PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning golf shoes

TheTrueReview
18th March 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm after a bit of advice.

Recently, I bought a pair of white/tan golf shoes. I made sure I picked up a tub of Footjoy shoe cream as well so I can keep them nice & sparkling.

The only problem is that applying the shoe cream with a rag is a messy affair. I ended up with white shoe cream on some of the tan leather bits & also on the side of the soles of the shoes. After that experience, I went in search of some sort of applicator (at a number of shoe repair stores) which would make it easy to apply shoe cream. No such luck. It appears there is so such thing invented.

I was wondering (from those who bother to clean their golf shoes) what you guys use to apply shoe cream?

markTHEblake
18th March 2009, 11:39 PM
I used to use Dubbin, regardless of shoe, dont need to worry about the colour then.

Courty
18th March 2009, 11:42 PM
What Blakey said.

TheTrueReview
18th March 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm guessing Dubbin keeps the dirt off but keeps them looking 'like new' white?

markTHEblake
18th March 2009, 11:49 PM
no, it keeps the leather shiney and supple. you want glossy white shoes, get a can of dulux and a pair of tights to go with it :-)

Dotty
18th March 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm guessing Dubbin keeps the dirt off but keeps them looking 'like new' white?
Dubbin here also, applied with a hand up an old sock. Mainly for keeping the moisture out, esp. the dew on the long grass.

But I find it tends to attract the dust on very dry courses, so shoes don't stay pristine white for long.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 03:34 AM
I just give my white Cally shoes a scrub with some warm water and a toothbrush on any areas that get dirty. They're still pristine 18 months later...

razaar
19th March 2009, 07:40 AM
I just give my white Cally shoes a scrub with some warm water and a toothbrush on any areas that get dirty. They're still pristine 18 months later...
Agree...with neutral leather conditioner every now & then. Keep the soft spikes clean and replace when they start to wear.

BrisVegas
19th March 2009, 08:47 AM
you can clean golf shoes? who knew!

razaar
19th March 2009, 08:56 AM
you can clean golf shoes? who knew!
and the bathroom, toilet, floors, walls etc.:)

burger
19th March 2009, 03:29 PM
I clean mine with this sport shoe spray cleaner first and then . . .

Dubbin here also, applied with a hand up an old sock. Mainly for keeping the moisture out, esp. the dew on the long grass.

But I find it tends to attract the dust on very dry courses, so shoes don't stay pristine white for long.

wot the dotmeister said . . . .

beanbag
19th March 2009, 03:52 PM
i use leather cleaner wipes , got them for the car first up but now use them for both, keeped in the car ,give them a wipedown after every round

Rusty
19th March 2009, 03:52 PM
white shoes & white shirts - they don't stay white for long

GC
19th March 2009, 05:42 PM
and the bathroom, toilet, floors, walls etc.:)

They say " Cleaning has never killed anyone " but i for one aren't willing to risk it! :)

Jarro
19th March 2009, 05:44 PM
Warm soapy water and a wet rag .... that's all i use.

Jarro
19th March 2009, 06:08 PM
Speaking of which, have you cleaned out that garage yet ?

just
19th March 2009, 06:15 PM
As someone who had to wear white leather shoes for my job for many years, here is my advice:
1. Don't get shoes with white leather!
2. If you don't listen to 1, do the following, use warm soapy water to clean the shoes, including using a toothbrush to scrub dirt out of the creases, and then apply a neutral shoe cleaner or dubbin.

Rusty
19th March 2009, 06:42 PM
ah so you really were part of the white shoe brigade!

Flowergirl
19th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Cleaning advice?? You boys are so cute.:mrgreen:

burger
24th March 2009, 11:54 AM
As someone who had to wear white leather shoes for my job for many years

were you in the Navy just?

just
24th March 2009, 05:41 PM
were you in the Navy just?
Yes

burger
26th March 2009, 02:12 PM
That was the only job I could come up with requiring white shoes other than a pimp. :smt087 :wink:

And I didn't want to throw that out there as a first choice!

grandmasterb
27th March 2009, 11:42 PM
Dubbin here as well but with my old shoes i just wipe them over with some metho and always make sure i clean the spikes/soles after i wear them.