much either.

Don't post pointless dribble and you won't get these types of responses, it's quite simple really.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 09:13 PM
Don't post pointless dribble and you won't get these types of responses, it's quite simple really.

It's not pointless to me Eags

dee cee
29th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Don't worry too much about what it is doing at the top. It's game time coming into impact. Maintain a flat left wrist just prior to, at and just beyond impact. That will get you hitting it well. Of course other things also have to be working, but this is something you should aim for.

If your left wrist breaks just after impact, you will cause loads of problems.
Swing the club in your left hand only, keep the left wrist flat as described above. See what happens after impact if you are keeping it flat???? Wow, a new sensation. Better golf is not far.

I said stupid, but it's true.

dee cee

zigwah
29th April 2009, 09:24 PM
Don't worry too much about what it is doing at the top. It's game time coming into impact. Maintain a flat left wrist just prior to, at and just beyond impact. That will get you hitting it well. Of course other things also have to be working, but this is something you should aim for.

If your left wrist breaks just after impact, you will cause loads of problems.
Swing the club in your left hand only, keep the left wrist flat as described above. See what happens after impact if you are keeping it flat???? Wow, a new sensation. Better golf is not far.

I said stupid, but it's true.

dee cee

I agree, but i'm not yet comfortable at starting my downswing.

AndyP
29th April 2009, 09:36 PM
I didn't realise the swear filter picked up "l.i.m.p"

zigwah
29th April 2009, 09:53 PM
Andy is that the real premiership cup?

cause you look real small next to it?

AndyP
29th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Andy is that the real premiership cup?It's real and it's spectacular.

cause you look real small next to it?
I've lost a lot of weight and height.

Johnny Canuck
30th April 2009, 12:24 AM
Speaking of c()ck.

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/old_school/earmuffs.wav

http://www.vvaughn.com/videos/from%20movies/2003%20-%20Old%20School/06%20old%20school%20-%20earmuffs.jpg

zigwah
30th April 2009, 08:28 PM
For your swing Zig ( being tall with low hands at address) a good feeling for the wrist set is to hinge the right wrist back on itself and cocking the wrists upwards, blend the two together smoothly. This will flatten the back of the left hand and set the right wrist in a power position to deliver the clubhead from behind the hands - a late hit.

Tried this today and it was very good.

I usually whack a couple of hundred balls into the paddock then go get em, but this time i just took my lttle bit of fairway with me and walked around just hitting the golf bals were they were, sort of did a bit of a hotch potch of the nine ball drill virge has mentioned before. It was the best time i have had practising since returning to the game.

Felt so much more simple, than what i was trying to do before, less moving parts, and very easy to get back to the ball. :mrgreen:

Lookout Barny here i come!!

Scottt
30th April 2009, 09:01 PM
http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8667357098/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/11/23/barney01.jpg

TheNuclearOne
2nd May 2009, 12:05 AM
Get that right elbow working properly and it will c0ck the left wrist correctly for you.

zigwah
2nd May 2009, 07:54 AM
Get that right elbow working properly and it will c0ck the left wrist correctly for you.

I found when i got my wrist cocking the way i wanted too, my elbow wanted to stay in a not fly out keeping the club parralell at the top

zigwah
3rd May 2009, 06:10 PM

This along with better posture is really helping, had my best score soince returning to the game 41 with 2 doubles within pitching distance of the green :smt013

But struck the ball well off the tee, missed 2 fairways.

razaar
3rd May 2009, 07:36 PM
Zig...finally some results...make sure the arms and elbows stay close together into the follow through and extend out at the target. You will know you have it right when the left elbow and the back of the left wrist point to the ground at waist high with the right arm fully extended at the target.

zigwah
3rd May 2009, 08:22 PM
Zig...finally some results...make sure the arms and elbows stay close together into the follow through and extend out at the target. You will know you have it right when the left elbow and the back of the left wrist point to the ground at waist high with the right arm fully extended at the target.

I have already found razaar, that if i dont keep my arms and ebows together through the ball, i sort of come off the ball and cut it.