19th March 2009, 08:08 AM
I hope that's USD, or he'll feel terribly underpaid :lol:

Jarro
19th March 2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah.

I'd be keen to pop on down to check him out

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 08:11 AM
Might have to organise an OzGolf Trip to the Masters.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 08:16 AM
They'll rope him into the Open as well for sure. Come to Sydney and see him at NSW GC instead.

Dotty
19th March 2009, 08:36 AM
I hope Stevey uses the Daly method, for handling the picture-taking bogans.

sms316
19th March 2009, 08:47 AM
Does the Masters clash with the Ozgolf champs?

moree golfer
19th March 2009, 09:04 AM
Wouldn't that put some pressure on those 'who have never missed OzGolf champs' :mrgreen::mrgreen:
When I heard it on Sunrise I immediately said to the wife guess where we are going on holidays at the end of the year. The look I got was priceless :smt108

BrisVegas
19th March 2009, 09:05 AM
surely the ozgolf champs can be shifted?

Not so Big Easy
19th March 2009, 09:08 AM
It would be great to see him take on NSW if they could get him here for the Open. I hope this also attracts a lot of our top class players back homer to 'defend' their turf e.g. Ogilvy, Scott, Allenby, Baddeley, Pampling, Appleby, Goggin etc..
Having said that, I'll never forget Tiger on the 18th tee at the Australian GC for the 1996 Australian Open hitting driver. I don't think that ball has landed yet.

markTHEblake
19th March 2009, 09:26 AM
How much is Nike compensating us taxpayers for the free walking billboard they are going to get?

sms316
19th March 2009, 09:32 AM
Here we go. How many people are going to complain aboput the Vic Govt spending the $$$ on Tiger, yet even in this thread people are talking about going there to watch it.

Money well spent IMO.

LarryLong
19th March 2009, 09:33 AM
surely the ozgolf champs can be shifted?

To Victoria? :)

Scottt
19th March 2009, 10:01 AM
How much is Nike compensating us taxpayers for the free walking billboard they are going to get?

Since when is >US$10m a year "free"?

And since when do you pay tax in Victoria?

marcel
19th March 2009, 10:03 AM
Yes it does. I will be in Melb.

The week of the Melb Cup??, there's a shock

markTHEblake
19th March 2009, 10:42 AM
And since when do you pay tax in Victoria?

Laycock!

point stands.

razaar
19th March 2009, 10:44 AM
Tiger will play in the coming Australian Masters. Wooo-hooo.

henno
19th March 2009, 10:45 AM
http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12789

BrisVegas
19th March 2009, 10:46 AM
nice pickup razzer.

razaar
19th March 2009, 10:48 AM
Will have to look further than 1st page of today's postings in future. Petey has his finger on the pulse.

Not so Big Easy
19th March 2009, 10:49 AM

Precisely. Is it a condition of his appearance that his corporate sponsors get automatic entitlements?

Hopefully Nike Australia will see the opportunity and be involved as a sponsor hopefully reducing the taxpayers input.

sms316
19th March 2009, 10:55 AM
Where exactly is Nike doing the wrong thing here? Sounds like they are getting a return for an investment - hardly a criminal act.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 10:57 AM
Why should they NSBE? Since when is Nike or Tiger Woods a charity?

Are we going to offer him a cut of anything over $3m that he brings in?

Didn't think so...

I must have missed all the free Rolling Stones gigs, accommodation giveaways at Hilton Hotels and gratis meals at Rockpool and Tetsuyas... oh yeah, that's right, they're not charities either!

3oneday
19th March 2009, 11:10 AM
Money well spent I reckon, although I am struggling with the fact it's only $3mill aussie ?

3oneday
19th March 2009, 11:11 AM
Nah, have two threads, one for the ones concerned about taxes and one for those who couldn't care less :lol:

henno
19th March 2009, 11:12 AM
Petey has his finger on the pulse.

Actually, he was a little slow. The first post was a full 34 mniutes earlier (http://ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=297487&postcount=758)!

3oneday
19th March 2009, 11:30 AM
I was thinkin the same thing.
Some super bargaining if thats the case, or just a very generous offer by Tige.

I just re read the subject of the thread :oops:, is does actually say US $3,000,000 !

:lol:

sms316
19th March 2009, 11:34 AM
Will Tiger ask Boonie for advice on how to play KH?

razaar
19th March 2009, 11:37 AM
Hahaha..saw the post about a cripple, overlooked the thread and left the computer. Came back after some housework, checked on the news and saw Tiger's article. Failed to see Tiger's name in the threads -didn't make the reference to a cripple + $3M - had my stupid feeling for the day, well first one anyway.:)

Jarro
19th March 2009, 12:00 PM
worst thread ever !!!

henno
19th March 2009, 12:07 PM
I think that title might be held by Scottt's "New Irons" thread.

oz
19th March 2009, 12:08 PM
I will be trying to get down there to see him. Don't know how many opportunities we will get to see him in Oz.

Whilst I don't agree, necessarily, with appearance payments, I understand the logic, and consider it to be a good investment. $3m on Tiger will get more air-time and discussion than $3m worth of advertising, that is for sure.

poidda
19th March 2009, 12:10 PM
Will Tiger ask Boonie for advice on how to play KH?

Only if he downs 52 cans on the flight over.

Jarro
19th March 2009, 12:12 PM
2nd worst thread ever

sms316
19th March 2009, 12:13 PM
worst thread ever !!!

I think that title might be held by Scottt's "New Irons" thread.
Nah. The AFL thread outdoes both of them.

Eag's
19th March 2009, 12:14 PM
I wonder what chance he is of playing the Aus Open as well??
If it wasn't for the Champs being on the same weekend I would be down there for sure.

markTHEblake
19th March 2009, 12:18 PM
If it wasn't for the Champs being on the same weekend I would be down there for sure.

but how much Tiger will you be able to see? The crowds are going to be insane.

sms316
19th March 2009, 12:19 PM
NSW Premier Nathan Rees just said on 2UE that he wouldn't have paid the $$$ for Woods (like Victoria did). Instead he would have spent it on a festival with some random singer that Steve Price hadn't heard of.

Just another example of how bad the NSW government is travelling.

Eag's
19th March 2009, 12:24 PM
Might just have to wait for the Presidents Cup in 2011 then :(

Jarro
19th March 2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe we could lure Tiger to the OzGolf champs while he's here ?

See what you can organise Dick, we know you have a fair bit of clout in the golfing community.

sms316
19th March 2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe we could lure Tiger to the OzGolf champs while he's here ?

See what you can organise Dick, we know you have a fair bit of clout in the golfing community.

Surely he would prefer a trip to Caloundra than Melbourne.
:mrgreen:

He could work on his suntan.

henno
19th March 2009, 12:30 PM
I guess that decides if for me; the champs are out again this year.

I'm sure I'll finally get there next year!

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 12:50 PM
The NSW government does not have the $3 Million to pay for him.

sms316
19th March 2009, 12:53 PM
The NSW government does not have the $3 Million to pay for him.

Bwahahahahaha!
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25209931-5001028,00.html

dc68
19th March 2009, 01:08 PM
Have seen the yank galleries follow him and I reckon the punters here would be heaps worse. The only way to see him would be to park yourself and see him on one hole.

Eag's
19th March 2009, 01:12 PM
Bwahahahahaha!
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25209931-5001028,00.html

Who the **** is Brian Eno??
Wow people in N.S.W. must feel real secure with this clown at the wheel.

poidda
19th March 2009, 01:20 PM
I've seen enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYIr0XKKYzs&feature=related

BrisVegas
19th March 2009, 01:21 PM
wonder if Qld could get him up here for the PGA?

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 01:29 PM
Good chance to see all the other golfers with no morons around!

Russ
19th March 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm kind of disappointed in this. I know I'll get blasted, maybe even labeled a cockhead :), but there's a few things I don't like.

a) Appearance fees at this level of competition are bullshit. You're supposed to be the greatest athlete of all time, the fiercest competitor the game has ever seen and keen to get back out after 8 months a prove you've still got what it takes to be #1 - or is that only valid when they can afford to pay you more than 3x the total prize pool upfront, just in case you can't actually win the event ??? Have a go, or **** off, and then decide who you want to be - Tiger Woods or Paris Hilton.

b) Wouldn't it be better spent just putting that money into the prize pool? Make it a first prize of $1.5-$2 mil. As long as you don't schedule it the same weekend as another high paying/high profile tournament, you'd be able to attract a dozen higher profile players ... not just 1. Wouldn't that be better for the game & it's economy? You get the big names, but you also get their sponsors tagging along - tents full of products for sale & giveaways from a mix of sponsors competing against each other to get your $$$.

Having just Tiger here won't mean shit. It'll be a one time even, and then there'll be nothing left in the tank. What's gonna happen next year?

Webster
19th March 2009, 01:40 PM
I just heard on the radio that in the week that Tiger is here there will be a $25 "out of state visitors tax" on all non Victorians which will pay for his appearance fees. Non Victorians also get charged double for tickets as well. Great stuff.

3oneday
19th March 2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but which of you will yell "get in the hole" when he hits driver ???

:lol:

Webster
19th March 2009, 01:42 PM
sour grapes russ...

3oneday
19th March 2009, 01:46 PM
Having just Tiger here won't mean shit.
Surely just once is enough to inspire hundreds of kids ?

I for one would love to go and see him, to say in 20 years that I saw the greatest golfer ever play live would be something to skite about for sure. The fact that I might have been with 15 yobbos from Ozgolf, well, I'd leave that bit out :lol:

3oneday
19th March 2009, 01:52 PM
Must have that one on ignore, I better check ;)

uahmad
19th March 2009, 02:05 PM
Wow Russ you sound like my GRAND grandpa..

I think its Money well spent.

It will get kids to tune onto the TV, and alot of people to pay interest maybe even take the game up where as normally they would not have even known there was a major golf tourney happening in Australia.

It wouldnt even matter if you got world number 2 through to 10 to come let alone "higher profile players" and not Tiger.

Reason being every tom, dick, harry and his dog knows Tiger but very very few general public know other "high profile players"

A transcript of a conversation in the office.

Golfer "Gee Phil Mickelson and Sergio garcia are playing good lately"
Random "who the **** are they"
Random 2 "sounds like Tennis players"
Golfer "umm no they are golfers"
Random "Oh, I follow golf sometimes but i only know Tiger and Greg"
Random 2 "Yeh tiger is amazing"
Golfer "**bang head"

Russ
19th March 2009, 02:11 PM
sour grapes russ...

Too ****in' right!

Wouldn't you want a Major Australian Golfing event to actually mean something?

How's NZ Golf going? Has the NZ Open prize pool and player profile seriously risen since they paid Tiger $4mil to watch Craig Parry win 7 years ago? Nope!

Tiger being payed $3mil just to play in a comp, the winner of which will only net about $300k max, is a ****ing disgrace.

It's not going to launch golf into a new stratosphere of popularity. They will get more people to the event - but the number of those that will turn into long lasting golfers will be countable on 1 hand. Hardly a staggering result for $3,000,000.

If all they want is publicity to get people in the door, they could have saved $2 mil, and paid Jennifer Hawkins and Miranda Kerr to walk around all weekend in skimpy bikinis handing out free beer.

sms316
19th March 2009, 02:22 PM
THow's NZ Golf going? Has the NZ Open prize pool and player profile seriously risen since they paid Tiger $4mil to watch Craig Parry win 7 years ago? Nope!

Paying out the moola in Melbourne makes commercial sense. I doubt that the Victorian government gives a rats about the viability of golf, just the fact that many people will come to Victoria for the event. In the scheme of things they have done the Victorian taxpayer (in particular - the Melbourne hospitality industry) a favour.

NZ just do not have the population for it to work as well there, without the price of admission becoming ridiculous (which it was).

This is one of the smartest moves by a promoter in ages. Remember how much value promoters got out of John Daly? This will be infinitely bigger.

braddles
19th March 2009, 02:25 PM
Have the dates been announced yet? I am about to start planning flights to Melb.

I saw Tiger at the British Open in 2007. I watched him on the driving range for 30 mins - I don't think he missed a shot! I only saw about 4-5 shots on the course, as everybody was following him. He did nearly hit me when he hooked his iron shot on the first out of bounds. I think the early morning practice round on Wed is the time to see him play.

Hopefully Tiger brings the top Aussies to the Masters, e.g. Badds, Ogilvy, Scott, Goggin.

poidda
19th March 2009, 02:36 PM
If all they want is publicity to get people in the door, they could have saved $2 mil, and paid Jennifer Hawkins and Miranda Kerr to walk around all weekend in skimpy bikinis handing out free beer.

bawahahaha. So 2 smoking birds for 5 days for $1 million. That's 100k a day each to lower themselves to this shyte. Not a chance in the world.

You were right in the first place. You're a cockhead.

EDIT: This is just like the beckham and Galaxy visits around the place. Is he worth it? Simple answer, every cent.

Proof is in the pudding. When was the last time this tournament was talked about so far in advance, and will continue to be for the next 8 months?!?!

Russ
19th March 2009, 02:37 PM
Have the dates been announced yet? I am about to start planning flights to Melb.

Nov. 9-15. Kingston Heath GC.

virge666
19th March 2009, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't you want a Major Australian Golfing event to actually mean something?

Mate,

Forget the golf - it has nothing to do with it. Golf is important to one player and that is the person playing it. No-one else gives a shit.

Melbourne is selling the "EVENT", the spectacle, the person. TW is the most recognizable sportsman in the WORLD. Not the 2nd or third or some chick in a bikini. THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

$3 million is an absolute "no brainier", the state does well by hospitality, the govt does well with extra tax revenue and the kudos goes to Melbourne for actually getting him there.

Melbourne is going to be awash in people. They will easily get 30,000 people through the gates on each day. the coverage Melbourne will get with him here will huge. He will be on the news, on the TV on the current affairs shows - he will be everywhere, all promoting Melbourne and golf.

And - you wait and see the courses and ranges on the following weeks up to Christmas . . betcha more people will be out.

Cheapest $1.5 they have ever spent.

poidda
19th March 2009, 02:49 PM
He will be on the news, on the TV on the current affairs shows - he will be everywhere, all promoting Melbourne and golf.

Not to mention all the American TV and News especially. We all know America doesn't even know there's other parts of the world outside their boarders, but when their Tiger is somewhere they will. Melbourne, and Australia, will collect big time from this.

uahmad
19th March 2009, 02:50 PM
but the number of those that will turn into long lasting golfers will be countable on 1 hand. Hardly a staggering result for $3,000,000.

Unless you're couting the age lines and wrinkles on your hand, I bet you TW will account for more than 5 lasting golfers. Thats a gurantee Sir.

rodders
19th March 2009, 02:51 PM
I heard Tiger reduced his fee as it is a great chance to hook up with sti83, Greg Normal and the rest of the gang - burnouts up Dandenong Rd!!!!

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 03:34 PM
I heard Tiger reduced his fee as it is a great chance to hook up with sti83, Greg Normal and the rest of the gang - burnouts up Dandenong Rd!!!!

:smt046

Russ
19th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Mate,

Forget the golf - it has nothing to do with it. Golf is important to one player and that is the person playing it. No-one else gives a shit.

Melbourne is selling the "EVENT", the spectacle, the person. TW is the most recognizable sportsman in the WORLD. Not the 2nd or third or some chick in a bikini. THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

$3 million is an absolute "no brainier", the state does well by hospitality, the govt does well with extra tax revenue and the kudos goes to Melbourne for actually getting him there.

Melbourne is going to be awash in people. They will easily get 30,000 people through the gates on each day. the coverage Melbourne will get with him here will huge. He will be on the news, on the TV on the current affairs shows - he will be everywhere, all promoting Melbourne and golf.

And - you wait and see the courses and ranges on the following weeks up to Christmas . . betcha more people will be out.

Cheapest $1.5 they have ever spent.

They want to put on a big do, pay Tiger & get a bunch of folks together and have a big golf shindig - no problem.

My problem is with it being the Australian Masters. This event is suppose to mean something as far as Australian golf is concerned, yes? For every other bloke in the field that weekend, golf has everything to do with it. They do give a shit. Guys slugging it out on an Australasian Tour, earning a Brass Razoo compared to their US counterparts. This is their chance to make a name for themselves & have a crack at something that actually means something to them. A springboard for their confidence to tackle bigger things.

None of them will benefit from Tigers presence. Anybody that finishes ahead of him won't earn extra money. Won't garnish extra fame, respect or credentials from the throngs of makeshift golf fans that will attach themselves for a week or 2 - because as you said, no one will give a shit. Anything gained will be extremely short-lived.

It's a big slap in the face to those that have earned their spot in the field, forced to play alongside a guy that wouldn't give them or their Tour the time of day until he was paid to do so.

Something like this should take place during something other than an Australian Major or any other Australian PGA event. They should get together with local & international investors, and organise a big 1-off event. Leave the Tour events for guys that want to be there.

sms316
19th March 2009, 04:01 PM
My problem is with it being the Australian Masters. This event is suppose to mean something as far as Australian golf is concerned, yes? For every other bloke in the field that weekend, golf has everything to do with it. They do give a shit. Guys slugging it out on an Australasian Tour, earning a Brass Razoo compared to their US counterparts. This is their chance to make a name for themselves & have a crack at something that actually means something to them. A springboard for their confidence to tackle bigger things.

The Aussie Masters is a co-sanctioned event (with the Euro Tour). My guess would be that only about 60 Aus Tour players get a start.

The Masters is/was owned by IMG (not sure if this is still the case). As far as they are concerned, this is a form of entertainment (not dissimilar to a rock concert). They want a field that will get people through the gate and make a profit.

I wonder if the television contract for this year is set in stone? :-k

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 04:03 PM
Wah wah wah.

poidda
19th March 2009, 04:29 PM
Imagine being a no name pro in Aus with next to no chance to ever play OS, and you draw Tiger in your group. That would probably the the highlight of may pros career.

burger
19th March 2009, 04:33 PM
I wonder if the television contract for this year is set in stone? :-k
was it part of the Channel 10 deal? if so I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank already!

dc68
19th March 2009, 04:39 PM
I hope he misses the cut.........

Jarro
19th March 2009, 04:40 PM
I really can't see how this won't be anything but great for Australian Golf :-s

braddles
19th March 2009, 05:03 PM
My problem is with it being the Australian Masters. This event is suppose to mean something as far as Australian golf is concerned, yes?

The Australian Masters can't even attract the top Australian players. Last year Scott, Goggin, Badds (defending champ) and Ogilvy skipped the tournament. I wonder if Ogilvy would be playing this year if Tiger hadn't announced he was playing?

I can't see the problem with Tiger playing. The increased media coverage and sell-out crowd will be an invaluable experience for the up and coming Aust players. I bet a number of the players who don't play in the US will follow Tiger for a few holes!

virge666
19th March 2009, 05:05 PM
My problem is with it being the Australian Masters. This event is suppose to mean something as far as Australian golf is concerned, yes?

You do understand that the best golfer in the world is going to play in this tornament don't you ? I reckon that means HEAPS for Aussie golf.

None of them will benefit from Tigers presence. Because as you said, no one will give a shit. Anything gained will be extremely short-lived.

I have mates who played with Tiger in 1996, who saw him in 1996 and STILL don't shutup about him, the drive on the 6th and 18th for a start.

The amount of exposure that any Aussie pro will get during the masters just went up 5 fold. You play well enough to get in his group - the sponsors will THROW money at you.

It's a big slap in the face to those that have earned their spot in the field, forced to play alongside a guy that wouldn't give them or their Tour the time of day until he was paid to do so.

Welcome to professional sport. That is why he is the best, he has earned the right to pick and choose.

Something like this should take place during something other than an Australian Major or any other Australian PGA event. They should get together with local & international investors, and organise a big 1-off event. Leave the Tour events for guys that want to be there.

Bollocks.

markTHEblake
19th March 2009, 07:24 PM
Russ, I agree with your "vibe" just not everything you have said.

I remember David Duval was saying some time ago, that it does cost him something like $50000k just to come here for one week, and then whatever they win, costs something like 30-40% tax. From a business point of view, a trip to Australia is not always viable.

It is a result of the huge amounts of prizemoney and tenfolds in personal sponsorship, that has created the appearance fee phenomenon, which is a shame. These blokes wont get out of bed now for less than a million.

adlo
19th March 2009, 07:34 PM
Good on the Vic's.

I wish other states had a similar attitude when it came to investing into tourism and sport/cultural events.

This is why Melbourne is light years ahead of the rest of Australia.

mike
20th March 2009, 12:00 AM
Someone said it before and I'll say it again. 3 mil is a frikkin bargain with a capital F.

Melbourne is going to be awash in people. They will easily get 30,000 people through the gates on each day.
I wonder what the capacity of KH is because I would anticipate a hell of a lot more than 30,000 through the gates.

kingslayer33
20th March 2009, 03:36 PM
[quote=jarro;297636]Maybe we could lure Tiger to the OzGolf champs while he's here ?quote]

I would have thought STI83 would be the man for the occasion. He does speak to him pretty often...

henno
20th March 2009, 04:18 PM
I would have thought STI83 would be the man for the occasion. He does speak to him pretty often...

You're getting confused with his mate Tiger Woobs. He's good friends with Greg Normal.