PDA

View Full Version : I want a putter

The Walrus
15th April 2009, 12:07 PM
But I dont know where to begin!

So many available, so little time, so much Rudd money burning a hole!

I've decided that its about time I invested in a top draw putter. Everyone will have their favourites but I wondered if anyone had any good suggestions as to how I can narrow down my search. I prefer a mallet to a blade but center shafted or heel shafted both appeal to me...

I've tried the Odyssey/Ping webfit systems (are there any more online?) which has given me some suggestions but is it just a case of going to see my pro to get fitted and hit a few/a lot?

Cheers

razaar
15th April 2009, 01:19 PM
Here are a few things to consider when making a choice.
Head weight and shaft length. The longer the shaft the lighter the head and vice versa.
Material.
Carbon steel heads are usually milled and require maintenance to protect the finish from fertlizer & moisture.
Stainless steel heads are mostly cast. Some are milled, these are expensive. Some are cast with a milled face. They also require protection from fertilizer & moisture.
Copper & bronze heads are best left to oxidize and develop a patina. These can be cast or milled or like the SS cast with a milled face.
Milled faces on putters are considered to be the flatest surfaces. These come in agressive milling designs ranging down to faint milling marks. Others are linished smooth.
Some sites to look at:
http://tpmillsputters.com/default.aspx
http://www.bettinardi.com/
http://www.yesgolf.net.au/news/yes-golf-introduces-six-new-models-for-2008_1.html

andylo
15th April 2009, 04:01 PM
So razzar, are all good putters need maintenance?!!

is there anything requires NO maintenance but still top performance?

razaar
15th April 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes Andy the steel ones do. The experts recommend H4000 silicon spray. The penitrating oils can react to ferilizers which is a common substance in our sport. Some putters cost $$$ and are worth protecting, especially if one is in the habit of moving equipment. One serious collector of very expensive putters, rinses his gamer under very hot water when he gets home to remove any trace of ferilizer, drys the putter off & sprays the head and shaft with silicon. The people who buy his putters would appreciate his efforts.:)

henno
15th April 2009, 06:11 PM
I spray my putter head and shaft with silicon spray (or WD40 when I am lazy) every other round. 3oneday sold it to me in amazing condition, and I plan to keep it that way :-)

Johnny Canuck
15th April 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes Andy the steel ones do. The experts recommend H4000 silicon spray. The penitrating oils can react to ferilizers which is a common substance in our sport. Some putters cost $$$ and are worth protecting, especially if one is in the habit of moving equipment. One serious collector of very expensive putters, rinses his gamer under very hot water when he gets home to remove any trace of ferilizer, drys the putter off & sprays the head and shaft with silicon. The people who buy his putters would appreciate his efforts.:)

Can you pick this spray up at your local Bunnings? Might take good care of my new baby.

henno
15th April 2009, 06:43 PM
Silicon spray is available everywhere. Supercheap Auto, Autobarn, Bunnings, any hardware...

Usually about twice the price of WD40, which is still stuff all compared to a rusted putter.

acem8
15th April 2009, 07:08 PM
Have a go with the Odyssey 2 ball SRT. I hated the original 2 ball and then I started struggling with my Scotty Red X so picked up a 33" one on the cheap on Ebay. Really impressed with it 12 months later. Find it really stable and balanced. There seem to be plenty in the sale at the moment, you could buy around 6 of them with Kev's dosh!

Dazza
15th April 2009, 07:22 PM
I'm with ace. I had the Tri-ball SRT putter for a while, fantastic bit of gear.
Length of shaft had a big impact, went from a 35" to 33" & almost halved my putts.
The wife stole that, and I've since got an Itsy Bitsy Spider. Working well so far.
Puts a great roll on the ball.

simmsy
15th April 2009, 07:45 PM
soooooo many choices for sure walrus!!!
in my seach last year I was looking for a mallet style and got down to an odysee 2 ball CS and a Ping Craz-e CS. I ended up picking up a craz-e G2i on this site for a very good price. Best putter ever had. can't remember my last 3 putt. Both of these are worth looking at imo.

AlexMc
15th April 2009, 08:10 PM
Anybody had a try of a Scotty Squareback yet? Kinda wish I waited (I have a Newport 1) but I got it from the states when the dollar was way up. By the time the Squareback came out the dollar had crashed.

I used to use a 2 ball which I hated. I've just started using a Detour Newport 2.5 which I'm loving. I see the benefit in the concept but it really has to be the right putter for you...

Iain
15th April 2009, 08:13 PM
Braddles has probably got one you can buy!!! :mrgreen:

braddles
15th April 2009, 08:16 PM
Braddles has probably got one you can buy!!! :mrgreen:

I have a couple, but a conservative 6/10 Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 is going cheap!

gazgolf1
15th April 2009, 08:32 PM
Check out the Ping IWI range, you can change the weights in the sole to suit your stroke and the steel insert in the face puts an awesome roll on the ball.

jd_FRANK
15th April 2009, 10:49 PM
I've been using a Rife "Aussie" for a couple of months that I have found to be fanastically balanced and well-weighted. The Aussie is a blade model but Rife also do some mallet models like the Two Bar and the Barbados. All are great looking putters IMO

The Walrus
18th April 2009, 08:41 AM
What do people think of the Yes C Groove technology? Does it genuinely provide an advantage or is it marketing talk?

If its good then does it mean that Yes is further advanced than say Rife, Ping or Odyssey?

razaar
18th April 2009, 09:13 AM
IMO it is marketing hype. the C grooves are only milling grooves and would have little impact on roll, its the 2 degree loft of a Yes putter that has an influence. Most putters have 4 degree loft. Not sure if 2 degrees is good for longer grass.

The Walrus
18th April 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Razaar

And what do you think about these inserts? I prefer the look of the putters without it but having not tried one I dont know the feel. I'm having a putter fitting next week so want to get as much info as I can before I have to make my decision...also I want to get some opinions ahead of trying out the different options, but I'm never influenced by opinions and will make up my own mind, I just find it helps to know what others think!

TheNuclearOne
18th April 2009, 08:02 PM
IMO it is marketing hype. the C grooves are only milling grooves and would have little impact on roll, its the 2 degree loft of a Yes putter that has an influence. Most putters have 4 degree loft. Not sure if 2 degrees is good for longer grass.

The 2 degree's can come into play if you like putting from off the green a bit.

razaar
18th April 2009, 08:16 PM
The 2 degree's can come into play if you like putting from off the green a bit.
Why would this be?

razaar
18th April 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Razaar

I want to get some opinions ahead of trying out the different options, but I'm never influenced by opinions and will make up my own mind, I just find it helps to know what others think!
One of the things about putters is they have a vertical sweet spot (centre of gravity) as well as a horizontal CG. With some putters this point is low on the face, which requires the sole to be well off the grund to strike the CG of the ball with the CG of the putter. One of the important aspects of putting is to always hit the sweet spot in order to have good distance control.
A ball is 1.68 ins in diameter, the face of most putters are seldom higher than 1 inch, so if the sweet spot is dead centre on the face, the putter sole will need to be .3 inch above the ground at point of contact to hit the sweet spot. If the CG is lower on the face then the sole will need to be raised higher.
Most golfers have the putter resting on the ground or brushing the ground at address; not many have the putter well off the ground when they putt.
Therefore it stands to reason that a putter with a high CG would be the way to go if you have a low putting stroke. Worth considering.:)

adlo
18th April 2009, 08:42 PM
razaar, you are a barrel of laughs :)

razaar
18th April 2009, 08:44 PM
laughter is food for the soul, happy to help out.:)

The Walrus
18th April 2009, 09:39 PM
Very interesting Razaar, and very appreciated!

I picked up Golf Digest today with a review of the latest putters, so will read with interest ahead of my fitting next week.

In your opinion, as regards materials, is there anything to avoid? Regardless of feel and aesthetics and how much I might like using a putter, if the materials used to make it are poor or difficult to keep in good order I wouldnt want it. I want a putter to last for years, not for financial reasons but because I want it to become and extension of my arms, long term!

Cheers

TheNuclearOne
18th April 2009, 09:47 PM
Why would this be?

Same reason you said you weren't sure if it was good for longer grass.

razaar
19th April 2009, 09:04 AM
Very interesting Razaar, and very appreciated!

I want a putter to last for years, not for financial reasons but because I want it to become and extension of my arms, long term!

Cheers
The putters that seem to last forever are those with a stainless steel, copper or bronze head. One of my regular playing partners, who I consider to be the best putter I have ever played with, has only played with the same putter, a SS Wilson 8813 (Australian model), since he first started golf at 15; he is now 54. Carbon steel heads require vigilence to keep the finish. Material inserts are relatively new so the jury is out on their longivity. The main thing is to buy a putter that feels absolutely right in your hands, you will know when you feel it. Try the sticks of all your golfing mates and others as well besides the golf stores and pro shops.

Baz
19th April 2009, 10:39 AM
What do people think of the Yes C Groove technology? Does it genuinely provide an advantage or is it marketing talk?

If its good then does it mean that Yes is further advanced than say Rife, Ping or Odyssey?
I'v been using a yes putter for some time (the Natalie model) and liked the roll the c grooves do help. having said that I just swapped it for one of Gary Cozers Tom Wishon putters which I like even more; different groove pattern but the ball rolls very nicely

Jarro
19th April 2009, 10:48 AM
I want a 2-ball putter again :(

gazgolf1
19th April 2009, 11:14 AM
Walrus seriously try one of these.

http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=3718&tid=326

Make sure you click on all IWI series putters.

I thought they were a gimmick at first but the technology is great and they are quality product with awesome feel as well.

The Walrus
20th April 2009, 05:55 PM
Cheers Gaz

They are on my list but I'm not sure about the inserts yet and I'm wondering about the point of the extra weights. I mean if you have a putter you like the weight of why would you want to change it? Not to mention that its additional cost!

The old Craze doesnt have an insert so thats high on the list but everyone raves about the Odyssey's so much that you have to try them! 2Ball and Sabertooth was suggested on their webfit system

AlexMc
22nd April 2009, 08:02 PM
Brand new Scotty Squareback for $400. Good deal or not?

The Walrus
24th April 2009, 03:28 PM
I had a putter fitting this week and after much arsing about have pinpointed the Ping Zing from teh Karsten series as my preferred choice... I'm going to test it again tomorrow before taking the plunge but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions or have that putter?

backintheswing
24th April 2009, 05:13 PM
I have one that I have advertised for sale in the pro shop here. It is 35", Black Dot.

Its like brand new. Used around 4 times on the course. I have gone to a Ping Craz-E. Send me a PM if you want it.

Tongueboy
24th April 2009, 05:24 PM
i have got a ping pal 2, a scotty cameron newport 2,a diawa blade and the latest edition a wilson 8802! the 8802 feels almost carnal!! what a putter.

The Walrus
25th April 2009, 11:07 AM
Would anyone know what the difference is between the Karste Zing putter and the Redwood Zing? I realise cost and as a result something about the quality or and design, but what exactly? Is it worth spending more for the Redwood or am I just kidding myself?

gazgolf1
25th April 2009, 12:19 PM
Would anyone know what the difference is between the Karste Zing putter and the Redwood Zing? I realise cost and as a result something about the quality or and design, but what exactly? Is it worth spending more for the Redwood or am I just kidding myself?

Just got rid of a Redwood for the IWI Zing and having putted with a Karsten in a shop the Redwood feels softer.
The Karsten is constructed from 17-4 stainless steel and the Redwood is milled from 303 stainless steel.....whatever that means.
It all comes down to whether you can feel the difference and if it bothers you.

The Walrus
25th April 2009, 12:44 PM
Cheers Gaz

Been reading up and basically its different/better steel and better made. I guess you get what you pay for? Karsten = $170 Redwood = $395! What did you sell yours for?

gazgolf1
25th April 2009, 02:04 PM
Cheers Gaz

Been reading up and basically its different/better steel and better made. I guess you get what you pay for? Karsten = $170 Redwood = $395! What did you sell yours for?

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12949&highlight=ping

It went for $170 shipped.

BTW why are you paying retail prices?

The Walrus
25th April 2009, 04:19 PM
LOL....I generally dont but I've had a lot of help from my pro with putter selection and I do like to support the course a bit. I got my Ping irons from him for a fantastic price 12 months ago and he does look after me, so just returning a bit of the good will!

gazgolf1
25th April 2009, 08:25 PM
LOL....I generally dont but I've had a lot of help from my pro with putter selection and I do like to support the course a bit. I got my Ping irons from him for a fantastic price 12 months ago and he does look after me, so just returning a bit of the good will!

fair enough. :)

razaar
26th April 2009, 09:47 AM
The Karsten is constructed from 17-4 stainless steel and the Redwood is milled from 303 stainless steel.....whatever that means.

The Karsten is a cast putter (17-4 is extremely hard) the Redwood is milled from 303 which is a softer metal.

punchtheballout
27th April 2009, 03:38 AM
Here are a few things to consider when making a choice.
Head weight and shaft length. The longer the shaft the lighter the head and vice versa.
Material.
Carbon steel heads are usually milled and require maintenance to protect the finish from fertlizer & moisture.
Stainless steel heads are mostly cast. Some are milled, these are expensive. Some are cast with a milled face. They also require protection from fertilizer & moisture.
Copper & bronze heads are best left to oxidize and develop a patina. These can be cast or milled or like the SS cast with a milled face.
Milled faces on putters are considered to be the flatest surfaces. These come in agressive milling designs ranging down to faint milling marks. Others are linished smooth.

Some sites to look at:
http://tpmillsputters.com/default.aspx
http://www.bettinardi.com/
http://www.yesgolf.net.au/news/yes-golf-introduces-six-new-models-for-2008_1.html

I suggest you go for ping putters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love their new lineup....
Nike also makes good putters, i read there's this new golf equipment site http://budurl.com/hurricanegolf , i bought my nike leo putter for around 80 dollars there last week8-)... good luck

giddyupgaz
27th April 2009, 09:06 AM
Not a thread-jack but has anyone else purchased from Hurricane Golf yet?

The Walrus
27th April 2009, 07:19 PM
After trying out loads of putters I went for a conservative purchase and got the Ping Zing from the Karsten series. I was torn between a couple of others but as I'm still unsure of my exact style I thought I'd go for a cheaper traditional option and see how that pans out....If I enjoy it as much as I have so far then I might use it forever or maybe get Oldmannoodles mate to make bespoke version for me!

Beetle34
27th April 2009, 11:04 PM
Have a go with the Odyssey 2 ball SRT. I hated the original 2 ball and then I started struggling with my Scotty Red X so picked up a 33" one on the cheap on Ebay. Really impressed with it 12 months later. Find it really stable and balanced. There seem to be plenty in the sale at the moment, you could buy around 6 of them with Kev's dosh!

Yeah i agree, I was a bit dubious at first with the 2 ball SRT having come from old blade putters but it is an easy putter to use once you get used to it.