PDA

View Full Version : A right hander putting left handed

acem8
26th April 2009, 03:20 PM
My putting is going from bad to worse :cry: While messing around on the putting green yesterday I started putting with the back of the putter left handed - with surprisingly good results! I put left hand below right anyway and I read once that the best left handed batsmen doing everything else right handed but they bat well left handed because their right eye is more dominant than the left. Maybe the same applies to putting?

I remember there was a tour pro around a few years (or decades) back who used to alternate between left and right handed putting with a bullseye putter.

I think I'll build up a cheap left handed putter and see how it goes!

Courty
26th April 2009, 05:11 PM
There is a low marker at my home club who hits the ball right-handed but putts lefty. He is an ex-baseballer who is also ambidextrous.

Eag's
26th April 2009, 06:46 PM
I am right handed but putted left handed for about 6 months back in 2007.
My average dropped from 33 putts a round down to 30 8-) but didn't stick with it after that. I will add though I also played the whole game left handed back in the 90's. Lasted 2 years before I came to my senses ;)

razaar
26th April 2009, 08:07 PM
you can always follow Nota Begay's lead and putt right to left breakers right handed and left to right breakers left handed. Of course you will need a double faced putter similar to a bullseye.:)

Mayhem
26th April 2009, 08:38 PM
I am right handed but putted left handed for about 6 months back in 2007.
My average dropped from 33 putts a round down to 30 8-) but didn't stick with it after that. I will add though I also played the whole game left handed back in the 90's. Lasted 2 years before I came to my senses ;)

How the hell did you play the whole game lefty? Are you ambidexterous or what??

You could win some sweet cash betting with that trick of yours. I would back myself to beat you on a hole if switched to swing lefty. Bring out the competitive spirit in me. :D

Matt 3 Jab
26th April 2009, 09:00 PM
been there, it was good for short putts, didnt get the distance right on the longer ones.

Try and see what happens

Eag's
26th April 2009, 09:50 PM
How the hell did you play the whole game lefty? Are you ambidexterous or what??

You could win some sweet cash betting with that trick of yours. I would back myself to beat you on a hole if switched to swing lefty. Bring out the competitive spirit in me. :D

Yes I did win some cash of a few mates back then ;)
I play cricket and baseball left handed and kick left footed but play golf and throw right handed :lol:

markTHEblake
26th April 2009, 11:17 PM
I remember there was a tour pro around a few years (or decades) back who used to alternate between left and right handed putting with a bullseye putter.

Jeff Wagner who played in the 90's and 00's did that, or at least he did when i saw him play. Right handed for long putts and left handed for short ones, he had a ponytail as well, so he kinda stuck out.

He is the pro at St Michaels now.

jimandr
26th April 2009, 11:22 PM
Blaine McAllister used to do it on the PGA Tour, with some success.

There's a guy at my club who does it for putts under about 10 feet. He admits that all he is trying to do from short distance is get down in two. It is painful to watch, and I wonder why he plays at all, but he seems to enjoy his golf anyway.

punchtheballout
27th April 2009, 03:41 AM
i believe what matters most is which side you use that you are comfortable on......right? and performance will follow

ParMaster
27th April 2009, 09:45 AM
Played with a fellow yesterday at my home club and he putted right handed for most putts but for putts within 3 feet he putted left handed.

He used a ping anser putter so he had to play it right off his front foot so not scoop it up. lol

Anyone else do this?

He said it cures the yips. WTH is that?

Russell
27th April 2009, 10:02 AM
have a friend at our club who is painful to watch while putting,had the yipps really bad.decided to buy a double sided putter and put left handed.
The improvement is remarkable

acem8
27th April 2009, 10:13 AM
I ordered a load of bits last night and there was a left hand putter head going cheap so I'm going to give it a try, it certainly feels more natural. My distance control is crap on long putts anyway, that's why it feels like I'm missing so many 6 footers. You never know, there may be a few RH putters for sale soon!

grandmasterb
28th April 2009, 07:18 PM
I've been ambidextrous for as long as i can remember. It comes in handy when you find yourself in a situation where you cant swing normally (bloody trees, who would put them on a golf course)

I was playing with a bloke one day (he was a lefty) and i asked if i could hit a ball with his driver, think it shocked him when he saw the result :mrgreen:

I still putt left handed from time to time and find that i read break better and getting a better roll when doing so.

pt73
28th April 2009, 08:18 PM
Notah Begay III did too, he won a few PGA Tour tournaments.