PDA

View Full Version : Alcho-pop tax killed in the senate.

Dazza
18th March 2009, 10:16 PM
Alcopops price to drop after tax defeat

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25206278-421,00.html

Fielding sides with Opposition
Bill defeated 32 to 31 votes
Crack open the Passion Pop - Xenophon

PRE-MIXED drinks will be cheaper within weeks after the Rudd Government's alcopops tax was defeated today.
The legislation was defeated 32 votes to 31 votes with Senator Steve Fielding voting with the Opposition.

The Family First leader held the balance of power after the Greens and independent Nick Xenophon sided with the Government.

Senator Fielding refused to back the 70 per cent tax hike on ready-to-drink alcoholic beverages because the Government wouldn't ban liquor advertising on television during daytime sporting broadcasts.

The Commonwealth has collected about $290 million from the tax since it was introduced by regulation in April last year.

The Government expected the anti-binge drinking measure to raise $1.6 billion over four years.

The health minister's parliamentary secretary, Jan McLucas, said the defeat of the Bill was a very sad day for the health outcomes of all Australians, but particularly teenagers.

Key health bodies had backed the tax hike as an effective way of curbing binge drinking, Senator McLucas said.

Earlier today, Senator Xenophon pleaded with Senator Fielding not to vote against Labor's laws.

If the legislation was rejected the alcohol industry would be cracking open the Passion Pop, he said.

Greens leader Bob Brown called Senator Fielding’s stance irresponsible.

"Senator Fielding is the boy on the burning deck saying I'm going to throw you a lifeline having set flame to the ship," he told the Senate.

"Senator Fielding is scuttling legislation which has huge advantages for the Australian people and he'll be judged for it.

"But does he have the shoulders to bear the responsibility?"

Senator Brown said Senator Fielding was immature for saying he'd vote against the Bill because he hadn't got everything he wanted.

The Government had agreed to two of his demands: Warning labels on alcohol containers and an end to self-regulation of alcohol advertising.

"With Senator Fielding it's 'Give me what I want or no deal ... I'll dump all the gains made but the other senators''," the Greens leader said.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon had agreed to invest an extra $50 million in initiatives, including a sports sponsorship fund and alcohol helpline if the alcopops tax was passed unamended.

With the Herald Sun

henno
18th March 2009, 10:18 PM
Say what you will about the validity of the alcopops tax, but nothing will take away from the fact that Steve Fielding is an idiot.

Scottt
18th March 2009, 10:23 PM
What are they going to do with the millions they have been collecting since it was introduced?

just
18th March 2009, 10:32 PM
It goes back to/stays with the manufacturers.

Moe Norman
18th March 2009, 10:39 PM
Turnbull said recently he would vote for the retrospective tax but not pass it for the future. Ie. Keep what you have collected, but don't take any more.

The alco pop tax is a bit silly as it just drives teenagers to buy the real stuff in the bottle straight up, so they can save some cash. (or buy a few e's!)

PeteyD
18th March 2009, 10:57 PM
It is a lot silly. Teenagers drink casks wine and passion pop. stupid government. could be a double dissolution trigger though ...

Scottt
18th March 2009, 11:01 PM
Let's hope so!

Kids drink, in reality, whatever they can get their hands on.

Moe Norman
18th March 2009, 11:19 PM
unless they are referring to teenagers of the 18 and 19 year old variety.

As its pretty pointless coming up with legislation suited to 15 year old drinkers, when legislation exists that says its illegal for them to be drinkers in the first place!

3oneday
19th March 2009, 07:33 AM
Didn't have these girly drinks when I was that age. What's wrong with beer I ask ???

henno
19th March 2009, 07:42 AM
(queue old man voice) When I was a kid, we used to mix our own scotch and coke.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 07:45 AM
I recall stupidly necking JD from the bottle at 16. Young, dumb and full of c*m indeed...

AndyP
19th March 2009, 07:49 AM
Good news for the bogans that drink from the can too.

goughy
19th March 2009, 07:58 AM
I've said this for ages, but why do our tax dollars go back to the companies??? It was collected from us, not them.

Personally I think the Govt should just keep it. Otherwise, give it to charity or something. It shouldn't be a bonus to the drink companies.

And now I can afford jw&dry cans again :)

henno
19th March 2009, 08:07 AM
I've said this for ages, but why do our tax dollars go back to the companies???

Spirits industry doesn't want alcopop tax refund (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/19/2520155.htm)

BrisVegas
19th March 2009, 09:03 AM
well, seeing as i drink < 1 carton of Bundy & Cola cans a year, this doens't impact me greatly. but I'll take the few $$ savings thanks!