PDA

View Full Version : Shaft tip trimming help

goonie
29th March 2009, 04:55 PM
Got a Fuji vista pro 70 to put in my 3 wood, but it's a reg not a stiff, if anyone has any experience with these shafts (virge maybe) how much should I tip it to bring it up to a stiff. The trimming guide I found says not to tip until a 5 wood, so I am thinking 0.5" to 1".

My SS is 100-105 with the driver, Gary from GCI measured my swing (many years ago) and said that I fitted an s300, rifle 5.5 in the irons.

Jontea
5th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Goonie, depending on the depth of the bore and the starting position of frequency of the existing shaft, then you could determine how much to tip trim. If it played reg in your driver originally, then 1" is a good guess.

TheNuclearOne
5th April 2009, 09:05 PM
I did a couple of experiments tipping regulars to stiff and it just didn't work Goonie. One was with a Fuji Vista Tour and i am pretty sure they have the same tip trim instructions, or certainly close. One theory says that enough tipping will get the tip up a flex but never the overall profile.

That's just my findings mate. I don't think the Pro is overly stiff to flex either.

virge666
5th April 2009, 10:06 PM
Got a Fuji vista pro 70 to put in my 3 wood, but it's a reg not a stiff, if anyone has any experience with these shafts (virge maybe) how much should I tip it to bring it up to a stiff. The trimming guide I found says not to tip until a 5 wood, so I am thinking 0.5" to 1".

Take about 1/2 an inch off.

it should CPM just below a stiff flex shaft.

The Vista 70 is a very low spin shaft - we use to put them in 13 degree drivers in X flex to get the spin of the 13 degree down.

The full inch will be too much - 1/2" shoudl be on the button.

TheNuclearOne
5th April 2009, 10:31 PM

The Vista 70 is a very low spin shaft - we use to put them in 13 degree drivers in X flex to get the spin of the 13 degree down.

I think you may have the Vista Pro mixed up with the Vista Tour Virge. The Tour has an incredibly stiff tip profile and is low launch low spin while the 70 Pro is mid and mid. 4.0 torque on the Pro.

goonie
6th April 2009, 02:55 PM
You said 2" on the PM you sent me virge

virge666
6th April 2009, 03:40 PM
You said 2" on the PM you sent me virge

Got a Fuji vista pro 70 to put in my 3 wood,

Sorry - crossed purposes.

If the shaft you have is an uncut shaft, 1.5"
If the shaft you have is a pull out - 1/2"
if it is going into a bore through shaft - 1" and don't touch it.

Sorry - got confused on the origin of the shaft.

virge666
6th April 2009, 03:45 PM
I think you may have the Vista Pro mixed up with the Vista Tour Virge. The Tour has an incredibly stiff tip profile and is low launch low spin while the 70 Pro is mid and mid. 4.0 torque on the Pro.

They are still stupidly low launching shafts. i have found we need a bit more height & spin with these shafts to keep the ball up in the air.

The Vista Tour is again - stupidly low launching and stupidly low spin, like some of the Accra shafts. Good solid feel at impact - but you had to have some speed to keep it airborne.

Not to be confused with OEM Vista shafts, they were spin machines, especially the 27.3 that come with a few Cally drivers back in the day. Much like the RE-AX of today. these were cheap lowest common rubbish shafts.

Everyone confused yet ?

TheNuclearOne
6th April 2009, 05:27 PM
They are still stupidly low launching shafts. i have found we need a bit more height & spin with these shafts to keep the ball up in the air.

The Vista Tour is again - stupidly low launching and stupidly low spin, like some of the Accra shafts. Good solid feel at impact - but you had to have some speed to keep it airborne.

Not to be confused with OEM Vista shafts, they were spin machines, especially the 27.3 that come with a few Cally drivers back in the day. Much like the RE-AX of today. these were cheap lowest common rubbish shafts.

Everyone confused yet ?

I found the Vista Pro's (real ones) in the 60 and 70 to be mid launch and spin and not particularly stout. When you get into the VP 80's and 90's the kickpoint and tip stiffness go up. The pro's are a good FW shaft especially given you can nab them for $20usd and less brand new. They were Fuji's lower (lowest from memory) level shaft aimed at the common market.

The Vista Tour is low spin for sure. Profiling shows a freakishly stiff tip but playability (and a teeny bit of feel) is retained thru a softer butt and 3.5 of torque, much in the way (softer butt, more so than torque with the WB of course) of the legendary Whiteboard. The WB has higher class materials tho and is definitely smoother. It should be given the price diff, but the VT is a great shaft for those it fits.

The OEM shafts you speak of were called the Fujikura Tour Platforms. 27.3 etc etc. I agree they were pretty loose.

Let us know how it goes Goonie, i'm doubtful you will get a Pro Regular stiff enough but if you do it will go well in a 3 wood. I tipped the living shit out of a VT60 reg and couldn't even get it to stiff.