PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary Cove golf? - UPDATE - Now Hope Island

oz
25th March 2009, 01:44 PM
I have a conference at Sanctuary Cove next month.

Is it worth taking the clubs? I will have limited time (probably only 9 holes), and probably have a bunch of non-golfers with me (read: not a serious round).

I presume only the Palms is public access?

TIA

oz

AndyP
25th March 2009, 01:45 PM
I think you can only play the Palms unless you are staying at the resort. I can't comment on the course, as I've never played it.

BrisVegas
25th March 2009, 02:00 PM
Palms is pretty ordinary. If you're a resort guest you should be able to play the Pines. I've never played the Pines, but everyone says it's first class.

kpac
25th March 2009, 02:11 PM
Pines would be a good option for "non serious round". also a bit of a confidence booster of a course. Pines is pretty shmick but will do nothing for your confidence!! Not advised for a non serious round... Palms good reflection of resort golf (Resort first, golf second)

sms316
25th March 2009, 03:21 PM
I've played the Pines, but not the Palms (only seen course diagram and driven past holes on the way to the Pines). Pines is a bloody tough golf course. Has (off the top of my head) 3 par fours of around 430m. Pine trees and water all over the joint. Holes 10 to 18, probably more so than the front nine.

I think the Palms was a bunch of 320m holes with massive target areas. Great for just getting out, but has no real merit in playing it.

If you are playing on your own, go for the front nine at the Pines if you can get on. Just don't take a non-golfer with you.

sms316
25th March 2009, 03:56 PM
We have just about built two brand new holes for the Palms and are hopefully ripping into the rest of the course in May. The place will be shut down for the next 12-18 months.
So will people be able to play those 2 holes?

Webster
25th March 2009, 04:36 PM
it sounds "too good to be true"...

oz
3rd April 2009, 07:47 AM
Apparrently, the conference organisers have arranged a game for us at Hope Island. What can I look forward to?

Jarro
3rd April 2009, 07:49 AM
Apparrently, the conference organisers have arranged a game for us at Hope Island. What can I look forward to?

Probably a game on the best course in SE QLD 8-)

AndyP
3rd April 2009, 07:57 AM
Probably a game on the best course in SE QLD 8-)Brookwater?
Sounds like a good move, oz.

Jarro
3rd April 2009, 08:22 AM
Hope Island is better than Brookwater in my opinion FWIW

markTHEblake
3rd April 2009, 08:47 AM

A gaping hole in your wallet.

oz
4th April 2009, 06:20 AM
A gaping hole in your wallet.

:lol: Is your glass ever half full? :lol:

Yeah - I know it's a pit pricey, but when you live where I do, any game on a great course is expensive - because of the travel $$. In this case, that is already paid for.

Eag's
4th April 2009, 03:03 PM
Hope Island is the best course I have played in SEQ.

markTHEblake
5th April 2009, 03:18 PM
:lol: Is your glass ever half full? :lol:

I reckon I am more optimistic than most. I just don't rate Gold coast Reseort courses highly at all, their price is way above what they are worth, and their attitude towards local golf is contemptible. (except Sanctuary Cove :smt023 )

Yeah - I know it's a pit pricey, but when you live where I do, any game on a great course is expensive - because of the travel $$. In this case, that is already paid for.A game on a great course should be expensive, but there are none here!

From what i have heard you have some the best golf courses in the country, around Albury and along the Murray, and its still rated as one of the better golfing holiday destinations going around.

oz
25th April 2009, 07:40 AM
Well - I played 18 at Hope Island on Tuesday. The greens were very shaggy, with the coring and topdressing still very evident. That aside - what a great golf course. Tee to green it was fun & challenging (especiallly in a pretty decent wind). The couch rough was enough to make you stop and think, without being overly penal on the less experienced players in the group.

I would love to return and play it with the greens in proper condition. It ranks as the best I have played, by some margin. Note: I am yet to make it to Barnbougle, which I expect will trump it.

markTHEblake
25th April 2009, 08:27 AM
there is rough at Hope Island? those fairways are wider than the MCG :lol: