PDA

View Full Version : Public Golf Courses in Canberra?? (Help Please)

ktz
26th March 2009, 02:08 PM
Hello Folks,

My Family, Girlfriend and I are travelling to Canberra for a week towards the end of May this year and are looking to brave the cold and play a Public Course or 2 while we are there.

Does anybody have any ideas for us?

We are compotent beginners (playing for a year and a bit) and just looking for something with a little bit of a challenge...

Cheers in Advance,

Mark

Note: If this thread is in the wrong forum I apologise and please (mods) move it to the right one.

AndyP
26th March 2009, 02:10 PM
Gungahlin Lakes sounds like the perfect course for you.

Some of the locals should be able to point you in the right direction.

sms316
26th March 2009, 02:16 PM
Gold Creek - they only use one tee for members comps, so you can get on anytime after midday (Sat) and 10.30am (Sun). Cost about $40 ea.

Murrumbidgee on a Sunday is an option. Cost about $30ea.

Queanbeyan/Capital/Belconnen may be options on the Sunday, but you would need to call to find out. Would go Qbn of these 3 options.

Gungahlin/Yowani/Federal would be pretty limited.

ktz
26th March 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Guys will check them out :)

AndyP
26th March 2009, 06:21 PM
ktz didn't say anything about weekends only, sms.

Dotty
26th March 2009, 07:04 PM
I visit Canberra each winter, and played a few of the courses over recent years.

Based on your requirements, I'd favour Queanbeyan, which is over in the eastern side of town.

Yowani (to the north) is in a pleasant setting, also worth consideration.

I've only played it once, but I found Gunghalin Lakes (north-west) frustrated me, in that I found trouble quite easily. (We were rushing to finish before dark, so that didn't help.) Depends on your style of play.

Gold Creek (also north-west) is a longer walk and wider fairways, but set in a new residential development. Long, wayward hitters will be nervous about landing one in someone's backyard.

I don't know whether Federal has general public access, but could be an option, if you want to pay the extra dollars. Located just south of Parlianment House. Also a tougher walk, with the hills.

The blokes that pick the courses for us, don't bother going back to Murrumbidgee or Belconnen (Magpies?).

Scottt
26th March 2009, 08:14 PM
Gold Creek was magic when there were no houses!

WBennett
26th March 2009, 09:39 PM
Locals perspective - all depends on the day and where you are staying

May isn't that cold - it might be cool or frosty in the morning but 20 during the day... July and August are cold.

Royal and Federal - private tracks hard to get on.

Yowani is private but you could be ok if you are a member elsewhere.

Queanbeyan is a tight and tough track but completely public.

Gold Creek is easy to get on to mid week, but be prepared to pay $60-75 including a cart as its a bloody long walk.

My home track is Gungahlin Lakes, but its undergoing levelling of tees and the building of half a dozen new bunkers.

TheTrueReview
26th March 2009, 10:07 PM
I was in Canberra in August last year. Played Federal twice during the week & no problems getting on. If you take an introductory letter from your home course, they discount the round.

razaar
27th March 2009, 07:38 AM
Gold Creek was magic when there were no houses!
Must have taken something to drink with you. There are no drinking fountains on this course.:(

sms316
27th March 2009, 08:59 AM
From what I have heard in the last couple of days;

Stay the hell away from Murrumbidgee - they aren't watering their fairways. It is like a desert, with massive cracks in the middle of the fairways which you could lose a small animal in.

Gungahlin Lakes is rumoured to have prepared 18 temporary greens. Benno might be able to confirm that (please do - I'm playing pennant there in a few weeks).

WBennett
27th March 2009, 04:32 PM
SMS - no idea what the status of the course is. I will struggle to get on there before September with footy starting this weekend and no 2 due in a fortnight or so...

I live near enough on it, just can't play on it!

Greeny
30th March 2009, 11:38 AM
I played Capital GC yesterday. Short little track and good for high handicappers and an odd game for non-golfers. Very dry and hard at the moment.

tg01
31st March 2009, 07:04 AM
Play Goldcreek and if they let you on try Federal, but if you are't a member somewhere else you may struggle. Then try Queanbeyan or the lakes as other options.

Avoid Capital, Murrumbidgee, Belconnen

sms316
31st March 2009, 08:57 AM
Gungahlin Lakes is rumoured to have prepared 18 temporary greens. Benno might be able to confirm that (please do - I'm playing pennant there in a few weeks).
Gungahlin is using temporary greens from time to time during the week only, while they are doing maintenance (only 1 or 2 at a time).

Goldie is probably the best option. It is very playable for people of all standards. You won't spend much time looking for balls. Most people take carts there, although I don't really understand why. The walk isn't that bad - even for a fat **** like me.

WBennett
31st March 2009, 12:25 PM
" Very dry and hard at the moment"

It has not properly rained in Canberra this year. That describes everywhere right now!

tg01
1st April 2009, 06:29 PM
Benno

What the **** are they doing to the 9th hole? Looks like they are really tightening the green, with a small opening? That hole never seems to be left alone....

Might dry and hard but the Lakes looks ok from the road?

WBennett
3rd April 2009, 01:30 PM
Not sure TG - from the road it looks like they are bunkering the right fairway 100m out to take away the best line in.

They are also rebuilding the bunker front left (never been in it in 200 rounds), and the bunker 5 metres right of the green (twice in 200 rounds) is being brought in closer to the green and perhaps short of the green. It will make it a tough green to hold when playing with a 3 club tailwind later in the day.

All the changes seem to be fine for the early starters, but will punish those playing in the afternoon when the Gungahlin Doctor comes up. All the new traps seem to be in spots where the afternoon wind will bring them into play, but not effect the morning guys...