PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Putter - How Much $$$$$ ?

Webster
31st March 2009, 07:35 AM
He has won 13 majors with the Scotty Cameron putter that he uses (he won his first Masters with a different Scotty). If it were put up for auction, how much do you reckon it would fetch?

Would it be the most expensive peice of sporting memorabilia that money could buy?

Jarro
31st March 2009, 07:37 AM
USD $1million i'd expect.

Although two weeks ago it might've gone for a lot less ;)

3oneday
31st March 2009, 07:40 AM
What Jarro said, he must be one of the few pros that doesn't regularly change putters.

Jarro
31st March 2009, 07:44 AM
Well i thought i read somewhere that he was gonna change from the Scotty to an old Ping putter .....

.. i mean, his putter is just a cheap copy of the older Pings right ?

Eag's
31st March 2009, 07:54 AM
If he did ever put it up for auction, it could go for anything. He might even donate it to the world golf museum?
People will pay crap loads to get their hands on anything that Woods may have used. Didn't some clown put an apple core on Ebay not so long ago?

Webster
31st March 2009, 07:55 AM
No its an expensive over priced copy of a PING Jarro. He did putt with an Anser 2 for a fair while.

Jarro
31st March 2009, 08:04 AM
No its an expensive over priced copy of a PING Jarro. He did putt with an Anser 2 for a fair while.

Oh yeah that's right ... he won a fair few majors with the Anser too didn't he

sms316
31st March 2009, 08:21 AM
He had a Ping grip, but I doubt he has used an Anser 2.

Webster
31st March 2009, 08:25 AM
I reckon this putter would sell for about ten million bucks, possibly even a bit more if that grip has been anywhere near Elin.

sms316
31st March 2009, 08:49 AM
I reckon this putter would sell for about ten million bucks, possibly even a bit more if that grip has been anywhere near Elin.
I would say Nike would up his contract by 10 million to switch to a Nike putter.

BrisVegas
31st March 2009, 08:51 AM
I thought (but too lazy to research) Tiger used the copper face Newport TeI3 at the 97 Masters??

snippit from the tragics at golfwrx....

Late 1996 - Cobra driver; Titleist PT 3 wood; MP29 long irons/MP-14 4-PW; Cleveland 588 RTG wedges. Putter varied, but included a Cameron SLC long neck and a Newport.

1997 - Cobra driver; Titleist PT 3 wood; same iron set and wedges. Varied putters, but mainly Newport TeI3. He began testing Titleist 975D drivers towards the end of the year.

1998 - Titleist 975D driver. Mainly steel-shafted, albeit did use a graphite shaft during the summer. Put Titleist irons into play in early '98, together with early versions of Titleist Vokey wedges in the spring. Putter again varied and included Mark O'Meara's back-up Ping Anser 2 at Birkdale.

1999 - Pretty much unchanged, albeit he settled on his current Newport 2 putter, I think at the Byron Nelson..

2000 - Still playing a 975D and a Titleist FW, together with Titleist 681 irons and wedges.

2001 - Began gaming one of several early Nike prototype drivers and also began playing the Tour Accuracy TW ball.

2002 - Bagged a set of Nike irons for the first time in his WGC win in Ireland together with a Nike 275cc driver. Still playing a 970 3 wood and Vokey wedges..

goughy
31st March 2009, 08:53 AM
Didn't he pay ping irons etc in his amateur days?

Webster
31st March 2009, 08:57 AM
He played Eye2's early in his amatuer days, but won all his US Am's with Mizuno irons I think. He also used the Anser 2 to win those US Am's (again I think).

Jarro
31st March 2009, 09:00 AM
He used a Taylormade driver once as well.

BrisVegas
31st March 2009, 09:12 AM
he'd go a 2-ball for sure richard. :roll:

sms316
31st March 2009, 09:20 AM
No way. Itsy-bitsy spider. Definately.

henno
31st March 2009, 09:31 AM
3ball SRT broomstick.

BrisVegas
31st March 2009, 09:32 AM
3ball SRT broomstick.

with a suction cup on the grip so he can get the ball out of the cup when his knees are shot. :smt038

razaar
31st March 2009, 09:36 AM
During an interview in 2008 Tiger confirmed he has been using his GSS Newport 2 since 1999 and he is not thinking about taking that putter out of his bag anytime soon. His backup putter is a Nike, I believe.

henno
31st March 2009, 09:42 AM
Offtopic, but GSS is the most bullshit trademark ever.

razaar
31st March 2009, 10:03 AM
Offtopic, but GSS is the most bullshit trademark ever.
GSS = German Stainless Steel. Maybe a batch of the steel was going cheap at the time, and was purchased by Titleist/Cameron & other putter makers.

henno
31st March 2009, 10:12 AM
GSS = German Stainless Steel. Maybe a batch of the steel was going cheap at the time, and was purchased by Titleist/Cameron & other putter makers.

I know what it stands for, I just think it's a big pile of steaming marketing shite. Wow, the stainless in my putter is german. I'm pretty sure the ball can't tell the difference where the steel came from.

It's just 303 stainless; it's not exotic whatsoever, and it makes me laugh that the golf companies always try to convince us of the rarity of some of these metals.

Johnny Canuck
31st March 2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with Jack.

I read somewhere that collectors had already discussed paying multi millions for it when he stops using it.

razaar
31st March 2009, 11:28 AM
I wonder if Tiger still has the SC Classic 1 he won the 1997 Masters with.

adlo
31st March 2009, 12:18 PM
I would guess $5 million US.

It would confirm, for the rest of time, that Scotty Cameron is overpriced crap!

grandmasterb
31st March 2009, 12:18 PM
It not the easiest thing to put a price on but when ever the day comes im sure it will shock everyone with the price it sells for.

Nothing really even comes close in terms of "value" for other sporting memorabilia and when you consider things that have sold and then a few years later are valued at under half of the original.

BrisVegas
31st March 2009, 12:52 PM
i cant see him selling it. Time and time again he has said he trusts that particular putter because "it" has done the job for him when it mattered. He seems to be emphasising "it" a bit too much which suggests it's a psych/superstitious attachment now. Scotty has built identical replicas for him as spares, but he never "games" one of the replicas when it counts for anything. I sure hope that putter never gets lost....

Iain
31st March 2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I think even when he stops playing he won't sell it. Even if had to use a replica one, I'm sure he'd start winning with "it" and then it wouldn't phase him....

jaybam
31st March 2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe we should take "IT" when he is here playing golf and hold it to ransom. Surely some of you dodgey baggage handlers could manage that when ever you go back to work??? :)

Sydney Hacker
31st March 2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe we should take "IT" when he is here playing golf and hold it to ransom. Surely some of you dodgey baggage handlers could manage that when ever you go back to work??? :)

Hmm, somehow I doubt the highest paid sportsman in the world will be arriving on a qantas flight for his jaunt down under...

sms316
31st March 2009, 03:38 PM
Surely...

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/371/tigerairways.jpg

Grunt
31st March 2009, 07:00 PM
Tigers Wedges,

I saw a slow motion zoom of one of his bunker shots from the Arnold Palmer yesterday. He definitely has Nike "V" markings on his wedges now.

Tongueboy
3rd June 2010, 04:32 PM
wonder what it is worth now?

henno
3rd June 2010, 04:33 PM
wonder what it is worth now?

A blow job should cover it.

TheTrueReview
3rd June 2010, 05:19 PM
A blow job should cover it.

You volunteering Henno? :razz:

Tongueboy
3rd June 2010, 05:36 PM
a crook rotator cuff? he might

TourFit
3rd June 2010, 11:02 PM
Is it worth more or less with the dings in it caused by Elin weilding it at his head ???

And the question should really be "How much would you get for Yoss's Scotty Cameron???"

Hux
4th June 2010, 08:25 AM
I know what it stands for, I just think it's a big pile of steaming marketing shite. Wow, the stainless in my putter is german. I'm pretty sure the ball can't tell the difference where the steel came from.

It's just 303 stainless; it's not exotic whatsoever, and it makes me laugh that the golf companies always try to convince us of the rarity of some of these metals.

Actually it is a bit exotic. Its not a normal stainess but aged stainless steel. It is quite expensive and you would not actually be able to buy aged SS from a merchant here in Aus in square or rect bar form - probably round bar in certain sizes.

Whether it is 303 or another form of stainless I couldn't say. It makes the steel much better to machine and is an actual process that can be applied to most steel to my knowledge.

I did a google to make sure I was on solid ground on this - think maraging steel used in the faces of some clubs - which is a blend of aged and martenistic steel.

I'm no real machinist but steel is not steel when it comes to machining and its properties afterwards. There are stacks of different grades of I have used some - eg a machining grade of 303 stainless (a while back 303L from memory) to turn some roller pins for a boat trailer and its definitely a better thing than normal. Same deal with various carbon steels - there are different crystaline structures that make quite a different to the job and not unusually the best stuff is also quite expensive.

henno
4th June 2010, 08:38 AM
Yes, but we're talking about a putter, not a geometrically perfect machined bearing.

Great post though. It's good to feed my brain this early in the morning.

PeteyD
4th June 2010, 09:22 AM
Don't feed it after midnight, one Henwah is more than enough.

razaar
4th June 2010, 10:30 AM
Actually it is a bit exotic. Its not a normal stainess but aged stainless steel. It is quite expensive and you would not actually be able to buy aged SS from a merchant here in Aus in square or rect bar form - probably round bar in certain sizes.

Whether it is 303 or another form of stainless I couldn't say. It makes the steel much better to machine and is an actual process that can be applied to most steel to my knowledge.

I did a google to make sure I was on solid ground on this - think maraging steel used in the faces of some clubs - which is a blend of aged and martenistic steel.

I'm no real machinist but steel is not steel when it comes to machining and its properties afterwards. There are stacks of different grades of I have used some - eg a machining grade of 303 stainless (a while back 303L from memory) to turn some roller pins for a boat trailer and its definitely a better thing than normal. Same deal with various carbon steels - there are different crystaline structures that make quite a different to the job and not unusually the best stuff is also quite expensive.
Nothing exotic about Tiger's gamer Hux. It is the NP2, the general concensus is that this model is cast from GSS, which is why he can't find a replacement that feels exactly the same. It first appeared in his bag at the 1999 Byron Nelson. Before that he was using the Tel3 which was milled by Bob Bettinardi for Scotty Cameron. He putted with Pings through his amatuer years, which are cast and have a clickly feel which he obviously prefers.