PDA

View Full Version : Would The Worst Hole In Australia.......

Andrew
24th April 2009, 11:24 AM
.......stop you from joining as a member, or playing regularly, at a golf course?

Does one hole wreck a course?

I listed the 11th at The Coast as the worst hole in Australia, but there are quite a few reasonable holes at The Coast, & a few, if tweaked a little, that could be very good.

I would play (& even join if I lived closer) The Coast if its only shocker was the 11th. Unfortunately, #10 & #7 are shockers as well & 3 abhorred holes is just too many.

But, I have played courses with one absolutely absurd hole, which I can overlook, because the other 17 are all right.

sms316
24th April 2009, 11:37 AM
It makes me think about not renewing my membership every time I play #15 at Yowani. There are rumours about some potential changes that will be made if a new committee come in.

The 18th hole would become a par 5, with it basically being lengthened at both end. They are looking at making it so it would become 480m, but a 3 shotter, with all 3rd shots coming from 130m out. When one of the possible future committee members spoke to me about this, I questioned the logic. He told me that he didn't want the big hitters to go for the green in 2, as they might hit it over the back and into the clubhouse (some 30m beyond the green).

I told him that in my entire golf career, I can't remember once air mailing my second shot on a par 5. I would have thought that this would be far more likely by a high marker from 70m out.

If this design ever gets off the ground whilst I am still a member, I'll walk out immediately. All this because someone thinks having the 18th green in front of the clubhouse is a necessity.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4540/yow18.jpg

Hope the image makes sense. The design sure as hell doesn't.

Andrew
24th April 2009, 11:48 AM
That looks like a truly awful hole & as the 18th, to make matter worse.

There are a lot of great courses around the world that don't finish right in front of the clubhouse.

sms316
24th April 2009, 11:51 AM
I just hope that if this idea gets off the ground that they have the good sense to put it in front of the members. If so, a few renegade members might bring down an archi with an alternate view. Anybody recommend one?

Johnny Canuck
24th April 2009, 12:01 PM
So you have to be 130 out for the approach?

Traveling 350m in two shots on a par 5 is boring as anything. I'd be getting in deep sh*t everytime I played that hole due to boredom.

I reckon, you hit your tee shot about 200m on the left edge of the fairway and then try and fly the trees cutting the corner way before the corner.

That could possibly be the worst finishing hole in the country if it ever gets off the ground.

sms316
24th April 2009, 12:03 PM
Absolutely no chance of getting over those trees. Pretty narrow fairway, and tallish gum trees. Would be a real dog.

Andrew
24th April 2009, 12:08 PM
SMS,

It's only 220m off the tee to the first bowling green. I think that's your shot. From there it's a mere wedge to set up your eagle putt.

sms316
24th April 2009, 12:09 PM
SMS,

It's only 220m off the tee to the first bowling green. I think that's your shot. From there it's a mere wedge to set up your eagle putt.
Surely one of the committee has played Long Reef. They would support internal/aerial OOB.
:lol:

Jarro
24th April 2009, 12:32 PM
I'd join a nice course even if it had one dog of a hole.

One bad hole does not wreck a golfing experience for me.

virge666
24th April 2009, 12:42 PM
Our course at Bayview.... The 3rd, 4th, 10th 11th and 18th.

Shits me to tears everytime I play it. Often, I drive past Monash, or Long Reef or Mona Vale or Cromer on the way home and think WTF am I doing here.

Cabbra had a few holes that destroyed the experience for me. The Par 5's were all pretty ordinary.

Moe Norman
24th April 2009, 06:28 PM
My home course has 4 genuine turds, but I survive (just)

razaar
24th April 2009, 06:47 PM
There is an excuse for a badly designed hole - but there is no excuse for a badly maintained course. Some courses have a history of the latter and the members lie down and accept it. I know of one......

PeteyD
24th April 2009, 07:41 PM
Interesting. Courses I would never join - Oxley and McLeod. Courses I'd only join if I lived walking distance - Wynnum, Virginia.

markTHEblake
24th April 2009, 08:28 PM
.......stop you from joining as a member, or playing regularly, at a golf course?

No,
each club i have become a member of has had nothing to do with the course.
I even have joined two clubs without even seeing them first. I just walked in and said where do I sign.

ParMaster
24th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Andrew i just played at The Coast today and i told the member that i hope we wouldn'tbe playing off that tee on the 11th that makes it the 110 degree dogleft left.

We played it off the other tee which makes it a 340 metre par 4. Only like a 30 degree dogleft left and it's a half decent hole that way because you can choose how much corner to cut off. Apparantly you only play from that other tee on fridays which is precisely when they hold there open day. pffff

You hit across the 10th holes fairway.

And yes that 7th hole is a shocker...i played it (off the plates) and i hit a 3wd, 8 iron, gap wedge. 3 wood to play safe off the tee, realising im left about 220 out so i just hit an 8 irons to stay short of that narrow neck (?) section of the fw. What a joke!

AndyP
25th April 2009, 08:00 AM
Interesting. Courses I would never join - Oxley and McLeod. Courses I'd only join if I lived walking distance - Wynnum, Virginia.
Why?

Iain
25th April 2009, 09:48 AM

Interesting....

PeteyD
25th April 2009, 10:20 AM
Wynnum - Because Pacific is a better course and 10 mins up the road. I would join if I could walk to the course.

McLeod - I really do not like the course. At all.

Virginia - Not a big fan. Unless I could walk there i'd take Keperra or Nudgee.

Oxley - Have never liked the course.

henno
25th April 2009, 10:24 AM
Ditto to all of the above - eventhough I can walk to Wynnum.

jimandr
26th April 2009, 10:16 PM
To answer Andrew's question, I'm in the Blakey camp on this one. The quality of the course has very little to do with why I play golf, and I can get a positive out of anywhere. After all, I was a member of New Brighton for 3 years, and hated 5, 6, 9 and 17 when the pin was at the back. Then I was a member at Rosnay for 5 years, which has more bad holes than good holes, and you needed to go 3 under hcp to beat the CCR.

At both places the golfers in general were good people, it was value for money and the beer was cold.

Fortunately, there are enough open day comps in Sydney for us not to be trapped into playing our home course all the time anyway.

But, I still like the 'walking distance' test. That isn't a bad measuring stick. Fortunately, Macarthur Grange isn't within walking distance of anywhere.

markTHEblake
26th April 2009, 10:29 PM
But, I still like the 'walking distance' test. That isn't a bad measuring stick.

When i got transferred to Townsville i was given the bad news that i had been assigned to live in the worst staff quarters in all of Qld, and it was truly a dump. But when i looked up the map and saw that the clubhouse was 300 metres away i was as happy as a pig in mud!