PDA

View Full Version : Wedge setup ?

Ona
29th December 2004, 10:18 PM
Ok time for a shake up. Have a 52* gappy that is perfect for the track I play the most, so thats a keeper. Next is my 61* trusty rusty, tried and tru but as old as some of you blokes. distance gap b/t the two is too much as is, so its time for some new blood. I figure my options are as follows

1. 52* gap + 58* sand/lob (my natural inclination)

2. 52* + 56* + 61*

3. 52* + 58* + 64*

ALL opinions welcome... unless you play a 7 wood :roll:

I mean it :twisted: (ladies exempt)

:D

Jarro
30th December 2004, 05:34 AM
i really like the 52/56/60 combo i had for a while. once you finally work out the correct way to hit it, the 60* lobby can be the best club in your bag 8) Don't know that i'd really see any need for a higher lofted wedge than that though.

senecio
30th December 2004, 05:59 AM
52° and 56° and leave the lobbie out in favour of a longer iron or fairway wood.

Ryan

Trung
30th December 2004, 08:27 AM
I have 54° & 60° in the bag.

AndyP
30th December 2004, 08:28 AM
If you love the 61° and it goes well, then leave it in the bag, that is, option 2.

But if you don't have a need for a club of that loft, or are looking to add a different club to the bag, then option 1 would be the setup to go with.

A 64° wedge is just silly.

FYI I have 50°, 54° & 58° wedges, and am not totally convinced with this setup yet.

Aussielongdriver
30th December 2004, 09:17 AM
I carry 4 wedges being

pitching 48 deg
Gap 52 deg
Sand 56 deg
Lob 60 deg

This give you a lot of options as you can always lay the face open if more loft is required.

So I would throw a 56 in to fill the void.

Stephen

Keza_G
30th December 2004, 10:06 AM
Hey Stephen.....

I like your 3rd option...

52 + 58 + 64...

I have these 3 but only carry the 52 + 58.... I find I only carry the 64 if I am at a track with lotsa grass and heavily bunkered greens.... otherwise I think it pointless..... how can you lob with a 64 when a)there's no grass and b) you dont have to stop the ball on a dime.

58 gives me plenty of loft with enough spin to make it completely playable, but the 52 gives the gap distance plenty of confidence....

let me know what you decide..

cheers

Keza

goughy
30th December 2004, 11:49 AM
I used to use a pw, 50*, 55*, 60* but found it was just too many in that range. I never ended up using the 55*. Dropped the 50* and then bent the 55* to 53*.

Then changed to a pw, 52* and 60*.

Am now rationalised to a pw, 54* and 60* and I think this combo will stay for a long time. My pw is from about 115mtrs, my 54* can be pushed to 100mtrs, but I like it from about 90mtrs in. My 60* I only use from about 50mtrs in (if that) but can push it to 60 or 70mtrs, but don't need to really.

I think if you work your game back from the green and look at what type of shots you want to play, that should help you decide. I find it pretty easy to cover the 100 to 50mtr range with varied swings on my pw and 54*, so I see no need to use an extra club. Plus an extra club just means more decisions.

Onewood
30th December 2004, 12:03 PM
52° and 56° and leave the lobbie out in favour of a #5 Rescue.

Ona
30th December 2004, 04:04 PM
decision made, thanks all :D

will go with the 52 and 58. my guess is that my pw is strong, prolly around 46, will be getting the set checked out soon.

I like the gap for 115 to I guess 70'ish. Will need to try a 58 to see if I can get it around 70m, should be right. This way also I'm only buying one club, so can get a good one, would be nice to have some good grooves for a change.

suggestions?

Jarro
30th December 2004, 05:15 PM
Will need to try a 58 - suggestions?

try the TM RAC Blacks mate ..... great wedges 8)

andylo
30th December 2004, 05:22 PM
No way, Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl is the BEST ;)

Will need to try a 58 - suggestions?

try the TM RAC Blacks mate ..... great wedges 8)

goughy
30th December 2004, 05:22 PM
No need to tell you what I suggest. Look in the sig.

davidp
30th December 2004, 08:09 PM
decision made, thanks all :D

This way also I'm only buying one club, so can get a good one, would be nice to have some good grooves for a change.

suggestions?

Adam, try the Maltby M series wedges. They are a very good wedge and a pretty good buy.

www.infocusgolf.com.au

Phil is a great bloke & is also a member of thegolfforum.com.au

990B Luva
30th December 2004, 08:48 PM
good decision going with the 52/58 combo, i have a 47° PW, and earlier this year i slowly purchased a Ben Hogan 52° wedge from jarro, and then later bought a 58° Vokey Raw and have found that it is the best loft combination i have tried, i would only upgrade my wedges if i got the opportunity to get RAC Black 52/58 for cheap :lol:

Ona
30th December 2004, 11:30 PM
methinks this might take a while :(

:smt009

damoocow
30th December 2004, 11:37 PM
onabreak wrote:

ALL opinions welcome... unless you play a 7 wood

have contacted lawyer regarding defamation action against you - you shi$head - oops shouldn't have typed that - bugger - oh what the fu%k - you are a dipshi% !

for the record I play a 49 degree PW / 55 degree SW and 61 degree LW - like lots of bounce in my wedges - [perhaps that could be misconstrued also !]

damoocow

Ona
30th December 2004, 11:41 PM
damo what shaft in the wedges mate

:wink:

damoocow
30th December 2004, 11:46 PM
ona -
PW and SW are powerbilt shafts but have been checked to be same as DG R300 - LW is a nippon - unsure of flex etc .

damoocow

markTHEblake
31st December 2004, 12:13 AM
methinks this might take a while :(

:smt009

well it was kinda a futile question. Nobody but yourself can work out the answer, as we all have different games played on different courses.

some courses have greens that brings the 60 degree club into play a lot, others dont. Other golfers might have trouble with the half pitch from 50 metres so a extra wedge is a bonus. Others can lob an 9 iron from the same distance, they dont need it.

for me its never occured that i need a 60 deg club for the last 5 years or so. I figure its one shot in 10 rounds where i might need it - if that. I dont use my 56deg sand iron from the grass either, so my pitching shot is normally the 52deg wedge.

Ona
31st December 2004, 10:46 AM
just meant that it'll take me a long time to decide.. too many options!

those maltby's might be the go, wouldn't mind trying the Fuego's, FEEL's are tempting, snake eye's look good, 588's would be nice, y-cutters are all the rage and ive only just started looking :(

I dont even want to think about trailing/leading edges, camber or grind. Mid bounce (whatever that is) will do fine.

McMw
3rd January 2005, 01:03 AM
Pw is 46`, so got myself a 50` Gap wedge, and a 58` lob wedge...

the gap btw the 50 and 58 is not nearly as important as my need to get a club that I can hit consistently after the Pw... 8)

BrisVegas
19th January 2005, 01:03 PM
Ona - how's your quest going?

I've been thinking about this lately too. I'm playing 52,56,60 but I think I could get away with a 58 to save a club. I really like having a higher lofted club out of bunkers, but can't play a low-bounce lobbie too well from the fringe. I think a mid-bounce 58 would be a good compromise.

The 52 is a weapon. Can't see ever dropping that club.

Finding a wedge setup that suits is almost as important as a putter. After all, there are 18 opportunities to need a wedge in any round.

AndyP
19th January 2005, 01:08 PM
I've also had thoughts about changing from a 50/54/58 combo to a 52/58. However, the likelihood of me actually doing this is pretty slim.

Ona
19th January 2005, 07:35 PM
well we've had a couple of setbacks Vegas, first being that my pw is a stupid 45* :x and have heard of some bad experiences bending my clubs so weakening them from the 7 down, to make the pw 47*, may not be an option. I was thinking maybe the 50* would be the go for the gap, but i had a game the other day and hit the 52* into the green SEVEN times.. would definitely not want a gap any stronger on my course, if anything a little weaker might be better. 52* gap is set might try a different model tho :roll:

second problem... just found that my lob has something like 14* bounce on it :shock: or at least thats what it had upon conception. ive played this club for a long time and hit it alright from many lies, tight lies preferred over fluffy spongy stuff :? so anyway, im not sure what bounce to look for in the 58*, was thinking 8 would be good, but now im not sure. not much call for bunker shots from the middle of the green, so I shouldn’t need high bounce ( 8) ), but I take fair divots with the (supposedly) 14* bounce trusty so going soo much lower may not be good..

then there’s the decision of which model(s) to go after :cry:

despicably lengthy explanation of my troubles over

Pinglauncher
20th January 2005, 10:10 AM
Ona

You sound like you are in the same boat as me. I have Cleveland TA7's and the PW is 45*. I have a 54 & 58 Ping MB and am undecided what to do with the gap. I really like the idea and useability of having both a strong and weak SW and this seems to work really well for me around Carnarvon where I play most of my golf.

I was thinking of either a TA7 DW @ 50* or getting another MB at around 49* but I just cannot seem to make a decision either way.

Pinglauncher

Jarro
20th January 2005, 03:23 PM
a 52/58 combo is the best i think. Most sets these days have a 45/46* pitching wedge, so going with the 528 as the next club up gives you a nice gap between the 3. You can pretty much do with a 58 what you can with a 60 ...

.. my $0.02.