PDA

View Full Version : Spinning to help find a cure for juvenile diabetes

kwantfm
1st April 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm participating in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation "Spin to Cure Diabetes" which will take place this Friday at Martin Place in Sydney. This event raises money to fund research into finding a cure for type 1 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is a chronic condition which affects over 140,000 Australians and millions more people world-wide. Every day, five more Australians, most of them children, are diagnosed with the disease.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that is not caused by diet or lifestyle or through any fault of the sufferer.

People don't grow out of it and there is no cure. A diagnosis of type 1 diabetes means up to six insulin injections, every day for the rest of their life.

Even with the best care a person with type 1 diabetes risks developing long-term health complications.

Diabetes:
Is the number one cause of adult blindness;
Is the number one cause of amputations not caused by an accident;
Increases the risk of stroke five times; and
Causes over 40% of the cases of kidney failure.

If you would like to make a donation please visit the following website

http://spin.jdrf.org.au/NSW/TerenceKwan/

Thank you for your support,
Terence

virge666
1st April 2009, 02:50 PM
Well done Mate - happy to support !

and top effort on the webpage !!!

kwantfm
1st April 2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the support Marcel, looking forward to seeing you again some time soon.

Well done Mate - happy to support !

and top effort on the webpage !!!

Cheers Virge, much appreciated.

Dotty
1st April 2009, 03:36 PM
I've sent a lobster off to the kiddies.

I may get down there, what time are you 'racing' ?

kwantfm
1st April 2009, 03:45 PM
I've sent a lobster off to the kiddies.

I may get down there, what time are you 'racing' ?

Thank you. We're scheduled for midday on Friday.

Grunt
1st April 2009, 04:23 PM
Another lobster to the cause, well done Terence

kwantfm
1st April 2009, 05:36 PM
Another lobster to the cause, well done Terence

Cheers Grunt

Scottt
1st April 2009, 08:10 PM
All this time I have been reading your username like a radio station: K-Want FM :lol: it all makes sense now...

How much do you expect to get for the lobsters at the Fish Market? I read the market price had gone down recently?

kwantfm
1st April 2009, 08:54 PM
How much do you expect to get for the lobsters at the Fish Market? I read the market price had gone down recently?

I'm hoping to still get $20 for each lobster!

henno
1st April 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm hoping to still get $20 for each lobster!

What a strange world, where a pineapple is worth more than a lobster! :mrgreen:

kwantfm
3rd April 2009, 08:24 PM
The Spin was held today... I'm still recovering hours later, that's how unfit I am!

My team was able to raise a total of $3,325 with an additional 50% of this being donated by the Macquarie Group Foundation.

Thanks so much to the generous people on this forum who contributed to this worthy cause.

Fishman Dan
3rd April 2009, 08:33 PM
I stopped on my way past - looked like punishment. Well done raising good money for a great cause.