PDA

View Full Version : DG SL's

acem8
14th April 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi guys, new to the forums today.

I'm thinking of changing the DG S300 shafts in my MP33's. A combination of a) having the wrong flex in the first place b) getting old and c) getting worse, has led me think about putting in the DG SL R300's. Does anybody have any experience of them?

The shaft in my TM rescue fairway is 95g and looks very much like a Dynalite Gold SL. I hit it wonderfully and use it far more than I should. It is a stiff but I believe the Dynalite's are slightly softer and a higher launch. Would I be better getting these in my irons as well or would I lose accuracy and possibly get ballooning with the short irons? There must be a reason why the DG's are 50% more expensive.

BrisVegas
14th April 2009, 02:49 PM
I went to DG Superlites this time around for all the reasons you listed.... ie. getting old, worse & tired at the end of a round. I am really happy with them. they still have a nice swingweight, so it doesn't feel like you're swinging graphites and the ballflight is the same as I had with normal DGs.

AndyP
14th April 2009, 02:49 PM
Although I've never purchased them, I've noticed that the Dynalite Golds SLs aren't as easy to find in online stores as the Dynamic Gold SLs are, particularly in Australia.

I was recommended the Dynalites by a club fitter, but would consider the Dynamics as they are easier to get a hold of.

Chris32
14th April 2009, 02:58 PM
I have played DG SL R300's for about a year now in a set of 755's

Can't complain about them really, about the only thing I have found is they do play a little stiffer than DG R300's, but that was what I wanted anyway.

I've played S300's, PX 5.5, TX-90 and a few others I can't remember and I like the SL's the best, good feel and decent ball flight

Wouldn't get them in your wedges though, I tried it and they felt dead

acem8
14th April 2009, 03:25 PM
That is what I suspected. I am going from an S300 to an R300 so the change in stiffness should be ok. I have Nippon 950's in my wedges so i'll probably leave them as they are. My biggest issue is getting more consistency out of the mid irons.

BrisVegas
14th April 2009, 03:32 PM
i dont understand why you'd go to a Reg flex AND a lighter weight shaft. I'd have thought the Reg flex would be less consistent than Stiff flex. The lighter weight will allow you to swing them more easily anyway.

disclaimer - I'm just a golfer, not a professional clubfitter though....

razaar
14th April 2009, 03:36 PM
It is my understanding that the "Gold" tag in True Temper shafts costs the consumer 50% more than the shafts with only the S300, R300 etc. True Temper sort their shafts into weights, the heaviest being S500 (maybe that has changed) ranging down to whatever S,R,A,L. The "Gold" shafts have been sorted into subgrades from "100 to 500". TT doesn't flex test their shafts but relies on the weight of the shaft to arrive at a flex. There may be a big difference in the flex of a Dynalite Gold S300 and a Dynamic Gold S300 - I seem to recall that the Dynalites are stiffer in all categories than their equivaent in the Dynamics. Virge would be able to give a more concise explanation of the differences.

acem8
14th April 2009, 03:42 PM
The spec for these suggests a 5 iron carry of 165 - 185 yards. I hit a 5 iron 175 yards so I guess they are the ones. I'm just having problems lately blocking it and hitting it a bit low. I'm thinking the lighter weight will increase the swing speed and hit the ball slightly higher and the reg flex will make them more playable. They go fine when I put a perfect swing on it but that isn't happening too often right now!

Chris32
14th April 2009, 04:12 PM
I've always found that I hit DG shafts very similar in terms of distance, just that X goes a bit low, stiff a little higher and reg a bit higher again. Distance wise they are all pretty similar for me. Forgiveness wise, its a similar scale for me, with the R300's being a fraction longer on mis-hits.

I found the SL's in reg gave me the ball-flight of between stiff and reg, but just felt a fraction lighter (as they should)

acem8
14th April 2009, 07:16 PM
On a similar topic I also have a DG S300 in my Titleist 980 3 wood which I have been using fairly successfully for a few years. Thinking of going lighter to graphite though and have the Proforce V2 in my driver which I love. I'm considering the Irod in my 3 wood which seems to be popular. Any thoughts?

virge666
14th April 2009, 07:38 PM
If you want some cheap super lites - stay tuned. Be about $120-$130.

My KBS tours just arrived. :) :) :)

SL are a mid launch lighter shaft, the higher launch comes from the lightness other than the kick point.

Designed for people who want a bit more club head speed without sending it into the stratosphere.

henno
14th April 2009, 07:48 PM
My KBS tours just arrived. :) :) :)

I thought you liked a lighter shaft? KBS Tours are supposed to be the business, but they are surely heavier than the SLs and N.S. Pros. :?

(As usual, I haven't checked my facts, just making wild assumptions)

mikezone13
14th April 2009, 08:21 PM
Now I'm someone wanting to go the other way. When I got the Wishons with the DGSL S300 in them the drop in weight (from DG S300) was great.

But I now I think it's time to go back to a heavier or different shaft - basically I'm hunting for perfection without a map though ;)

virge666
14th April 2009, 09:20 PM
I thought you liked a lighter shaft? KBS Tours are supposed to be the business, but they are surely heavier than the SLs and N.S. Pros. :?

Always have - loved TX90, SL, NS 1050.

Was going to go for the KBS tour 90 - but thought "f*ck it", what is the worse thing that can happen. Spend $40 a shaft and lose $140 on the resale in 2 months.

Oh yeah . . . thats what can happen.

Also going back to S300 9iron shafts in my wedges.

haysey
14th April 2009, 09:29 PM
Always have - loved TX90, SL, NS 1050.

Was going to go for the KBS tour 90 - but thought "f*ck it", what is the worse thing that can happen. Spend $40 a shaft and lose $140 on the resale in 2 months.

Oh yeah . . . thats what can happen.

Also going back to S300 9iron shafts in my wedges.

You won't lose Virge. They're a fantastic shaft:smt023

TourFit
16th April 2009, 08:28 PM
I have found a number of things regarding the DG SL's :

They are NOT like the Dynamic Gold Lites...which were NOTHING like a Dynamic Gold at all and caused more problems than they solved...an X flex DG Lite played like an R300 DG !!!!
They ARE very similar to the DG's... the weight is 20% less. Ball flight and even step pattern is the same...the tip section is just as stiff and any differences in impact "feel" is going to be solely down to slightly thinner walls and how that affects vibration.
That makes the DG SL great for over std length clubs (due to excessive swingweight when using the heavy DG).
They are 'generally' more suited to a wider variety of average players than the DG's (which in reality suit very few golfers...).
and Dynalite SL's :

Dynalites in general suit FAR more players than DG (std weight or SL's!!).
Softer tip sections give a smoother feel and make it easier to get the ball on a more suitable trajectory for average swingspeed players.
Because of the nature of the shaft design the Dynalites (either std weight or SL's play softer in flex relative to the same DG/DG SL across the board - ie a Dynalite Gold SL R300 DOES play softer than a DG SL R300).
There has been a lot of kudos for the Nippon NS Pro's (950's and 1050's) on this site - the Dynalites are closer to the feel / playability of the Nippons than ANY DG...
There 'should' be no big cost difference between DG SL's and Dynalite SL's but both are more expensive than their heavier siblings (Dynamic Gold's and Dynalite Golds)...

AndyP
16th April 2009, 08:49 PM
There 'should' be no big cost difference between DG SL's and Dynalite SL's but both are more expensive than their heavier siblings (Dynamic Gold's and Dynalite Golds)...They have typically been the same when I looked.

virge666
17th April 2009, 10:56 AM
They have typically been the same when I looked.

Looking in the wrong place.

DGS300 are way cheaper than either SL.

AndyP
17th April 2009, 11:18 AM
I was comparing Dynalite SLs to DG SLs.

andylo
17th April 2009, 01:37 PM
TourFit, how about Black Gold in compare of the shaft you mention above?

acem8
18th April 2009, 06:35 PM
Big dilemma now. Dynamic Gold SL R300 or Dynalite Gold SL S300? Penetrating flight of the DG or higher launch of the Dynalite? I played off 5 a couple of years ago in the UK but now I'm shooting low to mid 80's. I'm starting to hit my irons a lot lower and losing distance, I only hit my 7 iron around 135m.

I tried some Callaways a while back with the Uniflex shaft and hit them well. I believe they are a lightweight high launch shaft.

I guess I will have to buy 1 of each and re-shaft my 6 & 7 irons and head down the range. Wasting 1 shaft and grip is better than wasting 8.

TourFit
21st April 2009, 02:35 PM
The Black Gold's are a different kettle of fish than the DG SL's....

They are 'newer' shafts to compare and compete with the heavier, stiffer playing tour type shafts such as Project X, KBS Tours, Dynamic Golds, Apollo Hump etc etc. From testing I found them to be a very stout shaft. I would say that the Black Gold 'S' would be equivalent to the Project X 5.5 (with a different feel of course).

True Temper brought them out to compete with PX while Royal Precision was still "alive"...then they bought them out. Black Gold has sold nowhere near as well as the PX though. Having said that there are quite a few tour players that use the Black Gold in their clubs.

Jarro
1st July 2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned earlier, but how do the KBS Tours compare to DGSL shafts ?

I'm after a lighter version of what i have now (DGS300's) I have no trouble getting the ball airborne ... i like the flight of the DGS300's .... but i want a lighter weight shaft that won't knacker me out during a round.

3oneday
1st July 2009, 11:56 AM
Jono tried KBS tour 90's in my old Pings I thought ? Haven't heard anything nice from him since.

BrisVegas
1st July 2009, 12:09 PM
i'm pretty sure this has been covered a bajillion times jarro..... If you like what a DG does but want a lighter shaft, then get the DG Superlites..... I'll lend you mine for a while if you wanna try them. I can't play for shit at the moment anyway.

Captain Nemo
1st July 2009, 12:13 PM
I went to DG Superlites this time around for all the reasons you listed.... ie. getting old, worse & tired at the end of a round. I am really happy with them. they still have a nice swingweight, so it doesn't feel like you're swinging graphites and the ballflight is the same as I had with normal DGs.

I had the Dynamic Gold SL's 300's in my old 762's, loved them, worse decision ever in selling those old puppy's!

Jarro
1st July 2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah thanks Dion.

I was actually going to try and gun for the softer flex regs in the DGSL's too.

Hux
1st July 2009, 08:42 PM
i'm pretty sure this has been covered a bajillion times jarro..... If you like what a DG does but want a lighter shaft, then get the DG Superlites..... I'll lend you mine for a while if you wanna try them. I can't play for shit at the moment anyway.

Those lessons don't sound like they are paying dividends Dion?

However, I am in a similar boat and without lessons. Daylight is too short for practice so its hi ho hi ho and SFA for me at present until the rushed attempt to play on the weekend on a sodden course because the #$_#$&_ drought finally broke in a big way.

BrisVegas
1st July 2009, 08:50 PM
Those lessons don't sound like they are paying dividends Dion?

not the fault of the lessons. I have tried to make changes without practicing anything at the range.