PDA

View Full Version : Probably another stupid question re shaft length

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 04:47 PM
If I take an inch of my driver shaft which is currently at 45.5 inches and a aldila proto by you 65 S what kind of difference would i notice in the stiffness? I'd be taking it from the grip end? Anything else?

Anywhere in Perth someone can recommend?

TheNuclearOne
28th April 2009, 05:11 PM
The SW is more of a concern i think. You'll lose about 6 points from memory. The shaft will stiffen a little but if you add weight to the head to bring the SW back up it will play close to what it did. I'd try it cut then add a few grams of lead tape at a time until it felt good. That's what i do.

simmsy
28th April 2009, 05:19 PM
Pm "TourFit" on these forums. He is based in Balcatta and can certainly help you out with your query.
Well worth using his services when you need them.

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 05:27 PM
cheers mate

kwantfm
28th April 2009, 05:58 PM
TheNuclearOne has it right. You'll lose approximately 6 swingweight points and you'll gain approximately 6 cpm in flex which is roughly half a flex. All of this is a bit of voodoo science across a large variety of shafts so your mileage may vary with regard to the VS Proto. You'll have to add a lot of lead tape to recover the swingweight loss if that is your intention. I've personally played a driver at C4 (now with a 6 marker friend of mine) and it was one of the best drivers I've ever hit... so you may just want to try it out first before adjusting head weight.

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys, was wondering about SW, i'll keep it all in mind. I've pmd tourfit be nice to chat to him about all this i reckon

Tomson
29th April 2009, 04:40 AM
That’s a lot for graphite, 6 points would be for steel. If I take an inch off it usually lends to half that, 3 swing weights. I usually run my driver at 44.5 to increase my club head speed. The only time I have found it go stiffer is if its butt stiff. If it tip stiff then its usually made no difference in the cpm cycle but if you are worried about it would could always put a tip weight in to soften it and add swing weight. Most clubmakers I have talked to say most people can't feel 2-3 swing weights. I profile my shafts before they go in to a driver just out of curiosity, at 6 inch sections.