PDA

View Full Version : Aldila 65-S Proto "by you"

simmsy
21st April 2009, 10:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what sort of flight the Aldila 65-S Proto "by you" typically has. this is the shaft that went into the Ping Rapture drivers.

cheers

Simmsy..

3oneday
21st April 2009, 10:33 PM
Mid flight, when compared to the NV and the NVS, quite boring, some may say a smooth feel as well ;)

Scottt
21st April 2009, 10:38 PM
I have one in my Sumo 9.5. Feels really smooth, low/mid flight

BrisVegas
22nd April 2009, 07:27 AM
Limited experience here, but I thought they were pretty wippy or soft. I hit the OEM version in the Titleist 907D2 side by side with the UST V2 75 and it was like night and day. The Aldila, for me, launched much higher and I could hit nothing but cuts with it. It felt like the head was lagging behind thru impact. The V2 felt much more stable by comparison and kept the ballflight down for me.

Captain Nemo
22nd April 2009, 08:00 AM
Upgraded my R7 TP with this shaft, in fact bought the real one (60s).
On of the better shafts i have played.
I'd say mid ball flight as ive got it in a 8.5*, very strong and boring flight.
If you can pick one up for under $100, or grab a pullout, would be worth a try.

Yossarian
22nd April 2009, 09:31 PM
I've got one in my nike 10.5 , always thought of it as mid to high ball flight, but i guess it depends how your swinging the club as well...

Johnny Canuck
22nd April 2009, 09:48 PM
It has made a world of difference for a guy at our club.

TheNuclearOne
22nd April 2009, 10:18 PM
The Proto is a nice shaft. I struggle with light shafts yet hit a VS-60 quite comfortably. I've got a 70 to put into something sooner or later and have little doubt it will be a nice shaft and fit.

Jono
22nd April 2009, 11:06 PM
I actually found VS Proto higher launching than NV and felt a bit "harsher". NV is much SMOOOOTHER ... :p

BTW, I heard somewhere that "by you" is supposed to be short for "Blue it by you". Hence the blue colour of the shaft.

henno
23rd April 2009, 07:13 AM
It would have been clever if it was a hat-tip to Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou".

Jarro
23rd April 2009, 07:57 AM
I didn't really like the shaft in my old G10 ...

... it was too spinny for me :?

goonie
23rd April 2009, 10:12 AM
I heard there is a big difference between the oem and real ones.
60, 70 etc are the real ones an the 65, 75 etc are the oem ones.

pt73
23rd April 2009, 10:17 AM
According to a post from an Aldila guy (VP of R&D) on WRX it's just a heavier version, the other specs are identical but others have a different opinions, some agree some don't. It's just like the Voodoo made for titleist discussions.

Jono
23rd April 2009, 10:21 AM
... it was too spinny for me :?

that's what I found. I tried it in couple of different heads ... launched relatively high and ballooned a bit.

We must have similar swings Jarro. :lol:

goonie
23rd April 2009, 10:41 AM
According to a post from an Aldila guy (VP of R&D) on WRX it's just a heavier version, the other specs are identical but others have a different opinions, some agree some don't. It's just like the Voodoo made for titleist discussions.

Then why don't the oem's just fit the standard models and not the oem only models, or why don't aldila sell the oem only models aftermarket. I am sure some of the oem shafts are made to the oem's specs, titty, but I am sure some are cheaper versions or shafts that weren't up to spec/quality to sell aftermarket.

pt73
23rd April 2009, 10:56 AM
According to what I've read some of the OEMs wanted versions that were slightly heavier, most had been offering driver shafts around the 65g mark and wanted something similar.

Titleist wanted a version with a 4" PTS for their bore thru heads.

BrisVegas
23rd April 2009, 12:56 PM
especially with the Titleist 4" PTS, it makes a massive difference. A normal shaft plays much stiffer in a bore-through head than a regular one. I think that's a big part of why Titleist have ditched the bore-through design on their 909 series woods. It just makes life easier for shaft makers and club fitters to not have to worry about it.

TheNuclearOne
23rd April 2009, 04:42 PM

I didn't think there was any doubt the Titty Voodoo is not 100%.

I spun the Proto 65 too much in a 907 D2 but that head sure spins. The Proto 60 in a DCT was great. I've seen the two way debate of original round number VS' against the 65's and am not sure myself as i've never hit them in a similar head. I do believe the specs are substancially tighter on the factory model vs OEM.

pt73
26th April 2009, 09:42 AM
I didn't think there was any doubt the Titty Voodoo is not 100%.

I spun the Proto 65 too much in a 907 D2 but that head sure spins. The Proto 60 in a DCT was great. I've seen the two way debate of original round number VS' against the 65's and am not sure myself as i've never hit them in a similar head. I do believe the specs are substancially tighter on the factory model vs OEM.
The Titleist Voodoo is a "made for" design with a 4" PTS as the after market has a 3" PTS. Some reviews on WRX say it's softer than the after market version but as the Yanks say, YMMV.

TheNuclearOne
26th April 2009, 10:08 AM
The Titleist Voodoo is a "made for" design with a 4" PTS as the after market has a 3" PTS. Some reviews on WRX say it's softer than the after market version but as the Yanks say, YMMV.

Yeah, exactly. A lot of peeps were disappointed with it. The real Voodoo would be a great shaft but at the moment they just want too many bones for it.