PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala

damoocow
30th March 2009, 11:59 PM
Watched this on tele tonight - could not find anything funny at all - is the use of the term 'comedy' in the title a breach of the trades descriptions act ? - maybe it is just me but it all seemed like the type of humour that would appeal to your elderly Aunt [senile and easily pleased] - the card magician guy was good but the rest of the card were abysmal...

adlo
31st March 2009, 12:54 AM
I haven't seen this years damo, but have thought the same thing in previous years.

Good stand up comedy is very hard to find.

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on these forums of who is worthwhile seeing live. I could recommend:

Dylan Moran
Carl Barron

I would love to see Steve Coogan when he is town, but think I have to miss it.

goughy
31st March 2009, 08:51 AM
Tend to agree with you Damo! The card guy was good, without all the swearing or references to his balls!! Pretty much the rest relied on how loud they could emphasise the word ****... Apparently when you say it in a loud strained voice it's humour!

You're gonna hate this, but I do like Arg.

We have sound bites of these comedians on the radio up here all the time and honestly I'd just prefer to have an ad.

henno
31st March 2009, 08:53 AM
You're gonna hate this, but I do like Arg.

I also like Arg. Perhaps there is a rehab clinic you and I should join, as it seems to be quite socially unacceptable to like him as a comedian.

Bruce
31st March 2009, 09:40 AM
Arj Barker's work on Flight of the Conchords is excellent.

I'm not really inspired by this year's festival. Might see a couple of things.

Coogan is definitely the biggest drawcard this year. Alan Partridge is one of the great comic characters.

sms316
31st March 2009, 09:53 AM
Most of the Australian "comedy" seems to be same shit - different smell. Whoever keeps employing Julia Morris needs to be deported.

AndyP
31st March 2009, 11:27 AM
I try not to watch comedy, in case I laugh and strain a rarely used muscle in my face.

Sydney Hacker
31st March 2009, 11:33 AM
Most of the Australian "comedy" seems to be same shit - different smell. Whoever keeps employing Julia Morris needs to be deported.

I have to agree, whenever I see her one anything it is a mad dash for the remote control to get her off the screen asap !

Andrew
31st March 2009, 11:53 AM
Damo, did you watch the entire show?

sms316
31st March 2009, 12:00 PM
I think the use of her in those bran ads is very clever. She sure gives me the shitz.
Merv Hughes was better, especially when he referred to "laying a brick".
:mrgreen:

adlo
31st March 2009, 12:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with Arj Barker. He is hot and cold, but then most comedians are.

sms316
31st March 2009, 12:17 PM
I reckon you would get more laughs listening to Kerry O'Keeffe for an hour than you would with most Aussie comics.

adlo
31st March 2009, 12:18 PM
I reckon you would get more laughs listening to Kerry O'Keeffe for an hour than you would with most Aussie comics.
No doubt about it.

Sydney Hacker
31st March 2009, 12:19 PM

Does that include him laughing at himself ?

henno
31st March 2009, 12:29 PM

No question there. Skull is an absolute legend. Just ask him, he'll probably tell you how much of a legend he thinks he is.

(And for some reason, him laughing at his own jokes just makes me laugh harder.)

sms316
31st March 2009, 12:33 PM
No question there. Skull is an absolute legend. Just ask him, he'll probably tell you how much of a legend he thinks he is.

(And for some reason, him laughing at his own jokes just makes me laugh harder.)
Hopefully this link still works (I can't access it at work).

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200603/r74772_210339.mp3

Worst joke ever. Best delivery and reaction ever.

henno
31st March 2009, 12:35 PM
I can't access it at work either, but I already know what it is.

Absolute classic.

damoocow
31st March 2009, 12:43 PM
Damo, did you watch the entire show?

I missed the last act [Arj Barker] as I'd had enough by then and I think the only other thing I missed was Denise Scott [who is boring anyway]

adlo
31st March 2009, 12:49 PM
Coogan is definitely the biggest drawcard this year. Alan Partridge is one of the great comic characters.
Ain't that the truth...

'...and that was joni mitchell with big yellow taxi; a song in which joni complains how they paved paradise to put up a parking lot. i actually reckon it would have done alot to alleviate congestion around the edge of paradise; a point which joni fails to recognise... obviousy doesn't fit into her blinkered view of society.'

http://digital-lifestyles.info/copy_images/alan-partridge-lg.jpg

BrisVegas
31st March 2009, 12:55 PM
I try not to watch comedy, in case I laugh and strain a rarely used muscle in my face.

:smt038

Julie
31st March 2009, 01:01 PM

Well after meeting you AndyP..........thats funny!:lol::lol::lol:

Andrew
31st March 2009, 09:42 PM
I missed the last act [Arj Barker] as I'd had enough by then and I think the only other thing I missed was Denise Scott [who is boring anyway]

The only reason I asked is that I tend to put those shows on then walk in & out as I depending on who I like or don't like. That way the crap (& there was plenty in this years gala) doesn't frustrate me.

I didn't mind Arj or Tim Minchem (or whatever his name is).

Scottt
31st March 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm trying to think of this young comic from Blacktown who I saw at last years MICF gala, but his bloody name escapes me and every time I google for comedian and Blacktown it just wants to tell me about Mick-funnyasafartinanelevator-Meredith.

Wish I could remember...

damoocow
31st March 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to think of this young comic from Blacktown who I saw at last years MICF gala, but his bloody name escapes me and every time I google for comedian and Blacktown it just wants to tell me about Mick-funnyasafartinanelevator-Meredith.

Wish I could remember...

Is Mick Meredith the bald guitarist 'comic' who sometimes appears on the footy show ? - if so, he is a tool.........

Funniest person I have ever seen on one of those 'gala' shows was a fat bearded guy called [something]Kitson - he was hilarious.

Scottt
31st March 2009, 10:58 PM
Is Mick Meredith the bald guitarist 'comic' who sometimes appears on the footy show ? - if so, he is a tool..........

That's him.

Funniest person I have ever seen on one of those 'gala' shows was a fat bearded guy called [something]Kitson - he was hilarious.

:lol: :lol:

Dotty
31st March 2009, 11:26 PM
I just saw this, and I want my 2 hours back.

Two of the musical numbers may have been funny (Yank C&W singing about Bundy Rum drinkers and rap version of Australian History), but it was hard to hear the lyrics over the backing music.

And the other two had already been on Spicks and Specks.

The card trick and ventriloquist had a fresh twist to each, but the rest was just stale.

Bruce
1st April 2009, 10:11 AM
Daniel Kitson is the fat bearded bloke and I've been a fan of his for years.

AlexMc
2nd April 2009, 09:15 PM
Went to the Festival last year - go and see Jason Byrne. Awesome. Saw Arj Barker last year - was very similar to the show I saw him do a few years ago. Dave Hughes was awful, Wil Anderson was fantastic tho.

But Jason Byrne was awesome - go see him and Tim Minchen.