PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Test 2005, 3rd vs Pakistan

AndyP
30th December 2004, 03:30 PM
Lee out of Australian squad for third Test (http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/DEC/143667_AUSPAK2004-05_30DEC2004.html)
December 30, 2004

Brett Lee has been left out of the Australian squad for the third Test to enable him to play for New South Wales against Western Australia in an ING Cup match on January 2. Stuart MacGill, the legspinner, and Shane Watson, the allrounder, have been added to the eleven that won the second Test against Pakistan in Melbourne.

Trevor Hohns, the chairman of the national selection panel, said the decision to release Lee was taken after discussions with the player. "Following discussions with Brett, we have agreed to give him the chance to get some more game time under his belt by being available to play for New South Wales," said Hohns. "We felt it was unlikely Brett would be selected to play in Sydney, as the three fast-bowlers currently in the XI are doing a very good job. So in Brett's best interests, we feel it is important for him to get some solid match practice , not just for New South Wales, but also for Australia A over the next couple of weeks."

Hohns added that the selection panel was sensitive to Lee's position. "We acknowledge that the last few months have been frustrating for him, but his attitude and work ethic have been first-class."

Watson came in for special praise with Hohns describing him as an "an exciting young talent." Hohns added, "Shane gives us the option of going into the match with a combination of two fast-bowlers, two spinners and a seamer. His inclusion in the squad certainly gives us some variety if needed. Although he has yet to play a Test, Shane has plenty of experience as part of this squad, most recently in India, so if selected, we feel that he should be able to settle in and do a job for us."

Hohns also gave MacGill the thumbs-up. "Stuart gives us the ability to play two spinners if needed. He has taken a lot of wickets for New South Wales and has plenty of experience at the Sydney Cricket Ground. He is a proven performer for us, whenever opportunities have been presented to him."

The third Test against Pakistan begins on Sunday, December 2, at Sydney.

Australia squad 1 Justin Langer, 2 Matthew Hayden, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Damien Martyn, 5 Darren Lehmann, 6 Michael Clarke, 7 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 8 Shane Warne, 9 Jason Gillespie, 10 Michael Kasprowicz, 11 Glenn McGrath, 12 Shane Watson, 13 Stuart MacGill.

----------

So what do we reckon? Unchanged team. :roll:

Although I would love to see Watson play for Australia, I can't see the selectors putting him in the side to replace Lehmann, before Katich.
And I would like to think that MacGill won't get a game [-o< . It's a big enough worry that he is in the squad in the first place.

BTW I'm calling this one a draw early. :roll: :lol:

Jarro
30th December 2004, 05:08 PM
can't see anything other than an Aussie victory .... no matter who plays for us.

goughy
30th December 2004, 05:21 PM
I'm glad they are giving lee a chance to play some cricket. Not particularily because I'm a big fan of his. I just think this 12th man position is a wasted position. I think it did much harm to bichel's career (it's not a qld thing onewood). I just can't see how sitting around, playing in the nets can prepare someone for match cricket.

At least if he gets some games under his belt they may actually be able to tell if he is in form or not.

Aussies to win in 2 days. I luv watching them kick butt.

Onewood
30th December 2004, 07:58 PM
Stuart MacGill, will bowl these guy's out in 3 days easy 8) this is not a NSW thing (goughy :lol: ) And the guy who called this to be a draw needs to get off the pain killers :roll: :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
30th December 2004, 09:58 PM
whilst it would be smart to play Mcgill in sydney, i dont think they will. Mcgrath can bowl anywhere, and it wont make any difference, they will still walk over Pakistan.

Jarro
31st December 2004, 07:59 PM
interesting to hear talk that Lehman might be the sacrificial lamb for this test. With Macgill and Watson in the squad, they appear to have shown their hands for their preferred replacements.

Golfgirl
31st December 2004, 08:15 PM
BTW I'm calling this one a draw early.

:roll: Here we go again..... :lol: :wink:

[note to Andy, this was also sarcasm.... :lol: ]

AndyP
1st January 2005, 01:40 PM
BTW I'm calling this one a draw early.

:roll: Here we go again..... :lol: :wink:
It's sarcasm, you fools. :roll:
I just thought I would beat one of the idiots to it.

interesting to hear talk that Lehman might be the sacrificial lamb for this test. With Macgill and Watson in the squad, they appear to have shown their hands for their preferred replacements.
You forgot to mention that Kaspa would have to go too. Which would be pretty stupid in my opinion.

drunken
1st January 2005, 04:19 PM
Good to see magilla the gorilla in the team for this one :D

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11822664-23212,00.html

Jarro
1st January 2005, 04:21 PM
well there it is .... The Dill and Watson have been named in the starting 11 ... with Kaspa and Boof the unlucky pawns :roll:

I just hope Macgill bowls well and takes wickets.

markTHEblake
1st January 2005, 05:09 PM
fairly unusual to name the 12th man this early. Usually the final selection is only announcd when the team sheets are handed in just before the toss

AndyP
1st January 2005, 05:46 PM
I just hope Macgill bowls well and takes wickets.
I hope he does nothing and never plays for Australia again. 8)

AndyP
1st January 2005, 08:43 PM
Does this also mean that McGrath will bat at number 10? \:D/

davidp
1st January 2005, 10:10 PM
Does this also mean that McGrath will bat at number 10? \:D/

You can bet Pigeon will be in Punter's ear to be pushing him up the order... :D

Golfgirl
2nd January 2005, 01:14 PM
You can bet Pigeon will be in Punter's ear to be pushing him up the order...

And rightly so..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

drunken
2nd January 2005, 04:41 PM
well to those knockers of my man stuey (AP you know who you are) :smt098

After a shocker of a start he's really shown what he's made of :D

damoocow
2nd January 2005, 08:52 PM
drunken wrote-

well to those knockers of my man stuey (AP you know who you are)

After a shocker of a start he's really shown what he's made of

yep he sure has duncan !! - bowling to the worst cricketing nation [apart from Bangladesh] - he got some wickets to some terrible batting displays and was very expensive in the process - he is a champ alright.

damoocow

markTHEblake
2nd January 2005, 08:57 PM
So what does that make of Shane Warne then?

damoocow
2nd January 2005, 09:19 PM
Shane who ? -
oh you mean the guy wearing the tenpin bowling shoes ? -
gee he is good too.
damoocow

McMw
3rd January 2005, 12:50 AM
is this (hopefully) the end of Lehman's test career???

davidp
3rd January 2005, 08:09 AM
I think Lehmann will be a marginal selection for the Ashes tour right now. The selectors, in choosing Watson, are showing that they're already thinking of the future. My tip for the Ashes touring party is:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
McGrath
Lee
Watson
Hodge
Tait
Hauritz
Haddin

No Lehmann. He's got the quiet word from Trevor Hohns I think...

Onewood
3rd January 2005, 09:17 AM

Hear hear he the best spinner in the team by far :D he can turn it a mile and on the first day 8) what a champion......

Golfgirl
3rd January 2005, 09:55 AM
Shane who ? -
oh you mean the guy wearing the tenpin bowling shoes ? -
gee he is good too.
damoocow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
3rd January 2005, 04:48 PM
Aussies finish day 2 at 4/340 .... great knock by Ponting 8) man he was due though.

Pakis look a little wanting in the bowling department, with Kaneria being the only real threat at the moment.

AndyP
3rd January 2005, 05:10 PM

Hear hear he the best spinner in the team by far :D he can turn it a mile and on the first day 8) what a champion......
3 wickets with trash balls.
The other two were great balls.
Spinning it a long way does not mean you are a good spinner.
Stop looking at the statistics in the paper, and actually watch the cricket. He bowls sh*t.

drunken
3rd January 2005, 06:02 PM
the whole point is how often does he get wickets with crap balls as u say??? A hell of a lot. Because of the way dips n spins the ball when they play across the line & against the spin its almost impossible for them to not sky it.

AndyP
3rd January 2005, 06:46 PM
the whole point is how often does he get wickets with crap balls as u say??? A hell of a lot. Because of the way dips n spins the ball when they play across the line & against the spin its almost impossible for them to not sky it.
And the full toss?

McMw
4th January 2005, 01:35 AM
impressive to note that over 600 runs were scored in 2 innings in 2 days by opposing teams...

well...whether it's impressive to you or not...sure is a rarity (to me) in the past few years...

terryand
4th January 2005, 07:12 AM
impressive to note that over 600 runs were scored in 2 innings in 2 days by opposing teams...

well...whether it's impressive to you or not...sure is a rarity (to me) in the past few years...

The Aussies always seem to be able to score at that rate, but it rare to see other teams do it.

I see the south africans only scores 247 on ther first day.

Terry.

3oneday
4th January 2005, 07:36 AM
Currently consistent rain in Sydney, looking unlikely for any play today...

Weatherman Pete

Golfgirl
4th January 2005, 08:51 AM
with Kaneria being the only real threat at the moment.

Yes, he's bowling well... but I bet his hip pocket is stinging a little after being fined his match fee..... :wink:

Bruce
4th January 2005, 08:52 AM

The Aussies always seem to be able to score at that rate, but it rare to see other teams do it.

Terry.

Did you see what England were bowling at them though? they had a 3-6 field with Giles bowling 2 feet outside leg stump. Then to Kallis last night they were 2 feet outside off stump with a 7-2 field. Very negative cricket and makes me think they are still at least 2 rungs below the Aussies.

Jarro
4th January 2005, 09:19 AM
Did you see what England were bowling at them though? they had a 3-6 field with Giles bowling 2 feet outside leg stump. Then to Kallis last night they were 2 feet outside off stump with a 7-2 field. Very negative cricket and makes me think they are still at least 2 rungs below the Aussies.

agree totally Bruce.

I watched it last night on Foxtel and was generally unimpressed with the Poms tactics and ability :roll:

I'd even go as far as to saythat the Aussies are watching what is going on in S.A and are licking their lips at the thought of kicking th Poms butts 8)

terryand
4th January 2005, 09:31 AM

Terry.

Unfortunetly I don't have Fox, so didn't know the tactics being used.

That being said when sides bowl like that to the Aussies they still seem to find away to score 300 a day.

Terry.

Jarro
4th January 2005, 10:21 AM
Tezza,

.. if Harmison bowls the same shit that he bowled at kallis, to ponting and Co., the Aussies will make 1000 :shock: Consistently bowled short stuff :roll:

Bruce
4th January 2005, 10:23 AM

Terry.

Unfortunetly I don't have Fox, so didn't know the tactics being used.

That being said when sides bowl like that to the Aussies they still seem to find away to score 300 a day.

Terry.

Exactly so. At least the poms have a Plan B (shut the game down) but that is unlikely to work . Giles is the new millenium model of Phil Tuffnel and we remember how well he fared against the early version of this all conquering team. Harmison and Strauss go alright though.

Jarro
4th January 2005, 07:42 PM
awesome knocks from Gilly and Punter.

Onewood
4th January 2005, 07:55 PM
awesome knocks from Gilly and Punter.

And that first ball by MacGill :D

Ducky
4th January 2005, 08:08 PM
I really enjoyed watching Adam Gilchrist bat.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/images/smilies/animated/clapping.gif

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Golfgirl
5th January 2005, 01:17 PM
How good was Gilly with the bat yesterday.... never seen anything like it in Test cricket.... :shock:

And a double century by Ponting should shut the commentators up for a while... :D

Looks like we'll have this one sown up too.... 8)

Bruce
5th January 2005, 01:27 PM
Some fight being shown by the Pakis! The Aussies will almost certainly have to bat again which is a better result than looked likely at the start of the day.

But as I type this - Afridi is run out.

I can't remember a series with as many run outs as this one. Just add it to Bob Woolmer's 10ft list of things to work on to become a competitive test side. Did these guys ever have someone teach them the basics of cricket in U/10s?

And before I got to the submit button, another wicket. Maybe the Aussies won't need to bat again. 4 wickets left and 23 runs to go.

Golfgirl
5th January 2005, 01:39 PM
And before I got to the submit button, another wicket. Maybe the Aussies won't need to bat again. 4 wickets left and 23 runs to go.

bugger!!! :evil: It hasn't been televised here yet, and it may not be at this rate... and I can't quite get Win tuned in.... aaaahhhh!! :evil:

AndyP
5th January 2005, 01:41 PM

bugger!!! :evil: It hasn't been televised here yet, and it may not be at this rate... and I can't quite get Win tuned in.... aaaahhhh!! :evil:
It will be televised, but you'll probably end up seeing a replay of the 2nd session. (This happened in Brisbane recently)

Jarro
5th January 2005, 01:43 PM
good to see the Paki tail-enders have a bit of a lash :wink:

at least it'll give Akhtar a chance to knock a few Aussie heads with some short stuff 8)

McMw
5th January 2005, 02:47 PM
13 test centuries from a keeper....and ppl say he doesn't deserve a spot in the team when he came in... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyP
5th January 2005, 02:54 PM
13 test centuries from a keeper....and ppl say he doesn't deserve a spot in the team when he came in... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Someone who obviously isn't a fan of Gillys, came up with the stat that only one of his centuries has been scored when no other player has scored a century in the innings.

Jarro
5th January 2005, 04:21 PM
a 491 run win in the first test.

9 wicket win in the second test

9 wicket win in the third test.

.. i'd say that's a pretty comprehensive flogging for the poor old Pakis :roll:

BRING ON THE POMS :!:

AndyP
5th January 2005, 06:04 PM
BRING ON THE POMS :!:
The Kiwis are next, jarro. :smt045

Man of the match to MacGill for getting 7 wickets. :shock:
If a double century doesn't get a MOM, I don't know what does. :?
Good speech by the Gorilla though. :smt023

A deserved Man of the Series to Martyn. How many of these has he got lately? (v Pak, v Ind, v SL?)

Jarro
5th January 2005, 06:16 PM

yeah i know they're next, but everyone isn't saying the kiwis are a chance of rolling us :roll:

Pommies are getting pretty cocky and talking up their chances of bringing the Aussies Ashes campaign undone :x

AndyP
5th January 2005, 06:24 PM

yeah i know they're next, but everyone isn't saying the kiwis are a chance of rolling us :roll:

Pommies are getting pretty cocky and talking up their chances of bringing the Aussies Ashes campaign undone :x
They are making the mistake of getting ahead of themselves too. They are in a bit of trouble against the South Africans at the moment.
How well is Kallis going? :shock:

I'm confused. Channel nine gave man of the match to MacGill, but I have since seen two reports that have said Ponting got MoM. :?
edit: Checked baggygreen website, it says MacGill.

Onewood
5th January 2005, 06:34 PM
Don't be confused AP IT was the MIGHTY BLUES SPINNER that got MOM :D and the only choice that could have been made 8) don't think there was any other outstanding performances :wink:

AndyP
5th January 2005, 07:46 PM
MIGHTY BLUES SPINNER
You guys are just obsessed with turning the Australian Test side into a state of origin contest. :smt011

Ducky
5th January 2005, 08:00 PM
GO THE BLUES!

:lol:

terryand
5th January 2005, 08:03 PM
GO THE BLUES!

Oh crap Ducky, are you going to make me dig up the Pura and ING cup ladders are you.

Terry.

Jarro
5th January 2005, 08:06 PM
GO THE BLUES!

Oh crap Ducky, are you going to make me dig up the Pura and ING cup ladders are you.

Terry.

took the words right outta my mouth Tezza 8)

Ducky
5th January 2005, 10:40 PM
GO THE BLUES!

Terry.
If you don't mind.

:)

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Onewood
5th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Easy fishing isnt it Ducky :lol: :lol:

terryand
6th January 2005, 07:19 AM
Easy fishing isnt it Ducky :lol: :lol:

THe fishing is easy Juan,cause the view from the top looks pretty dam good :wink:

Terry.

Jarro
6th January 2005, 07:26 AM
Match 20 of 30 P W L NR T BP Points NRR For Against
Queensland 7 6 1 - - 6 30 +1.356 1718 / 297 1550 / 350
Victoria 7 4 3 - - 2 18 +0.477 1543 / 300.5 1484 / 319
Tasmania 7 4 3 - - 2 18 -0.263 1688 / 348.1 1657 / 324.1
Western Australia 6 3 3 - - - 12 -0.247 1392 / 269 1453 / 268
New South Wales 6 2 4 - - - 8 :cry: -0.098 1356 / 289 1370 / 286
South Australia 7 1 6 - - - 4 -1.240 1457 / 340 1640 / 296.5

Match 15 of 30 P WO WI D LI LO T Points Quotient For Against
Queensland 5 3 1 - - 1 - 22.0 1.025 2617 / 81 2901 / 92
New South Wales 5 3 1 - - 1 - 20.0 1.770 2183 / 62 1949 / 98
Western Australia 5 3 - - 1 1 - 18.0 1.072 2624 / 80 2417 / 79
Victoria 5 2 - - - 3 - 12.0 0.864 2601 / 96 2570 / 82
Tasmania 5 1 - - 1 3 - 6.0 0.812 2684 / 99 2503 / 75
South Australia 5 1 - - - 4 - 6.0 0.786 2217 / 96 2586 / 88

ING and Pura Cup ladders as they stand at the moment :wink:

Onewood
6th January 2005, 07:34 AM
:lol: :lol: there BIG FISH as well :lol: :lol:

Jarro
6th January 2005, 07:53 AM
:lol: :lol: there BIG FISH as well :lol: :lol:

good onya :wink: :lol:

AndyP
6th January 2005, 08:42 AM
I think "at the moment" are the key words. :razz:
Only half way through the season.

Jarro
6th January 2005, 09:25 AM
I think "at the moment" are the key words. :razz:
Only half way through the season.

true PeeDiddy, QLD still have a chance to bolt even further ahead as the rest of the season progresses :D