PDA

View Full Version : How to find a good teaching pro?

simmsy
30th March 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm looking to get a few lessons to work on some consistency. I have the pro at my club in Perth that I could use, great bloke and we get along well but to be honest how do I know if he is the best choice for my money. Anyone have any pro's of choice (golf teaching one's - not the one's opposite JC's work place) that might be worth checking out. I don't want a teacher that wants to make you his prize project for the next 12 months though.

cheers

Simmsy..

Scottt
30th March 2009, 11:04 PM
Seems to be a few West Aussies looking for some help at the moment.

In all seriousness, you Perth fellas should all throw some cash in and fly Virge over for a couple of days. Best investment you can make in your game, IMO.

adlo
30th March 2009, 11:07 PM
Simmsy,

Paul Smith, the iseekgolfguru is meant to be a good coach, but he does take the "project" angle so it is likely to cost you some serious coin.

Rob Farley at Wembley seems good. He coaches the WA Junior State Squad and has a coaching style that works with your current swing. He is a good communicator. Rebjon and I played a pro-am with him and he was happy to dish out a heap of free advice. All of which made a lot of sense. If I got a lesson, I'd probably head to see him.

simmsy
30th March 2009, 11:12 PM
cheers adlo, i might go and speak with rob at wembley then and see what he has to say.

adlo
30th March 2009, 11:15 PM
You should be able to grab a half hour lesson to see what you think. If you don't like him, you haven't lost much.

He might even help you find an extra 10m with that driver too ;)

simmsy
30th March 2009, 11:31 PM
yeah, have decided to heed the advice that I continually here on this site,
like my old man has always told me "a good tradesman never blames his tools and the crap ones can please themselves"

razaar
31st March 2009, 04:15 AM
What about the pro who looks after Michael Foster from your club.

Iain
31st March 2009, 06:29 PM
What about Brisbane? Any good recommendations?

rebjon
3rd April 2009, 02:54 PM
Seems to be a few West Aussies looking for some help at the moment.

In all seriousness, you Perth fellas should all throw some cash in and fly Virge over for a couple of days. Best investment you can make in your game, IMO.

I'm thinking we should fly Virge over :)

adlo
3rd April 2009, 02:56 PM
Dunno about this GE swing....

rebjon
3rd April 2009, 04:08 PM
We need to be shown properly not just a guess......if we were to go down that road...I do...

I have been looking at his short game stuff and i think its amazing....

virge666
3rd April 2009, 04:14 PM
Go and see Paul Smith - Nice guy and has that brain of coaching all sports that is pretty good.

Do a lesson a month for 6 months or so - best thing you can do.

Will be in WA in about 2 months. :)

relentless1
3rd April 2009, 04:36 PM
if you go to driving ranges there's normally some teachers around, you can watch them to see if you like their style of teaching and then have a chat to them

Johnny Canuck
3rd April 2009, 04:41 PM
Glen Carbon. Very famous WA amateur. Not an accredited pro anymore I believe (If he was ever one). Works out of Murdoch Pines driving range. Has a "cult" following and I am a true believer. I've had two lessons with him and he sorted out some major issues I was having.

I had a lesson with him on a Thursday, lost a comp on Friday on a countback and won a comp on the Saturday. Basically what I'm saying is that he keeps it simple and it was easy to pick up.

He would be more than willing to have a chat and let you know if he felt he could help you or not. He is always willing to give free advice, which is partly how I discovered him. I was struggling in a bunker, he came over and sorted me in aboot two minutes, no charge.

adlo
4th April 2009, 08:24 AM
Will be in WA in about 2 months. :)

Rebjon just started crying.

Got some spare time?

virge666
4th April 2009, 08:49 AM
Rebjon just started crying.

Stopping for about 90 minutes on a plane flight change !!!

:lol:

adlo
4th April 2009, 08:52 AM
Stopping for about 90 minutes on a plane flight change !!!

:lol:

Video lesson at the airport?

gazgolf1
4th April 2009, 09:02 AM
What about Brisbane? Any good recommendations?

Eagsy has a massive wrap on one of the guys at Vic pk....Chris someone.

Iain
4th April 2009, 09:08 AM
Yeah, another guy I know had lessons with him too, Chris Gibson. Might give him a crack.

He also teaches the Club Champ at Redland Bay.

Eag's
4th April 2009, 02:09 PM
Eagsy has a massive wrap on one of the guys at Vic pk....Chris someone.

Yeah, another guy I know had lessons with him too, Chris Gibson. Might give him a crack.

He also teaches the Club Champ at Redland Bay.

Yeah, Chris Gibson is by far the best coach I have seen 8-)
Very uncomplicated methods and a top bloke. I have had 6 lessons with him so far and things are really starting to click for me :D

Iain
4th April 2009, 04:17 PM
Eag's and other's, whats the best option for an initial lesson? 1 hour? Or is 30mins enough?

Eag's
4th April 2009, 04:30 PM
Eag's and other's, whats the best option for an initial lesson? 1 hour? Or is 30mins enough?

30 mins is fine just to sort out what area you want to improve, then book in for a 1 hour the lesson after. He will ask you a lot of questions initially and form a plan of attack from there.

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 09:30 PM
Paul Smith is the TGM guy from ISG yeah?

adlo
5th May 2009, 09:31 PM
Correct.

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 09:43 PM
That site scares me a little bit

adlo
5th May 2009, 09:49 PM
Just a little?

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 09:57 PM
Mmm some of the things that get said, well I guess everyone is different.
But Paul Smith is ok?

adlo
5th May 2009, 09:58 PM
I have only met him. 2 guys here, rebjon and idgolfguy both have had lessons. In fact, add Just to that list. He had a lesson when over in WA.

From what I hear he is decent. Not my cup of tea from what I have been told.

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Fair enough cheers for info, when you say not your cup of tea? Just trying to get a handle on the guy.

adlo
5th May 2009, 10:07 PM
Loves TGM. Very technically minded.

Also has a fairly intense schedule of lessons in mind to work with new students. Big $$ are needed.

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 10:12 PM
Not really what I'm chasing either, cheers aldo

adlo
5th May 2009, 10:18 PM
No worries. What are you looking for?

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 10:24 PM
I dunno, something not to pricey! And something not to intense I don't really have that kind of time. The bloke at wembley sounds more like it. What are the guys at collier park like? That probably my closet course.
I'm off about 16 or so atm and I know I can hit the ball well its just I don't really know what I've done when I've hit it well and when I've hit it badly.

adlo
5th May 2009, 10:28 PM
Not sure about Collier Park guys. I see the asian coach teaching a fair bit, and see some students doing some strange drills.

Post a vid up here for Razaar and Virge to pull apart. A great place to start.

Yossarian
5th May 2009, 10:37 PM
That sounds like a cheap option :) i'll drag the camera out next time i'm at the range

Mayhem
5th May 2009, 10:49 PM
Glen Carbon. Very famous WA amateur. Not an accredited pro anymore I believe (If he was ever one). Works out of Murdoch Pines driving range. Has a "cult" following and I am a true believer. I've had two lessons with him and he sorted out some major issues I was having.

I had a lesson with him on a Thursday, lost a comp on Friday on a countback and won a comp on the Saturday. Basically what I'm saying is that he keeps it simple and it was easy to pick up.

He would be more than willing to have a chat and let you know if he felt he could help you or not. He is always willing to give free advice, which is partly how I discovered him. I was struggling in a bunker, he came over and sorted me in aboot two minutes, no charge.

I have also had a chat with this bloke JC. Makes me nervous as he wanders over and gives advice to EVERYONE. Shows he is a nice guy who loves the game.

He showed me some things to help improve my hybrid contact. It was effective enough., I was striking the ball well. Didn't feel natural though. The main issue was lie angle and my address at the ball. I wouldn't mind having lessons with the guy.

Always just hangs around and offers advice to the choppers at Murdoch. Enthusiasm!!

vovo
6th May 2009, 12:08 AM
whats an acceptable price for a lesson, is there a price where you would think someone is not up to standard (charging to little).

How much does Glen Carbon charge? If JC is impressed then I am pretty sure he can't damage my game, this seems a good option as I work what I can estimate (from looking at a map) 5mins away.

I had a lesson with Garry Calder in Brisbane and was quite impressed, though I live too far away now to make that option feasible.

BrisVegas
6th May 2009, 07:02 AM
$40-50 for a 30 minute lesson is the ballpark for what I thought was reasonable.

I am getting a series of 6 lessons from Mark Weir at Brookwater and he seems a decent coach to me. Not that I'd know, I've only had a few lessons in my life.

Jono
6th May 2009, 10:32 AM
$40-50 for a 30 minute lesson is the ballpark for what I thought was reasonable.

I am getting a series of 6 lessons from Mark Weir at Brookwater and he seems a decent coach to me. Not that I'd know, I've only had a few lessons in my life.

How is that going, Dion?

BrisVegas
6th May 2009, 12:23 PM
How is that going, Dion?

1 lesson down, 5 to go. I'm working on finishing my turn properly to keep things on plane. It feels pretty weird at the moment and I have a lot of work to do....

He's a nice bloke and knows his stuff.