PDA

View Full Version : week commencing March 30th 2009

Flowergirl
31st March 2009, 06:47 AM
Well the good run is over. Played at Sorrento yesterday . Although my ball striking was good - I got too up myself and tried to play A grade shots with a B grade ability - and it cost me big time. :smt013
Went for shots that were too risky - but that's all part of the learning game isn't it.

29 points.:shock: But I was very happy with my fairway shots so hopefully if I play smart on Wednesday in the Monthly Medal I'll have a better result.

Coffs_Hacker
31st March 2009, 07:06 AM
played a Pro-am day yesterday at Shellharbour. Was a nice afternoon with 3 trainees. Had 35pts with 2 wipes and 3 1ptrs.

8fir
3gir :smt093
29putts

dc68
31st March 2009, 03:29 PM
38pts at Gainsborough Greens today with PeteyD.

Course in fabbo nick.... Its a shame they are going to rip it up and reroute it.
Still a great layout with some temp holes.

Russell
1st April 2009, 05:05 AM
i think i peaked too early .played off 18hcp saturday for 42 points .followed with a social game on monday to shoot 81 of the stick, a pb .then played off 16hcp tues to shoot 42 points again.down to 14hcp now ,the lowest i've ever been, so im hoping my form doesnt desert me for monthly medal sat

Scottt
1st April 2009, 05:34 AM
Shit, great work Russell. Four shots lost in two games?!

Courty
1st April 2009, 05:57 AM
i think i peaked too early .played off 18hcp saturday for 42 points .followed with a social game on monday to shoot 81 of the stick, a pb .then played off 16hcp tues to shoot 42 points again.down to 14hcp now ,the lowest i've ever been, so im hoping my form doesnt desert me for monthly medal sat

Nice shooting Russell. That's a big drop in quick time! We should play our matchplay soon before your handicap gets back out. :lol:

haysey
1st April 2009, 06:15 AM

:smt038Way to go Russell:smt038

Nice shooting Russell. That's a big drop in quick time! We should play our matchplay soon before your handicap gets back out. :lol:

Me too:mrgreen:

Flowergirl
1st April 2009, 06:28 AM

WEll done Russell:smt038 We're twins now.;) 14

grandmasterb
1st April 2009, 09:25 AM

Lovely work Russell, keep the form going and you will single figures by the end of the year :mrgreen:

Well im due to tee off in a couple of hours and think its going to be a very interesting day. I've had a major swing change in the last 24hours and haven't really had time to hit enough balls where i feel comfortable with it :?

I'll make sure i post up 2night how i go and how much money i list :lol:

PeteyD
1st April 2009, 03:35 PM
After chopping about Gainsborough Greens yesterday, I continued my good form on the first 9 today at Reddy Bay(back 9). Finally came good on the front nine and started hitting em ok carding a 43 with a tired double on the last. Looking forward to Pathetic on Friday now.

dc68
1st April 2009, 03:37 PM
Well played russell...

Played with Shrek again today at reddy bay

76/71

Solid off the tee but only hit about 5 greens and 3 whacked one of those!!!

mike
1st April 2009, 10:50 PM
Holy shit Russell. You been practicing ?

Ned
1st April 2009, 11:10 PM
FFS, he wont be there too long, he is sleeping with the Club handicapper! :mrgreen:

Plus look at his stats, how many games has he played in the last 12 months, 220 plus!:smt108

Get in quick girls. For all the crap you give me, I ain't got nothing on this guy.:wink:

grandmasterb
2nd April 2009, 08:12 AM
41 points
5 FIR
8 GIR
3/4 UP & Downs
28 putts

New swing worked pretty well and even though i didn't hit as many fairways as i normally do i was only just off in the first cut 90% of the time.

Now all i have to do is work out my distances with the irons as i was hitting them longer than normal yesterday and it got me into trouble a couple of times!!!

Courty
2nd April 2009, 05:07 PM

I noticed in todays paper that Julie had 40 pts in the midweek comp. How many shots did she lose for that?

Russell
2nd April 2009, 05:52 PM
thankyou everyone for your support (even ned)
i actually might even be able to play to it.. played julie(25) and her friend maria(32) today in a friendly ,"matchplay for a ticket game" and shot 47 39, so i was quite happy.
didnt win the ticket though. i was 1 down going to the last, i cockily (is there such a word ,if not there should be) picked my ball out of the cup saying 5/3, only to watch maria putt for 6/3 i used to think ned was being a sooky-la-la when we played match play and he had to give me 9 shots,now i think i understand a bit better

Russell
2nd April 2009, 05:55 PM
I noticed in todays paper that Julie had 40 pts in the midweek comp. How many shots did she lose for that?

she lost 2 shots ,down to 25, you were hoping for a lot more ??:lol::lol:

Courty
2nd April 2009, 05:57 PM
she lost 2 shots ,down to 25, you were hoping for a lot more ??:lol::lol:

Every little bit helps. ;)

dc68
2nd April 2009, 08:30 PM
8 GIR
3/4 UP & Downs

Eh???

You've lost me on these stats...... you missed 10 greens but only list 4 u & d attempts

mikezone13
2nd April 2009, 09:07 PM
Eh???

You've lost me on these stats...... you missed 10 greens but only list 4 u & d attempts

Chipping out from under a tree (or hitting an iron so fat it goes half way) and hitting a full shot to the green for the next shot tends to account for most of those I'd say.

Flowergirl
3rd April 2009, 07:18 AM
Well done to Julie.:smt038

Well after play risky golf on Monday - I continued to make dumb choices on Wednesday. Two stupid holes in a row clocked up 5 extra shots - then twice in bunkers trying to play a hero shot rather than just getting the friggin thing out led to an 88 gross - net 74.:oops: Rest of the game was pretty good so I promised myself that I wouldn't let my ego get in the way when I played pennant the next day.

Played Rosebud Country Club on their own course. The match was squared.
I won the first 3 holes and never let her back in by playing smart golf ( except for 1 hole:oops:). Won 6/4.:mrgreen: The last hole we played I just played for the square. Smart.;)

One of our girls was 4 down with 6 to go. She won the next 6 holes to win 2 up. I was so so proud of her. What a great comeback.:smt038

Eag's
3rd April 2009, 08:15 AM
Nice shooting Russell & Julie :smt023

Courty
3rd April 2009, 09:09 PM
Single stab Chook Run this afternoon with the new R9 TP in the bag. I lurve this club. 8)

I did everything pretty well to go around 1 over for 21 pts. When I handed my card in, there was a 22 pointer on top of the pile. :(

36 gross
21 pts

4 fairways
6 greens
16 putts

1 birdie
6 pars
2 bogies

haysey
3rd April 2009, 09:21 PM
Single stab Chook Run this afternoon with the new R9 TP in the bag. I lurve this club. 8)

I did everything pretty well to go around 1 over for 21 pts. When I handed my card in, there was a 22 pointer on top of the pile. :(

36 gross
21 pts

4 fairways
6 greens
16 putts

1 birdie
6 pars
2 bogies

:smt038

Handicap reduction???

Courty
3rd April 2009, 09:24 PM
:smt038

Handicap reduction???

Roachie didn't think they would be handicapping the Chook Runs.

Anton drove the first this arve. Rolled it up between the guys putting. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there for him.

haysey
4th April 2009, 01:35 PM
Monthly medal at Cairns today, first time out playing off 9, playing matchplay. It was never going to be pretty,

93 nett 84

Way to many of everything. Especially bunker shots:cry:

Courty
4th April 2009, 02:02 PM
Monthly Medal at Cairns with Haysey, Cookie & Chopper71.

I started off poorly with 4 consecutive bogies and at +6 after the first 9 had almost written off the round. I managed to steady the ship and make some clutch putts on the back 9 to finish right on handicap.

79 gross
72 nett

9 fairways
7 greens
30 putts (including a quad :oops:)

3 birdies
7 pars
6 bogies
2 doubles

haysey
4th April 2009, 03:15 PM
I managed to steady the ship and make some clutch putts on the back 9 to finish right on handicap.

That was some clutch putting on 17:mrgreen:

Courty
4th April 2009, 03:42 PM
That was some clutch putting on 17:mrgreen:

:? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :p

haysey
4th April 2009, 04:32 PM
:? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :p

Or sand wedges:oops:.

I better let Tommo know he's got a shaft replacement to do:-s

giddyupgaz
4th April 2009, 07:06 PM
Played at Shepparton this morning, Monthly Medal. To preface the carnage I decided a lesson might be a good way to straighten out the swing issues so I had one on Thursday.
I had thought my ball striking was pretty good, but it is now officially shit house.
I struggled all day, hit 3 fairways, 6 bunkers and had 39 putts. 95 off the bat (worst score in 18 months) for a nett 81. Put together a good last 4-5 holes to stop the bat being raised - 51 front side 44 back.
Should you stick with the swing changes after such a dreadful day? Oh by the way first lesson ever so maybe there are a few issues to sort out

BrisVegas
4th April 2009, 07:26 PM
Single Stab today at Brookwater, backing up after yesterday's ambrose at City GC.

43+36=79 gross for 37 points.
11 fairways
9 GIR
33 putts (incl. 3 x 3 putts)

Started off with an ugly triple bogey on the first and had a couple of 3-jags on the front nine for 15 points. 3-putted the 10th as well (greens were so much slower than yesterday!!) and was kinda treading water a bit, but kept making pars through the 16th. On 17 (par 5) I was 90 out and holed a wedge for a surprise eagle, then made a par on the last to come in with 22 points and crack 80 for the first time in months. The guy I played with also had 79, his first time breaking 80 at Brookwater, so that was nice. I think his 39 points should win the comp, it was very wet and looong out there today.

oz
5th April 2009, 06:20 AM
79 - nett 73 - in the medal at Albury yesterday. Greens were cored on Monday, so they were pretty rough. But it was 3 stupid double bogies that did the damage, one of which included a good ol' shank. :lol:

Hit the pin on the par 3 4th - had that dropped in, it would have brightened up the day. Still haven't had an ace, but that one was close yesterday.

Dazza
5th April 2009, 10:15 AM
Played a social club 9 this morning.
Shot a 45 with 16 Putts.
Nothing overly flash, and honestly didn't think I'd be in the running at all.
Bogey, Par, Par, Double, Double, Bogey, Double, Bogey & Bogey.
Wedge play was outstanding today from 100mt in, landed a few within a few metres of the hole (Good for me! :) )
Played a few poor chip shots, with 2 running over the back of the green. Need to be a bit smarter when it comes to chipping around the green, use putter instead.
Dropped my 3rd shot off the front edge of the Par 5 8th Hole after recovering from the trees, then proceeded to chip the ball off the back. Recovered for bogey. :smt013
Managed to get 2nd on a countback, and took the 2nd shot pinshot on hole 2 after a great drive & pitch.

Wife shot a 70, with 20 putts.
Very hard for her to judge distance when it comes to putting, need to work out a bit of a system for her.
She was hitting my stiff-shafted hybrids better than her regular versions. :smt108 So it looks like a swap might be in order.
Still needs to work on her swing, seems to be overswinging & topping the ball a lot. But she's having a go, and making me very proud in the process.

Dotty
5th April 2009, 01:55 PM
After a few games getting 0.1 back over the past fortnight, I went down to Mona Vale this morning with the social club of 40.

Went to buy a softdrink before starting, and there was an ex-demo TM Tour Burner (Reax 60R) for $149 in the pro-shop clearance barrel.

So I jumped on last year's bandwagon, didn't miss a fairway, 38 points and now have an engraved silver plate for the mantlepiece. Woo hoo!

Edit. Also won a voucher for game and cart hire at Kooindah Waters. (So half my purchase price back in prizes, after one game.)

jimandr
5th April 2009, 07:09 PM
Went to buy a softdrink before starting, and there was an ex-demo TM Tour Burner (Reax 60R) for $149 in the pro-shop clearance barrel.

So I jumped on last year's bandwagon, didn't miss a fairway, 38 points and now have an engraved silver plate for the mantlepiece. Woo hoo!

If Mona Vale have any more, I'll be there. 30 points at New Brighton today with Grunt and Andrew. Apart from a few threeputts on cored/sanded greens, every dropped shot (or multiple shots) was due to sprayed drives, except for a horrible double on the 8th. I hit 12 fairways last Saturday. Today I hit three. It is time for the Hi-Bore to have another rest.

The score would have been much worse without some very good chipping. A hole-out, and two others within a foot.

For Scottt's benefit, I was 20ft past the flag on the 7th, and left the putt 5 feet short. "It looked like it would be quick!".

Diggaboy1
7th April 2009, 12:10 PM
I played in the monthly metal Saturday at Oxley I shot and 88 net 76. CCR 73 After 180mm of rain in the 2 days prior to Saturday and 60 mm Friday night the course was in wonderfully wet conditions.

Zero Run and no bunkers in play unless you felt like going fo a swim.

The trick was finding a dry place to drop your ball out of the causal water laying around.

Wet feet.

Other then the 10 I had on the second hole I played OK considering the conditions.
2 Birdies
4 pars
1 doubles bogie
10 bogies
a 10

Not to mention.
Having to push the buggy through the water the whole way around was tough going.
It would have to be the wettest I have ever seen the course.

Bonus is the course will be in great shape for the next few week to come.

BrisVegas
7th April 2009, 12:16 PM
wheres your home track digga?

Diggaboy1
7th April 2009, 12:46 PM
wheres your home track digga?

Oxley, How did brookwater fair with the rain??

BrisVegas
7th April 2009, 01:02 PM
brookwater was wet last weekend. clay soil like we've got really struggles for drainage. The groundstaff are spending a lot of money and time improving the drainage in bunkers so they cope better with heavy storms etc, but the clay will always be an issue.

Diggaboy1
7th April 2009, 01:26 PM
brookwater was wet last weekend. clay soil like we've got really struggles for drainage. The groundstaff are spending a lot of money and time improving the drainage in bunkers so they cope better with heavy storms etc, but the clay will always be an issue.

Sound very similar at Oxley. All the sand washes down to the bottom and exposes all the clay and the water takes a day or two to drain away. All the new bunkers aren't too bad they drain quite well, it's just the ones that have been there for a long time that drown.

I never seen so much grass on the course it's fantastic and the dam almost broke it's banks.

Come next Saturday, if the rain stops, the course will be great. The greens are in topnic lots of grass and they have been double cutting them of late for the pennants so they are pure. And the fairways are choice.

grandmasterb
7th April 2009, 07:37 PM
Eh???

The greens had been cored the day before say they were covered in sand which meant it was a one putt pick up rule.