PDA

View Full Version : What's Bart Cummings worth??

goughy
11th April 2009, 05:56 PM
Can't believe I'm asking this question!!! What's the world coming to?

But I was wondering. Saw on the news he trained another winner today. So what kind of money has he made/got whatever? A slew of Melbourne Cup winners. Who knows how many other group one winners!

What would it cost to have him as your trainer? Is it like being, say, part of the Leadbetter academy or whatever but you never really see Leadbetter himself... at least I guess that's what it's like.

And what about Gail Waterhouse? She must be worth a packet too. And wasn't her brother/husband/father banned from the sport for something years ago (I'm thinking Fine Cotton but don't know for sure).

As you can tell, I know nothing about the nags, but just hearing Cummings' name again as a winning trainer got me thinking about how much money he makes as a trainer?

Webster
11th April 2009, 06:08 PM
his weight in gold

goughy
11th April 2009, 06:19 PM
He's a big lad! That'd be a bit then...

Jarro
11th April 2009, 06:20 PM
Those eyebrows would weigh at least a kilo each wouldn't they ?

u8ergolfer
11th April 2009, 06:38 PM
You can race a horse with 'Bart, if Bart thinks its worth training...At this point in his career, with 250 group 1 winners, most of his training is done through many, many bloodstock syndicates, and a selection of very, very wealthy Owners. Dato Chin Nam, a malaysian has had Bart raining his horses for over 40 years.

And a couple of em have been quite handy, Think Big and Saintly come to mind.

in the late 1980's/ early 1990's Bart did get into quite a bit of money trouble with a syndication scheme of sorts I think I recall it being called Cups King Sydnicate, anyway, went belly up aand he was left carrying the can to the tune of about 20 million or so.. He trained his way out of the debt in about three years..

So that final figure might give you a bit of an idea on what he is worth. As a craftsman, and horseman.. top of the tree..

Eag's
11th April 2009, 07:26 PM
He part owns quite a few of the horses he trains, the bloke is worth a crap load, multi many times over :shock:

u8ergolfer
11th April 2009, 07:36 PM
He Part owns a lot of em with Dato now ....Think last years cup winner Viewed was a partnership...

Dunno whether you'd call him a sportsman tho' so to rate him against golfers, cricketers, tennis players, footballers etc, would be a bit problematic really..