PDA

View Full Version : The OZgolf Architecture for Dummies Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Webster
28th February 2013, 10:49 AM
Solarman, you forgot the best part of that day - you and I beating Courty and Haysey in the match.

Are your bunker antics from that day still on YouTube? Was very funny stuff...

Courty
28th February 2013, 10:59 AM
Solarman, you forgot the best part of that day - you and I beating Courty and Haysey in the match.

Are your bunker antics from that day still on YouTube? Was very funny stuff...

Try here: http://youtu.be/LRG0tO5ri0Q

:mrgreen:

Lobsta
28th February 2013, 02:22 PM
Try here: http://youtu.be/LRG0tO5ri0Q

:mrgreen:

Comedy gold.

BrettM
28th February 2013, 06:38 PM
Courty

Here is a photo of the 3rd from the tee.
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/cairns3_zpsef730de8.jpg

I believe I asked for the bunker on the left to be filled in. By the way there was some bizarre story that when Marsh / Watson built the green the foreman had the plan arse about and the bunker got built on the left instead of the right side. Not sure it was just a story but knowing the foreman it does not surprise me.
I tweaked the left side bunker to bite more into the front-left of the green.
A fairway trap as proposed on the right side with that tree and a couple of his mates to be removed.
The right side greenside trap was ok but the rear-left one could go.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/3rdb_zps0e32552d.jpg

Richard,

Serious question, why bunker on the same side as OOB? To me it's like building a bunker in front of a lake. What strategic nature does that bunker add given you could bunker either side of the green? Were there any considerations to deepening and remodelling the drainage swale left of the green to add more interest and challenge?

Ashes
28th February 2013, 07:21 PM
To me it's like building a bunker in front of a lake.

Like this?

BrettM
28th February 2013, 08:07 PM
Ashes, yes - I know that hole, can't remember the number but it is quite elevated on the left rough sloping down onto the fairway.

rubin
28th February 2013, 08:11 PM
Like this?

Is that 1 at secrets?

Ashes
28th February 2013, 08:43 PM
Yep, 1st at Secrets. I like the hole, but the bunkers there are pointless.

LeftyHoges
28th February 2013, 08:50 PM
Like this?

Not always a bad thing.

I hit an abhorrent drive off 6 @ Kooringal in the VIC matchplay final that ran through the bunker, taking just enough off it for it to sit on the downslope between the bunker and the hazard. Hit an awesome wedge into 5 feet and binned the putt for a half.

They felt alright to me that day!!! :mrgreen:

Ashes
28th February 2013, 08:53 PM
Not always a bad thing.

I hit an abhorrent drive off 6 @ Kooringal in the VIC matchplay final that ran through the bunker, taking just enough off it for it to sit on the downslope between the bunker and the hazard. Hit an awesome wedge into 5 feet and binned the putt for a half.

When you see how thick the grass is around those bunkers you'll understand how pointless the bunkers are. Pretty unlikely that your ball would run through into the water.

In all honesty, you could well be better off in the bunkers than the grass!

mike
27th April 2013, 11:29 PM
Courty

I believe I asked for the bunker on the left to be filled in. By the way there was some bizarre story that when Marsh / Watson built the green the foreman had the plan arse about and the bunker got built on the left instead of the right side. Not sure it was just a story but knowing the foreman it does not surprise me.
A fairway trap as proposed on the right side with that tree and a couple of his mates to be removed.

Don't change a thing. I birdied this sucker today.

Courty
27th April 2013, 11:33 PM
Don't change a thing. I birdied this sucker today.

How did you play it?

mike
27th April 2013, 11:36 PM
Drive just short of the bunker. 6 iron pin high left, about 10 feet. Sunk it.

Piss easy.

mike
27th April 2013, 11:41 PM
My lay up on 11 was less impressive.

mike
28th April 2013, 11:20 AM
... and I still think that palm tree in the middle of the 13th fairway is ridiculous.

Courty
28th April 2013, 11:43 AM
My lay up on 11 was less impressive.

I'd like to hear more about this. ;)

... and I still think that palm tree in the middle of the 13th fairway is ridiculous.

Did you hit it?

I agree, but usually doesn't worry me as I hit straight over the top of it. 8)

There is also a stoopid palm just right of middle on 18.

Dingo
28th April 2013, 12:37 PM
BM
In an effort to keep as many greens as possible this was not one of the worst so I decided to not touch the surface and only muck around with the surrounds.

As a new member, my first impression was that the greens were by far the best feature of the course (except perhaps #12). Which greens don't you like?

The green felt it was best attacked from the right side so thats where I wanted to add the fairway obstacle. It will only work though if you add that greenside bunker into the left side at the front.

At the moment, the best (only) place to attack the green from is just right of the fairway trap (or left of THOSE trees for big hitters). This puts you in line to play straight up the longest line of the green. I must have a look next time I play, but I wasn't even aware that the green had the part which bulges out to the right. If it is still there then it could go without detracting from the hole.

I'm sure once that fairway bunkers on the left is gone most of the punters will simply aim out there, and effectively ease the safety concern with the property boundary. Those wanting the best line in will need to flirt with the RHS fairway trap.

The bunker starts just on 200m from the tee. I'd guess three quarters of the members can't hit that far. For those who can, it provides an incentive not to try to hit too hard off the tee. It finishes at around 230m. The big hitters can hit over it. For those who are in between, the best spot to hit from is just right of the bunker or just short of it. The trees on the right impinge on the play and should come out, but why would you want to entice anybody to play further right off the tee by making that the best place to approach the green from?

Surely the hole will be better (particularly considering the boundary issues) if the best place to hit an approach from is exactly where it is now. Perhaps a bunker on the RHS at around 260m to persaude the gorillas to aim away from the boundary?

I really do admit though that playing with property boundary usually conflicts with the strategic element at times. If we got into an armwrestle about the fairway trap it would be one that I could concede may not need to be built. As you say, they already have to flirt with the OOB line to gain a better line in so I see your point.

Who presently flirts with the OOB? At best that line puts you behind those trees? If the trees come out, then something nasty needs to replace them. Maybe yet another small pond?

Having only really seen the course through the recent mild wet season, my priority would be improved fairway drainage particularly on 3 and 4. Even though the greens are all elevated, drainage around the greens could do with some significant work. The surrounds are much less playable than they are at Paradise Palms during the wet season.

mike
28th April 2013, 12:48 PM

Did you hit it?
Nope. In fact I don't think I ever have, nor has it ever affected my second short (or third :oops: ) I just think it's a stupid place to have a tree.

I'd like to hear more about this.;) Started on the 10th. Chopped my way to a 6a1 on 10. 11 isn't the ideal hole to play when you've just ballsed up the previous hole.
Anyway, I topped my tee shot on 11. It was heading for the water and pulled up about 2 meters short. Lucky. Easy pitch on. 3 putts. 5 a 1. Wiped 12. 6 a 1 on 13. ffs. Great start.

3 point pars on 14, 15 and 16 stopped the bleeding. Finished up with 33 or 34 points. Can't remember now. Playing partners kept telling me not to worry about the stab scores. Apparently you enter each hole score into the computer when you're done and it calculates it for you. It's not my place to say but, wtf? Seriously wtf.

btw, Cairns is looking superb. Greens are fantastic, as are the fairways. Tees are a bit shaggy but that much traffic has to be a factor.

Also, Cairns members should be told how to use a sand bucket and divot repairer.

Courty
28th April 2013, 12:58 PM
11 isn't the ideal hole to play when you've just ballsed up the previous hole.

True. You're very lucky actually. When we were preparing to tee off we were told that the pump shed tee box would be used on 11 (about 160 water carry with no land crossing). In the end it wasn't used, but only because some numpty forgot to move the tee markers. :roll:

Playing partners kept telling me not to worry about the stab scores. Apparently you enter each hole score into the computer when you're done and it calculates it for you. It's not my place to say but, wtf? Seriously wtf.

I know. They haven't implemented it for Saturday rounds yet. I only used it for the first time on Thursday. It didn't take all that long because Solarman came with me & read the scores out to me. The only benefit it provides (that I'm aware of) is that it allows the live leaderboard to be calculated & shown on the big screen. IMO, they should be looking at the system some other clubs use where a special type of card is used and then scanned after the round.

btw, Cairns is looking superb. Greens are fantastic, as are the fairways. Tees are a bit shaggy but that much traffic has to be a factor.

Agreed. The course is sensational, particularly so close to the end of the wet. It should be primo by the Club Champs/ City of Cairns. The tees are probably the main fault at the moment, but as you will have seen on 8 & 11 they are slowly being addressed.

Also, Cairns members should be told how to use a sand bucket and divot repairer.

Again, agreed.

mike
28th April 2013, 01:10 PM
I know. They haven't implemented it for Saturday rounds yet. I only used it for the first time on Thursday. It didn't take all that long because Solarman came with me & read the scores out to me. The only benefit it provides (that I'm aware of) is that it allows the live leaderboard to be calculated & shown on the big screen. IMO, they should be looking at the system some other clubs use where a special type of card is used and then scanned after the round.
Just seems a lot of work. It would piss me off no end.

Can you just put in your stab score?

Courty
28th April 2013, 02:32 PM
Just seems a lot of work. It would piss me off no end.

Can you just put in your stab score?

Yep, yep, nope.

sms316
28th April 2013, 02:35 PM
Sooks. It isn't a big deal, especially with someone reading the scores to you (as Courty suggested). You do need to have more than one terminal though.

The scanned cards are good in theory. Not much chop with old coots though. They tend to struggle with keeping the line in only one circle.

markTHEblake
28th April 2013, 02:50 PM
I used a hole by hole score lodging computer yesterday. probably took me 20 seconds without anyone reading it out. Only a complete nong would have trouble with it.

mike
28th April 2013, 04:17 PM
But I'm a complete nong.

What the hell was wrong with just adding up your stab score as you went? It ain't that difficult.

Anyway I can't see my club implementing such a system. Good thing too.

sms316
28th April 2013, 04:19 PM
Anyway I can't see my club implementing such a system. Good thing too.I wouldn't want to be a handicapper in the years to come without a system of this ilk.

mike
28th April 2013, 04:21 PM
Why?

sms316
28th April 2013, 04:25 PM
Why? Because at some point in the future a hole with a score worse than a nett double bogey will become that for handicapping purposes. So say you have a 6 on a par 3 and have a nett 72, your handicapped score will become 71 (this will have no effect to the competition itself). Hole by hole software will do this automatically. A person going through cards by eye will find this to be a very tedious exercise.

sms316
28th April 2013, 04:26 PM
There will be a way around it though. All cards can just be marked as stableford scores in a column not used for comp recording, but it could be ugly.

mike
28th April 2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah but I thought we would be scoring our stroke and par rounds as a stableford score. I'm all for making the handicappers job easier.

EDIT. Just read your post above. How would it be ugly? No different to a regular stab scorecard. Are the golfing population getting THAT lazy?

markTHEblake
28th April 2013, 04:29 PM
But I'm a complete nong.What the hell was wrong with just adding up your stab score as you went? It ain't that difficult.Anyway I can't see my club implementing such a system. Good thing too. Every single golfer in USA that has a handicap does not have any difficulty with entering his scores that way. If they can cope then I am sure it can't be that difficult.

mike
28th April 2013, 04:31 PM
Ah well. Can't stop progress I guess.

sms316
28th April 2013, 04:35 PM
EDIT. Just read your post above. How would it be ugly? No different to a regular stab scorecard. Are the golfing population getting THAT lazy? Could be ugly. Shouldn't be, but could be. If you are playing a par comp you will now require 3 scores per hole. Most cards have 3 columns so it shouldn't be an issue. But having said that, there are some bloody awful cards returned that look like they have been written in hieroglyphics. Those ones will be a problem.

peter_rs
28th April 2013, 04:54 PM
Because at some point in the future a hole with a score worse than a nett double bogey will become that for handicapping purposes. So say you have a 6 on a par 3 and have a nett 72, your handicapped score will become net 71

Keep it simple pickup at net double and we speed up rounds as well

sms316
28th April 2013, 05:04 PM
Keep it simple pickup at net double and we speed up rounds as well I don't disagree, but at most clubs we are only talking about one round a month.

LeftyHoges
29th April 2013, 02:15 AM
Courty

I can't wait to play this hole in the City of Cairns tournament later this year and see which club it forces me to snap.

markTHEblake
29th April 2013, 07:17 AM
Play with county and snap one of his. He will inevitably do it anyway so you would be just doing him a favour.

IanO
29th April 2013, 02:42 PM
Not always a bad thing.

And you have no idea how annoyed I was that your ball had the speed to get through the bunker but then stop before the water!

mike
29th April 2013, 06:52 PM
I can't wait to play this hole in the City of Cairns tournament later this year and see which club it forces me to snap.It's an easy hole. Probably too easy.

mike
29th April 2013, 08:55 PM
Courty, how much has the 1st been shortened?

haysey
29th April 2013, 09:15 PM
I'd guess about 20-25 metres if they push the tee back as far as it'll go, Mike.

LeftyHoges
29th April 2013, 09:23 PM
And you have no idea how annoyed I was that your ball had the speed to get through the bunker but then stop before the water!

:mrgreen:!

:lol:

Courty
30th April 2013, 06:01 AM
Courty, how much has the 1st been shortened?

I'd guess about 20-25 metres if they push the tee back as far as it'll go, Mike.

When the blue tees are back up against the fence it would only be 10m shorter, but they did extend the tee box forwards for more room.

Courty
23rd February 2014, 10:40 AM
It appears someone from Cairns GC has been reading my whinging on this forum. During yesterday's round I noted that all 4 trees I have complained about have been cut down (3rd, 13th & 2 on 18).

13th fairway
http://i.imgur.com/TycsvF1.jpg

18th fairway
http://i.imgur.com/t00B6n7.jpg

simmsy
23rd February 2014, 10:59 AM
Wtf!
Why was a tree there?

Courty
23rd February 2014, 11:03 AM
Wtf!
Why was a tree there?

Exactly!

goughy
23rd February 2014, 11:15 AM
Not that I like trees in the middle of fairways, but I kind of get it when going one way round it offers a risk/reward element, as opposed to the other way being the safer line of play. But when they're in the middle just for the sake of it - cut that sucker down.

sms316
23rd February 2014, 11:17 AM
Maybe Courty belted those trees into submission?

goughy
23rd February 2014, 11:22 AM
Was it a white belt with a cool buckle?

BUSHY
23rd February 2014, 02:56 PM
It appears someone from Cairns GC has been reading my whinging on this forum. During yesterday's round I noted that all 4 trees I have complained about have been cut down (3rd, 13th & 2 on 18).

13th fairway
http://i.imgur.com/TycsvF1.jpg

18th fairway
http://i.imgur.com/t00B6n7.jpg

You agree with the one on the third getting the axe??

LeftyHoges
23rd February 2014, 04:02 PM
Wtf!
Why was a tree there?

Those "trees" were no thicker than my leg. I don't think I've been within 5 metres of hitting any of them. True they're not necessary but they're no hinderance either.

Courty
23rd February 2014, 05:55 PM
You agree with the one on the third getting the axe??

Yep. I hated that tree with a passion.

BUSHY
23rd February 2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah I have to agree.

Courty
23rd February 2014, 07:50 PM
Although I've seen others hit the trees on 18, they never caused me any trouble. I have, however, been pissed at hitting a good drive on 13 into that bloody palm and coming back 20 or 30 towards the tee.

LarryLong
23rd February 2014, 07:55 PM
I always figured that fairway trees exist purely for the sake of giving your playing partners a good laugh, although I guess I could see some merit in having one that you might have to aim at and just miss to get the best line into the green.

Any truth to the rumour that Courty has just made a purchase at the local husqvarna dealer?

LeftyHoges
23rd February 2014, 08:03 PM
Oh wow took me a whole to work it out but that the stupid lone palm on the par 5 ? Greens chairman off to a great start.

Both par 5's, 13 and 18 have got rid of them.

Shadesy
23rd February 2014, 08:25 PM
Those "trees" were no thicker than my leg. I don't think I've been within 5 metres of hitting any of them. True they're not necessary but they're no hinderance either.

Leg pre or post marriage?

simmsy
23rd February 2014, 08:50 PM
You're so nasty heaf