PDA

View Full Version : Ho-veat emptor

Scottt
3rd April 2009, 12:04 AM
Reading Jarro's Mac driver thread, watching the price mimic most sharemarkets, I got to wondering what type of club is the worst investment as a ho who is likely to move stuff on sooner or later.

All my putter and wedge hoing last year pretty much ended up at a break-even. Bags too.

I've never been one to play revolving doors with drivers, and it's appearing more and more to me that the big dog is where big $$$ can be lost.

Granted I bought my R7TPs in June 07 for $1100 and sold them in July 08 for $575, but that was my own fault for buying retail! The DCIs I had before that I bought in 2002 for $350 and sold in 2007 for $300 8)

Do the other hos agree that drivers are where the cash is lost?

Russell
3rd April 2009, 12:20 AM
absolutely , my collection of old drivers is adding up(srixon 503,callaway ft3 etc) because the return just isn't worth the effort

Golfnut
3rd April 2009, 12:52 AM
Hmmm....R9 on hold then

adlo
3rd April 2009, 01:30 AM
Buying Adams at full retail.

Quality gear but cheap as peanuts after 6 months from the US.

Jarro
3rd April 2009, 07:07 AM
It'd have to be drivers ....

... particularly TM drivers :roll:

haysey
3rd April 2009, 07:25 AM
You'd have to sell stuff to lose money:-s

But I'd agree that it's drivers that lose the most:cry:

razaar
3rd April 2009, 08:11 AM
So the message being...buy second hand or superseeded?

3oneday
3rd April 2009, 08:37 AM

Buy Titleist or Ping (Ping irons mainly), always worth something, nothing Adams.

TM is scary where drivers and fairways are concerned, but their irons, wedges and putters aren't too bad for holding value in the right market.

Nike is probably not far behind Adams in something being worthless quickly, although I personally rate the drivers (of both). Nike irons hold no value here at least.

All my opinion, probably based on what I have sold (and not). TM is still one of the best driver sellers on ebay.

virge666
3rd April 2009, 09:43 AM

6 to 8 months old.

You just cannot beat the value. Anything from TM with "tour" in the name usually can hold up OK...

Ping always seem to do well as long as it is black dot. They also don't get bag chatter.

Titleist always hold up well - good resale chain.

Scottt
3rd April 2009, 09:45 AM
empty your PMs, Virge

virge666
3rd April 2009, 09:46 AM
empty your PMs, Virge

Just have - the shaft thing just killed it. :)

Golfnut
3rd April 2009, 11:28 AM
.....Nike is probably not far behind Adams in something being worthless quickly, although I personally rate the drivers (of both). Nike irons hold no value here at least.

Oh Great :cry:
Glad i'm still enjoying my sumos though.

razaar
3rd April 2009, 12:33 PM
6 to 8 months old.

You just cannot beat the value. Anything from TM with "tour" in the name usually can hold up OK...

Ping always seem to do well as long as it is black dot. They also don't get bag chatter.

Titleist always hold up well - good resale chain.
Have to agree with your comments about TM.:) My previous set of irons were the tour burners (1997); the only irons I know of that won four majors in a couple of years (Els, Jansen, Lehman & O'Meara). Play exactly like a true blade with a high centre of gravity.

Pings will be my next set (but orange for my specs).:)

oobsadd2
3rd April 2009, 02:46 PM
How may got stuck with now, non-conforming drivers ?
May not have been engineered obsolescence but probably organised/ negotiated obsolescence.

Scottt
3rd April 2009, 05:03 PM
Have to agree with your comments about TM.:) My previous set of irons were the tour burners (1997); the only irons I know of that won four majors in a couple of years (Els, Jansen, Lehman & O'Meara). Play exactly like a true blade with a high centre of gravity.

Pings will be my next set (but orange for my specs).:)

Easy, strip the orange paintfill and put black in the dot. Standard length and lie :lol:

Lucasto23
5th April 2009, 11:34 AM
the pretty shinny drivers are wallet breakers, as we are all so eager to jump on the next fad in them. I would have t agree that any of the TM TP and of COURSE Titleist gear holds up pretty well, compared to the rest.

Moe Norman
5th April 2009, 12:19 PM
I've lost money on quite a few items, but only things that retained a spot in the bag long-term, most other things retained value reasonably well except for a few TM things.

I bought my R510 off perci for $285 and it was worth that for at least another 12 months, still got it now and its probably worth $100 max.

I bought some RAC TP Wedges off perci for $140 a pop, sold them 6 months later for $80 a pop barely used. Apart from that, most things I have bought/sold have made minimal loss.

Srixon irons - sold for what I paid
TM 300's - sold heads only to Canuck for minimal loss
Titty 690 - sold for what I paid
907D2 - had for 12months and only lost $50
Hogan Blades - paid $500, had them for 5 years and put massive dime marks in the faces and still got $275 for them!

Off the top of my head, thats been an ok run.

Dazza
5th April 2009, 12:27 PM
I broke even with my 3DX Square driver. Sold it locally, I purchased originally from the US when the dollar was up in the 90's.

Good times....

TheTrueReview
5th April 2009, 03:51 PM
Any anecdotes on Callaway resale value?

kwantfm
5th April 2009, 05:24 PM
The comments about Adams are so true... they lose their resale value IMMEDIATELY!

adlo
5th April 2009, 05:31 PM
The comments about Adams are so true... they lose their resale value IMMEDIATELY!

Which is good when you like Adams gear. Just wait a few months after release :mrgreen:

Johnny Canuck
5th April 2009, 09:29 PM
Which is good when you like Adams gear. Just wait a few months after release :mrgreen:

It's soooo good for us Adams fans. Can't wait for my new hybrid!

adlo
5th April 2009, 09:39 PM
It's soooo good for us Adams fans. Can't wait for my new hybrid!
Yeah I might have the Speedline driver show up on my front door in 6 month or so :)

Johnny Canuck
5th April 2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah I might have the Speedline driver show up on my front door in 6 month or so :)
I think it's about time that you step up to an x-stiff.

adlo
5th April 2009, 09:59 PM
I think it's about time that you step up to an x-stiff.
Slight change from a reg JC :D

I'd be looking at the Speedline with a stiff shaft when prices drop.

virge666
6th April 2009, 08:44 AM
Any anecdotes on Callaway resale value?

Cally are not bad . . . really not bad at all.

Any X series seem to do OK. The woods cop a beating if it is last years model.

But good brand awareness.

3oneday
6th April 2009, 08:56 AM
1/4 of the drivers on ebay are Cally (in Aus). Hard to know what is real and what isn't.

BrisVegas
6th April 2009, 09:05 AM
I've lost a bit of money on drivers, eg. 9J5 JVS $399, 905S $380, 907D2 $350. I bought these either retail or too soon after release, so copped the depreciation.

Most other stuff I've done ok on, as I've bought cheap and sold for not much less. I'm grateful to the people who have sold me clubs at good prices on here, so if I did offload something I'd always offer it up to ozgolfers first for a cheap price.

virge666
6th April 2009, 12:02 PM
Most other stuff I've done ok on, as I've bought cheap and sold for not much less. I'm grateful to the people who have sold me clubs at good prices on here, so if I did offload something I'd always offer it up to ozgolfers first for a cheap price.

+1, 2 & 3.

:smt038