PDA

View Full Version : Hello, newbie here

symowallo
25th March 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

Just dropping by to say hi. Just getting into the sport so be gentle... still learning... have played roughly once a year for the last 10 years - sad, I know, but that's it, I'm going to get into it properly from now on! My wife pushed me into it, believe it or not. She decided that I needed a new set of clubs for my birthday because my other set that I inherited from my younger brother were about 20 years old and looking pretty sad... So I didn't complain!!!!! Got myself a set of Wilson ProStaffs - pretty happy with how they feel and had them custom fitted. And now she wants to get into it too. At least that makes justification of extra kit much easier.

Decided to start lessons last weekend at Hudson Park in Sydney and it was sad. I haven't been hitting properly according to the pro (I wasn't doing a full swing, let alone a proper swing) and I tell you, learning how to hit it properly has put me back about 20 years - it feels like I am hitting the ball for the first time!!!!

I am amazed at how much easier it is to hit the ball with the current technology in clubs - hearing that satisfying "ting" from a driver or hybrid hit is something I never used to hear from the old "real woods" and fairway irons that I had in the old kit. It's really increased my enthusiasm for the sport knowing that I have a decent chance to hit the ball reasonably well these days.

Well the next thing will probably be to find a club to join in the future but I'll make sure I can play properly first - right now I'm too embarrassed to join a club 'coz I can't play for shit!

Anyway this forum seems like a pretty friendly place so I look forward to hanging around here.

adlo
25th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Welcome.

Y'all come right in you hear. They be decent folk around these here parts.

Scottt
25th March 2009, 09:55 PM
Welcome mate. Where in Sydney are you?

symowallo
25th March 2009, 10:03 PM
Welcome mate. Where in Sydney are you?

Croydon area (Inner West). Still getting a feel for the local courses.

Scottt
25th March 2009, 10:12 PM
Nice area. Barnwell Park and Massey Park over Concord/Five Dock way aren't bad options in the area. Barnwell Park has some nice bayside views. Marrickville is a good beginners' course and Bardwell Valley (near Bexley) is another shorter course that's worth a look, as is Bexley itself, which is better again. Then over at Auburn you've got Carnarvon and obviously Hudson Park you're aware of.

All are good beginner options. Carnarvon is easily the best track of the bunch and would be the toughest, IMO. Haven't played Bexley, but Grunt speaks highly of it.

symowallo
26th March 2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Scottt,

Yeah I have played at Massey Park - I enjoyed it last time I played there in January. Also played at Barnwell Park a year ago, it wasn't bad either but the greens weren't as good as Massey at the time, I thought (not that I would know though). I definitely look forward to trying out the others you've mentioned. I know people rubbish Hudson Park but it's easy to get in on Saturday afternoons, which as you probably know can be a challenge at times - and it's good for practicing the short game.

Thanks for the suggestions, I look forward to trying all those other courses. It's handy having so many in the area!

Nice area. Barnwell Park and Massey Park over Concord/Five Dock way aren't bad options in the area. Barnwell Park has some nice bayside views. Marrickville is a good beginners' course and Bardwell Valley (near Bexley) is another shorter course that's worth a look, as is Bexley itself, which is better again. Then over at Auburn you've got Carnarvon and obviously Hudson Park you're aware of.

All are good beginner options. Carnarvon is easily the best track of the bunch and would be the toughest, IMO. Haven't played Bexley, but Grunt speaks highly of it.