PDA

View Full Version : Script for a movie about Moe Norman

razaar
23rd April 2009, 02:39 PM
Moe Norman Comes to the Big Screen

Barry Morrow wrote the script for Rain Man after he met Kim Peek. He wrote two screenplays for Television—Bill—played by Mickey Rooney after he met Bill Sackter.

Now he has written a script for a movie about Moe Norman, a remarkable golfer who was an 'unconventional ball-striking wizard who died in September of 2004 after being inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame." (See story (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/GAM.20090318.RUBE18/EmailTPStory/TPComment) in The Globe and Mail.) Tiger Woods indicated at one point: "Only two players have ever truly owned their swings, Moe Norman and Ben Hogan." A golf school has been set up in Oklahoma to teach Moe's simplest and most effective swing at www.swinglikemoe.com. (http://www.swinglikemoe.com/)

At the time of his death, USA Today carried an article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2004-09-28-norman_x.htm) on September 28, 2009, telling more about this very unique and memorable man. He had 17 holes in one, 9 double eagles, 3 sanctioned scores of 59, won more than 50 tournaments and set more than 30 course records. According to the USA Today story Moe was a whiz at math, had a photographic memory and "could remember the distance and layout of virtually every golf course he played." Also Moe was "just the most stupefying accurate golfer on the planet. Norman played competitive golf more than 50 years and witnesses say he played 11 of those years—that's about 230,000 golf shots—without hitting the ball out of bounds." At an exhibition in Florida, Moe began by hitting simple little pitching wedges about 90 yards "with the balls landing on top of each other in a space the size of a bedspread, colliding like little neurons when they hit."

Mr. Morrow has not decided as yet who will play the part of Moe Norman, but surely he will be instructed at the Golf Academy to master that incredible swing and accuracy. The film will capture as well the complex, unconventional and misunderstood, character that Moe was. The USA Today article writer goes on to state: "I never heard Norman speak about autism, but I know that he understood its cruelties in his car, which was filled with old newspaper clippings and the motivational tapes that helped rescue his life. He once had a well-worn article about autism sitting on the front seat. In the article the outdated term 'idiot savant' was discussed at length. Norman had crossed out the word idiot."

Based on Morrow's sensitive and engrossing work with Rain Man and Bill, it should be a another memorable movie.

BrisVegas
23rd April 2009, 02:46 PM
sounds great, i hope the film becomes a reality. Moe Norman was a tragic genius, so I think it's good that his story is told.

andylo
23rd April 2009, 03:13 PM
Susan Boyle would be a ideal character for the role!

Joke aside, I wonder why the world ONLY start to embrace Mr Norman after he's dead?!?! FFS there were decades of time when the Mr Fantastic were still alive and still playing fantistic golf!! As far as I knew (from the ariticle I read about him) he's very shy and introvert, very sensitive and probably quite self centred. But looking at his life he seems got lots and lots of tragic stories/experiences... heaps of them is coming from his peers and the *&^%ing offcials!!

With his skills and talents he should be a star since probably 30 years ago or even before that! But instead, he's living in a broken shed and not living a reasonably comfort life until some high up Titlest execute give him some endorsement in his late year! Then he start getting more famous, probably become more happy person.... and dead not long after that!

At least he had a good few years toward the end of his life - IMO he deserve much better than that, and the world has miss out heaps of chances to see him perform... thanks to those ppl I mention above!

Webster
23rd April 2009, 03:14 PM
Who would play Moe? Dustin Hoffman? Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

BrisVegas
23rd April 2009, 03:23 PM
bill murray

virge666
23rd April 2009, 03:40 PM
Who would play Moe? Dustin Hoffman? Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

Nice one.

And Moe did OK. especially at home. He had a following in Canada pretty much like Weir does now. Mr Acushnet gave him money and other stuff a long long time ago.

He was a nutter though - instead of his nutter skill being killing people - it was cards and golf.

Cool story about him if anyone cares to read about it.

moree golfer
23rd April 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm listening virge.

Courty
23rd April 2009, 04:26 PM
I hope they hire an actor who has an already legitimate golf game. I hate watching sports movies where it's obvious that the cast aren't proficient at the sport in question.

razaar
23rd April 2009, 05:58 PM
I see one of the articles mentioned Justin Timberlake as a possibility. Shouldn't be too difficulty for him to shorten his swing and he has proven that he can act.:)

Scottt
23rd April 2009, 06:24 PM
http://moenormangolfacademy.org/moesroom/images/moe7.jpg

Matt Damon?
Kevin Connolly?
Breckyn Myer?

razaar
23rd April 2009, 06:38 PM
Who played Barney Rubble in the Flintstone movie ?
:lol:

Webster
23rd April 2009, 06:45 PM
I reckon with a bit of makeup and new hairdo I could almost get the gig (with 69'er as my stunt double)

Scottt
23rd April 2009, 06:47 PM
Perfect break into acting for Warnie?

markTHEblake
23rd April 2009, 07:10 PM
I reckon with a bit of makeup and new hairdo I could almost get the gig
and pull your trousers up to your belly button.

(can you get anythat big?)

Courty
23rd April 2009, 07:20 PM
A younger Mickey Rooney?

Jono
23rd April 2009, 10:08 PM
I hope the movie will be as good as the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Greatness-Moe-Norman-Story/dp/157028086X

Awesome read. 8)

Speirsy had some great stories about Moe too. Apparently Moe stopped in the middle of a tournament to play catch with young Speirsy.

Moe Norman
23rd April 2009, 10:08 PM
Mr. Morrow has not decided as yet who will play the part of Moe Norman, but surely he will be instructed at the Golf Academy to master that incredible swing and accuracy.

sign me up if they can guarantee that!

Jono
23rd April 2009, 10:16 PM
sign me up if they can guarantee that!

You're the opposite of Moe ...

Moe was short and straight.

You are long and ... not so straight. :razz:

Jarro
24th April 2009, 08:34 AM
Which leads you to me.
Short...tick.
Short hitter...tick.
Nutter...tick.
Funny looking swing...tick.
Retarded ....... tick.

:roll:

virge666
24th April 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm listening virge.

Do a google search on Moe and Coca Cola.

Also on his card playing skills, his ability to bounce the ball across bridges and also on the fantastic way he played holes in reverse.

Seriously - the guy was a complete and utter loon. There is a book that Tim Conner (i think) wrote on him and also a couple of DVD's on his life floating about.

Any early footage of his swing is sensational.

Courty
24th April 2009, 07:00 PM
Which leads you to me.
Short...tick.
Short hitter...tick.
Nutter...tick.
Funny looking swing...tick.
retarded...tick
Known to have had some overwhelming victories...tick

Touche! :lol:

Fatgoalie
8th May 2009, 06:26 PM