PDA

View Full Version : Nickent on the rocks?

TheTrueReview
4th April 2009, 10:40 PM
This is a quote from a Nickent release in the U.S.

The economic downturn has caused Nickent Golf and many other companies around the world to adjust their business strategies and expenses accordingly therefore the determination has been made that to temporarily dissolve the relationship with the PGA TOUR.

Our success on the PGA TOUR has been remarkable; all product categories were put into play in 2008, 42 worldwide wins over the last four years and 5 staff wins on the Nationwide TOUR in 2008 alone.

We fully expect that players on the PGA TOUR will continue to use Nickent products, without compensation, because of the high quality of our products and because it gives them the best opportunity to win each week.

As things improve, which we fully expect, we expect to return to the PGA TOUR. At Nickent we are confident in our future because the weather is changing and golf season is starting in large parts of the country, we have new exciting products including the 5DX hybrid, and a revamped version of the groundbreaking 4DX Evolver and we have a quality team in place working tirelessly to continue to make Nickent a viable brand in the marketplace.

Who does the Nickent CEO think he's kidding?

TheNuclearOne
4th April 2009, 10:48 PM
Stick a fork in them, they are very likely done.

henno
4th April 2009, 10:51 PM
Sonartec version 2.0?

TheTrueReview
4th April 2009, 10:52 PM
I think James Nitties uses Nickent. Maybe a case of 'watch this space' to see which manufacturer's clubs turn up in his bag.

rodders
4th April 2009, 10:53 PM
Does this mean my 4DX is a collectors item? Just think, you'll give yourself the best chance to win on the nationwide tour!

Anyone wanna swap for an R9?

adlo
4th April 2009, 11:37 PM
Nickent are gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

henno
4th April 2009, 11:38 PM
Might be some bargains to be had.

henno
4th April 2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/03/23/daily38.html

In January, Equus took a writedown on its debt and equity investment in Nickent Golf Inc. for the second time in four months because of the effect of the recession on Nickent’s business.

The current worth of Nickent, a California golf club maker, was lowered dramatically to $180,000, down from $8.4 million.

adlo
4th April 2009, 11:47 PM
If I could work out all their models I might consider these bargains you speak of.

The hybrids are just confusing.

henno
4th April 2009, 11:50 PM
The hybrids are just confusing.

Let's be honest; most hybrid manufacturers are confusing in their marketing. Adams is no better, with their boxer, pro, peanut business.

Without reading general banter about their respective models, you'd be hard lucked trying to wade through the marketing bullshit to work out which model is for choppers, and which for "players".

TheTrueReview
5th April 2009, 12:00 AM
Might be some bargains to be had.

The never did have good second hand value. Now, they're likely to be at giveaway prices.

adlo
5th April 2009, 12:09 AM
Let's be honest; most hybrid manufacturers are confusing in their marketing. Adams is no better, with their boxer, pro, peanut business.

Without reading general banter about their respective models, you'd be hard lucked trying to wade through the marketing bullshit to work out which model is for choppers, and which for "players".
Adams are easy. A4, A4OS and Pro Gold. Done.

Nicent have too many letters in their models. DX, RX, I dunno.....

3oneday
5th April 2009, 05:50 AM
Might be some bargains to be had.that's funny :lol:

What's cheaper than Nickent ? Adams ???

:lol:

Dazza
5th April 2009, 05:56 AM
that's funny :lol:

What's cheaper than Nickent ? Adams ???

:lol:

Top Flite!

TheTrueReview
5th April 2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/03/23/daily38.html

The current worth of Nickent, a California golf club maker, was lowered dramatically to $180,000, down from $8.4 million.

Who'd like to throw in to buy a golf club company? That & a few chook raffles should be enough. :razz:

u8ergolfer
5th April 2009, 08:09 AM
I think James Nitties uses Nickent. Maybe a case of 'watch this space' to see which manufacturer's clubs turn up in his bag.

Nitties did a bag ball and iron deal with Callaway at the start of the year.

Courty
5th April 2009, 08:16 AM
SMS316 will be happy. :lol:

u8ergolfer
5th April 2009, 08:17 AM
Nitties story SMH.. signed with Callaway and Oakley SUnnies about 2/3rds of the way down.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/golf/nitties-ready-to-swim-with-the-big-boys/2009/01/14/1231608794166.html

kwantfm
5th April 2009, 05:25 PM
What a shame... Nickent looked like an up and comer...

adlo
5th April 2009, 06:48 PM
What a shame... Nickent looked like an up and comer...

As was Sonartec.....

If Nickent disappears, I don't think they will be the only one. It will show just how hard it is in the US, and I'd imagine that more small golf companies will follow.

sms316
5th April 2009, 07:15 PM
Just goes to show - he they didn't put all of their efforts in R&D instead of customer relations, they might still have a profitable company.

perci
5th April 2009, 07:23 PM
Bummer I was going to get a 6 DX Driver and a 8DX Hybrid for Christmas!

grandmasterb
5th April 2009, 09:40 PM
Even the "free" club deals they had obviously didn't help sales :(

Pity cause i rate my driver in the top 3 i've ever used/owned!!!

adlo
5th April 2009, 09:43 PM
Bummer I was going to get a 6 DX Driver and a 8DX Hybrid for Christmas!
You would have regretted not waiting for the 12DX DC RX XX model.

TheTrueReview
5th April 2009, 09:54 PM
Even the "free" club deals they had obviously didn't help sales :(

Once companies take those sort of measures their fate is sealed. The slippery slope is well and truly started.

Planet Golf
8th April 2009, 09:57 PM
It would be a huge shame, i haven't yet bought their products but believe them to be first class. Very supportive of smaller companies investing in R&D against the big boys. Lets hope that it is a furphy

TheTrueReview
9th September 2009, 05:52 AM
Nickent may finally be toast.

I noticed their web host has suspended their account. http://www.nickentgolf.com/

Edit 1: or it appears they've had a barney with their former hosting company over "billing". Nickent has a new website.

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/

Oldplayer
9th September 2009, 06:30 AM
As was Sonartec.....

If Nickent disappears, I don't think they will be the only one. It will show just how hard it is in the US, and I'd imagine that more small golf companies will follow.
Nickent and Sorartec both made some great equipment. The 4dx tour was a great driver, I bagged one for over a year which was a long time for me. I still play sonartec hybrid and 3 wood, fantastic fairway clubs. I guess the smaller guys had to be good to compete, but in the end they just can't cut it with the big juggernauts like TM and Ping etc. It's a shame, I reckon their stuff had it all over the overpriced POS from Callaway etc.

grandmasterb
9th September 2009, 11:45 PM
Nickent and Sorartec both made some great equipment. The 4dx tour was a great driver, I bagged one for over a year which was a long time for me. I still play sonartec hybrid and 3 wood, fantastic fairway clubs. I guess the smaller guys had to be good to compete, but in the end they just can't cut it with the big juggernauts like TM and Ping etc. It's a shame, I reckon their stuff had it all over the overpriced POS from Callaway etc.

Couldn't agree more, my tour drivers were/are great and still use them frequently.

My only criticism of the Nickent for lack of sales is that your average golfer had no idea who they were and weren't going to pay the RRP of the club over that of TM/Titliest etc.

LarryLong
10th September 2009, 07:30 AM
The world needs struggling small club manufacturers that make top-quality gear so that tight-arses like me can buy ridiculously discounted clubs from overseas.

Go Nickent!

giddyupgaz
10th September 2009, 08:39 AM
I still have my 4DX driver, amazing for me to hang onto a club for so long especially since it is not a fairway finder. These clubs are long, very long and they run, issue with mine is that it is a tour spec and I just can't get used to the ball going right on me but when I get it spot on it simply flies.
I have a nickent hybrid as well, not so happy with that, but i am one of the minority who can't hit a hybrid, got a 5 wood instead and very happy with the results.

sms316
10th September 2009, 05:58 PM
Go Nickent!
**** Nickent. Glad they have gone belly up. Hopefully Horse is unemployed and living on the streets.
:mrgreen:

sms316
23rd September 2009, 06:00 PM
Here's an update of sorts;

The Nickent rep (not that fruitbat John Craig) came in to see us last week. Subtle as usual, I asked him if the rumour about Nickent going under was true, and he wasn't impressed and told me it was BS.

I mumbled something about 16 week delivery times and kept on walking.