PDA

View Full Version : Par events

Scottt
14th April 2009, 10:55 PM
Why do people hate them?

The most common response I hear is that you are robbed of four pointers that are merely +1s, but conversely, your wipes are only -1s.

I'd hazard a guess that most golfers have more wipes than four pointers while playing stableford.

There has to be more to it than that, surely?

I actually quite like them. No less than stableford, anyway.

markTHEblake
14th April 2009, 11:40 PM
Why do people hate them?

because they dont understand the format.

mike
15th April 2009, 12:26 AM
The one and only par event (they call it VSS here) I've ever played I played a blinder . Ended up +1. Stableford score would've been 40. Had 4 birds on holes I had a shot.

That's why.

Scottt
15th April 2009, 12:34 AM
and I suppose -4 or 28pts - it's still +0.1 on the hcp. But a 40 pointer that ends up +1 stops you losing say 0.8 and means you only get cut 0.2.

Where are you living, Mike?

mike
15th April 2009, 12:37 AM
Half way between Julie and Courty.

Scottt
15th April 2009, 12:56 AM
Ahh, right :lol: when you said it had a different name where you were I thought you were OS.

adlo
15th April 2009, 02:43 AM
I don't mind them, but the main reason I prefer stableford is the satisfaction of being able to grind out a point if you are having an average hole.

With par, on holes you don't get a shot, you pick up as soon as you don't get your par. It is boring and you miss the fun of trying to sink a long bogey putt (or similar) to get on the scorecard.

Andrew
15th April 2009, 05:45 AM
I don't mind them, but generally only get to play them when I am in Melbourne. For some reason they play plenty of them down there, but we play so few of them in Sydney. I guess it's just a Mars/Venus thing.

Dotty
15th April 2009, 07:25 AM
Remind me not to get caught behind those grinding it out for a single point. (That's why we tend to get a few par comps in the middle of winter.)

Personally, I like par, in that the peaks and troughs are removed, needing solid scoring all the way through, rather than a hoping for a couple of late birdies.

Also tends to encourage risk-reward recovery shots and strong putts (when playing ordinary), without the worry of risking a 1-pointer in stab. or a snowman in stroke.

Sydney Hacker
15th April 2009, 07:32 AM
I am a fan of them as well.

Probably one of the main reasons is it is a quicker round, with guys not struggling for one point and less people seem to play them at my club so you don't get caught behind people as much.

Julie
15th April 2009, 07:57 AM
I quite like them as well, especially as it keeps the field moving - if you don't make your 2 pointer, pickup and move on.8)

Dotty
15th April 2009, 07:59 AM
When I go out for a game of golf I want a full game not 3/4 of a game.
When I'm having a chop theres nothing worse than picking up 200m from the hole.
That explains '36 holes without a 3 putt'. You've only putted out 14 times. ;)

BrisVegas
15th April 2009, 09:26 AM
I don't mind vs Par. We have one once a month and it's the only comp I have won recently. I think of it like matchplay vs the golf course.

grandmasterb
15th April 2009, 09:53 AM
Main reason i dont like par events is that there is no real reward for playing good golf except a +

I played one a few months ago and was hitting the ball solid all day ending with +6 but looking at the scorecard just didn't seem as satisfying as if i looked at the card and saw a 75.

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

razaar
15th April 2009, 10:14 AM
I think of it like matchplay vs the golf course.
That's it in a nut shell...you already know what the opponent's score is on each hole.

sms316
15th April 2009, 10:19 AM
I think high markers tend to hate par more than low markers. Although most golfers have selective memory in regards to remembering the number of 4 pointers v 0 pointers.

On a side note - I have played a bisque par off plus one. Didn't take Einstein to work out when I would choose to give one away - the first hole I made a bogey on.

BrisVegas
15th April 2009, 10:21 AM
On a side note - I have played a bisque par off plus one. Didn't take Einstein to work out when I would choose to give one away - the first hole I made a bogey on.
on a side note side note.... with bisque, do you choose before or after the hole where the shots are taken (or given in your case) ?

I haven't played a bisque since I was a teenager and have forgotten the rules.

sms316
15th April 2009, 10:25 AM
It varies from club to club. Most choose after the completion of the hole, but before teeing off on the next hole.

Prick of a game. Massively favours high handicappers.

markTHEblake
15th April 2009, 06:45 PM
thats the funniest thing i have heard you say!

cos before i finished reading the sentence i instinctively was thinking first birdie :shock:

I haven't played a Bisque since i was about 23 (handicap), I might suggest it at my club.

Yeah it is an advantage for high handicappers, but only if they know how to play it. Most try to conserve their handicap and foolishly dont get to use them all.

Scottt
15th April 2009, 06:45 PM
before i finished reading the sentence i instinctively was thinking first birdie :shock:

Me too :oops:

sms316
15th April 2009, 06:47 PM
thats the funniest thing i have heard you say!

cos before i finished reading the sentence i instinctively was thinking first birdie :shock:

Me too :oops:
Hmmm, perhaps I'm a bit smarter than some people give me credit for...
:lol:

sms316
15th April 2009, 06:49 PM
I haven't played a Bisque since i was about 23 (handicap), I might suggest it at my club.

Yeah it is an advantage for high handicappers, but only if they know how to play it. Most try to conserve their handicap and foolishly dont get to use them all.
Best time to play it is straight after coring the greens. You can't get handicapped on it, yet it is still an individual game. Take it for what it is - a novelty event.

markTHEblake
15th April 2009, 07:02 PM
best way to play the bisque is too use all your shots to get a plus on every hole until you run out. (obviously you will take the wipe if you make double/triple handicap depending)

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 07:24 PM
I really like Par, you just have to play it properly.

Like Vegas, I treat it as matchplay vs the course

Scottt
15th April 2009, 07:25 PM
It seems to me lower handicappers are more likely to like par.

jimandr
15th April 2009, 08:18 PM
I hate par events for two reasons.

Firstly, it is so much harder to recover from a bad start. Once you are three down your game is shot. I never seem to be 3 up anymore, so I don't enjoy the benefit of it being harder to destroy a good score with a late collapse.

But the main reason is that it is such an unforgiving game. Every short putt for a square seems much more important, and a 3 putt bogey scores exactly the same as if you hit two tee shots OOB.

For me, par just isn't as much fun as stableford or stroke.

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 09:21 PM
do you like matchplay?

markTHEblake
15th April 2009, 09:24 PM
This thread reminds me of Battlestar Galactica

mikezone13
15th April 2009, 09:35 PM
The only problem comparing match play to par, is that you can't win a hole with a double in Par, can you Dotty? ;)

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 09:40 PM
it's matchplay, but you already know your opponents score.

If you play off 19 you can halve a hole with a double!

jaybam
15th April 2009, 09:48 PM
Have not played too many of these. Windaroo had one in the time i was there and didnt recall playing in one at carbrook either. Social club used to play one or two a year when i was younger though.

mikezone13
15th April 2009, 09:50 PM
it's matchplay, but you already know your opponents score.

If you play off 19 you can halve a hole with a double!

Just another reason for the maximum allowable handicap to be 18 for men under 60 years of age ;)

Getting 5 points for a birdie is just wrong, or a plus for a bogey...

dc68
15th April 2009, 10:17 PM
V Par sux.

Reason: I don't like it.

Dotty
16th April 2009, 12:01 AM
The only problem comparing match play to par, is that you can't win a hole with a double in Par, can you Dotty? ;)
I thought we were keeping quiet about this hole. :wink:

btw. If you are going to lose a ball on a hole, lose it where it crossed the hazard line beside the green, and not in the middle of the rough, 250m from where you teed off.

ps. Is this the hole where Grunt had the classic commentary ? 'Sit! Sit! Sit! ... Shit!'

Lucasto23
19th April 2009, 12:47 AM
i love this game as it really gets you focusing on making pars if your a mid handicapper and you can just play simple golf instead of think of the next birdie and so on which just gets you in trouble.

Dotty
28th April 2009, 10:51 PM
Just been looking at GolfLink. Interestingly, 9 games of par in the last 12 months ...

0, +2, +3, 0, +1, -8, +4, +1, +3

and only 1 round worse than handicap. (I suspect a wet day or just didn't care).

idgolfguy
28th April 2009, 11:17 PM
I like Par as I seem to do reasonably well at it. Used to hate it when I was above 20 HC. Since I have got down to mid-teens I seem to be more successful. Like stableford, I don't get penalised for doubles and triples.

It also reminds me of playing matchplay which I enjoy.

kpac
28th August 2010, 08:57 AM
Anyone able to give me a quick "de-brief" of vs par bisque???

I'm playing in a Vs Par Bisque at 11, and in an attempt not to sound like a numptie to this bloke that's taking me, i just agreed - giving the impression i knew what such a comp was.... got no idea!!

Daves
28th August 2010, 09:02 AM
Anyone able to give me a quick "de-brief" of vs par bisque???

I'm playing in a Vs Par Bisque at 11, and in an attempt not to sound like a numptie to this bloke that's taking me, i just agreed - giving the impression i knew what such a comp was.... got no idea!!

Hi kpac,

you get to choose what holes you use your handicap on, otherwise the same as a normal par event.

http://theplayersclub.org.au/Guide/Club%20Comps.htm

"Par Bisque
As in "par" but handicap strokes may be taken as a player decides, up to the maximum of his handicap. The decision about the number of handicap strokes to take and the resultant score is made at the end of each hole and before play on the next hole is commenced."

So if you have a bad hole you can save your shots up and vice versa if you have birdie on a hole you have a shot on, you don't need to use it and can save it for later. The trick is not to finish with shots left over.

kpac
28th August 2010, 09:23 AM
Cheers daves! sounds actually pretty good... we'll soon see

Webster
28th August 2010, 09:46 AM
What is more humiliating - having 29 points or finishing 7 down?

markTHEblake
28th August 2010, 10:04 AM
The trick is not to finish with shots left over.
[/FONT]

This is a great event, should be more of them.

most people tend to try to save shots for the end, you are much better off using your shots as early as possible. So if you are on a h/cap say 12 or less, use a single shot on every hole until you run out, but take a wipe if you have a double.

adlo
28th August 2010, 12:28 PM

Finishing 7 down.

sms316
28th August 2010, 12:43 PM
Being a Broncos supporter.

PeteyD
28th August 2010, 12:49 PM
Always thought on PAr Bisque, start on the back nine if you can, and score on every hole. Takes countback nicely!

idgolfguy
1st September 2010, 09:51 PM

That is better than what I've been playing to of late.

mUTHA
2nd September 2010, 10:15 AM
i dont mind a par round.

its generally quick. although i dont score alot.

normall end up in the neg's. but i like the idea.