PDA

View Full Version : lazy prick members and pug marks!!!

simmsy
25th April 2009, 03:01 PM
The course i am a member at has always had pretty good greens, they recently went through and cored them (as have many courses) since they have come back to good condition it seems as though a large number of the members have figured that the "pug fairies" will come and fix up their pug marks!!

This really sh!ts me!:smt093:smt093:smt093

I was bought up to always fix your own and atleast one other on every green and do that religiously.
Does anyone have these same issues with lazy members and what does your club do to educate their members about the importance of repairing pug marks?

simmsy..

Andrew
25th April 2009, 03:06 PM
A lot of clubs suffer the same problem, mate. One solution is for the superintendent to not let the greens get too soft. 90% of courses in Australia have greens that are too soft.

Of course, if both happened (golfers repairing their pitch marks & greens being firmer) how good would the greens be then.

PeteyD
25th April 2009, 03:43 PM
what is a soft green?

Andrew
25th April 2009, 03:53 PM
what is a soft green?

It's easier to explain a firm green. On a firm green only the well struck shots will stop.

With our reasonably warm climate in Australia, many superintendents are scared about losing greens in summer, especially when clubs are unable to afford the number of greens staff as they would like.

PeteyD
25th April 2009, 03:55 PM
Most greens up here are fairly hard.

Andrew
25th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Most greens up here are fairly hard.

Most of the greens up your way are probably Bermuda grass, so they have a 'thatch' layer to stop too many pitch marks. (or at least I hope it stops the pitch marks)

PeteyD
25th April 2009, 04:03 PM
Ah that would explain it. Not many pitch marks unless it has just rained etc. Can make it hard to pull the ball up.

Sasquatch
25th April 2009, 04:25 PM
PeteyD try & play at Tamborine Mountain sometime. Nice & soft bent grass greens. I played there last Sunday & they were soft but fast. Also played there at Christmas time & they were excellent then as well.

PeteyD
25th April 2009, 04:26 PM
Yea I know the bent greens are a lot softer (Toowoomba, City, Glades). Just saying most of our greens are pretty hard.

LarryLong
25th April 2009, 04:58 PM
Played at Port Fairy on Friday, a course that seems to be one of those country tracks where mostly members play. Was surprised at the number of pitch marks on the greens. I fixed quite a few, and I think I only created one of my own for the whole day.

perci
25th April 2009, 06:00 PM
I agree some members are piss poor not repairing their pitch marks but that doesn't bother me near as much as the arrogant pricks that don't rake bunkers in comps!

schanop
25th April 2009, 07:18 PM
Now that Autumn has arrived, I start to notice that greens at Yowani is becoming harder and faster again as well as having much fewer noticable unrepaired pitch marks.

simmsy
25th April 2009, 10:39 PM
I agree some members are piss poor not repairing their pitch marks but that doesn't bother me near as much as the arrogant pricks that don't rake bunkers in comps!

ooohhhhh.....dont get me started on the pricks that cant be bothered raking their bunkers!!!

What do these guys think there achieving? just spend 30seconds cleaning up your own sh!t for christ sake.

PeteyD
26th April 2009, 05:29 AM
I dunno. Bunkers are supposed to be penal. Maybe no one should rake them?

But it is terribly lazy not to the way they are played at the moment.

Andrew
26th April 2009, 06:44 AM
I’m always disappointed when I see unrepaired pitch marks, unraked bunkers & unfilled divots at private/members courses because it’s the members’ course & they should have a sense of ownership & pride in their course. I can understand when I see these things at a public or resort course (not that it excuses it) because the players don’t have that sense of it being their course, but members who don’t care for their course amaze me. It shows disrespect for their course, the institution of their club & most of all, the other members.

I have heard of a club in America that suspends members who don’t adhere to their course care rules. I’m not sure how many suspensions have been handed out or whether it’s just a threat & although I don’t believe it to be the right method, it is interesting to see how different clubs handle these things.

Grunt
26th April 2009, 06:53 AM
Have to agree it is one of my pet hates, another is the fact more than 50% don't know how to fix a plug mark and actually do more damage when they do try than if they leave it for someone else.

razaar
27th April 2009, 06:13 AM
I’m always disappointed when I see unrepaired pitch marks, unraked bunkers & unfilled divots at private/members courses because it’s the members’ course & they should have a sense of ownership & pride in their course. I can understand when I see these things at a public or resort course (not that it excuses it) because the players don’t have that sense of it being their course, but members who don’t care for their course amaze me. It shows disrespect for their course, the institution of their club & most of all, the other members.

I have heard of a club in America that suspends members who don’t adhere to their course care rules. I’m not sure how many suspensions have been handed out or whether it’s just a threat & although I don’t believe it to be the right method, it is interesting to see how different clubs handle these things.
Many of the member courses in Brisbane rely on revenue generated from corporate events and social play to keep the club financially afloat. IMO course etiquette has been in decline since the 1980's, particularly at those clubs competing for the non-playing members' dollar. Members have come to accept the new order of things it seems.:(

zigwah
27th April 2009, 03:41 PM
Can't stand people not fixing pug marks, usually fix at least 20 every nine holes i play plus my own.

Mayhem
27th April 2009, 03:45 PM
So they should hey. In the perfect world people should always try to leave the course better than they found it. wear and tear is unavoidable but trying to rake a bunker nice and smooth and repairing marks on a green? Bare minimum I think.

Some choppers only allow 90 minutes for 9 holes over here. Hit balls past you down the fairway and I am sure they don't fix marks on greens.

Stupid public course traffic!!!!

Private courses should have much higher standards.

rebjon
27th April 2009, 05:17 PM
The course i am a member at has always had pretty good greens, they recently went through and cored them (as have many courses) since they have come back to good condition it seems as though a large number of the members have figured that the "pug fairies" will come and fix up their pug marks!!

This really sh!ts me!:smt093:smt093:smt093

I was bought up to always fix your own and atleast one other on every green and do that religiously.
Does anyone have these same issues with lazy members and what does your club do to educate their members about the importance of repairing pug marks?

simmsy..

Could it be the public players from Mon and Tuesday...

oobsadd2
27th April 2009, 08:11 PM
Whats a "pug mark" ?

Yossarian
27th April 2009, 08:45 PM
serious?

Andrew
27th April 2009, 09:12 PM
Whats a "pug mark" ?

The dent in the door when the doggy door is not working.

markTHEblake
27th April 2009, 09:52 PM
Yea I know the bent greens are a lot softer (Toowoomba, City, Glades). Just saying most of our greens are pretty hard.

Bent greens are not soft, its just that the ones we have in queensland are!

You would have enjoyed the beautiful firm blue couch greens that we all played on through the 80's, try stopping on those bastards when you hit one thin :-)

AndyP
27th April 2009, 09:57 PM
Whats a "pug mark" ?
'L's are overrated.

Scottt
27th April 2009, 10:41 PM
I know first hand that there is a course that has a couple of security cameras pointed at a few bunkers. If not raked the offender would be brought before the committee for a please explain.

Imagine the cost of setting up cameras to watch every bunker at a RW course :shock:

:lol:

just
28th April 2009, 06:31 AM
'L's are overrated.

There's a GFC happening, L's cost too much!

oobsadd2
28th April 2009, 06:47 AM
Spose pugged in the bunker is some sort of doggy style.

simmsy
28th April 2009, 03:44 PM
Could it be the public players from Mon and Tuesday...

Nah...wish it was that simple!
I often will head out there after work on any afternoon and honestly tuesdays(morning members), Wednesday(ladies day), Thursday(all day members) are all worse than a typical Monday. Hartfield doesn't get alot of Public Traffic some Mondays I have seen only 2or3 groups on the course.
Unfortuneatly it is lazy members that think that someone else will rake their bunker or repair their pug mark.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 04:31 PM
I never understood courses that try to profit on a standard metal pitch repairer. our course sells them for $3. they probably cost .25 cents. I would try and encourage people to repair the marks by even handing them out free.

LarryLong
28th April 2009, 05:01 PM
With you on that one JC. Surely it wouldn't cost courses much to have freebie pitch repairers? If nothing else, it would give the guy at the pro shop desk a chance to tell all players to use it (and how to use it if necessary).

zigwah
28th April 2009, 05:06 PM
I never understood courses that try to profit on a standard metal pitch repairer. our course sells them for $3. they probably cost .25 cents. I would try and encourage people to repair the marks by even handing them out free.

great idea

Or tie offenders to a green with a helmet and a box and have em sit there a few hours?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 05:12 PM
If I ever ran a pro shop it would be my one staple. Factor an extra .25 or .50 into the green fee if you have to cover costs.

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 05:38 PM
A few public courses do this, but some i have talked to have had problems with people taking WAY to many, stupid i know. But its still a good idea

simmsy
28th April 2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah great idea and surely it's not too hard just to hand one out with your score card instead of idiots thinking it's a bowl full of M&M's.

henno
28th April 2009, 07:06 PM
No clubs seem to have that problem with pencils, so what's the big deal with divot tools?

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 07:15 PM
good point simmsy, with the scorecard