PDA

View Full Version : The I Hate Projectx shafts thread

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 07:28 PM
Got my hands on a set of Ap2's with the ol' projy x's in em.. did a NOOOOOIIIIICE deal with a fellow club member for my Tour preferred TM's (dunno why - didn't like em, but that's another story).

And now. two sets of these later, I am happy to stand by the following comment:

"Project X shafts are the most over rated under performing piece of shit attached to a grip and head I have ever used"

please get a 0.22 out and lob one up my arse if I ever use these poor excuses for a mop handle again..:smt076

3oneday
26th April 2009, 07:30 PM
Dunno, they seem to work for the Pros ?

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 07:35 PM
Most pro's I know still seem quite happy with the DGX100, unless they stand on the other side of the ball play 2 drivers and have their caddy carry a callaway staff bag....

Webster
26th April 2009, 07:48 PM
PX are a nice shaft. Perhaps you are just not worthy.

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 07:55 PM
Im not good enough for sure...One thing about em tho.. they're consistant.. first set was shite and the second set's (lack of) feel was the same....not heavy enough I reckon.....

Scottt
26th April 2009, 07:57 PM
Aren't they 110g+?

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 08:00 PM
DGS are 127g, DGX I think are 130g.

Hux
26th April 2009, 08:09 PM
Horses for course.

You must feel very sensitive to shafting :-)

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 08:19 PM
They are over rated pieces of shite, pure and simple...The rifle/rifle flighted was a far better shaft...the proj x is simply marketing rubbish. they are a truly shite shaft..Im trying to get a modern head like the AP2 to behave as I would like, and the shaft just ruins it...

Webster
26th April 2009, 08:27 PM
just because you stink doesn't mean its the shafts fault. these are a good players shaft which you clearly aren't. try something else.

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 08:58 PM
just because you stink doesn't mean its the shafts fault. these are a good players shaft which you clearly aren't. try something else.

Could you give me some tips on how to use them?

Scottt
26th April 2009, 08:59 PM
What specifically don't you like about it, Uber?

A lot of guys are using the PXs on tour. Sergio among them. Decent ballstriker, him...

rick3003
26th April 2009, 08:59 PM
Im with you U8. Most demanding boardy shaft I have hit. Cant work the ball at all, these shaft only want to go right to left.

Cant wait to reshaft my 60's with DG's.

Johnny Canuck
26th April 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm the opposite. I think DG are shit. I sold a set of irons with DGs in them because I couldn't get any consistency out of them.

Rifles are quality.

PXs are even better.

Maybe you should switch to graphite.

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 09:13 PM
I really did like the rifle flighted 6.O, a great shaft.. Proj X 6.0.. dead set A grade DUD!! boardy as, it won't go right or left, just wants to float up in the air and then drop like a bit of a dead duck..

I like the ball to still be spinning a bit when it starts to drop..

zigwah
26th April 2009, 09:19 PM
I like em even if the ones i have are too strong for me.

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 09:24 PM
What specifically don't you like about it, Uber?

A lot of guys are using the PXs on tour. Sergio among them. Decent ballstriker, him...

Serg is the ultimate float loader type (I know a TGM shit descriptor) but maybe the shaft works best for that load type. Philly Mickleson loaded it up a simliar way prior to changing coaches, from Rick Reilly to Butch H..

Its probably a good shaft for some but not others...me included. I'm sure it works best as you maintain/have an increase in (some sort of) lag, but with a rotating/casting type swing, they don't seem to perform.

TheNuclearOne
26th April 2009, 09:26 PM
I wonder if you used too hard a flex. The big rule for Project X is that they play damn stiff.

Hux
26th April 2009, 09:26 PM
Well just cause they don't suit your swing doesn't mean they are shite for everyone does it?

Could it be that the 6.0's are too stiff for you - did you try 5.5's?

My 6.0's are soft stepped once and are nice. The club fitters told me that they tested out as being very stiff (FCM is 7.3)

u8ergolfer
26th April 2009, 09:30 PM
Well just cause they don't suit your swing doesn't mean they are shite for everyone does it?

Could it be that the 6.0's are too stiff for you - did you try 5.5's?

My 6.0's are soft stepped once and are nice. The club fitters told me that they tested out as being very stiff (FCM is 7.3)

6.0 to 7.3????? big difference..

Jontea
26th April 2009, 09:46 PM
The 6.0 PX shaft is more like 120+ grams and does play abit stiffer than 6.0 Rifles. So if you soft stepped the 6.0 PX by two shafts then you would get the correct result for your specs. Don't throw them in the bin just yet, try my suggestion first and go to see a fitter/club maker ? It might cost you $100/150 to get the right balance, even if you had one club done as a demo to prove it to yourself first. My suggestion would be to put the 3ir shaft into the 5ir, swingweight and cut to length.

goonie
26th April 2009, 10:54 PM
PX's are not the shaft for me either, I think I need a higher spinning shaft and the PX's are a low spin shaft.

markTHEblake
26th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Got my hands on a set of Ap2's with the ol' projy x's in em..

so you got yourself a set of clubs from another person, and you thought that they would suit you(and because they didnt, then they must be junk)

that would be like me borrowing Jacks suit and thinking that I would look as good in it as he does.

Tomson
27th April 2009, 08:56 AM
Have you tried KBS tours? Same guy designed both. Maybe they would suit you more.

virge666
27th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Got my hands on a set of Ap2's with the ol' projy x's in em.. did a NOOOOOIIIIICE deal with a fellow club member for my Tour preferred TM's (dunno why - didn't like em, but that's another story).
:smt076

Your a RSS - there is not 1 not 1 single RSS player I know who like Proj X.

The RSS is a shallow angle of attack, we like a softer tip and some spin on the ball - otherwise the ball never gets in the air and "on plane"

Heavy shafts and softer tips. KBS tour are the ducks guts... you can also get by with proj flighted - but the shorter irons will piss you off.

schanop
27th April 2009, 04:07 PM
What is RSS?

Jarro
27th April 2009, 04:10 PM
RightSidedSwinger

schanop
27th April 2009, 04:13 PM
Aha moment, Thank Jarro.

Hux
27th April 2009, 04:17 PM
What is RSS?

rss = you pulling it out of your arss trying to get the ball in the air :mrgreen:

virge666
27th April 2009, 04:27 PM
rss = you pulling it out of your arss trying to get the ball in the air :mrgreen:

Yep - that is pretty much it.. :)

Stack and Tilt are in the same boat.

u8ergolfer
27th April 2009, 04:32 PM

The RSS is a shallow angle of attack, we like a softer tip and some spin on the ball - otherwise the ball never gets in the air and "on plane"

Heavy shafts and softer tips. KBS tour are the ducks guts... you can also get by with proj flighted - but the shorter irons will piss you off.

Thats the "dropping like a dead duck" thing with 'em too.. my attempts with em were just that..might try those black golds' in em tomorrow, they were destined for something else but a detour in what they were to go into may be the go now..

zigwah
27th April 2009, 04:35 PM
have no trouble what so ever getting these shafts in the air, and they are apparently close to 7.0's, but i'm going to soft step and try and get a little more distance.

And am finding that since i have stopped trying to swing steeper and then flatter and then finally understanding swinging flatter with my shoulders, i can get these shafts to do just about anything i want them to.

goonie
27th April 2009, 04:39 PM

I may be in this boat too, I only take small shallow divots which would lead me to think I have a shallow attack angle. I have just tried PXs in my spare set and they are not for me, my DG shafted clubs go much better, but some times the long irons don't carry like they should and I am thinking I am not producing enough spin with the DGS in the longer clubs.

What other shafts would you recommend? can I reshaft the longer clubs with higher spin shafts? and does this carry over to wood shafts as well?

Johnny Canuck
27th April 2009, 05:53 PM
Thats the "dropping like a dead duck" thing with 'em too.. my attempts with em were just that..might try those black golds' in em tomorrow, they were destined for something else but a detour in what they were to go into may be the go now..

So because you can handle these shafts with your swing style they are overrated pieces of crap?

I'll bet your one of those golfers that always blames his equipment when he fails.

just
27th April 2009, 06:03 PM
Personally I always blame the course when I fail, I find it therapuetic!

PeteyD
27th April 2009, 06:08 PM
It is always the big balls fault. I lurve PX shafts. KBS Tours are betterer though.

Jarro
27th April 2009, 06:09 PM
I really can't comment as i've never had a set of irons with the PX shafts installed :(

I'd like to try them one day though.

zigwah
27th April 2009, 06:10 PM

And now. two sets of these later, I am happy to stand by the following comment:

"Project X shafts are the most over rated under performing piece of shit attached to a grip and head I have ever used"

please get a 0.22 out and lob one up my arse if I ever use these poor excuses for a mop handle again..:smt076

you should post those pieces of shite directly to me and i will destroy them under amnesty

rebjon
27th April 2009, 06:16 PM
you should post those pieces of shite directly to me and i will destroy them under amnesty

Better yet throw them one the classifieds for free....

Iain
27th April 2009, 07:02 PM
I really can't comment as i've never had a set of irons with the PX shafts installed :(

I'd like to try them one day though.

They're very nice...

u8ergolfer
27th April 2009, 07:26 PM
When they come out in the next day or two they'll be duly listed at the same price as the last set of em I sold + plus postage...I will even leave the grips on em..

Scottt
27th April 2009, 07:34 PM
When they come out in the next day or two they'll be duly listed at the same price as the last set of em I sold + plus postage...I will even leave the grips on em..

Slow learner?

BrisVegas
27th April 2009, 08:36 PM
...my DG shafted clubs go much better, but some times the long irons don't carry like they should and I am thinking I am not producing enough spin with the DGS in the longer clubs.

What other shafts would you recommend?

DG Superlites?

Johnny Canuck
27th April 2009, 08:58 PM
Slow learner?
:smt038:smt038:smt038

u8ergolfer
27th April 2009, 09:19 PM
I was hoping to get out of C grade with this better gear...

Johnny Canuck
27th April 2009, 10:39 PM
I was hoping to get out of C grade with this better gear...

Things are so much clearer now.

Scottt
27th April 2009, 10:43 PM
I think he is taking the piss. He has previously mentioned shooting mid-70s with regularity.

Johnny Canuck
27th April 2009, 10:59 PM
I think he is taking the piss. He has previously mentioned shooting mid-70s with regularity.

I was wondering. I thought that there is no way that someone in c-grade should be working the ball left and right. They do it enough un-intentionally on their own.

Scottt
27th April 2009, 11:14 PM
:lol: Love that draw bias!

virge666
28th April 2009, 11:18 AM

LOL, I was waiting for someone to take that bait.

Captain Nemo
28th April 2009, 11:39 AM
I have them in my X-20 Tour's after going to the Callaway fitting centre, gave me the best flight, spin rate, distance, dispersion etc..
Shot 4 over on the weekend, going alright!
I must admit they took a while to get used to, as i had D.G Superlites in my 762's?
I hit the superlite further, but have better control with the PX Flighted, most likely due to the heavier shaft i suspect.

BrisVegas
28th April 2009, 12:43 PM
I have them in my X-20 Tour's .... i had D.G Superlites in my 762's?

I'm sorry, you changed from 762's to X-20's!! and you call yourself titleist.... :lol:

Boonie
28th April 2009, 01:02 PM
DG S300's all the way for me.

Clearly the Project X are good shafts, because a lot of good players use them, but personally I'm in the 'can't stand them' camp.

Chris32
28th April 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't like the new ones, but the original satin shafts have always played easier/better than the chrome version.

I have some 5.0 satins to try over the next few months

Captain Nemo
28th April 2009, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry, you changed from 762's to X-20's!! and you call yourself titleist.... :lol:
I know!
The 762's where one of the most underatted Titty irons in my opinion.
I think i was going thru a phase, I'm happy with the x-20's though.

PeteyD
28th April 2009, 08:36 PM
I don't like the new ones, but the original satin shafts have always played easier/better than the chrome version.

I have some 5.0 satins to try over the next few months

They are supposed to be the same. I agree that the satin ones seemed to be easier to play, and felt better.

u8ergolfer
28th April 2009, 08:52 PM
SOFT stepping a set of black golds after installing a couple in the 5 iron and 8 iron today...What a difference...The ol' Penfold Ace wants to jump off the face now...

BTW frequency read the set of black golds and they are extremely well matched, however, they displayed a big spine in a few.. displayed some BIG Numbers too..FREQ 3i = 340, cycled up by around 9 from there give or take 1 cycle, all shafts uncut of course..

Much, much better shaft..