PDA

View Full Version : Personal golf highlight

Scottt
15th April 2009, 04:44 PM
What's yours?

pt73
15th April 2009, 04:48 PM
Winning my Club Championship last year after 30 years of trying and having lost in 4 previous final appearances.

Jarro
15th April 2009, 04:55 PM
Shooting a 4 over par 75 in the first round of the Midweek Champs in 2007

kingslayer33
15th April 2009, 04:56 PM
What's yours?

Just checked your blog. I ticked off two of your UK wishlist while i lived in the old dart. Royal St. George's and Royal Portrush. Both exceptional courses and a great history to them. Pity the weather was shocking at both. Closest feel I have played to them back home is Barnbougle.

So no 1's on the scorecard, or Club Championships for me. Just getting to play a couple of amazing courses.

razaar
15th April 2009, 05:03 PM
Having a chat with Tom Watson & Bruce Edwards on the 15th tee during Wed practice round of the 2003 US Open at Olympia Fields.

Grunt
15th April 2009, 05:03 PM
Mine would probably be the Eagle on the 9th Hole @ Blue Canyon CC in Thailand in 2006. 526 Yard Par 5 smoked a 3 wood from the fairway to 3 feet from the pin and sunk the putt. Caddies were going nuts. Was a great shot too as I had a gallery of sorts from teh hotel above the green.

jd_FRANK
15th April 2009, 05:04 PM
Breaking 80 for the first time when playing at Cape Schank on the Mornington Peninsula. Included a 4 putt on the first, 3 putt on the 2nd and missing a 4 footer for birdie on the last.

sms316
15th April 2009, 05:05 PM
Drinking a bottle of Jimmy in the first round of the Champs last year, and still being in a good enough state to make an eagle at the 18th.

Webster
15th April 2009, 05:13 PM
Drinking a bottle of Jimmy in the first round of the Champs last year, and still being in a good enough state to make an eagle at the 18th.

and supergoal the missus shortly thereafter?

PeteyD
15th April 2009, 05:31 PM
Probably beating Jarro at match play ;)
Acing the 13th at reddy bay.
Winning an OzGolf major.

Jarro
15th April 2009, 05:33 PM
Winning a matchplay game 8 & 7.

Probably beating Jarro at match play ;)

Geez you guys need to get out more :roll:

PeteyD
15th April 2009, 05:35 PM
Actually more of a relief to not be beaten by Jarro at matchplay :D

zigwah
15th April 2009, 05:38 PM
A hole in 3 on the 7th a par3 at Mooroopna GC

First ball in the drink, tee up again and the third in the hole, closest i've been to a hole in one. :neutral:

Dotty
15th April 2009, 06:03 PM
Won the President's Cup in 1998.

It's our club's handicap matchplay, just happened to be the only year the Internationals have won the other President's Cup.

Also won the Gold Button in 2007.

Scottt
15th April 2009, 06:19 PM
Some really cool ones in there. I was interested to see how varied the responses would be and you can't get much more varied than the above. An eagle, a Jimmy-assisted eagle, a beer with Gentle Ben, a walk on two top links layouts, a talk with Wishon and Edwards, some on course heroics and a few honour-board titles.

Mine's probably winning the Blue Mountains A-Reserve Pennant in 05, and winning all seven of my games that year, after we got beaten in the final the previous year. I played #7 all year and myself and the #6 (we played two matches per group, so #7s and #6s played together) didn't drop a game.

Can't wait for M3J to chime in with "buying my baby blue Lindburg pants" :lol:

pom
15th April 2009, 06:22 PM
3 rounds of matchplay in 1 weekend at Mackay golf Club, About 7 years ago. Won 6 & 5, 5 & 4, 6 & 5. Never been close to that sort of form since

sms316
15th April 2009, 06:26 PM
Actually, being serious, my highlight would be playing in an ACT v Victoria match at Rich River in 2003. After my partner and I were given a reality check in the morning foursomes (against Craig Scott and Andrew Tampion) by a margin of 6&5, I managed to beat the Victorian captain 6&5.

Ironically, my foursomes partner and I were the only ones to win our individual matches. We were banned from playing foursomes together after that.

henno
15th April 2009, 06:32 PM
This no doubt pales in comparison to the stories above, but screw you guys, this is my highlight...

When I finally birdied my "hoodoo" hole (we all have one) - a long, slight dog-leg left, elevated green par 4 at Indooroopilly. Hitting a brilliant drive, with a slight draw around the bend. Hitting a perfect long iron up to the elevated green and sticking it within 12 feet. Draining the putt, left then right, then dribbled in. Best feeling ever. I am sure a hole in one is great, but even a chopper like me can luck one good shot. Three perfect shots in succession just feels like magic.

Lowlight? Hitting my hybrid 220-230 and holding the green... while three guys were still putting out.Talk about taking the gloss off one of the best shots in my life. I still feel like an ass.

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 07:38 PM
Shooting 78 off the beater in disgraceful conditions at Royal County Down, then following up the next day in perfect weather to shoot 91...!

Other highlights would be any games at Dornoch, TOC, North Berwick West, Bethpage, Pebble, Machrihanish & Royal Portrush.

For some reason, I also enjoyed making a curling 15 footer for eagle on the 5th at National Old after a perfect local knowledge read from MM.

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 07:39 PM
This no doubt pales in comparison to the stories above, but screw you guys, this is my highlight...

When I finally birdied my "hoodoo" hole (we all have one) - a long, slight dog-leg left, elevated green par 4 at Indooroopilly. Hitting a brilliant drive, with a slight draw around the bend. Hitting a perfect long iron up to the elevated green and sticking it within 12 feet. Draining the putt, left then right, then dribbled in. Best feeling ever. I am sure a hole in one is great, but even a chopper like me can luck one good shot. Three perfect shots in succession just feels like magic.
Green 6 or 8?

blue 6?

(Green 6 was also a hoodoo hole for me there for years!)

henno
15th April 2009, 07:40 PM
Green 6 or 8?

blue 6?

(Green 6 was also a hoodoo hole for me there for years!)

EDIT: Green 8. I am alright on Green 6. Hang it right, and the ball will bounce left and on the dancefloor.

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 07:48 PM
my problem with Green 6 was always with the tee shot. Either pump it left towards 8 tee or block it right into trees, or sometimes far enough for water :o

Green 8 was good for me, because there is sooo much room off the tee I just smashed the bloody thing, if it got a draw/hook it was usually safe, if it went right you still have a crack at the green - just a crappy angle

henno
15th April 2009, 07:53 PM
my problem with Green 6 was always with the tee shot. Either pump it left towards 8 tee or block it right into trees, or sometimes far enough for water :o

I'm, ok with finding the fairway there. My trouble was always the approach; left is nothing but pain, so I make sure I hang right regardless of pin location. Easy chip even if you are slightly too far right.

Green 8 just doesn't suit me. That fairway gully is an awkward distance, and sticking the green has always been hit and miss for me. (More miss than hit)

Eag's
15th April 2009, 07:58 PM
Playing the Mt Isa Pro Am back in 1992 and beating Jeff Woodland of the stick.
I shot 72 to his 73 :mrgreen: then proceeded to shoot 79/77 :roll:
My hole in one at the 5th at Brookwater :D

BrisVegas
15th April 2009, 08:03 PM
I played to handicap (6 over) at The Old Course on my visit there in 2001. I lined up at the starters hut at 3:30am and was 3rd in line. Had a great chat with the other blokes lined up and another aussie who turned up after me. The nervous anticipation of waiting to see if we'd get a game was all we could talk about. The first group at 7am (Jap Tourists) cancelled, so the first four of us waiting got to be the first group of the day. I teed off first and striped a 3 iron down the guts and then put a short iron to about 10 feet. I think the adrenalin was still pumping 2 hours after the round finished!

adlo
15th April 2009, 08:05 PM
I played to handicap (6 over) at The Old Course on my visit there in 2001. I lined up at the starters hut at 3:30am and was 3rd in line. Had a great chat with the other blokes lined up and another aussie who turned up after me. The nervous anticipation of waiting to see if we'd get a game was all we could talk about. The first group at 7am (Jap Tourists) cancelled, so the first four of us waiting got to be the first group of the day. I teed off first and striped a 3 iron down the guts and then put a short iron to about 10 feet. I think the adrenalin was still pumping 2 hours after the round finished!
That sounds incredible BV

Bruce Dickinson
15th April 2009, 08:14 PM
walking all 18 holes of Cypress Point on a beautiful February afternoon two years ago, the best part being the realisation of how good the rest of the course apart from 15/16/17 is.

the only downside was a member we got talking too in the car park inviting our group (ten supers and managers) for a game the next morning.....when we already had a meeting locked in with the super at Pebble Beach

PeteyD
15th April 2009, 08:34 PM
I dunno if I like BV's or BD's best!

Minor_Threat
15th April 2009, 08:51 PM
Making the cut in 2002 Australian Open at Victoria GC.

Scottt
15th April 2009, 09:02 PM
The "play suspended because the super f**ked up" Open? What was it like out there?

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Wasn't the supers fault

dc68
15th April 2009, 09:36 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhh there is so many......

The Masters trip last year was up there..
So was the Open in '97.
Playing some great tracks in 97... Ballybunion, Royal County Down, Nairn,the New Course..........Thanks Dad (and suck it Snotttttt)
2 holes in one.
back to back eagles twice.
Playing Pinehurst No 2.
Breaking par for the 1st time.

But without doubt was playing the Old Course in '97 and shooting 80/72 with a nasty double on 17 and an up and down fron the valley of sin for par to play to the 'cap!!!

Actually the best part is being able to play this great annoying,rewarding,frustrating,fantastic **** of a game we all love.

DC

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 09:37 PM
under orders from the AGU and the 'course setup' consultant.

Well thats what the embarassed Vic members tell me anyway!

Scottt
15th April 2009, 09:38 PM
Playing some great tracks in 97... Ballybunion, Royal County Down, Nairn,the New Course..........Thanks Dad (and suck it Snotttttt)

:lol:

I have most of them on my hitlist. And under my own steam, it should feel gooooood! ;)

dc68
15th April 2009, 09:43 PM
And under my own steam, it should feel gooooood! ;)

Trust me playing them and it not costing me a cent it felt really,really,really GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

;)

Scottt
15th April 2009, 09:48 PM
Trust me playing them and it not costing me a cent it felt really,really,really GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

;)

:lol:

Johnny Canuck
15th April 2009, 09:52 PM
Breaking par for the first time. It came after working a night shift, going home to eat and then out to the course.

Winning my first match play championship in my first big event as a club member.

Winning club champs last year. Missed by one this year after finishing 7,9 on day three.

2 Holes in one.

Playing holes 6, 7 and 8 at Kennedy Bay birdie, birdie, eagle. A tough stretch of golf.

Tough to pick just one.

mikezone13
15th April 2009, 10:04 PM
Wow, tough one this, not that there's plenty fo great ones just lots of middle of the road ones...

- Finishing 3rd in the 1993 Canterbury (NZ) Under 18 boy's champiosnhips after shooting 81 in the morning round I nailed an even par 73 in tough conditions while the rest of the field bombed.

- Being selected in 1993 to represent Canterbury (NZ) in the U23 team (ask me my lowlights I'd say my one and only game in the squad, never ever use a new putter when an important match is on the line)

- Holing out off the tee on hole #13 at Coringa CC (NZ) from the plates on the fly from 155m

- Recording a 'dirty 3' (holed out with second tee shot) on the 17th (190m par 3) in quarter finals of the club champs match play to then watch my opponent (a good mate of mine) 3 putt to give me the win on the hole and square the match. I hit the fairway on 18 and my mate walked off to the carpark packed his clubs up and left, I took that as a concession of the match ;)

- Breaking 80 off the stick for the first time in a comp round (medal day) after 7 years without playing

- Playing a round with Wayne Grady at Moore Park of all places

- The first time I stepped on to the 1st tee at NSW GC

TheTrueReview
15th April 2009, 10:12 PM
Highlight? Hitting the green in two on the 483m par 5 17th at Brookwater late last year.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp2/thetruereview01/Brookwater.png

Lowlight? Then proving that I could still 3 putt with the worst of them.

LarryLong
15th April 2009, 10:40 PM
First tee at Buninyong, ready to hit off with my 3 best mates for our annual grudge match. Three kids walk up to the tee behind us and start getting ready. My mate strides up to the tee, so I turn to the kids and loudly say "Watch this bloke boys, he hits it a mile". My mate can't stand the pressure and chops it horribly, amidst a sea of laughter. \\:D/

simmsy
15th April 2009, 11:16 PM
Hole in 1 as a 12 year old on the opening day of the season with my dad as my partner and holding that over him for another 20 years before he got his first hole in one.

mike
15th April 2009, 11:49 PM
Any time I out drive courty.

rodders
16th April 2009, 04:47 PM
First tee at Buninyong, ready to hit off with my 3 best mates for our annual grudge match. Three kids walk up to the tee behind us and start getting ready. My mate strides up to the tee, so I turn to the kids and loudly say "Watch this bloke boys, he hits it a mile". My mate can't stand the pressure and chops it horribly, amidst a sea of laughter. \\:D/

That is a classic. :smt038

relentless1
16th April 2009, 05:29 PM
I'm a golf noob so my feats aren't quite as good, but I was very proud of myself when I chipped in a 40m pitch, can't believe it went in :)

haysey
16th April 2009, 06:43 PM

Me too....

oobsadd2
16th April 2009, 09:12 PM
Played in the WA open as a young amateur and made the cut, I phoned up to get my grouping later that night and almost fell over, David Graham and Roger Mackay. As it turned out DG was a wanker and Roger Mackay (rip) was about the nicest guy Ive ever had the pleasure of playing with.

Scottt
16th April 2009, 09:15 PM
My grandad was cadedying for DG and Greg Norman in a practice round for one of the events they had at Riverside Oaks in the 80s. Thir caddies hadn't turned up yet.

He was doing it just to help out and enjoy watching them, and he accidently gave DG the wrong club on the 6th. He turned around and said "you're f**king sacked". Norman started laughing and said, "you can't sack him, we aren't paying him, lighten up". Graham just said "I don't care, f**k off mate".

oobsadd2
16th April 2009, 09:22 PM
He walked around with a carrot up his arse in a world of his own. We were mile behind the group in front and Roger kept saying to me all the officials were too scared to chat our group.

shavey
16th April 2009, 11:23 PM
Two eagle two's... one from 90m (Robina Woods) and another from 200m (Glades) :smt038 And hitting the inside of the cup on a par three which left the ball sitting on the edge. Greenskeeper couldn't believe it didn't drop!

And as camp as it sounds and probably is; hosting the Backstreet Boys for a game around Lakelands a few years ago. Quite nice lads who really enjoyed themselves.

Unfortunately missed out on a game with Justin Timberlake when I was between jobs but became friends with Kylie's tour manager and then music director over a few rounds. Golf would be one of the best contra offers out there.

Come to think of it, BSB AND Kylie... that really is gay :smt087

Moe Norman
16th April 2009, 11:34 PM
I guess the 28 off the stick on the front 9 at Oxley was also a highlight, but you've all heard that story!

(shame about the 47 on the back)

markTHEblake
16th April 2009, 11:50 PM
but you've all heard that story!
i think we have heard them all, am positive this is a another repeat thread and its the same stories over and over again.

and i reckon some of the fish are getting bigger too.

adlo
17th April 2009, 12:22 AM
Come to think of it, BSB AND Kylie... that really is gay :smt087
AndyP would be proud.

AndyP
17th April 2009, 06:18 AM
Only Kylie, the Pink Wiggle, thanks.

Flowergirl
17th April 2009, 08:08 AM
Pennant. Even the losses because they are character building. I have become so much stronger mentally by playing pennant - I used to throw in the towell far too easy when I first started playing golf - maybe in a lot of aspects of my life. Matchplay has taught me how to control my emotions and never give in. Not to get too cocky but to also never lose faith in your own abilities. That you can play great - but lose to someone who played better - and that's ok. And to play poorly and win - and that's ok too!!!

My game last year when I was 6 down with 6 to go and I came back to win the next 6 to square the game and the match. That would have to be my highlight.:mrgreen:

Also playing at Barnbougle - I played poorly - but I love it. :smt038

Flowergirl
17th April 2009, 08:48 AM
Thats surprising Reenie...I thought it would have been the four 2's in the ozgolf poker game at the champs.

That comes a close second.:mrgreen:

Bruce
17th April 2009, 09:40 AM
The best. sand save. ever. playing with Shavey at Moonah Open. He obviously doesn't rate his eagle 2 on 16 as one of his highlights.

Making the cut at the Victorian Mid Amateur and then making one of the best nett rounds for the 3rd round. (Pity about the 9 on my 69th hole).

shavey
17th April 2009, 10:05 AM
The best. sand save. ever. playing with Shavey at Moonah Open. He obviously doesn't rate his eagle 2 on 16 as one of his highlights.

Oh yeah, forget about that one... :lol:

But really, my shot was a mere support act to the BSSE headliner... What an up and down!!! :smt038

AndyP
17th April 2009, 10:20 AM
2000 Shark Challenge Social C Grade Win - National competition.
2004 McLeod Cup - Honour Board Event.
2007 Sunshine Coast and South Burnett Championships B Grade Open Nett Winner - Shot my lowest score of 3 over par.

Bruce Dickinson
17th April 2009, 10:35 AM
Played in the WA open as a young amateur and made the cut, I phoned up to get my grouping later that night and almost fell over, David Graham and Roger Mackay. As it turned out DG was a wanker and Roger Mackay (rip) was about the nicest guy Ive ever had the pleasure of playing with.

I followed David Graham in a practice round at Joondalup in 1987 and all he did was moan, kept going about Trent Jones JR being a 12 handicapper and therefore had no idea about course design

BrisVegas
17th April 2009, 10:49 AM
I followed David Graham in a practice round at Joondalup in 1987 and all he did was moan, kept going about Trent Jones JR being a 12 handicapper and therefore had no idea about course design

The best/only golf course designer I know is an 11 handicapper. ;)

razaar
17th April 2009, 11:23 AM
and is very religious:wink:

Courty
17th April 2009, 11:35 AM

Hehe.

That one you hit at Paradise Palms was a beauty. However, it was still only good enough for a half. ;)

My highlights would be something like this:

- Winning the '91 Father & Son Matchplay at Cairns GC.
- B-Grade runner-up 2 consecutive years in City of Cairns
- Winning B-Grade Club Champs Matchplay (Honour Board event)
- Going undefeated from start to finish (including the final) of B-Grade Pennants in '03
- Winning consecutive A-Grade Monthly Medals

What does all his mean? As an average A-Grader, I make a mean B-Grader. ;)

razaar
17th April 2009, 11:43 AM
One of my highlights was winning the Far North Qld Closed C'ships as a B grader; didn't know much about golf at the time but I could sure putt.:mrgreen:

Bruce Dickinson
17th April 2009, 12:02 PM

good to see you hold the esteemed 69er in the same league as Trent Jones Jr :lol:

poidda
17th April 2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah as expected mine are a long long time ago.

A-Grade Club Champ at CCC in '93. +2 for the 4 rounds.
A-Grade Junior Club champ two weeks later.

And for some reason the club wouldn't give me the junior trophy because I'd already won the senior trophy. Go figure.

markTHEblake
17th April 2009, 12:28 PM
A-Grade Club Champ at CCC in '93. +2 for the 4 rounds.

:shock:

That does it - Ozgolfs biggest burglar

At least golfer69 has excuses, old, fat, dodgy back we have heard them all.

burger
17th April 2009, 12:47 PM
Ok all you guns with outrageously good best moments . . . . .

From the other end of the golfing spectrum:

Every shot I actually get out of the middle.
Every shot that actually goes where I wanted it too, how I wanted it too.

Both of these are infrequent enough to be personal highlights!

stu. :)

BrisVegas
17th April 2009, 01:58 PM
:shock:

That does it - Ozgolfs biggest burglar

about time you got off my back. :roll:

poidda
17th April 2009, 02:00 PM
Did I forget to mention it was 16 years ago?!?! :roll:

oobsadd2
17th April 2009, 02:01 PM
I reckon that was the year I played with him in the 3rd round.

Bruce Dickinson
17th April 2009, 02:14 PM
I reckon that was the year I played with him in the 3rd round.

could have been, I caddied for an American called Pat Burke in the event. Top guy who finished around 20th whilst averaging 32 plus putts per round.

I think the winning score was +1

oobsadd2
17th April 2009, 02:28 PM
I think I played with Lyndsay Stevens and ?? for the first 36 holes. David Graham and Roger Mackay then Jim Benepe and Ron Wood.
I was tied with Stephen Leaney after 3 rounds for leading amateur. In the end I think I hung on for a nervous 76 but Leaney had a shocker I think having 86.
Wow I was in esteemed company, makes me wonder why I work from my back shed. Spose im still a step in front of Roger Mackay. :)

Bruce Dickinson
17th April 2009, 02:54 PM
I think I played with Lyndsay Stevens and ?? for the first 36 holes. David Graham and Roger Mackay then Jim Benepe and Ron Wood.
I was tied with Stephen Leaney after 3 rounds for leading amateur. In the end I think I hung on for a nervous 76 but Leaney had a shocker I think having 86.
Wow I was in esteemed company, makes me wonder why I work from my back shed. Spose im still a step in front of Roger Mackay. :)
Their some names I hadn't heard for a while. It was a very good field, I know Sam Torrance and Anders Forbrand were a few of the good europeans. We were behind Forsbrand in the 3rd round and watched him put on a great display of club throwing at a few holes

BrisWesty
17th April 2009, 05:12 PM
Mine are mostly rubbish in comparison

1st & only eagle (but not in a comp so it doesn't count)!
Flushing a 3 wood to a metre on the 4th at Woodford and sinking the putt for eagle, but it was Ambrose, so that doesn't count either.

Having 10 1 putts in a row at Wynnum and missing the 11th when my ball hit ALo's marker and jagging off line. ;-)

Playing Barnbougle.
Winning C-Grade matchplay at Caboolture in 2003.
Winning a monthly medal once.

Having a great time on the course, meeting new people and making new friends who I never would have met otherwise (including here)

Minor_Threat
17th April 2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply Scott my PC has been shitting itself. That Aussie Open was great, the course was playing very hard and fast though as you are probably aware. Very glad the 1st round was cancelled though. I was +7 through 10, just had a 5 putt for triple on the 10th hole and was heading to 11 which was causing all the problems..

I don't really know what they were thinking, the greens were all brown FFS?

oobsadd2
17th April 2009, 09:53 PM
Guy from our club was on the AGU and was at Victoria for that Aussie Open. I dont think it all went quite as planned. he he he.

Mayhem
22nd April 2009, 01:42 PM
Two for me.
I won my first comp two weeks ago. Two week nett comp. Won by 3ish
(Can't remember) after 3 putting the first 2 and missing a 5 foot bird in the third. PUTTING!!!!!!!!!!. I am now the Nuggetwest trophy champ.

I birdied the index 1 at Binningup and Glen Iris. Index 1's do my head in. It was nice to stick it up 'em for once.

ParMaster
22nd April 2009, 08:39 PM
No single moment for me but 2 of the best are:

Caddying for Aaron Pike in the British Open Qualifier with a crowd of about 500 people watching. Was a huge crowd because there was a guy in our group who was the youngest player ever to win on the Japanese Tour.

Also when i finished tied 12th in the Australian Junior Champioships at Alice Springs 2 weeks ago.

Scottt
22nd April 2009, 08:45 PM
Pity about the opening round 78.

ParMaster
22nd April 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah i just didn't have the speed of the greens that day.

ParMaster
22nd April 2009, 08:59 PM
OMG i can't believe i forgot this.

THE best golfing moment of my life was when i won a JNJGF even in memory of my dying aunty. She was on her deathbed and i promised to her i would win this tournament at Bathurst for her.

I was 5 shots behind the leader going into the last round. I got that back and i was 1 up on him after 9 holes. (Nobody else is in contention) I was 3 shots ahead with 2 to play and Ricky (my rival and good friend) got that back to just 2 shots ahead going into the last hole. I choked and made a 6. Ricky made a 4. So we ended up going into a playoff.

With the biggest crowd i've ever seen watch me play (pretty much everyone at the event. bout 200 people) i choked my drive right into the trees and made a 5. Ricky smashed his 1wd down the middle and missed the green to the left on his 2nd. FLubbed his chip and 2 putted. So we went to another hole.

We both hit the par 5 green in regulation and i had the advantage. Ricky had about a 15 foot putt which he left short. So i had a curly 8 footer for the win.

I sunk the putt and i (literally) broke down into tears. When we got home the day after the tournament i showed the trophie to my aunty.

She died the next day.:cry:

henno
22nd April 2009, 09:03 PM
I think you win. What a great story!

Grunt
22nd April 2009, 09:07 PM
Pm we have a lot in common, you swing like me, you played at Bathurst my home track, Scottt baits you.
Hey sing out if you are playing midweek comp at Oatlands (subject to me being off work)and I will have a game with you as Oatlands is a reciprocal club with Bathurst. That is if you will play with a hacker off 18.

Courty
22nd April 2009, 09:08 PM
Pm we have a lot in common, you swing like me, you played at Bathurst my home track, Scottt baits you.
Hey sing out if you are playing midweek comp at Oatlands (subject to me being off work)and I will have a game with you as Oatlands is a reciprocal club with Bathurst. That is if you will play with a hacker off 18.

I'd say it's a fair bet he can hold his piss as well as you, too. ;)

PM, how do you go at kelly pool? :lol:

ParMaster
22nd April 2009, 09:11 PM
And yes Courty i can as you say "hold piss" for extended periods of time. :)

WTH is kelly pool?

Scottt
22nd April 2009, 09:13 PM

Is this like when you tried to argue you and Aaron Baddeley had a lot in common :lol:

ParMaster
22nd April 2009, 09:15 PM
I see your point about the last thing in Scotts quote from your post. lol

Matt 3 Jab
22nd April 2009, 09:18 PM
realising there is more to playing good golf and shooting even par only means something to golfers ;)

other than that getting a few free rounds at the australian golf club, and having about 50 metres into the 7th hole. biggest drive ive ever hit. or driving within 10m's of cabramatta's 17th.

I guess i just like belting it long, and sometimes straight.

oh and the lindeberg blue pants i wore to cumberland and looking that good all day long, even when i was hitting it 20 metres left and right.

Scottt
22nd April 2009, 09:20 PM
Did you ever wear the LIndburg pants and red/white velcro golf shoes in tandem? Any woman within 100 metres would combust immediately upon seeing that combo! :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
22nd April 2009, 09:23 PM
no, but they are the best golf shoes ive ever worn.

My goal in golf now is to have the longest drive in 4b ambro's days and to have at least a laugh a hole.

C'mon the 12 handicap!

Scottt
22nd April 2009, 09:26 PM
You've given up playing in a Vardon event in a K-Mart shirt with GOLF embroidered on the chest - with or without two crossed clubs below it - and a Dunlop set that is removed from its cardboard box on the first tee, than carried for the round in said box?

I'm disappointed.

Matt 3 Jab
22nd April 2009, 10:02 PM
forgot about that, i'll have to join riverwood again, get down to scratch and do that when your over here.

Unpacking this on the 1st with all the gear.

https://www.austads.com/austads/assets/product_images/10036698.jpg

Ok, i'll aim for that.

markTHEblake
22nd April 2009, 11:28 PM
My no 1 highlight of all time was on the 188m par 3 at Horton Park, now the 16th hole. I hit a 3 iron to the centre of the green, about 20ft from the hole.

Might not seem such a memorable shot, but its my personal Hogan moment :)

Was the 33rd hole of the Junior championships. I birdied the previous to form a 4 way tie with the others in my group who were all big fellas they were all 1-2 clubs longer than me, one of them a 4 time club champion.

I had the honour, it was into the wind, I knew it was a 4W for me, and 3i for them. I decided hit a 3 iron myself to confuse their own club selection, and I hit that 3 iron as hard as I possibly could and flushed it perfectly.

They were all now in two minds, changed clubs, missed the green and made bogeys to my par. I then parred the remaining 3 holes to win by 1 stroke.

That weekend i hit the ball the best i have in my whole life. I discovered the 'secret' on friday night, and it lasted 3 days. :roll:

Mayhem
23rd April 2009, 12:18 AM
WTH is kelly pool?[/quote]

Great story about the play off holes etc. A great moment in golf. Reminds me of Allenby at the Aus Masters.

Kelly's......pick a number out of a hat. If that ball gets sunk you are out of the game. So sink everyone elses before yours goes down. Good idea to keep your number a secret too.

shavey
23rd April 2009, 01:05 PM
WTH is kelly pool?

Come to this years champs to find out :)

ParMaster
23rd April 2009, 01:14 PM
I propose you bring the champs to me. :)

Bruce
23rd April 2009, 02:06 PM
All games after the first one were of some bastardised version of the game. Who knows what the rules were after that.

Fatgoalie
5th May 2009, 05:59 PM
could have been, I caddied for an American called Pat Burke in the event. Top guy who finished around 20th whilst averaging 32 plus putts per round.

I think the winning score was +1

Burke never could putt! If I remember correctly, he had about 13 three putts!
What a dog:D

Scottt
5th May 2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome, Pat :D

Bruce Dickinson
5th May 2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome, Pat :D
or Pat's putting coach...

Scottt
5th May 2009, 06:44 PM
He's on another golf forum (that unless I am mistaken, you are also on, Bruce?). I was going to send him this link to see how it has stuck in blokes' minds what a champion bloke (but not putter :lol:) he was.

There's no higher praise, I think, than a dude you met 20 years ago remembering what a champion fella you were.

Between Pat Burke and Sergio Garcia, at least Pat's a good bloke :lol:

Jarro
5th May 2009, 07:22 PM
He's on another golf forum (that unless I am mistaken, you are also on, Bruce?). I was going to send him this link to see how it has stuck in blokes' minds what a champion bloke (but not putter :lol:) he was.

There's no higher praise, I think, than a dude you met 20 years ago remembering what a champion fella you were.

So you've met Sergio then have you ?

Scottt
5th May 2009, 07:31 PM
Hence the smiley, Jarro.

Bruce Dickinson
5th May 2009, 07:35 PM

We are Scott, Pat's a top bloke (laid back californian) who was a very good ball striker even spending a few years on the PGA Tour...was a pretty crap putter though :roll:

Scottt
5th May 2009, 07:50 PM
Love the reason for edit :lol:

razaar
5th May 2009, 07:54 PM
Sergio is a character. At the 2003 US Open I was on tee duty on 16th hole letting the groups into the tee area. I was talking to a couple of spectators when Sergio went through the rope gate. He must have heard my accent because he stopped and said "G'day mate" in his spanish accent. On his way back through the gate he said "No wucken forries, mate" and laughed. His caddy Glen Murray asked me where I was from and in turn said he was from Melbourne. Both Sergio and Glen were having a ball.

Mayhem
6th May 2009, 12:03 AM
Sergio is a character. At the 2003 US Open I was on tee duty on 16th hole letting the groups into the tee area. I was talking to a couple of spectators when Sergio went through the rope gate. He must have heard my accent because he stopped and said "G'day mate" in his spanish accent. On his way back through the gate he said "No wucken forries, mate" and laughed. His caddy Glen Murray asked me where I was from and in turn said he was from Melbourne. Both Sergio and Glen were having a ball.

Apparently the aussies have the best sense of humour on tour. I am so glad we can teach people not to take things too seriously.

New found respect for the serg

Fatgoalie
6th May 2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys, nothing could be more true
Somebody even remembering they caddied for me is surprising unless it's remembering
my club throwing talents.
Going to stay out of any Sergio comments for now!

Scottt
6th May 2009, 02:07 AM
My Sergio comment was not an intended serious dig at him. He was the first controversial personality + dud putter I thought of.

Good yarn here (http://www.pgatour.com/2009/tournaments/r011/04/29/garcia/index.html) on Sergio.

Johnston
6th May 2009, 04:05 PM
Scott, why do you have a blog about your journey? What journey are you on?

Moe Norman
6th May 2009, 08:20 PM
he's a global golfer Johnston!

henno
6th May 2009, 08:37 PM
Scott, why do you have a blog about your journey? What journey are you on?

It's a journey through time and space, to the world of the Mighty Scottt.

Johnston
7th May 2009, 12:24 AM
OK, trying to understand but I do not have a Diploma in anything.