PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing April 6th

Jarro
7th April 2009, 02:12 PM
38 points (17/21) around Virginia today.

Hit driver pretty well ... especially towards the end of the round (which is a nice change)

Made a few boo-boo's with the irons, but the short game was good enough to scramble some pars and get me out of trouble :)

Eag's
7th April 2009, 02:30 PM
Nice work Mark :smt023

Courty
7th April 2009, 02:58 PM
Nice work, Jarro. Have you played Virginia much before?

Jarro
7th April 2009, 03:04 PM
Nice work Mark :smt023

Thanks mate 8-)

Nice work, Jarro. Have you played Virginia much before?

Probably half-a-dozen times Courty.

mike
7th April 2009, 07:05 PM
Was it in a comp?

adlo
7th April 2009, 07:54 PM
A social 18 today at Hartfield with rebjon.

Almost went home after 9, was playing terribly. Thankfully turned it around and shot a 39 off the stick on the back 9, which would have been 22 points.

The turning point must have been snapping a steel shaft on the 9th (#18 ) getting out of the crap. Game seemed to turn around after that.

Scottt
7th April 2009, 08:12 PM
Nice shooting on the back Adlo.

adlo
7th April 2009, 08:19 PM
Cheers Scottt, a few pars out of the crap too which was encouraging. Glad I played 18 instead of 9. Otherwise I'd be picking through Virge's comments on other threads trying to work out what to fix :)

Golfnut
7th April 2009, 10:36 PM
...And this was all on a course you've not played before?!?!?
Nice going mate....I like to think that what makes a truely good golfer is; one who can recover well from a "not so good" previous shot or hole.....this can prove tricky as this game can be such a confidence killer at times.....you sure proved that on the back 9 Adlo.

adlo
7th April 2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it felt familiar in a strange way. Like a fusion between Bunbury and Wembley (Old) so felt pretty comfortable out there.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:13 PM
39 on the harder 9! Great to be able to come back.
I've got a lesson this Thursday evening to get me back on track.
Also hoping to reshaft to Rifle 6s finally after the lesson. Should be fun as I'll be doing it myself with some guidance.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:21 PM
Who is the lesson with?
I hope you stop changing equipment soon. Much to the dismay of some ho's around here, I think you need to settle on a set-up.

Scottt
7th April 2009, 11:28 PM
Why rifle 6.0s, IDGG?

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:36 PM
Why rifle 6.0s, IDGG?
Because he has the disease

Scottt
7th April 2009, 11:37 PM
:lol:

It's as good an answer as any.

Speak to Virge. I started talking about PX5s last year and he cyber-headbutted me.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:38 PM
:lol:

It's as good an answer as any.

Speak to Virge. I started talking about PX5s last year and he cyber-headbutted me.
Now that I have to see :lol:

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:41 PM
I got down to 11 at the start of the year with my Srixon Pro100s on Tour Flighted Rifle 6s. Moved to the Cally X-Protos with PX 5.0s. The trajectory is a lot higher. When I lay into the shot with a full swing - they balloon rather than go longer.

Could be a club control too. However, I have these 6s lying about the place so I thought I'd try. Can always change them back if I don't like them.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:42 PM
Who is the lesson with?
I hope you stop changing equipment soon. Much to the dismay of some ho's around here, I think you need to settle on a set-up.
Paul Smith. He's going to help me change the shafts over.

Scottt
7th April 2009, 11:46 PM
PX5s ballooned? I thought PX was a low launch, low spin shaft?

If you've had success with rifle 6s before I guess that's a good reason, though strangely I had rifle 6s in my DCIs that I bought before I knew anything about clubs and loved them. But my swing, she is way too slow for 6s... though I have always been tempted to whack some in the MP-60s and see how they feel.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:48 PM
idgg gives it a fair whack for a little fella, he can handle the strong shafts.

Scottt
7th April 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm not questioning that. unless the 5.0s were too weak for him...

Proving here that I still have the disease, IDGG, if you like the 6s, I'll take the 5,0s off your hands :lol:

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:56 PM
I started on blades when I was a 26 HC about 6 years ago. Played public course before then - not a true indicator of your HC and used to be 19 at ABM (Hamersley WAGL).

Joined Chequers at 26 HC and got down to 17 over three years. Dropped to 11 from 15 in the last year with no real active effort other than reading Bob Rotella's books.

I had a lesson ad hoc while at Maylands and changed the way I take my golf club back and have gone out to 13 since. Will have the lesson to sort out what I'm doing wrong.

Went to PX5s as I have arthiritis in my hands and in the winter, I couldn't grip them as well, nor load the shafts well enough.

My 2 iron is a Ping S59 DGX 300. I can still get 190m out of it (with some run).

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:56 PM
Scottt, he has Haysey disease, he never sells any of his spare crap.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm not questioning that. unless the 5.0s were too weak for him...

Proving here that I still have the disease, IDGG, if you like the 6s, I'll take the 5,0s off your hands :lol:
I'll keep them as I'll leave the grips on them so I can change them over easier. If the hands start getting weak again, I may change them over.

idgolfguy
8th April 2009, 12:01 AM
I never get rid of gear. Learnt my lesson from selling of all my musical equipment in the past and missing it now. I have three kids, so I can always use the stuff for them.

Scottt
8th April 2009, 12:02 AM
You're no fun :lol:

idgolfguy
8th April 2009, 12:04 AM
Wife says the same at times!

haysey
9th April 2009, 09:33 AM
38 points (17/21) around Virginia today.

Hit driver pretty well ... especially towards the end of the round (which is a nice change)

Made a few boo-boo's with the irons, but the short game was good enough to scramble some pars and get me out of trouble :)

:smt038

Well played sir...

I sell stuff:smt013

Sometimes I even buy it back a week after I sell it:D

BrisVegas
9th April 2009, 09:48 AM

I'm not alone when saying I will vouch for that! :smt023

Dotty
9th April 2009, 10:07 AM
Another 38 points.

A Campese of a round (mixture of briiliant, ordinary and embarrassing), highlighted by birdie 2's on 18 and 9, without over-analysis - pick club, hit ball, walk up and putt.

Down to 10.2 (possibly lower, when Sunday's card gets in).

adlo
9th April 2009, 10:25 AM

Sometimes I even buy it back a week after I sell it:D

Yeah but selling 2% of all the gear you buy doesn't count for much.

Flowergirl
9th April 2009, 11:03 AM
Well done Jarro and Dotty. :smt038
2 personAmbrose yesterday. Played poorly due to the fact that my arms and shoulders are so sore from training that I couldn't swing.:shock: Still - that's no excuse for the poor putting.
Luckily no pennant today due to Easter cos I don't think I could have played. Think I'll have to have a serious talk to my personal trainer - my daughter - but seeing she never takes any notice of me - I think I'm in for some more serious pain.:smt108

Julie
10th April 2009, 03:43 PM
43points in the comp today. I did 90 off the stick which is my personal best and I will be losing 2.8 off my handicap.8):D
I'm pretty happy about it, now all I want to do is break 90.:D

jimandr
10th April 2009, 04:10 PM
29 points in the Good Friday game at Dunheved with Grunt and Jono. The greens were cored and sanded quite recently, and were awful. Thats only a partial excuse though. I hit too many bad shots, as usual.

Fairways = 7 of 13, including a lost ball that I thought was on the 14th fairway
Greens in reg = 7 of 18
Putts = 37, two 3putts and a 4putt, zero birdes
Up&Down = 2 of 6
Sand = 0 of 1
3 penalty shots

AndyP
10th April 2009, 04:11 PM
43points in the comp today. I did 90 off the stick which is my personal best and I will be losing 2.8 off my handicap.8):D
I'm pretty happy about it, now all I want to do is break 90.:DCongrats on the PB, Julie.

Grunt
10th April 2009, 04:25 PM
Well playeed Julie

I played a t Dunheved today and was pretty happy with how I played. I shot 33 points with 3 wipes so it is not too far from playing to handicap once again. Putted ok, a few poor iron shots but on the whole it was ok. Cored greens meant it was a bit of a lottery with chips and putts. On the chipping side some stopped dead and others skidded. On the whole i played pretty good.

Stats

33 Points (3 Wipes)
93 Gross
75 Nett
8/14 Fairways
4 GIR
32 Putts (2 3 putts)
5/7 Up & downs
0/2 Sandsaves

haysey
10th April 2009, 05:33 PM

Fantastic effort Julie...:smt038.

Talk to the handicapper, make sure he doesn't put it through until after your matchplay with Courty:D

Eag's
10th April 2009, 05:53 PM
Nice work Julie :smt023

grandmasterb
10th April 2009, 07:43 PM
I had a shocker on Wednesday, its the worst i've hit the ball on the front 9 :(

11pts front 9 (wiped 4 holes)
22 pts back 9

8 FIR
7 GIR
3/6 Up & downs
19 putts through 13 holes

Short game saved me on the back 9 as did iron play but was still very average off the tee.

Courty
10th April 2009, 08:22 PM

Top stuff Julie. Sounds like you're bringing some good form into our match.

However, you're also bringing less shots. 8)

haysey
11th April 2009, 03:21 PM
Played Mareeba today with Courty and Chopper71.

86 nett 77 par 72

Had a fun day apart from some shocking work around the greens:roll:

Julie
11th April 2009, 04:29 PM
We played Mareeba today as well with Ned.
Russell 90 net 75 (50 on the front and 40 on the back).
Julie 99 net 76

adlo
11th April 2009, 05:05 PM
Played this morning in a 4BBB with the chief WA ho, Johnny Canuck. A new bag of tricks wasn't enough!

We played OK for 43 points. Thought we might be 3 or 4 off the pace, only to find the clubhouse leaders in with 51 points :shock: One guy had a 73 off the bat playing off a 12 handicap. Bandit.

My own round was solid:
8 FW
6 GIR
31 putts
5 U & D's

Would have had 40 or 41 points (picked up a few putts when JC had holed them).

Disappointed I couldn't convert any birdies, and an eagle or two from the long hitting Canadian wouldn't have gone astray. He sure had the chances! Oh to be approaching a par 5 with a 9 iron for my second shot!! Crazy.

mikezone13
11th April 2009, 05:09 PM
One down in a par event for me... got me 0.1 back to 9.5 ;)

9/14 fairways
9/18 GIR's
34 putts
1/8 U&D :(

2 birds (also 2 others missed from less than 1.5m)
6 pars
8 bogies
2 doubles

Continue to strike the ball superb off the tee and started to get some solid iron shots as well finally. Putting wasn't overly great, especially on the back 9 (19 putts) and chipping was just not right.

AndyP
11th April 2009, 05:22 PM
11/04/09, Headland GC, Sunshine Coast Amateur Open Champs - Day 1

4/14 effective tee-shots.
2/18 effective approaches.
2/11 up and down successes.
36 putts.
-----------
1 birdie.
2 pars.
8 bogeys.
7 others.
Score 43-51-94 nett 83.

The stats look bad and it was bad. I'm surprised I didn't crack the tonne actually. I did leak plenty of shots once the round was shot and the rain pelted down though.

There is nothing positive to take out of the round, so I can only improve for tomorrow, right? Please? Pretty please? Can I have some of Rusty's luck at least?

Next round: Headland Pain Part II tomorrow.

Courty
11th April 2009, 05:42 PM
Mareeba Monthly Medal this morning with Haysey & Chopper71. I shouldn't really complain about a few poor shots I had as I more than made up for them elsewhere during the round.

75 gross
68 nett

7 fairways
8 greens
26 putts

5 birdies :shock:
6 pars
6 bogies
1 double

---------------------

Chopper71 and I then dashed back down to Cairns to play an Individual Stableford in the afternoon field. I was feeling fine to start with, but it caught up to me by the end of the first 9 and I was swinging quite poorly due to weariness.

81 gross
34 pts

5 fairways
4 greens
27 putts

11 pars
5 bogies
2 doubles

I'm quite happy overall as I completed 36 holes in -2 nett.

AndyP
11th April 2009, 05:47 PM
And you have a back problem? Well done on a solid 36 holes.

Courty
11th April 2009, 05:50 PM
And you have a back problem? Well done on a solid 36 holes.

Luckily my funky swing doesn't irritate it. 8)

BrisVegas
11th April 2009, 06:16 PM
great shooting county!

i had a single stab at Brookwater today. 80 gross for 36 points. Couple of wipes, a couple of 3-jabs and a couple of birds, so it was mixed bag out there. Happy enough with that i guess. That's 2 weeks in a row to handicap!

12 fairways
10 greens
34 putts

Eag's
11th April 2009, 06:33 PM
Well done Courty :smt038

idgolfguy
11th April 2009, 09:29 PM
Played 40 points stableford. 18 pts off the 1st and 22 of the back. Didn't feel I hit the ball well though. Had 2 wipes and 4 single pointers. The two birdies saved me.

I had a golf lesson on Thursday night which identified some over corrections that had snuck into my game in the last couple of months. Will have to convert the par 3s from bogeys to pars.

adlo
11th April 2009, 11:29 PM
Nice shooting idgolfguy and Courty.

id, what is the likelihood of a Kennedy Bay member playing the Vines on a Saturday very soon? We have greens being cored on the 20th/21st and am looking for a home on Sat 25th.

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2009, 12:30 AM
Well talk about lucky. 4 ball stableford and my partner just happened to put his name in with mine on the internet. I scored on a mere 4 holes and he shot 2 over off 9 handicap for 47 points. A box of pro v1-x's each and a cally glove. Brilliant golf, he birdied the last two to finish brilliantly.

AndyP
12th April 2009, 04:58 PM
12/04/09, Headland GC, Sunshine Coast Amateur Open Champs - Day 2

11/14 effective tee-shots.
5/18 effective approaches.
3/6 up and down successes.
35 putts.
-----------
5 pars.
13 bogeys.
Score (B9 1st) 42-43-85 nett 74 (Par 72).

A significantly better round of golf by me today in all departments, including the mental game. Unfortunately, the putts just wouldn't drop, but that's partly due to the tough pin setup.

In the five years, ten rounds of playing this tournament, it's my best gross score to date, so I'm quite pleased to turn it around a bit today.

Next round: Next Saturday at the McLeod Cup. I'm looking forward to seeing my name up on that honour board.

Ned
12th April 2009, 05:00 PM
Mareeba Saturday

Monthly Medal - And Migraine

86/74

Wasn't driving it very well and went for a couple of extra holes after game to tinker with driver and three wood settings.

Beat Julie 5 and 3 in Match Play

Mareeba Sunday

Single Stableford - and Hangover

35 points (21/14)

Drove it like a champ 10/14 FIR

As for the rest of the game, chipped in for bird on 9, wiped 4/5 holes

Was real Penthouse to Shyte house and back again game from one hole to another.

razaar
12th April 2009, 05:07 PM
Played with Scott Draper yesterday, his iron play was superlative: great golf swing, shame he is trying to overcome lower back problems.:(

idgolfguy
12th April 2009, 05:09 PM
Nice shooting idgolfguy and Courty.

id, what is the likelihood of a Kennedy Bay member playing the Vines on a Saturday very soon? We have greens being cored on the 20th/21st and am looking for a home on Sat 25th.
We had our green cored this week - I can ask if you're still interested.

adlo
12th April 2009, 06:46 PM
Bugger..... might try and find a course that hasn't cored yet. Johnny Canuck was going to investigate Kwinana. I'll see what he finds out. Otherwise might have a hit at Wembley with the old social club (if the Old course isn't cored yet- I know they cored the Tuart a few weeks ago).

idgolfguy
12th April 2009, 07:13 PM
Bugger..... might try and find a course that hasn't cored yet. Johnny Canuck was going to investigate Kwinana. I'll see what he finds out. Otherwise might have a hit at Wembley with the old social club (if the Old course isn't cored yet- I know they cored the Tuart a few weeks ago).
Kwinana might be the go of there are slots available.

adlo
12th April 2009, 07:16 PM
OK, we'll see what the Canuck can find ooot.

Scottt
13th April 2009, 01:25 AM
Played on Good Friday at Royal Zoute (http://www.zoute.be/index_golf.htm) while visiting Bruge for the weekend.

Had 81 (+9) - turned one over and had +8 the back :smt013

But loved the course. And 21C felt like a fine 35C after the winter I've endured!

11/14 fairways
10/18 greens
34 putts
1/8 U&Ds

Tough track, 20mph wind with 30mph gusts and was playing blind (not Ziggy-style though :lol:), so to wind up with 36 points was okay, but after making double from the fairway and 100m out on 10, then bogeying six of the next eight wasn't the best golf I have ever produced.

Dotty
13th April 2009, 05:09 AM
Very similar on this side of the globe, Scottt. :wink:

Played Good Friday at (Royal) Marrickville, also had 9 over and many blind holes. I haven't played there for 20 years, and that course is a lawsuit waiting to happen (esp. 4th and 8th tee shots over a steep short hill).

Despite that, great fun for once a year, for regular and once-a-year golfers.

Grunt
13th April 2009, 05:30 AM
Very similar on this side of the globe, Scottt. :wink:

Played Good Friday at (Royal) Marrickville, also had 9 over and many blind holes. I haven't played there for 20 years, and that course is a lawsuit waiting to happen (esp. 4th and 8th tee shots over a steep short hill).

Despite that, great fun for once a year, for regular and once-a-year golfers.

I will have to get out to Marrickville one day, just to tick it off the played at list.

Scottt
13th April 2009, 06:08 AM
It's not a bad place for a handicap reduction, Grunt.

Courty
13th April 2009, 01:56 PM
Played at Sea Temple with the NQ OZgolf crew this morning. I seem to have left my ball-striking in Cairns as my iron play was a disgrace. I did however hit the driver quite well (for the most part) and the putter. I simply missed far too many greens.

86 gross
28 pts

10 fairways
4 greens :oops:
34 putts

6 pars
9 bogies
3 doubles

adlo
13th April 2009, 02:32 PM
Played at Sea Temple with the NQ OZgolf crew this morning. I seem to have left my ball-striking in Cairns as mr iron play was a disgrace.
He can be a bastard sometimes can't He??

Courty
13th April 2009, 02:43 PM
He can be a bastard sometimes can't He??

:lol: :roll:

Moe Norman
13th April 2009, 03:43 PM
Played this morning to dust off the cobwebs before an important match next Saturday against old friends. Put the new setup into play with the new driver shaft and the 3 iron dropped for a 23* hybrid.

Started poorly but with no major disasters, just bogeys on easy holes. Turned with 16 points, without doing anything particularly good, but nothing particularly bad. As I broke my thumb 2 weeks ago, I was taking it pretty easy and was hitting as much as 5 iron from 150m.

I made a standard 2 putt par on 10, then made a rare up & down on 11. Then on 12 went, 3 wood, 5 iron, 9 iron in the hole for eagle. Made standard pars all the way home except for sand saves on 14 and 18 to shoot 34 for the back 9 and have 24 points giving me 40 points for the day. Back 9 was played in torrential rain too!

40 points is my best stab score in about 4 years, so I was pretty pleased. It just snuck up on me! I putted like crap too, holed pretty much nothing longer than 6 feet (except for the 9 iron!) but had no 3 jabs either.

Score:

43(16) - 34(24) - 77(40)

Stats:

10/14 Fairways
10/18 Greens
1/4 Up&Downs
2/3 Sand Saves
31 Putts (9x2 putts on the front 9 and only 13 putts on the back)

Jarro
13th April 2009, 03:46 PM
Nice shootin' Moe .....

... maybe you should break fingers more often ;)

Moe Norman
13th April 2009, 03:48 PM
its not that bad mate, but it would be a hard slog in the wet thats for sure!

f#cking long from the back tees

jimandr
13th April 2009, 04:31 PM
Terrible, terrible golf today at Shell Cove with the matchplayers for a massive 27 points. I am really struggling to hit the ball cleanly at the moment. Some awful putting didn't help either. I switched from conventional to the claw grip after nine, and after I continually left everything short I now remember why I changed back.

Gir = 3 of 18
Fairways = 6 of 13
Putts = 34, zero birdies, 4 3putts
Up&Down = 6 of 9 (a positive)
Sand Saves = 0 of 2
2 penalty shots

Bruce
14th April 2009, 08:50 AM
Played at Mildura on Easter Sunday on another fine sunny day.

Par comp. Finished +2 on a rollercoaster of a round for r/u (cb).

2 chip in birdies :) :)
7 pars
2 bogeys
7 double or worse. That's 9 wins and 7 losses. I was just disgraceful off the tee and my scoring matched the amount of trouble I got myself into.

mike
14th April 2009, 06:42 PM
Played at Mildura on Easter Sunday on another fine sunny day.

Par comp. Finished +2 on a rollercoaster of a round for r/u (cb).

2 chip in birdies :) :)
7 pars
2 bogeys
7 double or worse. That's 9 wins and 7 losses. I was just disgraceful off the tee and my scoring matched the amount of trouble I got myself into.

I hate par.

Were your 2 birds on holes you got a shot?

jimandr
14th April 2009, 08:04 PM
I just realised that about half a dozen posters in this thread, including me, forgot that yesterday was Easter Monday. Therefore we all missed the great prestige of starting a new weekly thread.

I know that Grunt, Mikezone and Dotty all played yesterday and didn't post. So, the privilege is up for grabs!

Moe Norman
14th April 2009, 08:08 PM
CCR was 71, so I didn't lose a shot!

into a neat 7.5, so got 10 games before I'm out to 9 :)

Bruce
14th April 2009, 09:41 PM
I hate par.

Were your 2 birds on holes you got a shot?

I'm off 18 at the moment, so yes.

BrisVegas
15th April 2009, 08:44 AM
CCR was 71, so I didn't lose a shot!

into a neat 7.5, so got 10 games before I'm out to 9 :)

nice shooting Moe. How'd the sonartec 23 go?

Your round sounds like mine from last week (yours a bit better) where i went 43-36 including holing a wedge for eagle. Gotta learn how to get off to a better start!

Moe Norman
15th April 2009, 06:46 PM
I only hit it twice. Once as a practice shot into 9 from exactly 200 out (Hit my tee shot OB and wiped) and it was perfect distance and great flight.

Then I hit it off the tee on 11 even though I probably should have hit a 4 iron (just wanted to get it in play!) and by trying to choke back on it, I ended up pulling it about 20m left pin high (185m Par 3).

Very happy with it though, funnily enough it won't get much use at my home club as I rarely find myself 200m out - which is essentially why I lost confidence in the 3 iron in the first place as I never use it!

cozza
15th April 2009, 07:05 PM
hey guys

new to this i hit a 96 off a 27hc at collier park of friday easter conditions were good hit 50 front nine and 46 back hit the ball well just puting was useless to say the least

Scottt
15th April 2009, 07:07 PM
What's the par round there mate? 69 nett with useless putting must mean you hit it pretty well?

adlo
15th April 2009, 07:10 PM
Depends on which 9's he played. Rates a 70 I think.

simmsy
15th April 2009, 09:48 PM
Well first game back since early Feb on Monday.
Blowing it's @rse off for the first 12 holes, so much so that the pills were actually rolling on the green after you put them back down.(no one got done from addressing the ball).
Really happy with result -
41pts - 20&21 scratched two holes on the back nine as well.
7/14 Fw
5 gir
30putts
chipped in once from 30feet.

happy enough with that for first hit in a while.

simmsy..;)

Scottt
15th April 2009, 10:00 PM
Blowing that hard and it still rated two-under? Must've been some good golf played...

cozza
15th April 2009, 11:37 PM
What's the par round there mate? 69 nett with useless putting must mean you hit it pretty well?

played pines and island yeah hit the ball well got to greens in gir 50 percent but i play in the country on sand green couldn't get used to the greens not an excuse by all means