PDA

View Full Version : Hip Rotation

JKA
13th April 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips on hip rotation. My initial movement on my down swing has my hips sliding left instead of rotating which I guess is getting me ahead of the ball giving me the cut I have off the tee.

So, does anyone have any hints / drill tips that will help me rotate instead of slide?

Cheers
John

henno
13th April 2009, 04:30 PM
Oooh. I think it would be prudent of me to watch this thread with much interest.

senecio
13th April 2009, 04:32 PM
+1 for the keen watchers.

Guilty as charged.:oops:

adlo
13th April 2009, 04:35 PM
Virge should have some good tips, he always has good things to say about hip rotation.

Keen to see what unfolds here too...

PeteyD
13th April 2009, 04:47 PM
From what I understand the idea is to rotate into (or over) the right hip on back swing, and then into the left hip on swing. If you do this I don't think you have to worry about weight shift and all that other crap as it happens as part of the process. Hogan talked about it in 5 lessons.

Scottt
13th April 2009, 05:05 PM
A mental image Virge gave me was to get my right hip over my left foot. I like to feel like I am firing my right buttock towards the left foot.

razaar
13th April 2009, 05:49 PM
http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12927&page=2
See post #38

u8ergolfer
13th April 2009, 06:54 PM
PUt a vid up and lets have a look at it..sliding could be coming from a few things. Generally though, it has the effect of allowing space for your hands/ arms to drop into a hitting position from the top, but I'll stay uncommitted till I see..

If its is a result of the swing there is genreally a cause of it, so there is a/ some compensation move(s) happening along the way...

Hard to talk about til you can video it

virge666
13th April 2009, 06:59 PM
So, does anyone have any hints / drill tips that will help me rotate instead of slide?

Cheers
John

Right hip goes around the left hip with the upper body following.
Club is always on front of the chest for the entire swing.

That is pretty much what i follow.

senecio
14th April 2009, 05:59 AM
A mental image Virge gave me was to get my right hip over my left foot. I like to feel like I am firing my right buttock towards the left foot.

I don't normally have any problems getting my right hip over my left foot. Its just that my hips are still parallel to my feet when I do it.

razaar
14th April 2009, 06:31 AM
From my observations of all the top pro swings they manage to turn their hips to 30 - 45 degress to target while their shoulders are tilted and square to the target. Its as if the hips pause or slow down at this point and speed up again when the releasing right side powers them (the hips) around until they stop over the braced left leg facing the target or left of the target. This 30 -45* point is when the forces on the body are changing the hip/body angle which was established at address. The simplest way to achieve this without getting spinning hips (when the hips get too far ahead of the shoulders and sever the link with the shoulders) is to have the right heel follow the leftward movement of the left knee at the start of the downswing. Its a power move common to all the great swings.

virge666
14th April 2009, 07:45 AM
is to have the right heel follow the leftward movement of the left knee at the start of the downswing. Its a power move common to all the great swings.

That pretty much is gold right there.

JKA
14th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the tips folks.

Camera is on the blink just now but will get some footage up asap so you can sort me out.

Cheers
John