PDA

View Full Version : uh oh. not a noob!

gusso
9th April 2009, 12:07 AM
hello all,

pretty cool forum you have here. I have been lurking for about a month trying to leach some info from you knowledgables/know-it-alls. I see there is a lot to learn, but I am getting there.

Anyway, took the game up again after an 8 year absence. I have since gone through puperty and kissed a girl, maybe two. My memory is a touch blurry. So a pretty good 8 years, but no golf. At the moment I am pretty shocking, but will get there. I am aiming to shoot under 100 by the end of the year.

I don't want to go around putting noses out of joint, so decided to introduce myself. I am close to finishing an engineering degree at Usyd, with aspirations of motorsport engineering. I live in redfern/chippendale and play at Bondi, Woolahra, and Moore park. Not a member anywhere.

Picking up the golf game, however, has provided some interesting problems. The main being clubs and transport. Owning a motorcycle provides an interesting obstacle to overcome. To play a game I have to ride to my folks place and pick up both the parents car and the old mans sticks (70's or 80's PGF's? maybe). With K Rudd's money coming soon I plan on purchasing myself some entry-mid level clubs with a bag. Getting the clubs on the back of my baby will be an interesting hurdle, but it will be sorted. I promise.

This brings my to my question. I am giving myself a budget of about $750 +-$50 to get set up. I don't want a buggy, just a stand bag and a full set of easy to hit clubs. I enjoy the walk/carry. The muscle backs can probably wait a couple of rounds, hey! I am tall timber as well, so buying off the shelf lengths wont really do.

The options I see:

1. Lind. I have read mixed reports both here and ISG (the devil?). But I am not really that fussed.
2. Drummond. Provide that swing vision thing, but is that just a marketing gimmic to attract noobs. Noobs such as myself that are suckers for that kind of thing.
3. ebay. Buy a cheap set and get them lenghtened somewhere.
4. Second hand and lengthen.

At the moment I am drifting back and forth between the LIND and Drummond option. What does ozgolf think?

I did spot a bmw GS (charlie and Ewen styles) carrying a set of clubs from moore park the other day. I will get it going on my sportsbike some how, it will happen!

cheers guys

Angus

adlo
9th April 2009, 12:20 AM
I would put up a "Wanted to Buy" thread in the Pro Shop. You would be surprised what you value for money you can get around here. You can always lengthen irons without too much fuss. You should get a proper fitting to determine if you actually need the shafts lengthened and also sort out lie angle.

You will not get a proper fitting from Drummond. Better to get a recommendation off someone here.

And welcome.....

Scottt
9th April 2009, 12:34 AM
Welcome.

1. Just because you are tall doesn't mean you need over length clubs. If you have long arms, the hand to ground length could be standard.

2. Never buy from Drummond or GolfMart etc if you can avoid it. The Drummond Chippendale guys are particularly dumb. Pure salsmen, and not even good at it. The prices are extortionate.

3. for $750 you can get yourself kitted here/ISG etc with some change to hit up Bunnings and buy the bits and pieces needed for a morotbike/golf bag bracket.
You'd pick up a driver here for $100, a couple of hybrids for another $150, irons for $200, putter for $50 and a bag for $75 or so, easy.

4. enjoy, post well and often and never be afraid to ask questions.

Johnny Canuck
9th April 2009, 01:05 AM
welcome.

the best place to get good gear at a great price is as the boys have said, the pro shop.

if you need work done (lengthening, etc..) you could even find someone here in your area that may help you for a small fee.

BrisVegas
9th April 2009, 07:18 AM
I am tall timber as well, so buying off the shelf lengths wont really do.

The options I see:

1. Lind. I have read mixed reports both here and ISG (the devil?). But I am not really that fussed.
2. Drummond. Provide that swing vision thing, but is that just a marketing gimmic to attract noobs. Noobs such as myself that are suckers for that kind of thing.
3. ebay. Buy a cheap set and get them lenghtened somewhere.
4. Second hand and lengthen.

Hi Angus, welcome aboard. The best value for money is in 2nd hand clubs either from here or ebay, but you need to have an idea what you want and what flex shafts suit you first....

Any reputable clubmaker will build you a set of "component" brand sticks like Lindt for a decent price. They'll fit you properly too. A clubmaker will also lengthen clubs and adjust lie angles to fit you too, for a modest fee.

A good way to try out lots of different clubs (at no obligation to buy) is to go to a demo night. The Sydney ozgolfers can point you in the right direction. You'll get a rough idea from hitting different clubs and shaft flexes what fits you best and you can go from there.

Good luck.

Scottt
9th April 2009, 07:57 AM
Lots of Demo nights at the Moore Park range. Or Hudson Park if you're inclined.

markTHEblake
9th April 2009, 10:54 AM
and the old mans sticks (70's or 80's PGF's? maybe).

What model are they? I was a fan of PGF during that time.

BrisVegas
9th April 2009, 11:08 AM
What model are they? I was a fan of PGF during that time.

blakey - I can sell you a set (3-SW) of PGF Aristocrat SB irons from the 80's if you want??? ;)

Dotty
9th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Gusso, do they have wooden woods, esp. PGF Status or Status Hi-Tech ?

gusso
9th April 2009, 11:56 AM
nah, steel woods. I don't have them in front of me, but 'status' is written somewhere on the clubs. The driver is a 1.5 wood, if that helps.

Thank you all for the help. I will have to take note of the demo nights at moore park and whack away!

I will measure my hand to ground length over the weekend to see whether I need lenghtening (of the clubs).

markTHEblake
9th April 2009, 05:37 PM
I don't have them in front of me, but 'status' is written somewhere on the clubs.

Even better :D

They would be Mk III, Mk V, or LP, i dont think there were any more Status models.

If they were Mk V's i might even buy them.....

Scottt
9th April 2009, 05:39 PM
My old man had Mk3s until about 98 or so when he bought his Zings.

I grew up playing with them, the medallion missing from the toe of a few irons, f**k they stung when you toed one :lol:

Spider Lover
9th April 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Gusso,

I have not played golf since I was a kid even though I played daily until I was 15 years old. Much like you I am getting back into it.

After finding out I am being sponsored by K Rudd I bought a set of Wilson Pro Staff MOI (Cavity Back) clubs. Driver, 3 and 5 wood, 3 and 4 hybrid iron, 5 iron to SW. They were made to measure, the standards were an inch too short for me, the hangrips thickened, stiff shafts put in, and if needed be the angle of the face could be changed to suit your set up.

The set was on special. Got it for $510. Got it a week later when the changes were done to the clubs. The pro shop custom sets are the way to go, especially with pro's who know what they are talking about.

I played the first round with the clubs today and liked them. They are not the best set in the world but definately do the job. I am also getting back into golf and am in the process of getting my handicap. Got 16 over today. Will be around the 18 mark I think.

Go the cheap custom option. The clubs will be fitted to you. Once you improve you can spend the big $$ on a better set. I have given myself the goal of reaching single figures then splurging on a set of Pings or TM.

All the best with it.

markTHEblake
9th April 2009, 09:05 PM
At the moment I am drifting back and forth between the LIND and Drummond option. What does ozgolf think?

Gus , both options are crap. There is no way Lind can fit you properly without seeing you, and i dont have much faith in retail shop assistances that have been shown how to operate a computer fitting system

Find a good clubmaker, go see him for a fitting session. Then work with him on what clubs to buy. He might have something for you, or give some ebay/ozgolf tips on what to get and he then sets em up properly for you.

gusso
13th April 2009, 05:31 PM
ok! So I took your advice ... sort of, and managed to stretch the budget a bit thanks to a public holiday shift or two at the pub.

A set of Adams Idea A2 hybrids through to wedges (3-PW) is waiting at alexandria. Picked them up from rockbottomgolf.com, they look nice and forgiving.

Also pulled the trigger on a mizuno mx560 driver, from ebay. And a bridgestone stand bag, that was 80 squid over at ISG.

For now I will stick with a smoothie putter, that is kicking around at the folks place. I prefer my dads old school ping though! This will suffice until I know what kind of putter I want. I don't really like the look of all the fancy mallets out there.

So, I am short a fairway wood, but that can also wait until I feel that it is being missed.

Next step is to take these puppies to a club fitter and have them set up.

Probably not the ideal process, but my internet finger got itchy on friday!

henno
13th April 2009, 05:44 PM
Also pulled the trigger on a mizuno mx560 driver, from ebay.

Not exactly a forgiving driver, but nice pickup nonetheless.

And a bridgestone stand bag, that was 80 squid over at ISG.

That was a bargain. Nice bag.

So, I am short a fairway wood, but that can also wait until I feel that it is being missed.

Just stick a WTB in the Pro Shop when you're ready. You never know what'll turn up.

The Walrus
13th April 2009, 06:39 PM
If you need or want a fairway wood thats cheap, good and easy to hit get an Adams BUL 3 or 5 wood! If a monkey like me can hit it then its a safe bet for anyone!

You can get them from RBG and 3Balls or online here brand new for $135!

adlo
13th April 2009, 06:42 PM
Not exactly a forgiving driver, but nice pickup nonetheless.

The MX 560 is very forgiving Henno. The MP600 is the players driver.

I had a MX560 and it was straight as anything, I just couldn't handle the noise :shock: Not quite a Cobra/Nike Sumo, but close.

Also, Walrus is right, the BUL FW's are crazy good. However, I would just pick up a 5 wood when you are looking for a FW. The 3 wood can come later.

henno
13th April 2009, 07:14 PM
The MX 560 is very forgiving Henno. The MP600 is the players driver.

Oh yeah. I was confused with the MP500/MP600 differences, not the MP560.

adlo
13th April 2009, 07:25 PM
Oh yeah. I was confused with the MP500/MP600 differences, not the MP560.
You are forgiven.... this time. Just never make a mistake again.

henno
13th April 2009, 07:34 PM
You are forgiven.... this time. Just never make a mistake again.

That was my first ever, so I can only assume there will be no more.

adlo
13th April 2009, 07:48 PM
That was my first ever, so I can only assume there will be no more.
:lol: Noted.

gusso
14th April 2009, 12:36 PM
The clubs arrived this morning. Besides some very minor paint fill blemishes, I am nice and stoaked.

This set up will be reviewed as I think it can be more stable and the club heads might need more protection from each other. The width doesn't worry me, I will just have to remember not to lane split while hammering to the course. For longer distance journeys, a car will materialise. This will be more for popping down to the range after a hard day.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/gus_001/IMG_01241.jpg

henno
14th April 2009, 05:08 PM
Lovely sounding bikes, the VTR.

gusso
17th April 2009, 02:34 PM
Lovely sounding bikes, the VTR.

this is true, henno, this is true. Especially now that the already loud pipes have been shortened after a little whoopsie at sydney's eastern creek.:oops:. Lets just say that taxi's pulling out on me is now a rare occurance.

The driver just came this morning, so i popped down to the range to have a whack. Blake is not wrong about the ear piercingness of the club. Dayam loud, but was very forgiving after I had warmed up a bit. Stoaked! Lets just hope the first tee jitters don't incite a nice fluff on sunday.

Mayhem
22nd April 2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds like you are accumulating some good gear mate.
If I started my journey all over again I would spend a third of my cash on clubs, a third getting them fitted properly and the rest on some lessons with a reputable pro. Clubs are sweet but a good swing makes them go better.