PDA

View Full Version : Going to WA where should I play

Flavzz
28th April 2009, 03:22 PM
Going to stay with my old man next month in Perth, would like to play somewhere real nice within an hour and a half of the city. A friend suggested The Cut in Port Bouvard which looks awesome. Anywhere else really good? Dont mind paying close to $100 a round if its worth it... i am also a Drummond member so there are a few courses in there, but where do you guys think??

Courty
28th April 2009, 03:25 PM
Plenty of good courses over that way. Joondalup, The Vines, The Cut, Secret Harbour, Kennedy Bay etc etc.

I played Kennedy Bay once with some OZgolfers and got severely reamed. :cry:

simmsy
28th April 2009, 03:32 PM
Plenty of good courses over that way. Joondalup, The Vines, The Cut, Secret Harbour, Kennedy Bay etc etc.

Yep, i think any of these, for mine out of those it would be KB, Joondalup & the Vines. Araluen may be worth looking at.

Also worthwhile would be Mandurah Country Club (sometimes called Halls Head Country Club) about 1 hour from Perth and fairly cheap. All the other ones mentioned earlier are your premium priced courses.
Other cheaper courses worth playing that I know of are:
Hartfield, Pinjarra, Kwinana, Sun City. These are all private/public courses and not resort style like Joondalup, Vines and may not be available on all days especially w'ends.

You will get a vote from Aldo & Johnny for Binningup, really nice course about 1&1/2 south of Perth. It is very good, but a fair drive in my eyes.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 04:00 PM

I played Kennedy Bay once with some OZgolfers and got severely reamed. :cry:

If you ever make it out here again I'll guide you around the course. Big hitters can survive there, just sometimes the big hits need to come with a 4 iron!

Golfnut
28th April 2009, 06:19 PM
......... Araluen may be worth looking at........

Count Araluen out....that place is a sh!t hole at the moment (well, as of a month ago at least)

Flavzz
28th April 2009, 06:21 PM
Count Araluen out....that place is a sh!t hole at the moment (well, as of a month ago at least)

thanks for the update mate, where would you recommend? Im leaning towards The Cut atm judging by the looks and nice restaurant for a feed afterwards..

Golfnut
28th April 2009, 06:31 PM
Probably Joondalup or The Vines if your looking for an excellent golfing experience and a good restaurant style feed afterwards.

adlo
28th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Probably Joondalup or The Vines if your looking for an excellent golfing experience and a good restaurant style feed afterwards.

Fair call there.

If it is strictly for golf I would suggest Kennedy Bay.

simmsy
28th April 2009, 08:10 PM

sorry for that one then.
why cant they maintain that course. they get it right and then 6 months later it falls over again hurting their reputation in the process.
This has been an ongoing cycle for ever it seems.

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:15 PM
sorry for that one then.
why cant they maintain that course. they get it right and then 6 months later it falls over again hurting their reputation in the process.
This has been an ongoing cycle for ever it seems.

I believe a change of ownership and securing more water revived the course. I don't know what they have done this time, but I am struggling to see how they are going to survive. Until they can consistently maintain decent conditioning, most Perth golfers will keep it off the golfing radar.

simmsy
28th April 2009, 08:22 PM
yeah i got burned by them once a couple of years ago. specifically asked when i made the booking how the course was looking, they assured us it was good, by the 3rd hole we knew we had been had. They wouldn't be getting anymore of my money until I heard good consistant reviews from them for a while.

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:31 PM
simmsy, I don't know if the course will survive long enough for that day to come.

simmsy
28th April 2009, 08:37 PM
too bad so sad!
plenty of better courses in Perth to satisfy me anyway.

Mayhem
28th April 2009, 10:40 PM
Mate I would definately have a look at Binningup. Quiet little country course, great design, challenging generally in good nic and picturesque. It is an hour and a half from the city but most times I play there I don't see another golfer. Usually cars in the carpark but it is such a relaxing round of golf. It could take 1 hour or two hours to play the 9 holes depending if you are in a rush. I love it.

I would knock off that and kennedy bay in a day. Kennedy Bay is half way there. Play KB in the morning and B-up in the arvo. B-up is more protected from the breeze where50% harder in the sea breeze. B-up is less of a thinkers course than KB. Definately buy a course map if you do KB. I had Adlo and JC giving me advice last time I played it and still found the going tough. Still hit 4 fairway bunkers on the front 9 too.

I enjoy Secret harbour too. That is a high traffic public course though so probably head in the joondalup/Vines direction first.

Enjoy...............

adlo
28th April 2009, 10:43 PM
Mate I would definately have a look at Binningup. Quiet little country course, great design, challenging generally in good nic and picturesque. It is an hour and a half from the city but most times I play there I don't see another golfer. Usually cars in the carpark but it is such a relaxing round of golf. It could take 1 hour or two hours to play the 9 holes depending if you are in a rush. I love it.

I would knock off that and kennedy bay in a day. Kennedy Bay is half way there. Play KB in the morning and B-up in the arvo. B-up is more protected from the breeze where50% harder in the sea breeze. B-up is less of a thinkers course than KB. Definately buy a course map if you do KB. I had Adlo and rebjon giving me advice last time I played it and still found the going tough. Still hit 4 fairway bunkers on the front 9 too.

I enjoy Secret harbour too. That is a high traffic public course though so probably head in the joondalup/Vines direction first.

Enjoy...............

Sound advice.

Mayhem, fixed your post. There are a few too many John WA ozgolf members. At least 3. You got the wrong one :)

Mayhem
28th April 2009, 10:47 PM
My apologies mate. So hard dealing with names and not faces.

adlo
28th April 2009, 10:52 PM
No probs. Next time we catch up for a hit I will fill a few more blanks.

idgolfguy
29th April 2009, 07:56 AM
I've heard that Glen Iris has a nice restaurent too. Not eaten there myself. Vines has a buffet on a Friday evening. Thefood there is a bit hit and miss at times. Try to get on the Lakes course as the Ellenbrook had been cored and sanded last week. The 15th hole is still closed from the JW.

Lakes was cored 3 weeks ago but the green are back but putting at around 9 or 10. It's amazing how quickly grass can grom.

Flavzz
29th April 2009, 08:13 AM

I would knock off that and kennedy bay in a day. Kennedy Bay is half way there. Play KB in the morning and B-up in the arvo. B-up is more protected from the breeze where50% harder in the sea breeze. B-up is less of a thinkers course than KB. Definately buy a course map if you do KB. I had Adlo and JC giving me advice last time I played it and still found the going tough. Still hit 4 fairway bunkers on the front 9 too.

Enjoy...............

I've heard that Glen Iris has a nice restaurent too. Not eaten there myself. Vines has a buffet on a Friday evening. Thefood there is a bit hit and miss at times. Try to get on the Lakes course as the Ellenbrook had been cored and sanded last week. The 15th hole is still closed from the JW.

Lakes was cored 3 weeks ago but the green are back but putting at around 9 or 10. It's amazing how quickly grass can grom.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys. Oh man too many choices, i'll prob only be able to play one round cos my old man isnt the keenest of golfers. As long as its a memorable place then i'll be happy.. Seems to be lots of WA Ozgolf members on here. Keep the thoughts coming. It might be a friday when we play as well so that may help if we decide to play the Vines or Joondalup(busy course)etc.. any more advice is welcome.. cheers guys

Golfnut
29th April 2009, 08:46 AM
Good thinking idgolfguy.....should have thought of GI myself considering its my local.....the restaurant serves exceptional food and the course is in excellent condition at the moment (played it on Monday). Obviously not as high up in the pecking order as The Vines & Joondalup but still a very challenging players course.....hell, with the money you save at GI compared to the other 2 courses mentioned, you could shout your old man his game, dinner and enough booze to have a big day out.

From memory 18 holes is about $32 + $25 for a cart....a good feed shouldn't cost you anymore than $30 + drinks.

adlo
29th April 2009, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't play GI if the guy is looking for something memorable.

Golfnut
29th April 2009, 08:56 AM

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2009, 09:16 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Similar to The Cut, minus the scenery.

Golfnut
29th April 2009, 09:22 AM

Whoops...miss read the "wouldn't" bit :-s.....yeah for the whole golf experience thing, then Vines or Joodalup has it.

Still find GI enjoyable and most importantly "Affordable" :)

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2009, 09:24 AM
Whoops...miss read the "wouldn't" bit :-s.....yeah for the whole golf experience thing, then Vines or Joodalup has it.

I had a message typed with a double quote of Aldo's and yours GN stating "are we talking about the same thing?" and I thought that maybe you were agreeing, but still calling it one of the better publics, so I cancelled it.

idgolfguy
29th April 2009, 12:20 PM
The Vines is currently $35 for 18 if you play with a member - not a bad deal at all. You have to pick your days though because of corporate days and it can be slow going when the public get on.

I agree that GI has a private club resort feel but don't think the course is that great as it has been cut down and closed in. It doesn't have the generous fairways and the greens inconsistent and untidy. It can be quite slow at times.

rebjon
29th April 2009, 12:36 PM
The Vines is currently $35 for 18 if you play with a member - not a bad deal at all. You have to pick your days though because of corporate days and it can be slow going when the public get on.

I agree that GI has a private club resort feel but don't think the course is that great as it has been cut down and closed in. It doesn't have the generous fairways and the greens inconsistent and untidy. It can be quite slow at times.

The condition of GI isn't to bad at the moment as they recently had the Bibra Classic. That said not somewhere I would send an interstate visitor for a WA golf experiance.....

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2009, 01:53 PM
Bunbury is a very enjoyable country track. Nothing spectacular, but well worth a hit.

Yossarian
29th April 2009, 02:40 PM

Agreed about GI if they let you hit over houses that course would be so much more fun :twisted:

idgolfguy
29th April 2009, 04:00 PM
I thought they did! Aren't they considered hazards?

adlo
29th April 2009, 04:22 PM
Ladies

I'm lobbing in town this Saturday around noon.
I am slowly going to make my way south to marg River.

I was tossing up an arvo 9 at Binningup and 9 on Sunday morning at Bunbury. Is Bunbury worth a look or should I sleep in ?

Or scrub the lot and I got to Ascot and Glouster park.

I know you love a punt, but play both.

Both great tracks. Try and get off the back 9 at Bunbury (sorry JC, you played the worse 9).

Yossarian
29th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Haha, not sure how the residents would feel about that but if you buy a house bordering a golf course...:-k

Its the nets they have on the second, so you can only hit a power fade and the sign saying please don't hit driver and the net on fourth that restricts how you shape your shot. Really frustrates me...:mad: that and some of the clientele...:neutral:

Mayhem
29th April 2009, 10:53 PM
Good thinking idgolfguy.....should have thought of GI myself considering its my local.....the restaurant serves exceptional food and the course is in excellent condition at the moment (played it on Monday). Obviously not as high up in the pecking order as The Vines & Joondalup but still a very challenging players course.....hell, with the money you save at GI compared to the other 2 courses mentioned, you could shout your old man his game, dinner and enough booze to have a big day out.

From memory 18 holes is about $32 + $25 for a cart....a good feed shouldn't cost you anymore than $30 + drinks.

I second that Golfnut, GI is also my closest course. Resturant is great. Or it used to be. Have not been ther in a while.

The course seams well balanced. Front 9 is at least. I love playing the 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th around the lakes. Good day out there are good value. $30 for 18 sounds about right. I shot my first sub 40 round there and I usually shoot low scores.

simmsy
29th April 2009, 11:00 PM
Ladies

I'm lobbing in town this Saturday around noon.
I am slowly going to make my way south to marg River.

I was tossing up an arvo 9 at Binningup and 9 on Sunday morning at Bunbury. Is Bunbury worth a look or should I sleep in ?

Or scrub the lot and I got to Ascot and Glouster park.

Capel might be worth a go.
Haven't played it myself for sometime but from memory a very nice track on your way down south.

adlo
30th April 2009, 12:21 AM
Capel is Bunburys poorer cousin. Both good tracks though.

adlo
30th April 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up ads..I was going to ask you which nine to play.
No worries.

#10 is a great short par 3 and a nice view over the estuary.

#12 and #14 are amongst my favourite par 4s on the course. Make sure you use that power cut to stay on the RHS of the fairway on 12.

The par 5's are solid 3 shotters so keep it straight.

I like how at Bunbury the long par 4's are pretty wide open for the drive.

The front 9 features a few "driving corridors" off the tee which might have you and your baby cut weeping :cry:

I'll be keen to hear your impressions.

Bunbury was rated in the top 3 WA courses by Australian touring pros who played tournament golf in WA last year. The greens are amongst the best we have to offer.

Flavzz
30th April 2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Strongly considering The Vines or Joondalup too along with The Cut. Like I said I do want somewhere memorable and scenic. Unfortunately I dont know a member so we would be paying $100 each I think. I think the drive down to The Cut would be nice as well and im keen to see a bit of the surrounding city and coastline.. The vines is close enough to my old mans place so might be able to do that along with another if i'm lucky.. thanks guys

Johnny Canuck
30th April 2009, 11:33 PM
The Cut has a special on their website http://www.the-cut.com.au/. It says it expires at the end of March, but it is still there. Might be worth a try.

Bring a camera if you end up playing. Not the greatest course, but great scenery.

Look for the targets that tell you where to hit on 10, 12 and 18.

Flavzz
2nd May 2009, 02:38 AM
The Cut has a special on their website http://www.the-cut.com.au/. It says it expires at the end of March, but it is still there. Might be worth a try.

Bring a camera if you end up playing. Not the greatest course, but great scenery.

Look for the targets that tell you where to hit on 10, 12 and 18.

Ok cheers for the advice, but when you say its not the greatest course do you mean condition wise or layout or what? Just that on the latest top 100 courses it came in at number 6 in Australia :-k. Appreciate all the comments guys :)

adlo
2nd May 2009, 07:54 AM
Take a look through the WA courses thread, we have all had a chat about the Cut.

It is a bit "mickey mouse". Condition is always good.

Johnny Canuck
2nd May 2009, 10:26 AM
Ok cheers for the advice, but when you say its not the greatest course do you mean condition wise or layout or what? Just that on the latest top 100 courses it came in at number 6 in Australia :-k. Appreciate all the comments guys :)

I give it a fairly detailed rundown in the WA course thread.

a brief description:

It is very Mickey Mouse in a lot of places, with a couple holes that I consider the worst in the state. It also has a couple outstanding holes.

It is worth playing to check out the scenery, which is second to none out here. However, it will be very frustrating for you with the blind tee shots on 10, 12, 17 and 18 and the blind approach on 15. It would be good to play with someone that has played there before as you can get blocked out or lose balls quite easily if you don't know exactly where to aim.

Flavzz
17th May 2009, 04:25 PM
Just got word from the old man that Mandurah is the place to go for a reasonably priced round and somewhere interesting to visit.. had a look at the satellite image on google and while it looks nice it does seem very straight and a tad boring but I am looking from a couple km's above the course. Seems to have a forest worth of trees lining the fairways too...lol.. May not be the most memorable round? Set me straight guys or should I stick to the Vines/Joondy/the cut, I leave next thursday..

Johnny Canuck
17th May 2009, 06:26 PM
Mandurah is a very nice track, one of the most underrated ones in the region. The others you mention are more spectacular and memorable, but the design of Mandurah is 10 times better than The Cut.

simmsy
17th May 2009, 06:34 PM
definately one of my fav courses here in WA. Has got a couple of boring holes but overall i find it pretty interesting. well worth a visit especially given the price.

adlo
17th May 2009, 06:58 PM
Depends what he is looking for? A nice members parkland track is good for locals, but for a visitor, perhaps a bit boring?

Edit: if you are staying down that way and want a Perth golf experience you'd be silly not to head to The Cut, Kennedy Bay or Secret Harbour. Even Meadow Springs.

Bruce Dickinson
18th May 2009, 03:14 PM
I played Joondalup yesterday and it was in great condition. Greens were very good, firmed up and putting 2-3 feet quicker than normal and fairways excellent.

Well worth a visit.

adlo
18th May 2009, 07:46 PM
The only issue is distance from Mandurah. Otherwise, is someone wanted WOW factor, Joondalup would have to be top 2 with The Cut.

Yossarian
18th May 2009, 07:53 PM
This thread makes me realise that living in WA I should really try a play some of these courses....

adlo
18th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Do it. Very enjoyable.

I need to play Cottesloe and Lake Karrinyup and it is killing me. Gotta play them!

Yossarian
18th May 2009, 08:20 PM
Hmm only have lectures tomorrow and 900 dollars burning a hole in my wallet...:-k

:)

Flavzz
18th May 2009, 08:36 PM
This thread makes me realise that living in WA I should really try a play some of these courses....

yeah well from the research I have done so far you guys have an awesome spread of courses within 2 hours of Perth, thats why I wanted to try find one of the best courses to play when I have a chance..

Johnny Canuck
18th May 2009, 08:59 PM
Kennedy Bay is a much better course than all of the others in terms of playability. Only $45 too.

Johnny Canuck
18th May 2009, 09:04 PM
If I were to choose the 3 for you I would choose:
Kennedy Bay
Joondalup (Dunes/Quarry)
The Cut

The Cut is way overrated in my opinion, but it does carry the WOW factor that you need on a vacation.

Yossarian
18th May 2009, 09:04 PM
Only $45?? Anyone keen for a round tmz :)

Mayhem
18th May 2009, 09:29 PM
Do it. Very enjoyable.

I need to play Cottesloe and Lake Karrinyup and it is killing me. Gotta play them!

Is Chad at Lake Karrinyup? Do you still have his contacts?

adlo
18th May 2009, 09:34 PM
Only $45?? Anyone keen for a round tmz :)
No can do. It will be $25 if you play with me or Johnny Canuck 8-)

Kennedy Bay is a much better course than all of the others in terms of playability. Only $45 too.
I agree with that comment. However, the WOW factor is greater at Joondalup and The Cut. Only for the first time around though.

Is Chad at Lake Karrinyup? Do you still have his contacts?
Yeah, he offered a hit, I have his email, should follow up on it. I had another option for LK but that seems to have fizzled.

Yossarian
18th May 2009, 11:49 PM
No can do. It will be $25 if you play with me or Johnny Canuck 8-)

8) Definately be keen sometime if you guys are up for a round with a chopper :)

Johnny Canuck
19th May 2009, 12:14 AM
I usually play with one every Saturday:mrgreen:.

adlo
19th May 2009, 12:15 AM

For sure, I am a chopper too. Normally play Saturday AM though. Canuck plays a bit more often I think, he is a bit less of a chopper :shock:

idgolfguy
19th May 2009, 08:39 PM
Being a bit biased, I do like Kennedy Bay, but I enjoy the Vines and it can be quite testing if your distances aren't spot on.

BTW.
It is my home turf and shouldn't be discounted. Plus yu have the choice of two eighteens that are quite different to each other.

adlo
19th May 2009, 08:41 PM
My major criticism of The Vines is the par 4's are all 340-380m with a few exceptions.

Not enough excitement. Because the fairways are 75m wide you hit driver and low-mid iron all day.

Apart from that, nice course.

idgolfguy
19th May 2009, 09:25 PM
The Lakes ranges from 330 - 400 depending on the tees you play. Ellenbrook is 320 - 420. Off the tee the fairways can be wide depending on the holes you play but they can be get narrow or bunkers getting in the way.

The par 3s tend to be generally long - shortest being 150m with the longest being 230m. I don't enjoy the Par 3s.

The par 5s are fun because there are a couple that can be reached in 2 if you have a good drive and can use the slope and runs to your advantage.

Like Joondalup, the greens are large (resort course style to handle the wear and tear) and undulating. This makes the course harder. Depends on whether you enjoy putting.

I still find the Vines quite challenging but then again I don't use driver as often as others would on that course. It is a different style of course to The Cut, Joondalup and Kennedy Bay. It is also of a different generation - 1983/84. Maybe a little earlier so it could be getting very dated. Joondalup is about the same age or a little younger.

My criticism of the Vines is that as 18 was initially built with the second 18 coming later with a different designer or combination of designers. They mix and matched a nine from each to make the two courses. Thus causing each course to lose some consistency and flow.

The greens at the Vines can be a little slower than I like but have found that at the Cut and Kennedy Bay. The members at the Vines tend to complain when thegreens are slick. I have played Pennants at Joondalup quite a few times and have found the greens are sometimes inconsistent. More likely due to my poor reading of the undulations.

I enjoy KB too but don't seem to find that as difficult as most seem to think. I've generally played close to my handicap the 18 or so times I've played there. However, have only played the Blacks twice. I think I shot 8 over and 1 under my handicap respectively (I would have been off 21 HC at the time) off the Blacks. Off 11, I don't know how I'd fair off the Blacks with less strokes to play with.

In terms of excitement - it depends on your context and what you like in a course.

BTW.
Would love to play Karrinyup and Cottesloe too!

adlo
19th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Kennedy Bay isn't that tough, but it can be viscious. It comes down to course management. However, if you are playing poorly, it is not a course you can scrape together a decent score. Play poor, score poor.

I enjoyed seeing the composite course at The Vines. Much better. Would like to play that sometime.

I will try and get you on LK, I am working a few channels there. Not sure about Cott though.

Johnny Canuck
19th May 2009, 10:17 PM
Kennedy Bay isn't that tough, but it can be viscious. It comes down to course management. However, if you are playing poorly, it is not a course you can scrape together a decent score. Play poor, score poor.

I enjoyed seeing the composite course at The Vines. Much better. Would like to play that sometime.

I will try and get you on LK, I am working a few channels there. Not sure about Cott though.

Can't wait until you get a nice windy winter's day out there. You will shoot well over 100 in a stroke round this year!

Just think, hybrid 3 on Wee Tap. I normally hit PW.

17 off the blues. Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood.

Unable to get to 15 in 2 off the blues with a Nuffie melted drive and a melted 3 wood.

It gets real fun.

They have also cut back a ton of rough and shortened a lot of grass since the re-open.

adlo
19th May 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't doubt that JC, I am talking in normal conditions. Any coastal course is a bitch in winter weather.

Yossarian
19th May 2009, 10:51 PM
Can't wait until you get a nice windy winter's day out there. You will shoot well over 100 in a stroke round this year!

Just think, hybrid 3 on Wee Tap. I normally hit PW.

17 off the blues. Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood.

Unable to get to 15 in 2 off the blues with a Nuffie melted drive and a melted 3 wood.

It gets real fun.

They have also cut back a ton of rough and shortened a lot of grass since the re-open.

Sound like fun:shock:

adlo
19th May 2009, 10:55 PM
Especially when you consider I have seen him play driver, 9 iron into par 5's #17 and #13. He hits the ball a long way. I think I will just hit putter along the ground.

Yossarian
19th May 2009, 11:03 PM
Especially when you consider I have seen him play driver, 9 iron into par 5's #17 and #13. He hits the ball a long way. I think I will just hit putter along the ground.

:shock: Holy frick

I once hit a GIR on a par 3 at collier with my putter.

It was of the ladies tees though:)

Coogee Beach
21st May 2009, 05:53 PM
Someone's probably already suggested this mate, but there are two courses you have to play either side of Perth and if you don't you should, and I know this is a bit strong, but you should just up and kill yourself.

Or not and just lament not playing there. Your call. But the two are:

The Cut - a wind-polished gem down past Mandurah
Joondalup - 27 holes of Robert Trent Jones Jr fun park.

Heard Kennedy Bay is great (but is it out of receivership?) and liked the Vines and Meadow Springs also.

But those other two are something else.

Outside of the metro I'd definitely advise getting down to Dunsborough Lakes, Capel, Bunbury and a couple of great friendly tracks in Margaret River and Albany.

This month's Golf Digest has reviews of the SW WA courses, next month's has Perth.

Coogee Beach
21st May 2009, 05:54 PM
Particularly get to Margaret River, and ask around for "Micko" - captain Mick O'Hara - and "Whingeing Johnny" who won't be hard to find because he runs the golf shop. Top fellahs, and completely mad.

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks again guys for all your help, I'm in Perth now and have been for the past couple days. Enjoyed it very much but unfortunately have to leave at 2am tomorrow morning... :( but I will be back very soon. Caught up with my old man and saw a bit of the town.. Freo(prison tour and submarine tour), Burswood :smt023 made a couple bob too which was handy. Then today finally the weather fined up and we got to play a round :)

So off we went this morning to The Cut. After much consideration(I could only choose 1 course) I decided on this course due to the hopefully memorable day it would provide due to the coastal location and all you guys trusty recommendation. Joondalup was a very close second choice and will be the first course I play when I come back here soon.

The Cut on first impressions was quite nice, fairly hilly but trully punishing if you dont keep it low and straight. Course condition was acceptable but not so good in parts, and for close to $100 a round I did expect a little better. But the pro shop lady was good and gave us two carts for the price of 1 to take our 3 person group even tho I played solo while my dad and missus watched.

Had to hire clubs as well which turned out interesting. At the Cut the only clubs they hire out have graphite shafts in all irons and were fairly flexy.. but the Bridgestone driver included had a stiff 65 gram Aldila shaft which when I warmed up I was hitting really nicely. I play a regular shaft at home and always thought I may need to play a stiff shaft. I think I may be getting one in my next driver after this experience. Irons were terrible tho as I think my swing speed is too fast for them... Next time definately bringing my own sticks..

Weather today was gold. After the last two days in perth I thought I may not get to play but 19deg and sunny was just the ticket.

As far as how I played, not so much :smt093 but I wasnt taking it too seriously. I was in the frame of mind to just try and enjoy it with my dad and missus there, which I did... ended up bringing 7 balls, a handfull of tee's and my glove. Came away with 2 balls and a gross score of just over a ton(the worst score of this year :( by a long way) but with hire clubs and in different state i'll forgive myself....lol Must say I had fun tho and enjoyed the crazy views. Thanks again for everyones input and maybe when I come back you guys can join me for a couple more rounds @ Joondalup and a couple others...

sorry for the long winded review but thought I would update this thread, cheers guys :smt038

Mayhem
24th May 2009, 08:56 PM
Good stuff Flavzz, glad you could enjoy the weather. This has been the wettest and coldest week of the year by a long way so in some respects you were unlucky. Today was a cracker though.

Glad you didn't choose Joondalup actually. I am pretty sure it was closed to public as there was a pro-am on there this weekend. There may have been 1 course open but it was wise to avoid it this weekend.

Let us know when you are coming back.

adlo
24th May 2009, 09:01 PM
Good stuff.

When you come back play Joondalup, The Vines and Kennedy Bay.

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 09:09 PM
Good stuff Flavzz, glad you could enjoy the weather. This has been the wettest and coldest week of the year by a long way so in some respects you were unlucky. Today was a cracker though.

Glad you didn't choose Joondalup actually. I am pretty sure it was closed to public as there was a pro-am on there this weekend. There may have been 1 course open but it was wise to avoid it this weekend.

Let us know when you are coming back.

Good stuff.

When you come back play Joondalup, The Vines and Kennedy Bay.

Yeah thanks guys, Joondy is first on my list next time fo sho! Today was an absolute gem weatherwise. One thing at the cut tho, hit my drive on the 18th hole and absolutely ripped it up the right centre, but when I got down there, no ball in sight! Some of the blind tee off's were a little frustrating having not played the course before. must have rolled through a couple of fairways into the scrub due to not being able to see the main fairway line off the tee. But I did enjoy it.. Had a couple really nice drives on a few of the holes.. Anyone played there lately?

adlo
24th May 2009, 09:15 PM
Played it a month back. Completely agree with your comments. Like I said many times in this thread, and other WA threads, The Cut is a mickey mouse course. So is Joondalup.

The best course for real golf is Kennedy Bay, hands down.

Apart from that: The Vines, Meadow Springs. Unfortunately at The Vines they will put you on the Ellenbrook course (visitors) and it is a bit boring IMO.

Hartfield is great on green fee days (Mon/Tues I believe).

idgolfguy
24th May 2009, 09:23 PM
Let me know when you're in town and I can organise the Lakes course at the Vines, no doubt that we could get a foursome from the regulars here. Should be able to do $35 for 18 without golf carts or $55 with. I expect the member's guest rates should last till Summer anyway.

Hartfield is around $25 for public on Monday and Tuesdays. I don't think they have carts. Prefer to walk anyway.

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 09:33 PM
Played it a month back. Completely agree with your comments. Like I said many times in this thread, and other WA threads, The Cut is a mickey mouse course. So is Joondalup.

The best course for real golf is Kennedy Bay, hands down.

Apart from that: The Vines, Meadow Springs. Unfortunately at The Vines they will put you on the Ellenbrook course (visitors) and it is a bit boring IMO.

Hartfield is great on green fee days (Mon/Tues I believe).

Let me know when you're in town and I can organise the Lakes course at the Vines, no doubt that we could get a foursome from the regulars here. Should be able to do $35 for 18 without golf carts or $55 with. I expect the member's guest rates should last till Summer anyway.

Hartfield is around $25 for public on Monday and Tuesdays. I don't think they have carts. Prefer to walk anyway.

Adlo and Idgolfguy,

Kennedy Bay was in my top 4 To Play list aswell and I really like the look of the layout and I will take you up on the offer for the Vines too mate as the lakes course would be a beauty to play, cart or no cart doesnt bother me.. I'll yell out as soon as I get my next flights booked. Just so many courses here and not enough time. Would like to get to Binningup as well from what ppl have said but its a fair drive from perth yeah?

adlo
24th May 2009, 09:36 PM
About 1 hour 30 mins, should be a bit less soon when the new Perth-Bunbury freeway opens up.

Worth every minute of the drive though.

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 09:47 PM
Oh cool i thought i was further south, that sounds good. It would have been close from where I was at mandurah today then :( ah well next time

adlo
24th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah you could have got there by driving about another 30-40 mins from the Cut.

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 09:59 PM
Next time i'll play Kennedy bay then drive on to Binningup to play both in one day if im real keen :) but not likely. havent played 27 or 36 holes in one day since I was a junior.. But could play all 27 holes of Joondy next time if someone is keen :)

adlo
24th May 2009, 10:06 PM
Binningup 9 and KB 18 is a pearler.

Joony 27 would have to be carts, and I hate golf in carts.

adlo
24th May 2009, 10:17 PM
You might have got your last chance to play The Cut anyway..... (http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuId=77&ContentID=143623)

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 10:54 PM
You might have got your last chance to play The Cut anyway..... (http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuId=77&ContentID=143623)

crazy mate, explains why I got my Nike Air Zoom Elite II's in the pro shop for a clearance price :) Would be sad if it goes under tho. Surely someone else will pick it up...

Johnny Canuck
24th May 2009, 11:19 PM
How much were they? Lots of sizes?

adlo
24th May 2009, 11:25 PM
Are they good? Wide fit?

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 11:31 PM
How much were they? Lots of sizes?

$189 from $279 and I think they have one pair in white in a size 10US(might be more) but they also had a lot of footjoy at really good prices too so could be worth checking out if you want some shoes. Give them a call mate, all shoes heavily discounted from what I could tell...

Flavzz
24th May 2009, 11:34 PM
Are they good? Wide fit?

yeah they are crazy comfy and pretty wide I think.. time will tell. Premium leather upper and nice quality padding. I'll let you guys know after a couple more rounds.. Keep in mind I had a cart today so walking a round will give me a better idea of how good they are....

Johnny Canuck
24th May 2009, 11:42 PM
sounds good. keep us posted!

Yossarian
25th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Those shoes are going for 150 at golf box i think? Might be over now though.

Flavzz
26th May 2009, 02:11 PM
oh well, im happy with them, at least I didnt pay $280

Johnny Canuck
26th May 2009, 02:56 PM
over, according to the website.

Yossarian
26th May 2009, 06:41 PM
Good buy then Flavzz:D

TourFit
27th May 2009, 05:08 PM
Adlo,

LK is DEFINATELY worth a visit...as good as it gets in WA (very close between it and KB - although very different.) I've played it 4-5 times now, and the new changes made have generally been good (although the greens are VERY tough, being very hard). I would be using all you got contacts wise to try and get a game...

I played Cott and wasn't all that impressed...but then I don't generally like Kike courses!!! It can be a bitch in the wind though... the changes there have improved the look and playability of holes too.

adlo
27th May 2009, 08:31 PM
Email just sent to LK contact, see what he says. Otherwise I have someone else to bug. Bloody elusive track to get on.

Bruce Dickinson
27th May 2009, 09:28 PM
Email just sent to LK contact, see what he says. Otherwise I have someone else to bug. Bloody elusive track to get on.
just got to know the right people:lol:

adlo
27th May 2009, 09:32 PM
Shut up Mr Manager.

Wanna hook me up?

Bruce Dickinson
27th May 2009, 09:41 PM
Shut up Mr Manager.

Wanna hook me up?

possibly - dependent on a few ongoing issues

adlo
27th May 2009, 10:15 PM