PDA

View Full Version : Re-spraying driver head

dhills2
27th April 2009, 04:02 PM
Can anyone give me some tips on re-spraying a driver head? Looking at buying a SMT spectrum which has been stripped & will probably want to re-spray the crown if I can figure out how.

Alternatively, can I just leave it stripped & do certain things to maintain the head?

The reality of the situation is the guy is asking $80 for it & I will probably buy it, flog it at the range a few times & throw it in the garage! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance.

oobsadd2
27th April 2009, 04:39 PM
Im in the same boat, Ive just picked up a driver head that id be too embarassed to use as it is. Impossible to sell, so I thought a custom paint job. Maybe the thread could be called "Pimp my Driver" :)

Grunt
27th April 2009, 05:27 PM
Easy as, have done it a few times now. Also for colour matching go to you nearest Auto parts place and just take the club with you. They may look at you funny at first but they will do it and put it in a spray can to you to use.

Jarro
27th April 2009, 06:07 PM
What about something like a nice purple finish ?

Sure to turn heads on the tee box ;)

Grunt
27th April 2009, 06:08 PM
The purple monster is back in the bag too.

dhills2
27th April 2009, 08:00 PM
Might buy a spraypainter a carton to do it for me... seems to be the safest option. Colour... hmm... perhaps a nice teal or poo brown.

markTHEblake
27th April 2009, 10:55 PM
Poo Brown is a bit traditional, do you think we could get the grain lines in it too?

I am thinking that a Vision UV Green would be the ducks guts, or perhaps a Ferrari Red

oobsadd2
28th April 2009, 07:43 AM
I was actually thinking bout getting the paint brushes out and creating something spechal. Maybe some optical blending of colour in the manner of Cossington-Smith or perhaps a self portait.

Courty
28th April 2009, 05:00 PM
How about a Mona Lisa smiling up at you from the crown?

oobsadd2
28th April 2009, 05:15 PM

except with a look of terror not a smirk. :)

grandmasterb
28th April 2009, 07:09 PM

I've airbrushed a couple of drivers for people with pics.

One bloke made me do a pic of Oprah HAHAHA

Courty
29th April 2009, 06:02 AM
One bloke made me do a pic of Oprah HAHAHA

WTF! :shock:

Dotty
29th April 2009, 06:39 AM
I gather he alternates between hitting it fat and hitting it thin.

oobsadd2
29th April 2009, 08:14 AM
Hey Grand Master, did you finish with a clear over your artwork? What kind of paint did you use? Im starting to get keen :)

grandmasterb
30th April 2009, 08:32 AM
Hey Grand Master, did you finish with a clear over your artwork? What kind of paint did you use? Im starting to get keen :)

Always finish with a clear but it depends if i've done a brushed piece or straight colour.

If its a straight colour then i will slowly add more clear in with the base colour in the final 4-5 coats gradually building up thicker.

If its a brushed piece then i clear after i've finished the artwork.

Paint wise it depends on the individual and the budget they have but you can get away with using acrylic automotive paint (can get them in pressure packs as well to make things quicker) just make sure that you prep the head correctly and dont rush.